Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xPapa_Smurfx

Well, CVs are right back where they were for the majority of players

37 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
306 posts
4,777 battles

Pointless in the hands of the general player base, supposedly deadly in the hands of the Super-Unicum.  Getting more rare by the day.  Can we get the RTS CVs back?  At least you knew when CVs actually showed up in a game that it was probably in the hands of someone who could and would one shot you.

  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[SOUTH]
Members
6 posts
9,532 battles

You say that, but just this evening, I was driving my Langley, and ended up in a 3 CV match. With a total of 7 ships per side. It looked more like a ranked battle than a random. More often than not, in T10 battles I'm seeing double CV games, lots of radar and lots of AA ships. this is the new meta, because nobody knows when they will see a CV, so they are always prepared for one it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,159 posts
11,181 battles

I see CVs about as much as I used to, roughly 75% of the time. I envy those who say they never see one.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
480 posts
4,676 battles

Tier 4 will kill off more players than usual... because who wants to grind 60k XP in a tier 4 ship when you average 400-1000XP per game...

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
605
[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

The silly part is shooting down 25-30 planes in a Dallas until you run out of defensive fire charges/ Catapult fighters...and then the CV keeps striking you until you get chipped to death as your AA gets broken. On a good day a surviving DD or some other ship will bum-rush the map edge and kill them before you are plane-spammed to death.

Edited by Vekta408
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
267 posts
668 battles
10 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

The silly part is shooting down 25-30 planes in a Dallas until you run out of defensive fire charges/ Catapult fighters...and then the CV keeps striking you until you get chipped to death as your AA gets broken. On a good day a surviving DD or some other ship will bum-rush the map edge and kill them before you are plane-spammed to death.

If you managed to take down 30 planes you have essentially deplaned the CV... if he continues to attack you beyond that point it would be with less than full squadrons (1-3 planes) which a Dallas would annihilate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
605
[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
4 minutes ago, cbell77 said:

If you managed to take down 30 planes you have essentially deplaned the CV... if he continues to attack you beyond that point it would be with less than full squadrons (1-3 planes) which a Dallas would annihilate.

Don't know what to tell you. Wasn't 1-3 planes though. With as many games and strikes I've had to try dodging it's kind of hard not to notice being spammed with squads big enough that can try striking you twice with each run until the game ends or someone dies.

It just doesn't balance. If it's good for CV it's terrible for every other ship. If it's good for surface ships it's terrible for the CV. Not going to balance this any time soon.

Edited by Vekta408
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
267 posts
668 battles
2 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

Don't know what to tell you. Wasn't 1-3 planes though. With as many games and strikes I've had to try dodging it's kind of hard not to notice being spammed with squads big enough that can try striking you twice with each run until the game ends or someone dies.

Dont know what to tell you either, math is math and what you are saying is very unlikely if not impossible.

tier 6 CV

IJN CV 27 planes on deck with an average of a 01:00 per new plane

British CV 18 planes on deck with an average of 01:00-01:30 per new planes

USN CV 27 planes on deck with an average of 01:00-01:10

You must have been out by yourself and 2 CV's saw you as a target of opportunity. Even tier 8 CV cant really produce a number high enough to fully deal with the loss of 30 planes and maintain a constant attack there would have to be a large break for replenishment.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
27 minutes ago, cbell77 said:

If you managed to take down 30 planes you have essentially deplaned the CV... if he continues to attack you beyond that point it would be with less than full squadrons (1-3 planes) which a Dallas would annihilate.

shot down 31 planes in a single cv game in the dallas, still lost and the enemy cv had a Kraken. It can happen

Also you are overlooking one thing....FIGHTER PLANES(not rocket fighters)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
267 posts
668 battles
7 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

shot down 31 planes in a single cv game in the dallas, still lost and the enemy cv had a Kraken. It can happen

Also you are overlooking one thing....FIGHTER PLANES(not rocket fighters)

Well then you did not shoot down his planes hence why he kept attacking you but still a Dallas can hold there own against an equal tiered CV no problem having massive AA bubble and extras.

maybe i would attack a Dallas with the ranger but the others are to flimsy against that kind of AA even when alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

shot down 31 planes in a single cv game in the dallas, still lost and the enemy cv had a Kraken. It can happen

Also you are overlooking one thing....FIGHTER PLANES(not rocket fighters)

Ok, so did you shoot down a bunch of fighters, or did you shoot down a bunch of strike craft? If you know that 31 plane kill count is heavily diluted with fighters, then why are you making it seem like such a big deal that the CV was still able to attack? "I shot down every catapult fighter that battleship launched and he STILL kept attacking!" Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

  • Cool 3
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
1 minute ago, Frenotx said:

Ok, so did you shoot down a bunch of fighters, or did you shoot down a bunch of strike craft? If you know that 31 plane kill count is heavily diluted with fighters, then why are you making it seem like such a big deal that the CV was still able to attack? "I shot down every catapult fighter that battleship launched and he STILL kept attacking!" Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

was about 90% strike, however you saying that 30 is deplaned is not correct And if memory serves I think the rest of the team as a whole shot down like 18....so that like 49 planes. By the end of the game he was about little over 50% on his flights, mostly cause he didnt lose a single db against 2 diffent battleships. That sort "Eco" can really change things up in terms of combat effectiveness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
24 minutes ago, cbell77 said:

Well then you did not shoot down his planes hence why he kept attacking you but still a Dallas can hold there own against an equal tiered CV no problem having massive AA bubble and extras.

maybe i would attack a Dallas with the ranger but the others are to flimsy against that kind of AA even when alone.

ranger gives dallas some issues. I have to wait for you to get about 4km before I even think of using dfaa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,576
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,529 posts

FWIW it's an easy climb through both of the original lines. I originally had gone only to tier six both original lines. Had tier seven usn unlocked. I've been playing 90% carriers since the rework release and now have both Midway and Hak in my port. 

