Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Carriers are really support vehicles

14 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,102 posts

So - for me - it's a mini-revelation, see? The overall ability of the "team" to engage the reds effectively determines what a carrier can or cannot do in a match. 

If the team is confident, organized at least in pairs or triplets and focusing fire, the carrier's job is easy. Keep those reds spotted, work over the stragglers and at tiers where you have them, deploy your fighter aircraft strategically. I propose such a match you'll get an average score with your carrier, but if your team's really clicking, you could do really well.

If the team is a bit disorganized, taking a while to get the steam up or worse yet, beaching at each other in the first minute, you role shifts. You have to find the strongest players, keep an eye on them but assist in "propping up" the weak side until the team pulls out of their collective funk or starts getting hammered on.

Both scenarios, imo, I'm a support ship - not a primary assault vehicle.

I will admit - if we're down more than 50 percent of our fleet, I'll deal with the closest (to me) targets first. At that point, its quite often every ship for their own self. 

What do you guy think about the three scenarios? 

How do you see the role of the carrier? 

tiafyc

• Cool 3

[LODGE]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,713 posts
4,948 battles

Reitz you are spot on sir! A thousand plus ones to you!

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

Kind of? Unfortunately, the way AA is set up right now means carriers often can't strike the targets that really need to be struck. Carriers have always felt more like a reaper that exists to punish the enemy's mistakes.

Edited by Frenotx

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,102 posts
9 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

Kind of? Unfortunately, the way AA is set up right now means carriers often can't strike the targets that really need to be struck. Carriers have always felt more like a reaper that exists to punish the enemy's mistakes.

Well I'm hoping if WoWS sees them this way, maybe they'll tweak some things here and there so carriers can better fill the role. 

[SANK]
Members
301 posts
6,004 battles

I came to this conclusion this weekend on PTS. Playing in a Coop, I could not carry or even influence the match without other ships. The match I was in had the bots all yolo, so I was the only ship left against 2 BBs and 2 CLs. Even with the bots trying to let me win, I just could not do the damage to them I needed to to even threaten a win.

Unlike any other ship class, a CV REQUIRES other ships in game, and cannot compete otherwise. There performance depends solely on how the other ships do.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,750 posts
11,049 battles

That's what they have always been - even in RTS. A group of ships working together is safe, a solo ship, especially with bad AA, you made a poor choice. 

It's why I say lower the damage a bit, keep the accuracy, up the floods - make them about disabling ships and DoT. Have been for years.

[KREW]
Members
488 posts
11,055 battles

Yes, very much so honestly... just support ships in this game, with no alpha strike capability at all.

IRL, however, they were the primary strike ships (alpha) and all other ships were (and still are) mere support vessels for the CVs... WG has turned reality on it's head to force-fit CVs into this game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,550 posts

Of course..   Reality is that they are ALL support vehicles.

Only person in control is the armed foot-soldier, and he's only in control of the ground he's standing on.

[5D]
Members
884 posts
11,318 battles
11 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

That's what they have always been - even in RTS. A group of ships working together is safe, a solo ship, especially with bad AA, you made a poor choice. 

It's why I say lower the damage a bit, keep the accuracy, up the floods - make them about disabling ships and DoT. Have been for years.

The damage output is already so low , a DD using his gun can already do more damage every 5 sec than a CV , the hole things need to be buff by 2-3x just to be good , 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,750 posts
11,049 battles
14 minutes ago, dad003 said:

The damage output is already so low , a DD using his gun can already do more damage every 5 sec than a CV , the hole things need to be buff by 2-3x just to be good , 

They fix AA balance right, it's actually not. That and improve fire and flood chance damage can seriously add up, especially with accuracy dialed in in areas so that instead of 1 hit that does a ton with 5 misses maybe 4 hits with closer to that 1. Which is more chances to start a fire or flood. When AA isn't overboard I'm racking up 100k+ easy, so damage is not nearly that big an issue in that regard.

[5D]
Members
884 posts
11,318 battles
2 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

They fix AA balance right, it's actually not. That and improve fire and flood chance damage can seriously add up, especially with accuracy dialed in in areas so that instead of 1 hit that does a ton with 5 misses maybe 4 hits with closer to that 1. Which is more chances to start a fire or flood. When AA isn't overboard I'm racking up 100k+ easy, so damage is not nearly that big an issue in that regard.

100k DMG is nothing  if we were talking about 200-250k would be a different story , 100k DMG will not carry a team if they are all potato .

I play the t8 rn CV and the only time I get top tier do around 120k DMG and get potato every time and cannot carry because CV doesn't have the mean to carry at the moment when every other class can 

[KSE]
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,616 posts
15,366 battles

I had a match in my Midway last night that was pretty typical of what I have been seeing lately.  I did a lot of early damage to a Grozovoi trying to cap, who eventually ran from his smoke in cap allowing me to kill him.  That was the first 17k damage of the match and occurred by the three to four-minute mark.   I did 13k damage more for the rest of the entire match, because of BB/MINO/WORCESTER AA balls that never allowed me to get more than the first of three strikes off before eating my squadron.  I shot down 27 planes due to judicious use of the fighter consumable and had 97k in spotting damage.  I was 5th on the team with 1490 xp in our win, but I only did 30k damage with one kill. 

So yes, CV's right now are not a lot of fun to play and are pretty much relegated to supporting the team for spotting and making DD's miserable.  I doubt this is what WG intended, but it's what they got.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,750 posts
11,049 battles
1 minute ago, dad003 said:

100k DMG is nothing  if we were talking about 200-250k would be a different story , 100k DMG will not carry a team if they are all potato .

I play the t8 rn CV and the only time I get top tier do around 120k DMG and get potato every time and cannot carry because CV doesn't have the mean to carry at the moment when every other class can 

No ship in this game can carry a full potato team. Had a match last night, 180k - loss. Had a match get to 200k - lost. Had a match in RTS when CV could supposedly carry at just under my 251k record - loss. 6 kill games in Fujin/Kami - loss. Seen players in the other types get 8 kills, stupid high damage - and lose. Players better than me. 1 person can only compensate for so much potato.

Your also I think missing the point that yes, I'm saying lower the alpha a bit - not much, save maybe Hak torps and a couple others, just a bit but increase ability to gain damage from fires and floods, namely by increasing ability to get the hits to get them. Literally slow down an advancing team with floods, easier to set 4 fires and watch them burn, trap a ship turning in a circle, maybe even destroy the weapons it has beyond secondaries and some AA. Wear them down over time.

Members
393 posts
2,467 battles

@Herr_Reitz This is exactly how I play CV's now and I am finding pretty good success.  I don't give a rats about personal damage or the like, my efforts are mostly in enhancing the force of others or disrupting a strong enemy flank.

Seems to be working out.

Sign in to follow this