You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NFO_1

Video Card Upgrade

114 comments in this topic

[O_S_D]
Members
1 post
11,156 battles

I'm currently running an AMD 6core FX 6120 on Windows 7 with 10 GB ram DDR 3. My Radeon HD-7450 graphics card with 16 GB DDR3 just crapped out. What would be the best replacement card for WOW play ?? Thanks

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles

I'm running an FX-6300 w/12Gb DDR3. My newish RX580 8Gb runs the game maxed at 81 FPS. (that may be limited by the game though, because it fluctuates quickly between 80-81)

My old GPU was a 2Gb HD7790, and it ran maxed WoWS at 55-65 FPS, with the occasional dip into the high 40s. (would also run Fallout 4 on low graphics, just as a reference)

You sure your 7450 had 16Gb? That doesn't sound right at all.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,914 posts
26,891 battles

What's your budget?

[RAN]
Members
59 posts
24,497 battles

Get a cheap 570 or 580 and be done for another 5 years, if WG titles are all you play.

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles
35 minutes ago, NFO_1 said:

I'm currently running an AMD 6core FX 6120 on Windows 7 with 10 GB ram DDR 3. My Radeon HD-7450 graphics card with 16 GB DDR3 just crapped out. What would be the best replacement card for WOW play ?? Thanks

17 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm running an FX-6300 w/12Gb DDR3. My newish RX580 8Gb runs the game maxed at 81 FPS. (that may be limited by the game though, because it fluctuates quickly between 80-81)

My old GPU was a 2Gb HD7790, and it ran maxed WoWS at 55-65 FPS, with the occasional dip into the high 40s. (would also run Fallout 4 on low graphics, just as a reference)

You sure your 7450 had 16Gb? That doesn't sound right at all.

Ummm16GB Radeon HD-7450???? That's is an older base/entry level type 1GB card (1024MB). Used by a lot of PC mfg's for pre built systems. Had one myself at one time.  You got some bad info there. 

Here are the minimum and recommended system requirements from WG to play the game...

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

Get a card that meets or exceeds their recommended spec's, and that is compatible with your system (make sure you MB will accept it, there is room in your case for it, it is compatible with your BIOS version, and that your Power Supply can handle the watts it needs) for optimal performance.

I am running an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB card (Nvidia) and it handles the game well. Mine is the single fan version of the card as I couldn't fit a dual fan card in the case. IF you can go with a dual fan card in whatever one you get.

What I use...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1050-TI-SC-Gaming-4GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/163586750116?epid=20003297363&hash=item261687b6a4%3Ag%3Ay~0AAOSwJjNcd7xt&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Dual fan version...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1050-TI-SSC-Gaming-2GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/283368933027?epid=12003296780&hash=item41fa1ac6a3%3Ag%3APOoAAOSwjXZcW4RJ&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles
6 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

1.6GB you mean, I think....

Just grab another crap card like a 1050ti.

That is not a crap card 

• Cool 4

[SVG]
Members
1,912 posts
7,748 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

That is not a crap card 

1050ti is an entry level gaming card designed as a temporary solution for those who are caught without one unexpectedly or those on an extreme budget.

It is crap.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 4

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles
Just now, GE_Capital said:

1050ti is an entry level gaming card designed as a temporary solution for those who are caught without one unexpectedly or those on an extreme budget.

It is crap.

Entry level does not = crap. It is a good card for people who don't want to spend a ton of money on a high end card if gaming isn't their life who still want decent performance. It is a good choice for the average person. It has good reviews as well. For what you pay you get a good performer.

It also has a low draw so replacing the power supply isn't needed for most as well which is a huge +. It has performed great for me and I run WOWS in the mid 70 fps range which is just fine for me.

Just because it isn't the latest and greatest, or cost a thousand dollars or more, doesn't make it crap.

• Cool 1

[RAN]
Members
59 posts
24,497 battles

Check if you have enough power supply capacity and pci power cables before buying. If you rely on slot power alone then go for a sub 75 watt card like most 1050s and 550s.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,940 posts
8,200 battles
11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It is a good card for people who don't want to spend a ton of money on a high end card if gaming isn't their life who still want decent performance. 

Depends what you want to play, too.

I purchased my RX580 because (at least as far as PC usage goes) gaming is my life, but I'm 4-5 years behind on games.

It's not a top-tier card, but it plays Skyrim, Fallout 4, Far Cry 4, and GTA:V maxed out flawlessly.

Plus, it'll play current VR titles reasonably well, so should serve when I get the rest of the hardware I need and start playing them at 4-5 years old.

[ARGSY]
6,914 posts
26,891 battles

1050 is crap, you get a much better card if you spend a few $$ more with the 1060. The difference is €80 here between a 1050 and a 1060 in a not OC variant.

As for the ATI vs. Nvidia: while I supported AMD for a long time, the nvidia cards are just more power efficient. So if the PSU isn't the best, don't try a ATI card. 

While the 1050 need a bit less then your 7450, the 1060 need at max performance 45 W more. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
3,068 posts
15,901 battles
1 hour ago, CylonRed said:

How big is your case?  Is this a PC you bought or built? 

