Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Can the Baltimore get her repair party back?

27 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
785 posts
2,779 battles

I do like this ship but most of the time it's uptiered to tier 10 fights where it struggles (last tier 10 games score was 116 HE hits for only 20k damage). It has decent armour for a cruiser but most tier 9+ CA/BB hits really hurt.

Any chance it can lose (as a option) one of its modules like defensive AA or even radar to regain the repair party? 

• Cool 1

[-TDH-]
Members
50 posts
9,752 battles

I doubt it. Wichita was recently released as a same tier premium and she doesnt get a heal. Like the rest of the t8 premium cruisers (aside from irian and kutuzov which enjoy smoke or the ability to stealth torpedo comfortably, as well as much longer ranged guns). Baltimore is very strong at tier 8, any t8 is going to have a hard time against tier 10s. If your doing that little damage with 8in guns and that many hits, your aiming at the wrong spot, or rnjesus really hated you that game. Also, Baltimore's strength lies in her ap, only use the he on bow tanking battleships when you can fire from stealth, otherwise stay hidden and try to maneuver into a spot where you can put that wonderful super heavy ap to work. I might get hated on for saying this, but consider trying a few games where you swap your radar for a spotter plane. Ive found many players(myself included) position far to aggressively at the start to try to put themselves in a spot to put thier radar to work and they get spotted and focused. The spotter will allow you more opportunities to put your dpm to work at a safer range. Give it a shot.

[LUCK]
Members
1,951 posts
31 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

She's one of the strongest tier VIII cruisers, a heal would be overkill. 

Agreed but MM essentially has kept it T9 without the heal or MB3.

[BNKR]
Members
1,625 posts
2,516 battles
7 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Agreed but MM essentially has kept it T9 without the heal or MB3.

I never got to play her at tier IX and I'm sad about that.

[PT]
Members
785 posts
2,779 battles
2 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

She's one of the strongest tier VIII cruisers, a heal would be overkill. 

Not arguing but what makes her strong? Her AP shells are good against other cruisers but ineffective against BBs, her rate of fire starting is also poor, I find it less than 10%, he AA is good and her armour is ok. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,149 posts

The MM isn't flooded with Atagos and Prinz Eugens and they have repair parties. (And nobody would claim that they are weak performers.) All Tier 8 Cruisers should get a single charge of repair party with no premium version. (So a max of two charges if you have the SI skill.)

• Cool 1

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Not arguing but what makes her strong? Her AP shells are good against other cruisers but ineffective against BBs, her rate of fire starting is also poor, I find it less than 10%, he AA is good and her armour is ok. 

This right here makes me laugh so hard. The baltimore and most USN heavy cruisers should use ap on bb's, WHEN THEY ARE BROADSIDE. Seriously go take a look at t8,9,10 bbs and look how squishy the deck and upper belt are. American 203 will find decent damage there. It is not uncommon to get 6-10k strikes at 12km on a broad bb. 

• Cool 1

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
22 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

The MM isn't flooded with Atagos and Prinz Eugens and they have repair parties. (And nobody would claim that they are weak performers.) All Tier 8 Cruisers should get a single charge of repair party with no premium version. (So a max of two charges if you have the SI skill.)

There is a reason atago isnt being played. CV's. Atago had 5 things going for it. 

1. Stealth. Before rework and [edited] captain skill change it was a ninja with 9.1

2. OMG 21% fire chance and tight clustering HE shell

3. USABLE TORPS

4. Ability to hunt subs and picket against torps with hydro(so many easy kills)

5. HEALING

Then came the rework and well stealth is gone. Every bb fires at it, can no longer dd hunt. If you think that heal makes a diffence in the cv meta, it really doesnt.

Members
6,621 posts
20,658 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

She is a an area of denial ship. She gets tucked in like a tick and becomes a no fly zone, and radars the cap keeping pesky dd's away. Most people use her incorrectly and end up exposing to much and get deleted. Currently my favorite ship in the game.

Members
6,621 posts
20,658 battles
46 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

There is a reason atago isnt being played. CV's. Atago had 5 things going for it. 

1. Stealth. Before rework and [edited] captain skill change it was a ninja with 9.1

2. OMG 21% fire chance and tight clustering HE shell

3. USABLE TORPS

4. Ability to hunt subs and picket against torps with hydro(so many easy kills)

5. HEALING

Then came the rework and well stealth is gone. Every bb fires at it, can no longer dd hunt. If you think that heal makes a diffence in the cv meta, it really doesnt.

I think the atago is my second most played ship, I haven't played her since CVpalooza.

Members
938 posts
16,048 battles

I'm wondering why CV doesn't get heal since its almost like battleships body. Lot of repair party crew than most bb. Yet atago and Takao got heal.:cap_viking:

Members
193 posts
9,200 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

Currently my favorite ship in the game.

Agree, I have unlocked Buffalo but I wish I could just take Baltimore to T9 with me, heal or no heal.

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

I think the atago is my second most played ship, I haven't played her since CVpalooza.

im just shy of 3mil xp on mine

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
2 hours ago, Vinidoanker said:

I'm wondering why CV doesn't get heal since its almost like battleships body. Lot of repair party crew than most bb. Yet atago and Takao got heal.:cap_viking:

so...long range firepower that only has to worry about sneaky fast destroyers and you want a heal.....

giphy.gif

Members
935 posts
4,073 battles

I don't think the Baltimore needs heal. I've played with it and I'd say it's one of the strongest tier 8 cruisers in the game, and it also does not suffer from a tier 10 uptier at all.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

Baltimore should never get her Repair Party back unless that consumable is a standard feature for Tier VIII Cruisers.

Edit:  Kutuzov should NEVER get Repair Party.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
563 posts
15,981 battles

I wish I had screenshots.....last time I played Baltimore (last week with the USN/RN cruiser missions), I got 6 kills, 21 citadels, just shy of 200k damage.  Granted....it wasn’t a tier 10 game, but it WAS tier 9.  Most of those citadels came from a Neptune and a Mogami,  but I tore up an Iowa and a Lion with the AP as well.  So Balt’s AP most certainly DOES work well against BBs.

[-KAK-]
Members
585 posts
10,936 battles
13 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

(last tier 10 games score was 116 HE hits for only 20k damage).

Wait - You had 116 HE hits, and you only did 20K damage?  That's ~170 damage per shell (Insanely low) - I don't think that you need a heal on your Balti, I think you need to stop shooting HE at BB belt armor.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

A consideration is the Repair Party would make it easier to deal with Tier X matches.  But on the same token, a 27mm bow Baltimore with SHS AP shells, good ROF, Radar, AA, decent stealth and sailing characteristics, that is able to take on face-to-face Tier VII and below BBs with ease that has guns smaller than 406mm and then give it Repair Party is a lot to ask for.  Not to mention Baltimore dealing with lower tier Cruisers having Repair Party as an added advantage.

Far too much to be gained.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BROOK]
3,149 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A consideration is the Repair Party would make it easier to deal with Tier X matches.  But on the same token, a 27mm bow Baltimore with SHS AP shells, good ROF, Radar, AA, decent stealth and sailing characteristics, that is able to take on face-to-face Tier VII and below BBs with ease that has guns smaller than 406mm and then give it Repair Party is a lot to ask for.  Not to mention Baltimore dealing with lower tier Cruisers having Repair Party as an added advantage.

Far too much to be gained.

Yeah, because IFHE Boises are just tearing up the mid-tiers....oh wait...they're not.

[LUCK]
Members
1,951 posts
16 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I never got to play her at tier IX and I'm sad about that.

Before the split they buffed her ROF and with MB3 reload was about 8 seconds. I don't play it much since the first week or two after the split. At first you would get MM that was reasonable. Now whenever I queue it up I'm bottom, bottom tier so why bother. The only T8s I play anymore are Mass and Kutu.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,727 battles
15 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Baltimore can't work over a BB like a DM can do to the 10 sec reload compared to 5 for the DM, and DM has a bit more Armor.  But it has the Super Heavy AP Shell she is equipped with, unlike Wichita (pre-baltimore) which doesn't get it.  

Members
1,439 posts
8,824 battles

The Baltimore is definitely balanced just fine with the other tier 8 cruisers and does not need a specific buff.  I think there is a reasonable case to be made for just giving all cruisers access to Repair Party, though.

Sign in to follow this