You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Major_HardTicket

811 xp!...Really?

26 comments in this topic

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
83 posts
4,905 battles

All day today (and most other days), no matter how well I do, we lose...and this is the average result of those losses, 52k damage and only 811 xp, even had a game today (T9) that approached 90k damage with 3 kills and only received  910 xp… and yet, we had a couple Mo's (both are well experienced players and active forum members) where I had 44 hits between them and 0 (zero...ZERO) damage, 1 was full broadside the whole time, couldn't even start  a single fire! and yes I'm using HE,  have enough experience with AP to know that I'll end up with mostly shatters, riccos and overpens, so don't bother !...the broadside Mo was straight line for about 45 seconds, and as soon as my torps hit the water, he turns, as usual (see this all the time with my torps),  I had my torps targeting him for approx. 20 seconds before I fired ...... I just don't get it...what am I missing?....And why these crazy freakish losing streaks, nobodies luck with RNGesus can be this bad!! …..Tin Foil whatever, there's something amiss here and it's getting really old...REAL FAST!

Monty 1.jpg

Monty 2.jpg

Monty 3.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 1

[SALTY]
Members
53 posts
15,699 battles

no radar or cv game, scores bottom 5 exp chart. you shouldn't play dd you're clearly not good at them. you're either too passive or too aggressive but clearly you aren't good at them

• Meh 2

Members
134 posts
1,016 battles
8 hours ago, Major_HardTicket said:

All day today (and most other days), no matter how well I do, we lose...and this is the average result of those losses, 52k damage and only 811 xp, even had a game today (T9) that approached 90k damage with 3 kills and only received  910 xp… and yet, we had a couple Mo's (both are well experienced players and active forum members) where I had 44 hits between them and 0 (zero...ZERO) damage, 1 was full broadside the whole time, couldn't even start  a single fire! and yes I'm using HE,  have enough experience with AP to know that I'll end up with mostly shatters, riccos and overpens, so don't bother

If you landed more than 44 hits on a Battleship and none of them hit the Superstructure, don't play destroyers in Randoms. Go practice in Co-op

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
83 posts
4,905 battles

lmbo...both very informative...thx for that!!!....NOT...(Most of those hits were SS)….now be like the birds and, well you know!!!!

• Meh 3

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
83 posts
4,905 battles

OK HERO....bye bye now...WTH is honest about your feedback?...actually, don't bother... same ol peanut gallery giving what they think is positive feedback by telling folks they are potatoes and stupid and wear tin foil hats....WHATEVER, clown!!!!

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
62 posts
9,100 battles

i would ask do you have IFHE commander skill. If you do not then that is why you did no damage. Your HE pen is 18mm without it and BB's have 19mm of armor at the weakest so without you cant pen them at all.

[FML]
Members
3,941 posts
15,503 battles
23 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

All day today (and most other days), no matter how well I do, we lose...and this is the average result of those losses, 52k damage and only 811 xp, even had a game today (T9) that approached 90k damage with 3 kills and only received  910 xp… and yet, we had a couple Mo's (both are well experienced players and active forum members) where I had 44 hits between them and 0 (zero...ZERO) damage, 1 was full broadside the whole time, couldn't even start  a single fire! and yes I'm using HE,  have enough experience with AP to know that I'll end up with mostly shatters, riccos and overpens, so don't bother !...the broadside Mo was straight line for about 45 seconds, and as soon as my torps hit the water, he turns, as usual (see this all the time with my torps),  I had my torps targeting him for approx. 20 seconds before I fired ...... I just don't get it...what am I missing?....And why these crazy freakish losing streaks, nobodies luck with RNGesus can be this bad!! …..Tin Foil whatever, there's something amiss here and it's getting really old...REAL FAST!

OK, some things to know about XP: 

• You get more from winning. 
  • You get XP from capping. 
  • You get more XP by doing X damage to ships with small health pools, like destroyers, than ships with large health pools like battleships. 
  • You get more XP for damaging higher tier ships than lower tier ships. 
  • You get XP from spotting for your teammates. 

As such, you need to do more of those things and less of the things you are doing, and your XP will go up. 

So, what in particular would you like to prioritise?

[OO7]
Members
544 posts
6,766 battles

Nothing wrong with shooting HE in jutland trying to start a fire.  I looked at your post battle stats, and you only landed 133 shells?  In a jutland with its rapid firing guns, you should be hitting ships 300+ shells per match.  You have amazing fire starting ability purely based on being able to spam a lot of shells. 

Next time, shoot more. If you couldnt open fire safely without taking a lot of damage in return, then your positioning needs to improve more.

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
83 posts
4,905 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

You are using HE in the Jutland. Try not doing that. Get better with the AP.

Thx, but as mentioned, I've used AP in DD's enough to know that for me, HE works better...I've had people say to use HE before too! LOL

• Meh 1

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,895 battles
1 hour ago, backpack said:

no radar or cv game, scores bottom 5 exp chart. you shouldn't play dd you're clearly not good at them. you're either too passive or too aggressive but clearly you aren't good at them

Was kind of going to say the same thing. I mean, I don't always score at the top of the team every single game, but I don't whine about losing a game if I didn't place in the top 3.