How big is his wallet is a better question :Smile_trollface:

[APES]
Members
1,488 posts
8,344 battles

HD-7450 is 1GB not 16GB and it is low profile so I assume you need a low profile card (this will limit you drastically).  Most current video cards need power your computer likely does not have so keep that in mind. 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[ARGSY]
6,914 posts
26,891 battles
5 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

HD-7450 is 1GB not 16GB and it is low profile so I assume you need a low profile card.  Most current video cards need power your computer likely does not have so keep that in mind.

Besides... with a card that old, did the PC have a matching slot for a new card? 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,621 posts
18,506 battles

just for playing WOWS... I recommend

• 1050 GTX minimum or higher GPU
  • I7 or equivalent CPU
  • 8 GB of ram at least. 16GB if you plan long term, anything below that is a waste of money
  • 1TB HD
  • A good monitor with fast refresh rate.
  • 64bit OS

that is it.. That should cover you for at least 3 more years minimum playing WOWS

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[APES]
Members
1,488 posts
8,344 battles
8 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

1050 is crap, you get a much better card if you spend a few $$ more with the 1060. The difference is €80 here between a 1050 and a 1060 in a not OC variant.

As for the ATI vs. Nvidia: while I supported AMD for a long time, the nvidia cards are just more power efficient. So if the PSU isn't the best, don't try a ATI card. 

While the 1050 need a bit less then your 7450, the 1060 need at max performance 45 W more. 

Don't forget his card requires no plug to the power supply like a 1060 does.  Might be better off finding a used computer.

Members
3,068 posts
15,901 battles

I have a preference for Nvidia. ATI cards always gave me problems.

I have an i7 with 16G Ram and an old GTX 650 2G card and it works really well. I get 61 FPS at mostly High settings. I just ordered a 1050 TI because gaming is not a priority but I wanted an improvement. It is an excellent card for the money. I'm in the IT/Dev industry and it has a very good reputation for best bang for the buck. It cost me $199.00 CDN, around $155.00 USD. The GTX 1060 is better but it costs 50% more. I'm assuming that I'll be able to get 100 FPS with it at high settings. This is perfectly fine with me. It also supports dual monitors which I use.  

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles
26 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

No 1050 is not crap. God you guys are a laugh a minute. Being entry level or not the newest and greatest does not mean crap. It is a very good card for what it is and it is MORE than capable of WOWS. I paid under $100 for it new and didn't have to upgrade the power supply or anything. 

I never said it was the best. I said it is a good choice for this game and for me.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles
15 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have a preference for Nvidia. ATI cards always gave me problems.

I have an i7 with 16G Ram and an old GTX 650 2G card and it works really well. I get 61 FPS at mostly High settings. I just ordered a 1050 TI because gaming is not a priority but I wanted an improvement. It is an excellent card for the money. I'm in the IT/Dev industry and it has a very good reputation for best bang for the buck. It cost me $199.00 CDN, around $155.00 USD. The GTX 1060 is better but it costs 50% more. I'm assuming that I'll be able to get 100 FPS with it at high settings. This is perfectly fine with me. It also supports dual monitors which I use.  

Oh but it's crap. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg, you don't have to spend money to upgrade other stuff to use it, and it's not 100X's more than is need for this game so it has to be crap.:Smile_facepalm:

What you posted about the 1050 Ti is exactly why I got it plus the single fan version actually fit my case (a problem with dual fans) and I didn't have to mess with the power supply. Amazing how this crap card runs WOWS at 72-77fps for me and I have no problems with it at all. Man is it crap.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[ARGSY]
6,914 posts
26,891 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Oh but it's crap. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg, you don't have to spend money to upgrade other stuff to use it, and it's not 100X's more than is need for this game so it has to be crap.:Smile_facepalm:

What you posted about the 1050 Ti is exactly why I got it plus the single fan version actually fit my case (a problem with dual fans) and I didn't have to mess with the power supply. Amazing how this crap card runs WOWS at 72-77fps for me and I have no problems with it at all. Man is it crap.

I have BDO maxed on one screen and WoWs maxed on another. Don't try this with a 1050.

[APES]
Members
1,488 posts
8,344 battles

I do not understand people saying 1050 is good.  In a year 1050 may very well not even run this game and you are going to buy one new?  A 1050 will not play any of the other games I play.  I guess people only play this game and are happy playing on low settings? 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[PVE]
Members
11,805 posts
24,450 battles
2 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

I have BDO maxed on one screen and WoWs maxed on another. Don't try this with a 1050.

I wouldn't but that doesn't make 1050's "crap". Your needs are more than mine and I would wager the OP's as well. The 1050 is a good quality card for the average user. Not being super powerful and the best of the best doesn't make it crap. As I said, it actually has a very good reputation and gets good reviews. For what it is you get a lot of performance for your money.

If the OP needed some high powered top of the line card because he was some kind of super gamer he wouldn't be posting here about it and he wouldn't think his card had 16GB of ram on it.