You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Why cant we have a special event (NIGHT BATTLES)?

18 comments in this topic

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles

IJN during WW2 fought alot of surface actions at night. Battle of Iron Bottom Sound is a very good example. I would love to see a special night battle mode which would make the map completely dark, where you only see ships through search lights or firing. I think it would be pretty cool. What ya think?

• Cool 3

[WOSV]
Members
595 posts
3,883 battles

I think it would be very cool. Maybe even as an environmental variable, like the cyclones and snowstorms. It would be interesting to see how they would work. Maybe even add Star Shells as an actual ammunition or consumable.

[-KAK-]
Members
585 posts
10,921 battles

They did this with one of the operations - Operation Cherry Blossom. It was OK. Personally, I was a bit disappointed - It wasn't as good as I had hoped. 

I'm not really in favor of putting it (Or a better version) into randoms though. I'm not a huge fan of the new mobile storm system as it is - I just want to play the game, not have to squint to see where the enemies are.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,818 posts
25,888 battles
1 hour ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

They did this with one of the operations - Operation Cherry Blossom. It was OK. Personally, I was a bit disappointed - It wasn't as good as I had hoped. 

I'm not really in favor of putting it (Or a better version) into randoms though. I'm not a huge fan of the new mobile storm system as it is - I just want to play the game, not have to squint to see where the enemies are.

I thought that Cherry Blossom was really good.  Could have been better but really good.

Personally, I'm not a fan of people who want everything to always be perfect and the same all the time.  For crying out loud, this is WoWS.  This game doesn't have the advantage of WoT where terrain can be so incredibly different. WoWS is always the same in this respect.  The "playing surface" of battles is always exactly the same, the "flat as a pancake" ocean surface.  Weather conditions and time of day play an important part in creating variety of playing conditions.

And if you have to squint to see, get better glasses (or contacts).  I don't need to squint and my glasses are just fine.

• Meh 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,030 posts
11,611 battles

Problem is there are 2 camps when it comes to "night battles".

There's the "Sim Camp" that want full out night battles - flares and star shells needed or even search lights, can't see jack, radar ships have a distinct advantage, etc. This was effectively demo'd in "Operation Cherry Blossom" I think is the operation. Suffice to say, very few fans, though those that like the concept are dedicated.

You then have those of us who would like "night battles" - but are more than fine with it effectively being a pallet swap from blue skies to dark blue/black. Aesthetically, a night battle, maybe a slight reduction in visual spotting range (maybe if it's 25 km normal make it 15) but nothing crazy - minimal impact on gameplay if any. I'm personally fine with this cause honestly I would like a battle where it's easier to see all the tracers flying. 

6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

And if you have to squint to see, get better glasses (or contacts).  I don't need to squint and my glasses are just fine.

May be a minority but it's not a glasses issue for all of us. Much as I'm pro night battles of some sort odds are every ship running a darker camo is gonna be a :etc_swear: for me to to try and shoot at just like in many cases now certain camo's, or even lack of, blend with the water/sky/land and I can't differentiate them unless there's a colour that sticks out because I can't differentiate certain intermediate colours from one another. Getting rid of the "fog" with mods helped a little, but some of the camo's like IJN's alternate blue still have issues with especially at range vs the ocean. Why I like events that encourage the use of the dazzle/bright camo's cause I can actually see what I'm shooting at and not just part of it.

[KNCOL]
Members
787 posts
1,749 battles

NIGHT BATTLES!!!!!........yes i would like this

[SALVO]
Members
24,818 posts
25,888 battles
5 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Problem is there are 2 camps when it comes to "night battles".

There's the "Sim Camp" that want full out night battles - flares and star shells needed or even search lights, can't see jack, radar ships have a distinct advantage, etc. This was effectively demo'd in "Operation Cherry Blossom" I think is the operation. Suffice to say, very few fans, though those that like the concept are dedicated.

You then have those of us who would like "night battles" - but are more than fine with it effectively being a pallet swap from blue skies to dark blue/black. Aesthetically, a night battle, maybe a slight reduction in visual spotting range (maybe if it's 25 km normal make it 15) but nothing crazy - minimal impact on gameplay if any. I'm personally fine with this cause honestly I would like a battle where it's easier to see all the tracers flying. 

