You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Exeter missions - an interesting imbalance.

27 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles

It took me quite a few days to get the first stage done, mostly because I was overwhelmingly mining scout and fighter aircraft from enemy BB and CA in co-op, one or two at a time. I eventually had some uninterrupted time to devote to hardcore randoms gameplay and ended up in a double CV match in my Baltimore which hastened that.

Yesterday was good to me, though, and with the help of a few Random games to hurry me through the 8000 Base XP stage, I polished off phase two (Japanese ships only) in one day.

Now what am I going to do? It's nearly a week until phase three opens! I really do wish these phases would unlock upon completion of the previous one. (Among other things, that seven-achievement requirement is going to suck hard.)

[ARRSE]
Members
192 posts
1,401 battles

After buying and playing Exeter on EU, all I can say is that, unless you enjoy the grind as a challenge in itself, you'd be far better off just playing WoWS for fun and wait for Exeter to appear in a Christmas box or at one of the tier 5 50% sale discounts....

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
16 minutes ago, Turbogerbil said:

After buying and playing Exeter on EU, all I can say is that, unless you enjoy the grind as a challenge in itself, you'd be far better off just playing WoWS for fun and wait for Exeter to appear in a Christmas box or at one of the tier 5 50% sale discounts....

Why pay for something when I can win it for free and grind some of my ships in the process? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
4,359 posts
6,405 battles

If the stages unlocked when you finished them then you wouldn't need to log in every week and play. That's one of the ways WG has you play across longer periods of time instead of hardcore grind.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,907 posts
15,245 battles
57 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's nearly a week until phase three opens!

imagine you have to manage the main acnt for the grind, and the MASK acnt for the MASK event at the same time ............ then tell me how hard multi task are. :Smile_trollface:

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
13,269 battles

To me, the most undesirable imbalance is the very limited number of ships that are viable for each phase. Chasing the grind for each stage/task is repetitive enough; limiting it to such a small selection of ships adds to the tedium.

• Cool 1

[NSC]
Members
268 posts
7,609 battles
50 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If the stages unlocked when you finished them then you wouldn't need to log in every week and play. That's one of the ways WG has you play across longer periods of time instead of hardcore grind.

With 5300 battles, I suspect that he's around the game rather regularly.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
52 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

To me, the most undesirable imbalance is the very limited number of ships that are viable for each phase. Chasing the grind for each stage/task is repetitive enough; limiting it to such a small selection of ships adds to the tedium.

I think this is very much an individual thing. For example, the eligible ships I had for the Japanese phase were the Aoba, Hatsuharu, Furutaka and Mutsuki. This meant I had three ships on which I was actively working toward their successors, with sufficient motivation to play them all. 

For the first phase, I have all the US heavy and light tech tree cruisers to Tier VIII, the Benson and Farragut (sold the Mahan in disgust; could never get her to work for me), and three premiums (Sims, Monaghan, Indianapolis) into which I could put my new 19 pointer for ECXP mining. For the British in phases 3 and 4, I have Monarch to grind (she still hasn't got her B hull yet), Jervis to grind (still stock), and Cossack, Nelson, Warspite, Gallant and Fiji with which to mine Elite Commander XP, while all but the last can start fires.

So even if it's "tedious", I can put the tedium to good use in either advancing ships or advancing captains. One just has to have the right mindset.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,245 posts
25,085 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why pay for something when I can win it for free and grind some of my ships in the process? :Smile_teethhappy:

Because I’m too damn lazy, and have no faith in getting one otherwise.

1 hour ago, Vinidoanker said:

I hope next mission , 100 planes. More challenge.:cap_rambo:

Maybe? Shot down 65 planes in one battle to clear the 50 task with DFAA Nicholas.

7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

(sold the Mahan in disgust; could never get her to work for me,)

In a hurry for a T7 for the first T7 Ranked and grabbed Mahan. 60% wr...

