Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jayhawk226

How to DD in Coop mode

22 comments in this topic

[KRON]
[KRON]
Members
95 posts
3,099 battles

Okay I suck at DDs. I am either too aggressive or ...well I am not good. I am trying to learn to git gud.

What are some tips/tricks on playing DDs in Coop. Is it better to hang back a bit until the bot group is sighted? Smoke up?  Should I hold my torps until the are close? 

You know the drill I get spotted and boom 175 ships shoot me. (yes I know there aren't 175 ships, but bots cheat.)

Please help me, I am dying too fast and  while normally i would just go to another class, I need the IJN DDs for the Exeter mission.

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,502 posts

get use to deselecting a target before firing the torps

i.e. you get the grey torp lead indicator, put the green torp aim point over the grey lead indicator, then deselect the target so the grey lead indicator disappears (or goes to some other target), then fire your torps after a slight correction to account for the time to deselect the target, deselecting the target stops the AI from immediately reacting to you launching the torps.

don't ask me what the default key is to deselect a target, I don't use the default keys being a LH mouse user.

Edited by b101uk
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
88 posts
3,815 battles
2 minutes ago, b101uk said:

i.e. you get the grey torp lead indicator, put the green torp aim point over the grey lead indicator, then deselect the target so the grey lead indicator disappears, then fire your torps after a slight correction to account for the time to deselect the target, deselecting the target stops the AI from immediately reacting to you launching the torps.

don't ask me what the default key is to deselect a target, I don't use the default keys being a LH mouse user.

It's the "x" key.

I just learned about this mechanic in the other thread.  The fact that it works is pretty silly, but it does indeed seem to work.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,272 posts
25,119 battles

Map awareness. Cover. Maneuver to keep cover between yourself and bots. Shamelessly using allies to spot so you can close behind cover and ambush. Shamelessly using allies to spot so you can smoke and stealth fire. Knowing when it’s worth trying to bum rush a bot. WASD.

There are some who say tactics are pointless; just charge and kill the bots...

...that never works for me.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,560 battles

Playing a destroyer against bots is pretty tuff. Remember you can conceal yourself from their view but they always know where you are at and will come straight at you or follow you no matter what. In other words the bots cheat... The good news is there is little need of spotting playing against the AI since they almost always attack. IMHO the best way to DD in PvE is to stay behind the other ships, particularly BBs and when the bot DDs and cruisers show up, pop smoke and kill them first with gunfire and torps ONLY if they get too close. The friendly BBs can tank damage and so your spotting, just be careful using your torps so you don't hit them. Once the smaller bot ships are dealt with, use your engine boost and attack the BBs. Bots will chase and shoot at DDs above all other targets save something that is on really low health and since your stealth does you little good, it is best to play much more cautiously than you would fighting human players. 

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

1. Full speed ahead to cap

2. Stop just at cap boundary

3. Wait...

4. Smoke up when bot DD is spotted

5. Fire your peashooter/torps

6.???

7. Profit

• Funny 2

[KRON]
[KRON]
Members
95 posts
3,099 battles

Thanks folks. I am probably just not good at the DD. I sometimes die pretty quick in randos too. I probably look to cap too much or too quick.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles
1 hour ago, jayhawk226 said:

Okay I suck at DDs. I am either too aggressive or ...well I am not good. I am trying to learn to git gud.

What are some tips/tricks on playing DDs in Coop. Is it better to hang back a bit until the bot group is sighted? Smoke up?  Should I hold my torps until the are close? 

You know the drill I get spotted and boom 175 ships shoot me. (yes I know there aren't 175 ships, but bots cheat.)

Please help me, I am dying too fast and  while normally i would just go to another class, I need the IJN DDs for the Exeter mission.

In co op I always rush in until the cruisers are spotted, then I turn and shoot the DDs that pop up a couple times before I pop smoke. I hope some one spots the DDs or that I have hydro. Take out the DDs then concentrate on the cruisers (which seem to be the ships that actually get hit by torps). Then you run away a little bit and then dive in for the BBs and if they don't kill you, you torp them from a distance that they can't avoid your torps.

P.S. This does not work in Randoms.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
704 posts
28,302 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

In co op I always rush in until the cruisers are spotted, then I turn and shoot the DDs that pop up a couple times before I pop smoke. I hope some one spots the DDs or that I have hydro. Take out the DDs then concentrate on the cruisers (which seem to be the ships that actually get hit by torps). Then you run away a little bit and then dive in for the BBs and if they don't kill you, you torp them from a distance that they can't avoid your torps.

Exactly. My favorite is the Tashkent. I also run Radio Location on my DDs. I figure if the bots always know where you are you should know where they are. I rarely fire torps from more than 4k.

• Cool 1

[-OPS-]
[-OPS-]
Members
97 posts

Coop is destroyer heaven in the current game..no enemy CV to hunt you down...and very few bots use radar...

i find that DD’s with hydro are a LOT easier to use in coop.. I also try to have rpf, not as valuable as hydro...

i rush up to the closest edge of a cap..getting into the cap is not important.  Don’t shoot until you are smoked up...try to kill the dd that is rushing you with guns..when it gets within your shooting in smoke detection range..don’t shoot, torpedo one launcher only..

while smoke shooting get turned around so you can exit if things don’t go your way..