May be a minority but it's not a glasses issue for all of us. Much as I'm pro night battles of some sort odds are every ship running a darker camo is gonna be a :etc_swear: for me to to try and shoot at just like in many cases now certain camo's, or even lack of, blend with the water/sky/land and I can't differentiate them unless there's a colour that sticks out because I can't differentiate certain intermediate colours from one another. Getting rid of the "fog" with mods helped a little, but some of the camo's like IJN's alternate blue still have issues with especially at range vs the ocean. Why I like events that encourage the use of the dazzle/bright camo's cause I can actually see what I'm shooting at and not just part of it.

Ghost, heaven forbid!  Ships with dark camo blending into a dark background the way those camos were intended to do!  OMG, the horror of it all!  I actually LOVE it being that way!  I also think that fog should be a part of the game and that mods that remove that fog should be 100% illegal!  

I loved it back when cyclones were first released and there was a thick fog as part of the effect.  And I loved how ships with darker, grayer camos blended into the fog, while ships with gaudy, brightly colored camos stood out like a light house!  I absolutely LOVED IT, because it was so realistic!!!  Ships SHOULDN'T be easy to see in the dark or in a fog.  And bright camos SHOULD make your ship easier to see while darker, grayer camos SHOULD blend easily into a dark foggy sky!!!  It's absolutely outstanding that it should be like that.  Otherwise, what's the point of even bothering with weather and fog and so on in the first place?  It's those things that make the game enjoyable, not crappy, gaudy clown camos that just scream HERE I AM!!!  SHOOT ME!!!

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,030 posts
11,611 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Ghost, heaven forbid!  Ships with dark camo blending into a dark background the way those camos were intended to do!  OMG, the horror of it all!  I actually LOVE it being that way!  I also think that fog should be a part of the game and that mods that remove that fog should be 100% illegal!  

I loved it back when cyclones were first released and there was a thick fog as part of the effect.  And I loved how ships with darker, grayer camos blended into the fog, while ships with gaudy, brightly colored camos stood out like a light house!  I absolutely LOVED IT, because it was so realistic!!!  Ships SHOULDN'T be easy to see in the dark or in a fog.  And bright camos SHOULD make your ship easier to see while darker, grayer camos SHOULD blend easily into a dark foggy sky!!!  It's absolutely outstanding that it should be like that.  Otherwise, what's the point of even bothering with weather and fog and so on in the first place?  It's those things that make the game enjoyable, not crappy, gaudy clown camos that just scream HERE I AM!!!  SHOOT ME!!!

Understand that I don't actually disagree Crucis in that yes, a camo should be more like a camo when it's not the zany dazzle camo's and all. I liked the weather effects, I like the idea of night battles despite the additional issues I would have etc. In most cases I would agree about the fog mods even except for the fact that in my case it's an additional handicap similar to lacking a colour blind mode for colour blind players.

Which was my actual point - you came at it as a matter of needing glasses, and as I said for some of us it's not glasses. Lets say there are only 10 shades of blue in game, and most people can tell say 9 and 10 apart - I can only see 9 or 10, I see no difference. The fog blurs any small lines that may be able to tell "okay that's the ship". I actually need someone with me when shopping for blue or black because I can't tell some of the darker shades of blue from black that are obvious to others. Same with other colours that can blend like shades of orange and red, greens and blues, etc. The human eye can normally see 7 million colours - I may only be able to see lets say 5 million. Much as my vision is still 20/10 I might not be able to tell you the right colour of an object. 

They wanna make mods that remove fog illegal - then they can go ahead and take it out of their modpack (I only use the ones WG's thing has what few I do, and most just alter colours like shells so I can see them), night battles - all for it because I wanna see the tracers I can barely see if at all in day battles, old storm effects go on bring them back too along with old sinking effects, I miss ships breaking more often on the surface, they want to add stealthier camo's than some of what we got - again, go for it. I played the game from alpha testing to last year 100% mod free and did well enough considering half the time I couldn't see what I was shooting at and had to aim for any little light parts I could or guess based on their guns. If I have to play with an additional handicap because my eyes don't work right when it comes to colour - so be it. But just because you don't need to squint despite glasses doesn't mean that anyone that has to needs them or needs new ones cause it be totally unrelated to vision clarity like that.

[SALVO]
Members
24,818 posts
25,888 battles

A couple of points that while related are quite different.

First the more "on point" point. Not to sound too harsh, but no game can accommodate every possible little difference in peoples' vision.  And about the simplest way that I could imagine for dealing with this would be to outline enemy ships in the same way that WG does in WoT.  But honestly, that takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.  I loved how in the early days of cyclones how it was very difficult to pick out a ship against the fog when it was right on the edge of detection range, unless it was some ship with bright gaudy camo.  Also, DDs were harder to see than larger ships, simply because they were small.  I absolutely loved it.  While my glasses corrected vision is just fine, it would be so hard to see that enemy ship with its grayish dark camo through the fog, and even harder to properly aim at it.  To me, that was incredibly frustrating and twice as fun.   And if WG decided to put outlines around ships that were technically spotted, it would completely remove all the fun that came from this.  So, yes, a person with your visual difficulties might be able to see it.  But I'd personally think that it destroys the entire point of having fog and camo and everything.