You could add me to those tier ten players, except the operational costs are out of line on the Midway  and Hak, imo, because we F2P players dont's spend for perma-camos or premium time. I think it's been about a month since 0.8.0 dropped? 

The best tier to play for beginners is indeed tier four. Great thing there is no concern about fighter aircraft. There's little AA(A) to speak of on the ships you encounter. You can teach yourself a lot of bad habits thou... 

So if I can do it, I guarantee you can do it - you just got to want to do it. They are fun - and you get to see parts of the maps you otherwise would never see, up close and personal. 

There's also that unexpected mission or campaign coming (one day in the future) which requires an aircraft carrier to complete it. If you're a bit OCD about such things, you'll definitely want to have some carrier experience and one or two tier six carrier. In my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
260
[PVE]
Members
1,033 posts
8,586 battles

By 'back to where they were' do you mean getting cross dropped by 3 sets of torp plans while someone else was attacked by bombers all while my friendly DDs are getting perma spotted until they get sunk all by 1 enemy CV player?  Or having practically no say in the outcome of a game when a skilled CV is present?  Yes it is totally the same for non-CV drivers now...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,246
[YORHA]
Members
5,018 posts
10,004 battles
15 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

The cvs are simply dead now all fun sucked out, soul vanquished. Hardly see the rare breed.

I wish someone would tell that to the Midway player who kicked my Kutuzov's butt last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,560 posts
3,808 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

I wish someone would tell that to the Midway player who kicked my Kutuzov's butt last night.

Take a look at tier 4 to 6 oh my god lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,246
[YORHA]
Members
5,018 posts
10,004 battles

I do and I usually get at least 1 and sometimes 2 CVs per game (at least tier VI... I rarely play IV -V anymore).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
489 posts
3 hours ago, cbell77 said:

If you managed to take down 30 planes you have essentially deplaned the CV... if he continues to attack you beyond that point it would be with less than full squadrons (1-3 planes) which a Dallas would annihilate.

He's a DD whiner who just spews lies because he loves the fact CVs are gimped into oblivion

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
306 posts
4,777 battles
53 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

By 'back to where they were' do you mean getting cross dropped by 3 sets of torp plans while someone else was attacked by bombers all while my friendly DDs are getting perma spotted until they get sunk all by 1 enemy CV player?  Or having practically no say in the outcome of a game when a skilled CV is present?  Yes it is totally the same for non-CV drivers now...

Yes, this is what I mean.  Skilled players can (supposedly, I haven't seen it yet) still annihilate ships even with the totally nerfed damage output.  And yes, the number of CVs is dropping steadily and will decline as more and more frustration sets in and CV players see their contributions amounting to little or nothing.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
283 posts
4,805 battles

It's just the DDs I fear. I had no fear of the cvs before the rework just ignored them. And now it is the same. I don't look for them, don't prepare for them and they don't bother me. The only difference now is the bonus points I get for shooting down planes I didn't even see. That's cause I'm too busy playing the  (original) game with SHIPS. I watched a pro drive a CV around the other day.........holy, I can see now why there has been a commotion. The planes look like really good synchronized swimmers. I went for a little grind to get the tier 4 cv. After watching that video I think I'll just buy signals. I'm bad enough in a cruiser. I'm sure I would deserve a keel haul for my performance in a cv so for the sake of my fellow players I won't go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
638
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,425 posts

I am at a loss because an alpha gnawing is not possible with CVs on same tier BBs. I routinely get 16 torp hits on BBs in COOP for 80k damage spread across the entire game since a full flight of torpedo planes last 2-3 passes max. I spend the rest of the game waiting on planes to reload since by golly, AA is so messed up it's impossible to avoid or your flight emerges in AA hell so it just blows up.

Not fun helplessly watching a flight disappear because the game mechanics flew it into a perfect AA storm before giving you control of the flight back long enough to see it die.

Spotting is a joke. The navies didn't send search boats on 2000km search routes - they sent planes.  In game it's max flak range which itself is a joke. Since AA can fire at anything within their AA range then they can lead planes leaving their AA range ero firing outside their AA range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
Members
117 posts
6,918 battles
4 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

was about 90% strike, however you saying that 30 is deplaned is not correct And if memory serves I think the rest of the team as a whole shot down like 18....so that like 49 planes. By the end of the game he was about little over 50% on his flights, mostly cause he didnt lose a single db against 2 diffent battleships. That sort "Eco" can really change things up in terms of combat effectiveness. 

That's just a fallacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
19 minutes ago, Caine said:

That's just a fallacy

how is that a fallacy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×