...didn’t realize until months later when I finally went back to it I hadn’t installed any upgrades.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
13,269 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think this is very much an individual thing. For example, the eligible ships I had...

It is... 

I have Hatsuharu and Myoko for the IJN phase, and am in the midst of both grinds, so I had the motivation, but the motivation with such limited variety is a straight jacket. Even having all the cruisers and DDs of the US/British/etc., hoping to load into CV battles, was rather restrictive. 

I’m actually looking forward to a few days of the next phase not being at hand so I can pursue what I want, when I want.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

In a hurry for a T7 for the first T7 Ranked and grabbed Mahan. 60% wr...

...didn’t realize until months later when I finally went back to it I hadn’t installed any upgrades.

:Smile_teethhappy:

We all have that ship that doesn't work for us - the Mahan was mine. But then you are one of those people who swears by the Emerald, so I'm not surprised to see you making a good go of Mahan.

Mind you, I had a good time grinding through the Normandie... which I'd won as an early unlock... to find at the end that although the B modules came researched and paid for, they did not come selected... and I hadn't selected mine for the entirety of the grind. I only realised when I was looking for obsolete modules to sell and it offered me Normandie B hull, GFCS and engines! :fish_palm:

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
225 posts
7,584 battles

I think it's a good event - it's quite a bit of work for just a T5 premium but the side rewards are nice and it's always good to switch it up a bit. This IJN portion had me pull out the minekaze and made me realize pretty damn fast why I shelved her. Shinonome did much better for the flooding part.

My Cossack is gonna get the workout in the following 2 weeks - which is fine cause it's a great boat.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I’m actually looking forward to a few days of the next phase not being at hand so I can pursue what I want, when I want.

I must confess, I am not entirely in disagreement with this sentiment. I have, for example, spent far too long away from the PTS. Fortunately, Directive 4 of this stage does not appear to be too onerous. I'm so close to the Furious I can smell the AVGAS, and after that it ceases to matter for me; Implacable is an impossible grind to do free in the time available (I have missed too many Florins, IIRC) and the grind to get her is T5+ and thus eligible for stuff.

[RLGN]
Members
14,245 posts
25,085 battles
37 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I must confess, I am not entirely in disagreement with this sentiment. I have, for example, spent far too long away from the PTS. Fortunately, Directive 4 of this stage does not appear to be too onerous. I'm so close to the Furious I can smell the AVGAS, and after that it ceases to matter for me; Implacable is an impossible grind to do free in the time available (I have missed too many Florins, IIRC) and the grind to get her is T5+ and thus eligible for stuff.

Just got Furious....

Christ Wargaming... Could you have possibly picked anything more boring looking for the aircraft?

But then you made Swordfish a bomber instead of a torpie, so I guess that’s par for the course.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
13,269 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I’ve got a Hindenburg that is perilously close to geting its unique upgrade, and a Des Moines that is not far behind; I have an Amagi that was researched three days ago, but not yet bought; and a KGV grind nearing an end.

And beyond that, I grew my fleet at a dead sprint from December to early January to get snowflake steel for Stalingrad (succeeded), so the last month and a half has been a period of re-trenching and backfill - credit grinds to put modules in bare-bones T9 and T10 ships, maybe even buy back some ships I sold to pay for the T9-10 rush; captain XP grinds to crew the new ships or to put passable “second line” captains on old ships as high-point caprains were moved up on new ships; coal grinds for radar mods, speed boost mods, DamCon mods.

...and all that is not quite done yet.

So, my enthusiasm for being confined in a small box for a T5 cruiser has bounds.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It took me quite a few days to get the first stage done, mostly because I was overwhelmingly mining scout and fighter aircraft from enemy BB and CA in co-op, one or two at a time. I eventually had some uninterrupted time to devote to hardcore randoms gameplay and ended up in a double CV match in my Baltimore which hastened that.

Yesterday was good to me, though, and with the help of a few Random games to hurry me through the 8000 Base XP stage, I polished off phase two (Japanese ships only) in one day.