Now for the second, somewhat off topic point.  Camouflage.  I think that I've written about this once before, 2-3 months back.  But I'd love to see them change camouflage.  Not so much the paint jobs themselves and not the economic bonuses, but the in-battle bonuses.  I'd like to see them get away from having a single -3%/-4% generic bonus to both concealment and dispersion, and start having camouflages that have different weightings for concealment bonuses OR dispersion bonuses.  Certain camos might be strong for concealment while others might be strong for dispersion.  I could see some ships, like DDs, preferring "strong concealment" camos, while larger ships, like BBs, might prefer "strong dispersion" camos. I think that this kind of variety would make camouflages more interesting for the game.

Anyways, just a thought.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

Just make the sky black and turn on cyclone mode full time.

[SALVO]
Members
24,818 posts
25,888 battles
24 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Just make the sky black and turn on cyclone mode full time.

Honestly, that'd be better than what passed for night mode in Cherry Blossom.  And it's pretty much what I described as a quick and dirty night mode when I suggested it months ago.

As I recall, I think that WG said that adding star shells and search lights wouldn't really be possible within the engine.  And while they did sort of add star shells into Cherry Blossom, they were only added as part of the operation's overall AI, not something that players could use.  

Anyways, I think that a quick and dirty night mode could work out just fine.  I will say though that another similar way they could do it would be to have it be a clear sky, full moon night mode, where the coding of cyclone mode was used, but where the detection range was higher, say maybe 12 or so kilometers?  Heck, it'd be fun from my perspective to have both options.  

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Then this means people will be demanding more radar. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
15 hours ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, that'd be better than what passed for night mode in Cherry Blossom.  And it's pretty much what I described as a quick and dirty night mode when I suggested it months ago.

As I recall, I think that WG said that adding star shells and search lights wouldn't really be possible within the engine.  And while they did sort of add star shells into Cherry Blossom, they were only added as part of the operation's overall AI, not something that players could use.  

Anyways, I think that a quick and dirty night mode could work out just fine.  I will say though that another similar way they could do it would be to have it be a clear sky, full moon night mode, where the coding of cyclone mode was used, but where the detection range was higher, say maybe 12 or so kilometers?  Heck, it'd be fun from my perspective to have both options.  

The easiest way to add "star shells" is to turn /off/ cyclone mode for a 5KM radius around the target you have selected when you pop DFAA.  Once DFAA drops, your star shells have hit the water, and are no longer illuminating a target.

[SALVO]
Members
24,818 posts
25,888 battles
6 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

The easiest way to add "star shells" is to turn /off/ cyclone mode for a 5KM radius around the target you have selected when you pop DFAA.  Once DFAA drops, your star shells have hit the water, and are no longer illuminating a target.

crzyhawk, the problem for me is that "just turning off cyclone mode in the star shell's radius" is boring.  How does one aim a star shell?  Is it a consumable?  Is it a shell you have to load and aim at a given spot?  Also, and very important, star shells need to be graphically immersive.  The worst thing about (regular) cyclones right now is that they lost their original graphical component.  They're now boring as hell because they're only a statistical effect with no immersive graphical effect.  I don't want to see another "statistical only" effect added to the game.  Without the immersive graphical effects, the game becomes  rather boring.

There's also the question of how many of these star shells can the game engine handle at any given time.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,921 battles

Yes please.

Maybe when the wg change the engine for the same of wot 2.0...

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

crzyhawk, the problem for me is that "just turning off cyclone mode in the star shell's radius" is boring.  How does one aim a star shell?  Is it a consumable?  Is it a shell you have to load and aim at a given spot?  Also, and very important, star shells need to be graphically immersive.  The worst thing about (regular) cyclones right now is that they lost their original graphical component.  They're now boring as hell because they're only a statistical effect with no immersive graphical effect.  I don't want to see another "statistical only" effect added to the game.  Without the immersive graphical effects, the game becomes  rather boring.

There's also the question of how many of these star shells can the game engine handle at any given time.

That's why I said just use DFAA.  I'm trying to make this simple for them to code.  Seriously, this could be low effort for them to give us /something/.