You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
alexf24

Does PT 0.8.2 even work?

20 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,935 battles

I take part in every PT for years.

Downloaded 0.8.2 and I get to Port. I only have T8 and all of them without a captain. The only available mode to choose from I get is Coop..

There are no captains in Reserve so I cannot even assign a captain.

What's up with this? Am I missing something?

I do not understand, and not even like, the new port interface.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

There are other threads on this but it is a new format and IMO, the worst  have seen it.

You have to play games to unlock things like captains etc, so at first you wonder what is going on. I played about 5 games and at no time did I get any idea whether I was actually earning rewards for my main account.

I just won't bother anymore because it was so 'uninformative'. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,935 battles

What? That makes no sense.

And how can I play (even in coop) if I have no captains on any of the ships I checked?

This is ridiculous. Is not even April 1st and they are playing a joke?

I am done with PT then. Won't get me testing. Their loss. I just wasted almost two hours to download and try to understand what this was about. I even re-read the PT announcement, twice and am no closer to understanding this. Well done WG.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,312 posts
25,245 battles

You play without a captain.

Play Erie or whatever, kill bots, unlock a ship, things start appearing.

Apparently this is WG’s attempt at training format and slowly easing new players into the game.

Can’t say I disagree otherwise. Confusing and dull as hell needing to ‘unlock’ things long taken for granted.

Could it have hurt to have a splash page on port login explaining what was going on?

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,935 battles

Training mode?

I come in to test new maps, new ships, new modes, new features.

Incomprehensible, obtuse, no-instruction interface? I wont waste my time.

Well done WG. You are losing me some more with every patch. Not happy.

• Funny 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,999 battles

Yeah.  It's so much better to publicly stamp your feet while shouting, crying, making empty threats and making yourself look like an *** than taking the trouble to actually read something.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-082/#port-screen-changes

• Meh 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,389 posts
9,813 battles

It works just fine.

The revamped new-player introduction is under test. As in Public Test.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,170 posts
11,397 battles
31 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Yeah.  It's so much better to publicly stamp your feet while shouting, crying, making empty threats and making yourself look like an *** than taking the trouble to actually read something.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-082/#port-screen-changes

I see nothing that talks about this “training mode” under that link, unless you’re referring some screenshot that’s in Russian?

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,999 battles
20 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I see nothing that talks about this “training mode” under that link, unless you’re referring some screenshot that’s in Russian?

Improved Port UI and Service Record

The Port will see significant changes in displaying the current event, Premium Shop, Armory, combat missions, and other banners on the left side of the screen.

8369659a-400b-11e9-a648-d89d6715223c_1200x.jpg

Progress will also be displayed in this menu for players who haven't reached Level 15 in their Service Record. The Service Record section of the profile has been updated, and now tracking progress and rewards will be more convenient for players. As the distinctive insignia modification settings have been moved from the Service Record section to the upper-left part of the Port, the server information and online player counter have been transferred to the main menu, which can be opened with the ESC key.

8369362e-400b-11e9-87fb-d89d6715223c_1200x.jpg

You will be granted Level 2 in your Service Record when you first log in to the Public Test account, but progress will be much faster than on the live server.

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts

Yet another 'communication failure' from WG.

They didn't bother putting in the release notes that your PT account essentially is reset to Rank 0, thus allowing them to test the new Rank progression stuff.

EXTREMELY confusing since you start with T8 tech tree ships - something no Rank 0 account would have. 

Edited by capncrunch21

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
55 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

It works just fine.

The revamped new-player introduction is under test. As in Public Test.

People seem to forget that while most of the time the PT is a playground it is in reality a test server.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,935 battles
On 3/9/2019 at 12:35 PM, JCC45 said:

Indeed. That page I read twice. It clearly says there will be T8 testing for beginners with no Captains. It is there in back and white, in bold letters. Or is it in red over black.. or...

Never mind, it is not there. It does not say so.

If I have to write the thing, or even copy edit, I would clearly and unambiguously say you are helping to test training for entry-level players, with no captains whatsoever until you play x games in coop - or whatever it is supposed to be.

As-is, it is clear as mud.

Edited by alexf24

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,999 battles
4 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

Yet another 'communication failure' from WG.

They didn't bother putting in the release notes that your PT account essentially is reset to Rank 0, thus allowing them to test the new Rank progression stuff.

EXTREMELY confusing since you start with T8 tech tree ships - something no Rank 0 account would have. 

*sigh*

"You will be granted Level 2 in your Service Record when you first log in to the Public Test account, but progress will be much faster than on the live server."

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,793 posts
4,631 battles

After one T1 battle (win) it suddenly jumped me up to Account Level 5 (FXP) and gave me the usual 3000 FXP.

I think the new UI is interesting.  It completely eschews the terms Account Level or Service Level and talks only in terms of features and the number of battles required to unlock the next.  The newbie can still look ahead to see what features will be available.  It's more simple and direct.  I look forward to seeing what the Port looks like with more features enabled.

[This thing has me wondering about the effect on the structure of the wiki...]

Update:  A T2 battle (win) brought me up to Account Level 8, enabling Upgrades, Commanders, Scenarios, and the Arsenal.  Also, a raft of SPACE BATTLES ships appeared in my port!  (Space Battles aren't enabled yet.)  All ships with the expected commanders

There's a bug though (and not a new one): At some point it becomes impossible to select a ship - any ship but the current one - in port from the carousel. (Tech tree works.)  Reported.

Update:  Third battle - long T3 Draw - unlocked Campaigns, Signals, Camouflages (Level 11).  Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to see the status of missions.  I'm not doing this for my health.

Update:  Fourth Battle.  Worlds shortest T1 yolo. Missions unlocked.  Now I can see the Catch-22.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,793 posts
4,631 battles

Catch-22 found!

You have to play four battles to upgrade to Missions, where you will find that you now have to play again to earn the 3-of-each-flag reward.

Well, Space Battles finally unlocked.  Maybe to tomorrow.

[WOLFB]
Members
984 posts
33,512 battles

As I said in my thread, They did not make it obvious you were starting out and had to play X number of games to even get a level.

And they will be wondering why no one plays..

And I still haven't found the number of people ON at any given time, as hitting esc does not bring up a PLAYERS ON LINE function,

What a fiasco.......................................................................

And the WOWs apologist can try and defend the indefensible

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Can’t see why would anyone want to PTS 8.2 seeing that there is no new ships. 

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts
7 hours ago, JCC45 said:

*sigh*

"You will be granted Level 2 in your Service Record when you first log in to the Public Test account, but progress will be much faster than on the live server."

'Granted' and 'Reset to' are not the same. Poor Russkie translation.

Also, never mentions that they are doing this to test the new Rank progression at all. Another failure in communication.

• Cool 2

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,999 battles
9 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

'Granted' and 'Reset to' are not the same. Poor Russkie translation.

Also, never mentions that they are doing this to test the new Rank progression at all. Another failure in communication.

1) You do not have a set level when you start any PTS.  Every time you play the PTS... EVERY TIME... your account level is reset.  It is on the opening splash screen the first time you log in.  The only difference is this time you are granted level 2 instead of 15.

2) "Progress will also be displayed in this menu for players who haven't reached Level 15 in their Service Record. The Service Record section of the profile has been updated, and now tracking progress and rewards will be more convenient for players. "

Edited by JCC45