Now what am I going to do? It's nearly a week until phase three opens! I really do wish these phases would unlock upon completion of the previous one. (Among other things, that seven-achievement requirement is going to suck hard.)

That's why I bought it.

[ONE]
Members
333 posts
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

That's why I bought it.

Same here, my time was worth more than the money it cost.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
2 minutes ago, 6thGuards said:

Same here, my time was worth more than the money it cost.

There was no way my current mental health would take the stress of trying to get that done in a week. I barely play PvP as it is now.

[RLGN]
Members
14,245 posts
25,085 battles
30 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I’ve got a Hindenburg that is perilously close to geting its unique upgrade, and a Des Moines that is not far behind; I have an Amagi that was researched three days ago, but not yet bought; and a KGV grind nearing an end.

At least you’re trying for the mods.

I almost all cases, as far as I personally am concerned, WG can take high tier gameplay and go to hell with it; so I’m barely even advancing.

3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

(Among other things, that seven-achievement requirement is going to suck hard.)

Retread stupidity, likely from retread rollovers from Tanks, where they apparently think achievements grow on trees. (One only needs to look at the so-called ‘Daily Missons’ in Tanks to understand they are all almost exclusively ‘Unicums only need apply.’)

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles

Exeter is an ok ship, but that 12 second reload really holds it back. I wish they made it 10 seconds. Especially since they took out the smoke.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,972 posts
14,258 battles
38 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

There was no way my current mental health would take the stress of trying to get that done in a week. I barely play PvP as it is now.

If I fail, there will probably be some sort of basic bare-ship, zero-point-captain package down the road, with no frills or extra-XP missions or anything like that. Besides, If I bought it, I would still feel the pressure to fight it out for the doubloon value.

4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Retread stupidity, likely from retread rollovers from Tanks, where they apparently think achievements grow on trees. (One only needs to look at the so-called ‘Daily Missons’ in Tanks to understand they are all almost exclusively ‘Unicums only need apply.’)

Yes and no. I'm thinking about all the awards that lie easily within my grasp and considering rather morbidly that Flesh Wound and Detonation both count. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
18 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Exeter is an ok ship, but that 12 second reload really holds it back. I wish they made it 10 seconds. Especially since they took out the smoke.

Any Exeter crew member with a cold stays in Port. One sneeze and we could sink.

17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I fail, there will probably be some sort of basic bare-ship, zero-point-captain package down the road, with no frills or extra-XP missions or anything like that. Besides, If I bought it, I would still feel the pressure to fight it out for the doubloon value.

Yes and no. I'm thinking about all the awards that lie easily within my grasp and considering rather morbidly that Flesh Wound and Detonation both count. :Smile_teethhappy:

Oh flesh wound and dets are good for me too, I just can't deal with PvP right now. It's why I didn't try for the Maskarado event.

[RLGN]
Members
14,245 posts
25,085 battles
10 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Any Exeter crew member with a cold stays in Port. One sneeze and we could sink.

Very first PvP in Exeter; my spidey sense was tingling; (da heck? nearly two minutes in and none of the Red destroyers spotted yet?) as I approached that NE corner on New Dawn.

Lo an behold, here came a Fubuki.

For once I wasn’t caught out and was already thinking about popping hydro. Did so, dodged the torps, and picked the poor ‘buki apart, sleep reload or not. Kind of hard not to, since it was so close smoke didn’t help it.

Maybe that was all I did that game of any significance, but it kept the Fubuki from flanking some Green battshiis, and was what I like to call, ‘a good first impression.’

Exeter is gud bote.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[NDA]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,503 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Can't argue with that kind of logic.

Well, you could. But it would be pedantic and rather silly.

It's only a model!

Shhhh!

I didn't take that route, simply because I haven't had the time to pay a lot of attention to ze sheeps of war these past few weeks.

Although I'd have been happier if I'd had the option of just the ship in question instead of having to grab everything else and said boat.

Ah well, such is life.