Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KAAOS_Frosty

CV Torp's

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

180
[SHPFC]
Members
243 posts
7,469 battles

Is it just me or are the Torp's for CV's useless. Tired of dropping torp's landing 14 or more of them for about 2200-2400 per torp on the Midway and getting 1 flood or 0 floods for little to 0 damage on the floods. Does the same Problem occur in the Tier 10 IJN line as well???? For CV's to be dealing their damage as a D.O.T. that is a hard pill to swallow. If you can't apply the D.O.T. your not getting any Damage from it. With that said I know the IJN CV's have AP bombs so no chance of Fire for a D.O.T. there and the Rockets don't really do that much Damage and have a very low chance of fire. With that said is the IJN line even worth it???? 

I have the Midway, Shokaku, Ranger, and Hermes. 

 

Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,387
[SOV]
Members
3,276 posts

The dot damage is a real problem. I actual think ranger is the best cv in its own way. The torp bomber turn ver fast and get a decent flood chance. The bombs work.

They need to give alpha or very high flood chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,153
[RLGN]
Members
12,597 posts
22,417 battles

Torps are all I can get to work; bombs are useless and rockets nerfed into oblivion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
710
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,046 posts
19,789 battles

IJN torps were supposed to get an increased flood chance to offset their longer arming distance, but it got taken away with no adjustment to the other.  Now they are just harder to use, do nothing torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,469
[SALVO]
Members
23,735 posts
24,364 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Torps are all I can get to work; bombs are useless and rockets nerfed into oblivion.

I think that torps are generally the best damage producers, but overall, all CV weapons are rather lame.  I don't think that dive bombs are useless.  They're just brutally difficult to get hits with when your CV is down 2 tiers, due to the relative strength of AA 2 tiers higher than your carrier.  And rockets have been wrongly made all but useless against DDs.  They are still useful against larger targets.

The problem I see with rockets on high tier USN CVs, is that you end up with 2 choices, the HVAR rockets (IIRC) and the Tiny Tim rockets.  The HVARs used to be good against DDs due to being more numerous (i.e. denser volleys), even if each hit did less damage per rocket.  And Tiny Tims seem to be better against larger ships.  But with the rocket nerf making attacks on DDs painfully difficult, Tiny Tims seem to be the better choice for no other reason than they *are* more useful against larger ships … which in turn makes rocket planes even less useful against DDs. 

And frankly, this is just plain wrong.

Rockets should really be the anti-DD weapon of choice, while torpedoes and bombs should be the weapons of choice vs larger ships.

Part of me would like to see Rocket planes be given a second attack, i.e. strafing with their guns.  After all "rocket planes" were fighters with rockets hung under their wings.  These guns wouldn't necessarily do major damage, and might be nearly useless vs BBs and more heavily armored cruisers. But they might be able to do decent damage vs DDs.  Enough that they'd be good for finishing off badly wounded DDs.  Frankly, it's annoying as hell to be flying a rocket plane squadron and be unable to land a single hit even with multiple passes, because WG nerfed rocket planes into oblivion.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,469
[SALVO]
Members
23,735 posts
24,364 battles
34 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

The dot damage is a real problem. I actual think ranger is the best cv in its own way. The torp bomber turn very fast and get a decent flood chance. The bombs work.

They need to give alpha or very high flood chance.

I'd be happy if they left the chance to start a dot low, but increased the alpha.  I prefer dependably consistent damage over dots, which require ridiculous amounts of luck.  It's one thing to have smaller ships with many high ROF guns be somewhat DoT dependent, because they DO have high ROF guns and can usually depend on getting their fires started based on nothing more than landing so many shots that RNG will eventually have to give you some fires.  But with CV planes, you don't get all that many chances to start dots because you don't have that many weapons, and then it takes time to get another squadron out there to follow up any DoT you did start if the enemy repair it.  And with the DoT  start chances being so low and the time to get  back to the target from your CV so high, the chances are pretty damned good that your target's DC party has already completed its cooldown, so even if you did start another dot, when your planes headed back, the target could just use his DCP all over again. 

Frankly, I think that at this point, all of WG's talk about how they wanted CVs to be more dependent on DOT damage is so much bullcrap.  The only ships you have any chance of getting a sticky DOT on are those enemy ships that are currently under attack from your team, and may have had to use a DCP already.  But against that BB that got separated from his team mates and might be out of range of your team mates, he's going to be able to DCP your DOTs (unless he's one of those limited DCP Russian BBs) faster than you can start them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[COB45]
[COB45]
Members
24 posts
6,896 battles

Yeah show me a historic battle where ships took 16 torpedos and shot down 40 planes its stupid.

