You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Francois424

Renaming a captain while in Port?

15 comments in this topic

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

Hey all, maybe a stupid question, maybe not... but here goes :  Is it possible to rename a captain in any way from the port interface? 
I know in World of Tanks you can go in the personel file of a crew member and change his looks and/or his name from said interface.  Usually cost like 50-100 gold to do it to so it's very convenient.

The main reason I am asking, is that a while ago we lost "Kevin Seagull" who was renamed "John Doe".  Even tho I still to this day not agree with the change, I understand why WG did it.
However, and nothing personal against ppl whose real name is John Doe, I would like to change his name to something else.
I thought about opening a game ticket but I figured folks at WarGaming have better stuff to do with their time than to rename captains.

That is all.

[PVE]
Members
442 posts
17,736 battles

No, sadly there isn't . I think being able to customise our commanders would be a great idea though

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles

The only way you can "rename" a captain is to re-roll his name before creation (EX: I want to put a 3pt cap on a new ship. I click "New Commander" and keep re-rolling his name and appearance there, then click Assign to Ship)

TLDR: You can't rename a captain after it has been officially created. However, I do think it would be lots of fun.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

Alright, thanks guys.

Hopefully a WG employee sees this and brings it up.
If we could pick some restricted portraits (like the odd ones we could buy for... coal? a few months ago) for extra doubloons, that would be really cool as well.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

You can rename a captain but it takes a bit of file manipulation. It will reset with every patch too.

worked.jpg.0b5a5507822fc87ccd535a13b8084a9a.jpg

• Cool 1

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You can rename a captain but it takes a bit of file manipulation. It will reset with every patch too.

worked.jpg.0b5a5507822fc87ccd535a13b8084a9a.jpg

Oo thanks for that... I hope you cannot get banned for that tho !

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
4 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

Oo thanks for that... I hope you cannot get banned for that tho !

It doesn't affect gameplay, just what you see in the Port. There are mods posted in the modding section that change the names and all of the portraits too.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

cool. doing a backup of the (very big) WoWS folder then starting to mess around with that.
Since I'm going to be editing one commander, might as well tweak a few others as well if I can.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

It doesn't affect gameplay, just what you see in the Port. There are mods posted in the modding section that change the names and all of the portraits too.

Ok I can't change the name of "John Doe"
Managed to fix everything else I wanted tho.

I did find  -- msgid "IDS_SEAGAL"  in the file, but it already says the proper name and not John Doe.
please, do tell how to change his name, and thank you again

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
13 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

Ok I can't change the name of "John Doe"
Managed to fix everything else I wanted tho.

I did find  -- msgid "IDS_SEAGAL"  in the file, but it already says the proper name and not John Doe.
please, do tell how to change his name, and thank you again

Have you looked for "JohnDoe?" or some such. It's been a while since I edited anything so I can't give you any specific directions.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Have you looked for "JohnDoe?" or some such. It's been a while since I edited anything so I can't give you any specific directions.

I can only find the "Steven Seagal" name.  which does not say "JohnDoe" or "John Doe". (Ctrl-F + searching for Seagal, or Doe).
I've searched around, and could only find old posts / dead links and nothing recent... except one of your posts from January 8th or something.
You appear to be the last person that managed it.  Just my luck the only name I want to change appears to be unchangeable... grrrr

[WOLF8]
Members
7,345 posts
6,239 battles

You're editting the global.mo, right?

Each special captain has the displayed name and the hidden file ID name.

The Seagal's file ID name is still SEAGAL, even though the captain himself was changed to "John Doe" with a new face in-game. After all, it's still the same captain, just with a new name & new looks.

msgid "IDS_SEAGAL" is the file ID name. Leave this alone. Just below it, there should a line that says msgstr "John Doe" so change the John Doe between the two quotation marks to whatever you like.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles
27 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

You're editting the global.mo, right?

Each special captain has the displayed name and the hidden file ID name.

The Seagal's file ID name is still SEAGAL, even though the captain himself was changed to "John Doe" with a new face in-game. After all, it's still the same captain, just with a new name & new looks.

msgid "IDS_SEAGAL" is the file ID name. Leave this alone. Just below it, there should a line that says msgstr "John Doe" so change the John Doe between the two quotation marks to whatever you like.

Global.mo --> Yes
 --> msgstr "Steven Seagal"

It's already like that but *I* did not touch it.
I tried changing it to "Kevin Seagull" and it's still John Doe in the game.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,345 posts
6,239 battles

If your msgstr already says "Steven Seagal" then it's already been changed from John Doe to Steven Seagal.

My next guess would be that you put your edited global.mo into a wrong folder, hence the edit is not registering with the game. Make sure you put it in the res_mod/0.8.1.1/texts/en/LC_MESSAGES/ folder. Don't change the global.mo in the original "res" folder.

If this isn't the right answer... well... I have nu idea, lol.

• Cool 1

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

I followed the linked post above to the letter, which told to modify and put it into "res_mod/0.8.1.1/texts/ru/LC_MESSAGES/ " and not "en"

Going to try again with the "en" instead... will edit this post when done.

[EDIT :]

13 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Make sure you put it in the res_mod/0.8.1.1/texts/en/LC_MESSAGES/ folder.

It was the "en" vs "ru" thing.  Fixed and working. 
Thanks everyone for their help !