You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Red_Butcher

how is le terrible?

31 comments in this topic

[-BUI-]
Members
2,034 posts
5,697 battles

If you really enjoy being the first ship to die in every single battle, give it a shot.

• Cool 2

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles

I get the French touch is the reload booster, but I'd rather have Aigle's standard reload speed than a moment to shoot faster for 10 seconds on a destroyer. Also if it's not going to have smoke, I feel it should have a heal. 

• Cool 4

[KWF]
Members
4,388 posts
6,405 battles
3 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

I get the French touch is the reload booster, but I'd rather have Aigle's standard reload speed than a moment to shoot faster for 10 seconds on a destroyer. Also if it's not going to have smoke, I feel it should have a heal. 

I would consider buying her if that were the case. In the meantime, there's a "buffed" test version running around that has improved AP velocity :crab:.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF3]
Members
27,112 posts
23,873 battles

IMO a very mediocre Premium DD, and that's being generous.  It needs a tweak or two to be good.

+ Flatter trajectory shells

+ Better concealment

+ Smoke

+ Repair Party

One or two of those she'd be good to go but right now, she's pretty bad.  Consider that this is an expensive Tier VIII Premium, it's not good value for the money.

What are some better buys in the Premium Shop for the $43 that Le Terrible goes for?  Lots actually.

120 days of Premium time for $10 less

Prinz Eugen

Atago

Cossack

Asashio

Kidd

Lo Yang for $37

And if you're willing to go into the $50 price range, there's a whole slew of great Tier VIII Premium BBs.

And that's just the Tier VIII Premiums.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[--K--]
Members
5,369 posts
17,381 battles

The LeTerrible is in the top 4 Worsts Destroyers in game and 10 Meh Premiums in WoWs. 

Edited by RedSeaBear

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,748 battles

It has been a mixed bag for me.  She needs more protection around the engine compartment, if not every shot, every other shot will knock out the engine, so Last Stand is and absolute must on her.  A small buff to the gun reload would help too.  The torps can be made to work, but you can't be firing guns to try and make use of them.  Her speed lets you out run all torp drops from CVs.  Lastly I think it should be given a repair party.  Because of her speed, I think Smoke would not be good for the bote.  She would run out it a lot, before coming to stop laying it.

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles

comically I'm 80% with 15 games in it...

Its fun.... racing at 53knts.... it really is a ship designed to go well wide and flank and occupy your enemy.. but it sucks. I wouldn't pay 100 doubloons for it. I had a game where there was a tester, already testing nerfs to it. For whatever this costs, there are better options in game vs. this ship.

Members
339 posts
5,488 battles

No AA in a CV meta

Not stealthy

Not a particularly good gunboat in a MM spread with DPM monsters.

No sustain because the devs never gave it the heal it so obviously needs to be slightly competitive. Kiev has better guns and a heal, wonder why?

Edited by harikari25

Members
1,660 posts

I <3 le terrible.

It takes a very different playstyle that is pretty much unique to that ship.  Nothing else is quite like it.  The torps hit hard and the guns will melt DDs and CLs.  Then there is the speed.  Take the acceleration boost mod and you can spend half the battle scooting around at about 55 knots.

Le Terrible can be Le Insane.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

A destroyer with no smoke or repair?  And has comparatively poor guns for its tier spread?  And has poor stealth?

It's not Russian DD, so devs made it a dog.

Kiev, Tashkent, heck even the Minsk and Gnevny are much better, and you don't have to buy those.

EDIT:  NVM.  Ok, so some who have actually played her are praising her a lot.  I don't have one, so honestly I didn't know what I was talking about.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
1,658 posts
6,794 battles

It's misunderstood.  It's not an easy ship to play, there is no doubt about that.  It cannot be played like a traditional DD.  If you're grabbing caps and gunfighting stuff, you're going to have a tough time.  It doesn't have the traditional DD safety nets of smoke and concealment.  It is however an effective opportunist.  See something alone?  Go kill it?  Too far away?  Go catch it.  Carrier's got your team pinned?  Run around the entire map and go sink it.  Because you can.

If you try to use it like a DD, you'll die.  It's a ridiculously fast assassin.  Get in, murder a ship, get out.

[RKLES]
Members
808 posts

I like playing it, 88 matches 60% win rate.  Find a spot on the map where you are needed and you can make yourself useful. Torps hit hard and reload fast.

It plays like a Russian DD with better torps and worse guns.

I agree it could use a little love from WG.

Members
117 posts
44 battles

I like her in concept, but she's a tricky ship to play. I play her as a kind of an opportunistic hunter. You have two assets: speed and burst damage (with both guns and torps). So you use your speed to look for targets you're confident you can kill. In these cases you play super aggressive. Other times you play very cautious and avoid doing bad trades.

But CV rework kinda leave her in a weird spot. See, the exact same thing the Le Terrible kinda does OK -- use speed to hunt targets of opportunity --the plane does even better. Also CV's kind of specifically counter the Terrible. With no smoke and nonexistent AA, the threat of aerial attack restricts that freedom to roam you thrive on.

Again, kind of unique and occasionally fun, but hard to recommend. Caveat emptor, big time. 

Still very fun in coop.

Here's a video of my division mate doing a Kraken in a Terrible. Kind of illustrates the game play you could do at least before the CV rework.

Spoiler

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

Overpowered in the right hands. Like Kiev but better in almost every way, except if you don't make good use of your consumables you'll do poorly as there is no smoke screen safety belt to save you from bad situations. Those situations are always ones that you put yourself in though since you have the speed and concealment to do whatever you want on the battlefield. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,862 posts
12,803 battles

I thought it was amazingly good.

• No AA, No problem, because you are incredibly hard to bomb with your speed
  • Concealment that doesn't matter, because you have insane top speed to run down other DDs
  • HP is pretty good, because it's hard to hit
  • You don't need smoke when you can literally just run away from everything else
  • Shell ballistics aren't a problem at all

It kind of reminds me of Atlanta. It's super specialized at what it does and you will only suffer in it if you don't know how to play the ship.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles

best played if you forget your a DD and think of yourself as a very light cruiser and be a ambush predator while doing that.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,083 posts
11 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

best played if you forget your a DD and think of yourself as a very light cruiser and be a ambush predator while doing that.

:Smile_great:Aot description:Smile_medal: