Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QQ_Whine_Moar

MOAR DD Main tears...

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
3 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

not bad. Nothing more entertaining than a low damage kraken to mess with your team :P

hahahaha. It was a pretty funny game. Lots of planes ignoring me for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
507
[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
10,044 battles

I have had some good DD games too, but dodging CV's half the game isn't really all that fun. Worse is that they always seem to bee-line straight towards you, is that RPF or am I just that unlucky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles

Probably both. I tried to keep my AA off to be sneaky. Seems to help a lot for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,851
[USCC2]
Members
6,051 posts
5 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

I have had some good DD games too, but dodging CV's half the game isn't really all that fun. Worse is that they always seem to bee-line straight towards you, is that RPF or am I just that unlucky?

Strange when dodging torpedoes with 'torpedo soup-gate' was considered unacceptable and so was changed. Community and very much BBs = happy!

Dodging CV aircraft as a DD wasn't/isn't fun either; WG even helped - which was nice as the DD has the lowest survival anyway.

Yet for certain players who had already been helped with the first CV nerf (BB) - this was apparently disgraceful. I remember another change made where OWSF was taken away (something I agreed with) - BBs happy; but it was replaced with a system and mechanics that saw BBs able to single wipe out a DD with AP from a location where the DD couldn't even see the ship firing at it (sounds a lot like OWSF :Smile_smile:). It took 2 years to change that (AP 280+ change) - but apparently that was disgraceful too.

Guess it comes down to your perspective - and the ship you main. :Smile_honoring:


 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,660 posts
5 hours ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Probably both. I tried to keep my AA off to be sneaky. Seems to help a lot for me. 

This only really helps if you're trying to hide in smoke or have AA range that exceeds your detection range.

Having a good battle in a DD now-a-days is partly down to RNG luck and player luck.  With a good spawn and a CV that never comes you're way, you're golden!  Get a bad spawn or a CV that seems to have it out for you and you're going to struggle to do well and to have fun.

Grats on the Kraken!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,275
[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,311 battles

This is the ultimate revenge a DD can have on a CV

shot-19.03.07_23.48.42-0087.jpg

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,954
[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles

Nice job, OP. Proves the lot of destroyers is not quite hopeless, though I agree removing RPF from aircraft is very much a step in the right direction. I haven't tried the change out in the PTS yet; does the carrier itself still get it?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,357
[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Nice job, OP. Proves the lot of destroyers is not quite hopeless, though I agree removing RPF from aircraft is very much a step in the right direction. I haven't tried the change out in the PTS yet; does the carrier itself still get it?

One have "proves" nothing - you'd want to look at average damage, kills, etc before and after the rework to make any meaningful conclusion either way on this topic.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
12 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

One have "proves" nothing - you'd want to look at average damage, kills, etc before and after the rework to make any meaningful conclusion either way on this topic.

Thanks. The "post one single game and present as proof of <fill in the blank>" is ungood. It would be great if it stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
267 posts
668 battles
1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

This only really helps if you're trying to hide in smoke or have AA range that exceeds your detection range.

Having a good battle in a DD now-a-days is partly down to RNG luck and player luck.  With a good spawn and a CV that never comes you're way, you're golden!  Get a bad spawn or a CV that seems to have it out for you and you're going to struggle to do well and to have fun.

Grats on the Kraken!

As a CV main I personally DO NOT want to target DDs as primary target. I would much rather be hitting BB's and CA's (like I used to do in RTS) but Wargaming added such insane AA that I am basically shoehorned into attacked DD's otherwise no damage. Just my 2 cents.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,660 posts
13 minutes ago, cbell77 said:

As a CV main I personally DO NOT want to target DDs as primary target. I would much rather be hitting BB's and CA's (like I used to do in RTS) but Wargaming added such insane AA that I am basically shoehorned into attacked DD's otherwise no damage. Just my 2 cents.

I am sure.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  The three words that keep me from being a better player.

I have started playing operations and there seems to be more fun in them at present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

One have "proves" nothing - you'd want to look at average damage, kills, etc before and after the rework to make any meaningful conclusion either way on this topic.

Yeah, I didn't have an agenda. I wasn't saying anything about the rework or drawing a conclusion other than the CVs didn't target me effectively and I got 6 kills.

Also for @Pytheas

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
2 hours ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

This only really helps if you're trying to hide in smoke or have AA range that exceeds your detection range.

Having a good battle in a DD now-a-days is partly down to RNG luck and player luck.  With a good spawn and a CV that never comes you're way, you're golden!  Get a bad spawn or a CV that seems to have it out for you and you're going to struggle to do well and to have fun.

Grats on the Kraken!

I think you are partly right but also dodging and being mobile matters. DDs can do a lot to avoid sky cancer IMO. CV player skill is a YUGE factor too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Nice job, OP. Proves the lot of destroyers is not quite hopeless, though I agree removing RPF from aircraft is very much a step in the right direction. I haven't tried the change out in the PTS yet; does the carrier itself still get it?

I think its just the planes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,589
Members
6,621 posts
20,609 battles
8 hours ago, Kebobstuzov said:

not bad. Nothing more entertaining than a low damage kraken to mess with your team :P

I had a kraken and was like 8th on my team. Yes. I sniped the last two kills. And I would do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,660 posts
7 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

I think you are partly right but also dodging and being mobile matters. DDs can do a lot to avoid sky cancer IMO. CV player skill is a YUGE factor too. 

You are absolutely correct, but there is only so much dodging a DD can do against something that is at least four times faster than it is.  The specific DD or DD line you favor driving makes a huge difference as well.  Some turn on a dime and others turn like CVs.

Either way, at some point you become that fat kid in the dodgeball game.

 

 

 

 

dodge.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

1313796697_Screenshot(610).thumb.png.e2f8cf1ba5225d1bf1cd8a1ecf4935b6.png

There were 2 CVs and 1 DD per team in this one; I spent the entire battle dodging planes from the two enemy carriers, with varying levels of success.  Despite that, and some very questionable play by several teammates, we were in a position to win the game until the enemy Midway managed to land a single bomb to finish me off in the final 90 seconds of the match.  I wouldn't say this battle was "fun", but it was definitely a challenge.

9 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

I have had some good DD games too, but dodging CV's half the game isn't really all that fun. Worse is that they always seem to bee-line straight towards you, is that RPF or am I just that unlucky?

The issue is that good destroyer play is generally fairly predictable, and a CV player who is aware of the mini map and capable of reacting to changing game circumstances can take advantage of that to get a very good idea of your general location.  To use my game above as an example, it was a very tight domination game throughout and I was obviously focusing on gaining caps while (mostly) staying out of range of their radar cruisers--even when I wasn't actually in a cap, it was pretty obvious where I was heading based on where the remaining enemy ships were.  Destroyer_KuroshioKai actually uploaded a video a couple days ago with an early example of this and how he reacted to it: Link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

I had a kraken and was like 8th on my team. Yes. I sniped the last two kills. And I would do it again.

This!!

I was top on my team this time but i'll snipe anything. A kill is a kill baby

giphy.gif

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,905 battles
1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

You are absolutely correct, but there is only so much dodging a DD can do against something that is at least four times faster than it is.  The specific DD or DD line you favor driving makes a huge difference as well.  Some turn on a dime and others turn like CVs.

Either way, at some point you become that fat kid in the dodgeball game.

 

 

 

 

dodge.jpg

hahahahahahahaha

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
3 hours ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Yeah, I didn't have an agenda. I wasn't saying anything about the rework or drawing a conclusion other than the CVs didn't target me effectively and I got 6 kills.

Also for @Pytheas

Cool thanks. Nice kill securing match ;p

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[B808]
Members
1,315 posts
7,675 battles
11 hours ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Probably both. I tried to keep my AA off to be sneaky. Seems to help a lot for me. 

Have seen DD's head straight for the CV's and not worry about anything else by being sneaky, not saying you did though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×