You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

USS Sims (US Premium Tier 7 DD) on sale for stupid cheap in premium shop

69 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
16,310 posts
11,166 battles

She's $21.79 in Canadian dollars, so I'm guessing maybe $15 US? This is the basic ship plus a port slot (and usually a zero-point captain), no frills. This is a 30% saving. She is an agile ship with an alleged built in BASE XP buff, whose torpedoes were recently improved - among other things, her shorter-range, harder-hitting fast torps are now (slightly) greater in range than her best concealment, which is something of a game-changer. She is also renowned for her AA capabilities, although you have to swap out Speed Boost to get that.

Spending $35.90 CAD will get you the Admiral pack, which adds a 10 point captain, 2 million credits (helps when buying those upgrade-slot modules) and 2000 doubloons. You need to decide if your budget can stretch to this or if it's worth it.

I would encourage DD mains who can afford it and are working up the US line - or have completed the line and want a first-win-mining ship - to snap one up if they have not already. I'm greatly enjoying mine.

[KWF]
Members
3,804 posts
5,502 battles

Were the Dynamo mission still in rotation this would be very enticing to farm easy Free XP by the thousands. Now it's pretty uncertain.

• Cool 2

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles

"USS Sims (US Premium Tier 7 DD) on sale for stupid cheap in premium shop"

Oh really? Or maybe are the others that are stupid expensive?

• Cool 10
  • Funny 2

[WOLF8]
Members
6,093 posts
5,591 battles

It's 30% off on the bare basic "the ship and a port slot only" bundle, making it USD 17.29.

AFAIK, WG started doing this with since last game version (0.8.0.0), but with a different ship. I believe it was... Kidd? Or was it Monaghan? I don't remember. Either way, I hope WG keep doing this, rotating around through different ships and giving them discounts. I personally thinks it's a decent deal, especially if anyone was thinking about getting the ship for a while.

[--O--]
Members
470 posts
21 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Or maybe the CV Rework is hitting Wging in the pocket book.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,795 posts
24,399 battles
35 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

An item's value is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.  You may not be willing to pay but many others are.  Thus, they are effectively setting the sale price and not you.  This is just basic economics, dude.

Edit: Downvote it all you want.  That doesn't change the FACTS.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

An item's value is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.  You may not be willing to pay but many others are.  Thus, they are effectively setting the sale price and not you.  This is just basic economics, dude.

The problem with your statement is that not everybody lives in USA or Canada. This is the NA server but it is used to all countries from SA , all the way up to Canada. So the moment you compare the minimum wage between countries like USA or Brazil where i live atm you will notice a big difference.

[SALVO]
Members
23,795 posts
24,399 battles
Just now, _no_one_ said:

The problem with your statement is that not everybody lives in USA or Canada. This is the NA server but it is used to all countries from SA , all the way up to Canada. So the moment you compare the minimum wage between countries like USA or Brazil where i live atm you will notice a big difference.

That doesn't change anything.  Economics are the same all around the world.  The price of an item is still set by what people are willing to pay.  That does NOT mean that the price in the US will be the same as the price in the Ukraine or Brazil. It just means that the prices in those locales will be set the customers in those locals.

Seriously, have you never taken Econ 101?  Jeez.

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I would pay $35 for the sims all day long.

[KWF]
Members
3,804 posts
5,502 battles
28 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

It's 30% off on the bare basic "the ship and a port slot only" bundle, making it USD 17.29.

AFAIK, WG started doing this with since last game version (0.8.0.0), but with a different ship. I believe it was... Kidd? Or was it Monaghan? I don't remember. Either way, I hope WG keep doing this, rotating around through different ships and giving them discounts. I personally thinks it's a decent deal, especially if anyone was thinking about getting the ship for a while.

If memory serves, it was Atlanta before Sims. I guess AA capable ship sales and CV rework go well together :Smile_trollface:.

[ARGSY]
Members
16,310 posts
11,166 battles
46 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

I got her when she was offered recently for a reduced doubloon price, but I did not calculate the exact price. It may have been the same as this when everything was taken into account, but that tech-tree price did not include a port slot (good thing I had one open).

I had not seen her offered for this sort of cash price before, so I thought to inform others of the opportunity. You can put whatever value on that price you wish, or draw whatever conclusions you like about her worth.

@Mustangrde1, I find your lack of faith disturbing. :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF8]
Members
6,093 posts
5,591 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If memory serves, it was Atlanta before Sims. I guess AA capable ship sales and CV rework go well together :Smile_trollface:.

You're right, I remember now, it was Atlanta. LOL.

It seems so, about the CV rework. WG is sneakily trying to sell AA ships... except they themselves made CV's less appealing to play for a lot of people, lel.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

That does NOT mean that the price in the US will be the same as the price in the Ukraine or Brazil.