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,428 battles

When passing bot DDs vary your heading and maybe speed.  The bot DDs will send torps. If you shoot at the bot DDs they will chase you but if you dodge them and go around an island they might loose interest and go after a CL.  

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,502 posts

I can only assume the coop bots get to rate posts on the forum, due to the bad.png I got from someone something.

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
2 hours ago, jayhawk226 said:

The bots have 100% battlefield vision, and if you're the only dd, you're their primary target.

Push to a side cap, make sure you have cover and prepare to be chased, even if you've never been spotted.

Also, bots will keep their guns aimed at you even when not spotted if they are not engaged with another team mate, so as soon as you are spotted, you'll have incoming.

As long as you understand the bots cheat, you can use it against them.....

MEMY6tJ.jpg

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 2

[_EASY]
Members
277 posts
13,405 battles

1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

P.S. This does not work in Randoms.

^This is the same strategy I use.  Kill the DD, Kill the Cruiser by then your smoke has dispersed.  Charge the BB, it will probably be with 4k to 6k away close to 2k or 3k torpedoes away...

1326196201_WorldofWarships3_10_20191_48_00PM.thumb.png.ed7c19b1596d1f04320961662b975a7d.png

Works similarly well for the whole IJN dd line...

Edited by MWSVette1
  • Cool 2

[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

1. Full speed ahead to cap

2. Stop just at cap boundary

3. Wait...

4. Smoke up when bot DD is spotted

5. Fire your peashooter/torps

6.???

7. Profit

Yeah... that pretty much covers it, and it works quite well.

That's my MO when in a gun boat DD, when I'm playing a torp build (lack of guns) then I like to kite out of sight, and I hunt the fat slow BB's, and if they hunt me, all the better.

• Cool 1

[TX]
Members
1,101 posts
18,279 battles

Usually co-op is a battle of 3 ships. A DD a cruiser and a BB.

Go vs enemy, point an island for cover if something went wrong.

If friends follow you smoke when enemy DD start shoot to them

Shoot until is dead. Go on with cruiser.

If it die rush BB following and Torp them point blank.

Just place smoke so friends can spot for you.

If friends do not spot for you become a little harder. Better have DD with idro.

English ones are hard because you must wait last seconds to place smoke.

German are ok because have idro

USA are best if someone spot for you (same pan Asian)

Russian are good but beware of being see far away. Sail and shoot is not so easy because bot always hit you.

Japanese are super with torps, gun so so.( Even buffed)

Best one is loyang. Imho

• Cool 1

Members
1,935 posts
9,155 battles
On 3/10/2019 at 11:31 AM, b101uk said:

i.e. you get the grey torp lead indicator, put the green torp aim point over the grey lead indicator, then deselect the target so the grey lead indicator disappears (or goes to some other target), then fire your torps after a slight correction to account for the time to deselect the target, deselecting the target stops the AI from immediately reacting to you launching the torps

This trick isn't guaranteed to work, I had bots dodging my shots all weekend, but it does seem to help. 

Alternatively you can fire two spreads, one where the aim indicator tells you and the second one short, figuring the bot is either going to turn or slam on the brakes when he gets wind of the first spread. 

• Cool 1

[P2W]
Members
426 posts
12,191 battles

Another thing to keep in mind is that the bots change speed a lot more than most of the people I find in randoms. In particular, if the bot is stopped then you want to aim ahead of where the torp line says, since the bot is going to start up as soon as you launch the fish.

I find that the DD strategy that works for randoms (try to survive to the end and clean up on caps and straggler reds) is not successful in co-op. Instead you want to just rush in like a maternal fornicator and dump torps on the first thing you see. You should always be able to trade your life for that of the first bot DD you see, and if you're good/lucky you'll survive that encounter to take on the cruiser behind him. Repeat this early and often and you'll do fine.

• Cool 1

Members
740 posts
9,789 battles

I will usually run up to where I think the nearest BB will show up, if there are two even better.  I just assume that the enemy DD deployed opposite me will be coming right at me so when I figure it's getting close to spotting time I slow to half speed and turn.  As soon as he shoots I smoke up.  Usually he'll shoot and then be spotted by my team and I can shoot from smoke.  Get the DD first when possible but always pay attention to what the other bots are doing.  Sometimes the DD isn't the biggest threat.  Once the path is clear I hit speed boost and go straight for the Big Boys using any cover I can find to get in close and then torp like crazy.  I'd say I'm successful about 70% of the time only failing when I do something stupid and die or there is another player competing for the same kills.

As has been said earlier, this does not work in randoms.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,737 posts
4,630 battles

Remember that there is a personal devil just for you.  He looks just like you.  He is coming straight at you, and he wants to kill you.  He can be killed first, but he distracts from anything else you want to do, and will often delay you enough that his cruiser buddy can come up and finish the job.

Other than, "Get used to knife fighting", I have no advice.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this