• Cool 1

Members
134 posts
1,016 battles
8 hours ago, Major_HardTicket said:

Thx, but as mentioned, I've used AP in DD's enough to know that for me, HE works better...I've had people say to use HE before too! LOL

If you want constructive feedback, here's a tip:

If you're going to spam HE in the Jutland, the IFHE captain skill is a must-have. If you don't have 4 skill points to spare, due to the caliber of Jutland's shells, AP is more effective than HE

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
3 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

lmbo...both very informative...thx for that!!!....NOT...(Most of those hits were SS)….now be like the birds and, well you know!!!!

You complain about " have enough experience with AP to know that I'll end up with mostly shatters, riccos and overpens, so don't bother". Meanwhile, you're doing worse with what I assume is IFHE HE than if you had just used AP and put IFHE towards something useful. (Please correct me if you don't have IFHE captain skill, in which case you should never be using HE.) Jutland has fantastic stealth. You should be able to put yourself in position to wreck face with the AP and torpedoes.

Fire damage is almost worthless at T9 and 10 unless you can REALLY focus an enemy. It's 100% repairable, most ships have heals at that Tier, and the fire chance debuff of T9 and 10 ships is HUGE. Fire should be bonus damage.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
8 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

we had a couple Mo's (both are well experienced players and active forum members) where I had 44 hits between them and 0 (zero...ZERO) damage

Are you using IFHE on your Jutland?  Without it your HE will not penetrate the Montana's armor, period.  As far as the fires go, there are obviously modifiers in play (module upgrades, captain skills, signals), but that's still unlucky.

15 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

I'm using HE,  have enough experience with AP to know that I'll end up with mostly shatters, riccos and overpens, so don't bother

With your improved (British) pen angles on the AP, you can actually do a significant amount of damage by peppering a broadside battleship's superstructure.  Even if "just" overpens, at 6 shells every 3.5 seconds (or less), that adds up quickly.

20 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

the broadside Mo was straight line for about 45 seconds, and as soon as my torps hit the water, he turns, as usual (see this all the time with my torps),  I had my torps targeting him for approx. 20 seconds before I fired

Most likely he's using his Priority Target skill to tell him when somebody launches torpedoes at him.  The PT skill only shows ships which are targeting you with their guns, and not with torpedoes...when you know there's a torpedo-carrying ship within range and then see your PT count dip by one, then go back up a short while later, there's a pretty high likelihood that torpedoes were just launched at you.  In an extreme case, he might simply have been keeping a count on when your torpedoes would be reloaded (reload times are available all over the place & can be memorized or printed out).

23 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

had a game today (T9) that approached 90k damage with 3 kills and only received  910 xp

There are a multitude of reasons why you didn't gain very much base XP from this battle.  You had zero capture points and zero defense points; caps do count when it comes to XP earnings (and when it comes to winning).  Of the damage you did, only the 32k against the Saint-Louis represented a significant percentage of the ship's overall health pool; XP for damage is calculated by the percentage of damage you did a ship, not the raw amount.  It's also then modified by whether the ship you damaged is a higher tier than yours (the Saint-Louis is not).  Put another way, the 6k damage that you did against the enemy Grozovoi earned you more experience than the 13k you did to the Conqueror.

If you want to maximize your XP earnings in a destroyer, you can:

• Focus your attention on doing damage against enemy destroyers (smaller health pool = more XP per thousand damage done).  Particularly when in a gunboat like the Jutland.
  • Focus on cap control, both capturing points and denying their capture to the enemy.  Those defense and capture ribbons (even the assisted capture ribbons) earn you a heap of XP compared to just farming battleships.
  • Focus on doing whatever is necessary to win the battle.  Everyone on your team automatically gets a bonus to their base XP for the win, including you.  As a result, you are generally going to earn more XP from a 45k win, maybe with a cap or two, than you would from a 100k loss.

Further details on how experience is earned can be found here.

• Cool 2

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
83 posts
4,905 battles

Thx all, most anyway, for the positive feedback!...um isn't the purpose of HE supposed to be for starting fires, not penetrating armor like AP? ...I know there'll be some pen with HE but I thought they make contact, exploded , and started fires in an RNG fashion on the decks/superstructures? That's what happens to me when I get spammed with HE, all the time, always on fire LOL!

[OO7]
Members
544 posts
6,766 battles

Again you only landed 133 shell hits.  When I play long range cruisers like zao with 10 sec reload I land about the same number of shells per match.  If you want to start fires you need to be shooting much more, or all the time, to take advantage of the quick reload.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
582 posts
17,550 battles

Jutland's main guns have 113/6 = 18.8mm pen, rounded down to 18mm, meaning your shells will fail to pen the 19mm superstructure on the Montana. If he was broadside to you, fire AP at the superstructure instead.