Oh really? Tell that to WG . I am going to tell you what is the current price in the Sims.

71.99 R = 18.61 us dollars

What is the current price for the Sims in NA premium shop atm?

[ARGSY]
Members
16,310 posts
11,166 battles
5 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Oh really? Tell that to WG . I am going to tell you what is the current price in the Sims.

@Blorgh2017 said $17.29 US upthread, but I'm not sure if they were doing the currency conversion from Canadian dollars at today's rate or reporting the actual US dollar list price as viewed from a U.S. IP address. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SALVO]
Members
23,795 posts
24,399 battles
5 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

The CURRENT price of the Sims in the NA premium ship is a SALE price, not it's normal price.  Try again.

[ARGSY]
Members
16,310 posts
11,166 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

The CURRENT price of the Sims in the NA premium ship is a SALE price, not it's normal price.  Try again.

He's trying to clarify the listed sale price as described for U.S. customers.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF8]
Members
6,093 posts
5,591 battles

Screenshot for those who have any doubt. I live in California, BTW. That's in U.S.

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.85771d37fada0ea73dc49c61a8f929da.png

Normal price is just under USD 25.00. The Admiral Pack next to it comes with a 10 point commander and some credits & doubloons. I also think it's a good deal, if you also want a decent commander for the ship to start with.

Edited by Blorgh2017
grammar

[CUTIE]
Privateers
332 posts
6,179 battles
1 hour ago, Pytheas said:

Still not worth it

Yes it is, it’s amazing to the enemy CV when you wipe out their squad, the torpedo range is great, guns are fast. I got it with dubs after waiting to long for Monaghan and I have no regrets

[KWF]
Members
3,804 posts
5,502 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Blorgh2017 said $17.29 US upthread, but I'm not sure if they were doing the currency conversion from Canadian dollars at today's rate or reporting the actual US dollar list price as viewed from a U.S. IP address. 

To contribute to the pricing, I get a 15,56 EUR pricetag for Sims. That said VAT in different countries plays a big role.

As for the currency exchange rate I think WG gave us at some point a converter on which they were basing their conversions.

Edited by warheart1992

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

He's trying to clarify the listed sale price as described for U.S. customers.

Anyway, i only want to make it clear one point. The price shows that are very similar between these 2 countries . This tell us one thing only. It is because the fact the server prices is equal to all the players in the Americas that shows that what regulates the prices (offer and demand ) is the usa player market. It is impossible to compete with the usa market in equal ground. They have an huge population and are the richer country in the world. So for the other players in countries from the third world that belongs to NA server they don't have the same financial power to acquire the same goods.

So when someone goes tell me that product is cheap , well it can be for you, but for mine reality sure isn't.

That is WG basics economy 101 for you Crucis.

• Cool 2

[CLARE]
Members
565 posts
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Were the Dynamo mission still in rotation this would be very enticing to farm easy Free XP by the thousands. Now it's pretty uncertain.

^ what they said.  Without Dynamo it is worthless, ergo it is "on sale".

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,562 posts
21,117 battles

$17 for Sims seems alright.  I would not pay full price for it these days as it's been power crept.  The concealment is A-W-F-U-L and only got worse and worse as WG has released more and more newer DDs around her that are a lot stealthier.  Secondly are her awful torpedoes, or more correctly, "Water Mines."  They're slow and do very low damage.  The "Water Mines" are more an annoyance to the enemy and a game meme than they are a real threat to the enemy.  If anyone sinks to a Sims Water Mine, everyone deserves to laugh at you.

If she can get into a fight where her agility and fast firing, fast turning guns are in effect, she's great.  It's just getting into that fight is the problematic part when you got 6.8km detection and more DDs even within Tier VII that are vastly stealthier than you.  Then there's still the super stealthy, still dangerous VIII-IX DDs you contend with.

Again, you will find few DDs that will dance and fight in a knife fight as well as Sims.  But with 6.8km detection, your rivals will see you coming a mile away, outspot you by a long distance, and get their friends to shoot you up without engaging you themselves.  This isn't 2015-2016 anymore where Sims was a much better DD for the game before all the power creep.

Operations?  She carried Operation Dynamo before the CV Rework and changes to AA.  Not sure how that will go today.  Before the rework her AA Build range was 7.2km.  Operation Narai, she's terrible as her torpedoes suck so bad.  DDs in Narai are there to quickly put down Missouri with a torpedo rush before MO destroys any of your transports or wrecks a teammate, and Sims' torps / mines are far too weak.  DDs with high torpedo alpha are more valuable in Narai.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[A-D-F]
Members
1,082 posts
8,651 battles
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

Just before they nerf the AA on it? :Smile_trollface:

Pretty much. As if anybody can tell us what the value of Sims will be during this "transitional time", let alone three months from now.