You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Torp aiming

41 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
627 posts

I watched vid of notser and he seemed to have manual control of torp aiming reticle.

how is this done? or is it able to be done ?

bit tired of torps shooting to either side of target  and not being able to correct that.  Is there a work around.

Also was interested to learn from his vid how  you can direct the AA percentage fire from around the carrier with the "O" or tilde key.  This function hasnt even been mentioned before.

Moggy states from a noters video that, " You mentioned you can't change sector without turning your AA on - there is a check box in Settings > Controls - 'Enable AA & secondary guns if priority target set'. Deselect that and it solves this issue.  

So you can select AA targets

Ive also notice that on single torp drops the aiming is faulty and doesnt go where  you aim it to go

Edited by DevilD0g

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,570 posts

The aiming reticle follows the plane.  It doesn't direct the torp where to go, it shows you (the player) where the torp will go.  You move it by moving the plane, which in turn changes the path that the torpedo.

It's not a active control, it's a passive indication.

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles

The white cone is predicting where the ship will be, and where the torps will hit, if the ship stays on its current course.  The green cone is the actual path the torps take.  Good players don't sail in a straight line, so if you're good at predicting where a ship will maneuver, you shoot there rather than simply lining up the green and white cones. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,307 posts
25,245 battles

Not sure if AA can even be reinforced on carriers...

...apparently; according to WG; you should be too busy flying your planes to be worrying about such mundane details.

• Cool 1

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

I watched vid of notser and he seemed to have manual control of torp aiming reticle.

how is this done? or is it able to be done ?

bit tired of torps shooting to either side of target  and not being able to correct that.  Is there a work around.

Also was interested to learn from his vid how  you can direct the AA percentage fire from around the carrier with the "O" or tilde key.  This function hasnt even been mentioned before.

BVFz2DJ.gif

Spoiler

you have played HOW MANY BATTLES and are now asking this????
Really>??

you have a little more than just torp hit issues though... look into that first...

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
7,570 posts
46 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure if AA can even be reinforced on carriers...

...apparently; according to WG; you should be too busy flying your planes to be worrying about such mundane details.

It can, the same as all other ships that have AA armament.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
627 posts
3 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

BVFz2DJ.gif

i got the impression that you could now manually change the width of the cone, from wide to narrow.  I guess that is not the case, but would be a good feature to impliment to have better aiming of torps instead of them going wide of the target.

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It can, the same as all other ships that have AA armament.

1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

you answered your own question with the EXACT DEFAULT KEY (tide) to operate this function....

again... HOW long have you been playing???? and did NO RESEARCH on the game????

kvM7eKM.gif

• Boring 1
  • Meh 4

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
10 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

i got the impression that you could now manually change the width of the cone, from wide to narrow.  I guess that is not the case, but would be a good feature to impliment to have better aiming of torps instead of them going wide of the target.

Np00X5p.gif

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
7,570 posts
3 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

Oh that.  Press 3 again.

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Oh that.  Press 3 again.

I would have said that, but to someone with over 6 K battles you really have to ad a LOT of wth??? and sarcasm...

yHKbBAr.gif

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
7,570 posts
8 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

you answered your own question with the EXACT DEFAULT KEY (tide) to operate this function....

again... HOW long have you been playing???? and did NO RESEARCH on the game????

kvM7eKM.gif

To be fair, the game doesn't actually tell you this.  Most games do include a tutorial that explain all the controls. 

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

To be fair, the game doesn't actually tell you this.  Most games do include a tutorial that explain all the controls.

agreed, and I found out by READING up on it and watching a video.   but the other thing.,.... dude really  someone  needs to work on that learning the game mechanics thing....

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[A-D-F]
7,570 posts
5 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

agreed, and I found ot by READING up on it and watching a video.   but the other thing.,.... dude really  you need to work on that learning the game mechanics thing....

The new AA system just came out a bit ago and this was a pretty common question among players.  Not everyone spends a bunch of time watching videos on the latest patch.  Many just get off work and want to play their game for an hour or whatever.

He didn't know, he asked, now he knows.

Members
3,089 posts
564 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

The new AA system just came out a bit ago and this was a pretty common question among players.  Not everyone spends a bunch of time watching videos on the latest patch.  Many just get off work and want to play their game for an hour or whatever.

I, again, Agree.... I guess I was just a little dumbfounded by the other thing that went along with all this..

[GWG]
Members
6,962 posts
13,503 battles

Oh the tidbits of tribal knowledge flail about like a stranded octopus.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE MAP OUT WHAT EACH BUTTON DOES IN THIS GAME ???