Most good BB players will make a turn once every 30-40s to throw off torpedoes aimed at them. What the Montana did was normal.

Most of your damage was on battleships. Exp is rewarded based on % health damage, meaning 10k damage to a DD rewards way more exp than 10k damage to a BB. As a Jutland with fast guns, hydro, and heal party, try to pick fights with other DDs.

You had 0 capture points and 0 capture denies. DDs should be aggressively capping the objectives, not pretending to be U-boats hunting BBs. Each capture ribbon gives an insane amount of exp and ultimately helps your team win. Even if you can't cap, just sitting on a cap and denying the enemy points is a good way to gain exp and help your team win.

Watch some King of the Sea matches and see what top clans do with their DDs. Get a good idea on where you should be on the map and when to pick fights.

• Cool 1

[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,222 battles
11 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

Thx all, most anyway, for the positive feedback!...um isn't the purpose of HE supposed to be for starting fires, not penetrating armor like AP? ...I know there'll be some pen with HE but I thought they make contact, exploded , and started fires in an RNG fashion on the decks/superstructures? That's what happens to me when I get spammed with HE, all the time, always on fire LOL!

I could be wrong, if I am someone will be along in about 3 seconds to exclaim, LOUDLY, that I am wrong...lol.

HE is for those times that AP won't penetrate, or will overpenetrate, or is less than ideal....fires are a side effect of HE for  some folks.

In other words, if AP works, use it, if it doesn't use HE.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
2 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Watch some King of the Sea matches and see what top clans do with their DDs. Get a good idea on where you should be on the map and when to pick fights.

I get what you're saying here, but good destroyer play in team-based competitive modes is much different than in random battles.  In a clan battles or King of the Sea scenario, destroyers are going to be used almost exclusively for smoking friendlies, lobbing long-range torpedo salvos at mostly stationary opponents, occasionally capping when circumstances allow for it, and for spotting (less so when carriers are involved).  Personal damage is largely going to be negligible for a competitive destroyer player.

In randoms, though, you need to be much more aggressive, take more risks, and usually deal a significant amount of damage in order to win.  You can't count on your teammates to shoot at targets you spot, let alone shoot at them effectively, nor to hold down points which you captured or pop their radar when needed or not just drive straight into an 8-ship crossfire...it's an entirely different beast.  KotS is definitely entertaining to watch, and you can get an excellent idea of where the most important spots are on the relevant maps, but take any actual tactics you see with a huge grain of salt.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
26 minutes ago, Major_HardTicket said:

Depends on the fire chance of the ship's guns that you're using, and specifically what you're shooting at.  Some ships are better at starting fires than others, and some ships you're firing at may have equipped measures that reduce fire chance.  You just have to pay attention to what is, or isn't happening, and adapt your tactics to suit the situation.

Also, as others have already pointed out, when playing destroyers, firing AP at close range to broadside battleship superstructures is far more effective than using HE.  Don't worry about starting fires.

You have a lot to learn about how and when to use HE and AP.  Instead of shrugging it off claiming you know better, take the sound advice that's been offered to you in this thread.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,156 posts
24,101 battles

Eh, Let's look at a game I had with a Kitakaze earlier

Spoiler

shot-19_03.09_20_06.45-0685.thumb.jpg.2cbc0fc5e5d3e182ed3a862d30d3ece2.jpg

shot-19_03.09_19_57.14-0083.thumb.jpg.06a028391c23ff59ee14c98903623d5e.jpg

shot-19_03.09_20_26.41-0690.thumb.jpg.5ed670cf0ff8fef4bdddd0d369b8b803.jpg

1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

OK, some things to know about XP: 

• You get more from winning. 
  • You get XP from capping. 
  • You get more XP by doing X damage to ships with small health pools, like destroyers, than ships with large health pools like battleships. 
  • You get more XP for damaging higher tier ships than lower tier ships. 
  • You get XP from spotting for your teammates. 

As such, you need to do more of those things and less of the things you are doing, and your XP will go up. 

So, what in particular would you like to prioritise?

So if you win, you get typically 50% more of your base XP. Lose you only get half of your vase XP.

Get more XP if you solo cap. less of you do it with others, but it gets capped a lot quicker.

You also get XP if you reset a a cap in progress

You get XP if you spot first.

Getting a frag gets you XP. XP from damage is determined as a percentage of total pool. Which is why it's always a good idea to prioritize dd's. Smaller HP pool.  Damaging/killing a higher tier ship gives you more XP than an equal/lower tier one

I'd like to see a replay video, but it looked like you spend the majority of the game torp spamming. You only fired 1/5th the shells I'd fired in a similar game. You didn't get a cap. Did you try for one during the game?

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Beta Testers
718 posts
1 hour ago, Major_HardTicket said:

For ships with smaller guns, they use HE because the AP CANNOT penetrate parts of the armor on the larger ships, including the SS. That is why IFHE is important on DD's as well as some cruisers (The Gneisenau and G. Kurfurst also benefit on their secondaries)