The first thing they have to do is fix the match making system, and add a roll up system. A T8 ship balanced to fight T8/9/10 will destroy T6 aircraft all day long the MM should roll up if they are going to leave the gap at 3 tiers. If they narrow it to two teirs then balance gets easier but workload increases. In case i'm being vauge a roll up means matches are made upward, so a teir 3 would be matched T3/4/5 or two teir T2/3/4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,387
[SOV]
Members
3,276 posts
36 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'd be happy if they left the chance to start a dot low, but increased the alpha.  I prefer dependably consistent damage over dots, which require ridiculous amounts of luck.  It's one thing to have smaller ships with many high ROF guns be somewhat DoT dependent, because they DO have high ROF guns and can usually depend on getting their fires started based on nothing more than landing so many shots that RNG will eventually have to give you some fires.  But with CV planes, you don't get all that many chances to start dots because you don't have that many weapons, and then it takes time to get another squadron out there to follow up any DoT you did start if the enemy repair it.  And with the DoT  start chances being so low and the time to get  back to the target from your CV so high, the chances are pretty damned good that your target's DC party has already completed its cooldown, so even if you did start another dot, when your planes headed back, the target could just use his DCP all over again. 

Frankly, I think that at this point, all of WG's talk about how they wanted CVs to be more dependent on DOT damage is so much bullcrap.  The only ships you have any chance of getting a sticky DOT on are those enemy ships that are currently under attack from your team, and may have had to use a DCP already.  But against that BB that got separated from his team mates and might be out of range of your team mates, he's going to be able to DCP your DOTs (unless he's one of those limited DCP Russian BBs) faster than you can start them.

 

 

Agreed. I wonder what the post would look like from a DD player that landed 10 torps and got 20k damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,469
[SALVO]
Members
23,735 posts
24,364 battles
10 minutes ago, Cascalonginous said:

Yeah show me a historic battle where ships took 16 torpedos and shot down 40 planes its stupid.

The first thing they have to do is fix the match making system, and add a roll up system. A T8 ship balanced to fight T8/9/10 will destroy T6 aircraft all day long the MM should roll up if they are going to leave the gap at 3 tiers. If they narrow it to two teirs then balance gets easier but workload increases. In case i'm being vauge a roll up means matches are made upward, so a teir 3 would be matched T3/4/5 or two teir T2/3/4.

Well, the Yamato took at least 11 torpedoes and 6 bomb hits before sinking.  But only 12 air crew were lost during the attack on the Yamato and her escorts, out of the 280 planes that were in the air attack.

Anyways, as much as some people hate 2 CV battles in WoWS, imagine what those sailors in the IJN must have felt when planes from EIGHT carriers were sent after them.  And to make matters worse, the USN had a force of six battleships (Massachusetts, Indiana, New Jersey, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Missouri), together with seven cruisers (including the large cruisers Alaska and Guam) and 21 destroyers ready as a backup plan, in case the air attacks failed.  As powerful as the Yammy was, I don't think that the Yammy, 1 CL, and 8 DDs had a prayer of surviving against such a powerful surface force that included 3 South Dakota class BBs and 3 Iowa class BBs, not to mention 2 Alaska class CBs.  For WW2, that was one very potent surface force.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[SHPFC]
Members
243 posts
7,469 battles

I would like to hear what WG has to say. They know the MM is jacked up. Don't think they have any intention of adjusting it. I hate taking my tier 8 out. I would venture to say I am paired with 10's more often than anyone would like. I would rather take my Tirpitz against 10's. At least then I know I can do some type of reliable damage. Tier 8 CV vs's Tier 10 BB/CA/CL/and some DD's is just scouting and losing planes. But if the CV's are D.O.T. reliant for good damage what will change??? Midway has no issues getting fires to start from Tiny Tim's and Bomb's but can't start a flood with out landing 10+ torp's to get 1 flood. Not to mention the Torp's are so slow and do so little damage. Most ships even with proper lead allowing for arming of Torp's will easily Dodge/Avoid 4 to 6 of the Torp's that are dropped. Mind you your dropping 6 to get 1-2 hits unless the player is just broadside sailing or beached themselves. At best then with the 6 hits with almost no chance to start a Flood is only about 12k-14k Damage. In my experience the IJN carriers do have higher alpha's but Chance to start a Fire solely relies on your rockets which are poor and have a weak chance to do so. The torp's have a higher Alpha but chance of Flood is still really weak. Flood damage isn't a death sentence any longer and the damage is less. The AP bombs are good for doing damage if you can get them to land good. Midway drops 6 bombs and they do great Damage and start Fires. IJN should be able to delete ships when they are hit with multiple Cit's at least. I have triple Citadel'd a BB with the AP bombs to watch him repair back up. Had a BB hit 3 Cit's that BB would have been deleted. 

 

Frosty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×