Or maybe one could consult the in-game <esc> 'SETTINGS' : 'CONTROLS' :  then slide down the right side to see what the buttons do.

While you're there, disable the center mouse button 'Fire one gun, show the enemy where you are, then move your view across the map while your ship gets pummelled to death' by simply blanking that space out.  It's the button accidentally depressed when using the scroll wheel too aggressively.  It will save wear and tear as you won't be beating your keyboard while this malfunction is ruining your game.

Your Welcome.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,060 posts
8,322 battles
9 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

You just need to make longer runs, only use the mouse for corrections (don't make big corrections, only small ones) and drop close to the target.

Depending on which nation you're playing, you want to be leading the target before you start your run, and start flying straight and level about 4km out.

If you haul the planes around a turn, and you're too close, and launch as soon as you're able, you can miss a broadside BB fore and aft.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
20 posts
708 battles
9 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Np00X5p.gif

Neptunes Wrath. what is driving your need to shame and troll someone like this? i'm brand new to the game and come here to try and learn something new. sometimes with my own question, other times through others. 

seeing your attitude is a real turn off man. again, is it a small [edited] syndrome thing? it makes you feel bigger by belittling others? this is the most obvious imo. whatever it is maybe YOU should get THAT fixed before recommending solutions for others' issues. 

• Cool 7
  • Meh 1

Members
1,660 posts
11 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

They really should have announced this when they introduced the new AA mechanics and interfaces or put it in a tutorial video.  Oh, wait....  :Smile_facepalm:

With close to 7k battles you should know to check release/patch notes and perhaps watch a Wargaming tutorial/informational video from time to time.  They explain all sorts of things in the game.

11 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Ive also notice that on single torp drops the aiming is faulty and doesnt go where  you aim it to go

If you're speaking about RN torpedos, they've always been reliable for me when launched singly.    If you're speaking about Torpedo Bomber torpedoes, there is inherent instability in their accuracy due in a large part to the instability of the delivery platform.  Also, if your planes are being attacked by red fighters or particularly vicious/effective AA, it will cause your bombs/rockets/torpedos to spray like a blunderbuss.

21 minutes ago, UnturnedLeaf said:

Neptunes Wrath. what is driving your need to shame and troll someone like this? i'm brand new to the game and come here to try and learn something new. sometimes with my own question, other times through others.

Welcome to the game, I hope you enjoy yourself and have fun.  I would suggest that you make use of the tutorial videos, wiki, and control setting screens in the game to familiarize yourself with how things function.  There is an excellent series by Wargaming here:

that explains how things work in the game.  There is another section that details changes that are made to the game from time to time.

These are fundamental basics to the game and will help you play better and are usually better understood by someone with a year's worth of battles already completed.

Good luck, happy hunting, fair winds, and following seas Captain.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
  • Cool 1

Members
1,660 posts
10 hours ago, Burnsy said:

And Wargaming World of Warships is no exception.

With reference to the original poster's comment about the tilde key, I would point to the two minute mark in this Wargaming Tutorial "How It Works" video that was released when the reworked AA was implemented.

Perhaps if people actually watched Wargaming's videos instead of random gamer videos.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
  • Cool 1

Members
1,660 posts
10 hours ago, Burnsy said:

A very good point!

And yet the original post was based on something viewed in a video, just not a tutorial video.  The video he was watching appears to have even been about recent changes to the game, CVs and AA.  I would suggest his video viewing time might be better spent viewing Wargaming tutorials/videos.

• Cool 1

Members
5,263 posts
9,965 battles
12 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Use the Help in the game - F1 key like almost every other program that runs on Windows including all MS Programs, LOTS of info there.  Changing teh spread has been there since I started playing over 3.5 years ago.

[REVY]
Members
2,287 posts
12,277 battles
14 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

You just need to make longer runs, only use the mouse for corrections (don't make big corrections, only small ones) and drop close to the target.

Depending on which nation you're playing, you want to be leading the target before you start your run, and start flying straight and level about 4km out.

If you haul the planes around a turn, and you're too close, and launch as soon as you're able, you can miss a broadside BB fore and aft.

^ this

The longer you are in the torpedo run, the straighter your torps will run.

Anytime you shift plane course or turn, the wider the 'cone of chance' gets. The narrower the cone, the the tighter your drop will be.
As for actually hitting the ships, you need to judge how fast the ships are going and make a 'best guess'.

You should also drop the torps before the ships course takes it in the shaded area of the cone. That shaded area is the length of time needed for the torps to arm. It hit before they arm 'no joy'.