You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

PSA: Stay OUT of the cap for Defense ribbons

24 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,821 posts
24,479 battles

I am stunned that by T5-T8 people don't know this but over and over I am seeing people say in chat they are here for Defense ribbons and then watch them charge into a cap with a red in it and then complain in chat they aren't getting their Defense ribbons. Hello!!! You can't be in there blocking their cap progress if you want them.

I mean if you would rather cap or are just playing the game normal fine but if you want to speed up the mission by getting a lot of Defense ribbons you have to let the reds get into the cap and then shoot them to reset the cap progress and get the Defense ribbons. 

I honestly can't believe people don't know this by T5-T8??? Not trying to be a tool about it either. I am done (thanks Mogami LOL). Just amazed people don't know this so figure post up and educate/remind people.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 6
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles

I wasn't aware of it until relatively recently and I have been playing this game for near on a year and a half now, so your PSA is timely and helpful. 

Mind you, up until recently my goal had always been to deny the cap to the enemy, and either hitting him or entering it would do that, but once I realised that defence ribbons were an easy way through some missions ("Gain X capture or assist or defended ribbons"), and also a good source of base XP, it became much more important to mine them where I could.

Long and the short - YOU CANNOT COLLECT DEFENCE RIBBONS WHILE EVEN A SINGLE FRIENDLY SHIP (INCLUDING YOUR OWN) IS CONTESTING THE CAP BY ITS PRESENCE INSIDE.

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles

When I play in Coop, defense ribbon farming is what I always do, whether there is a mission or task for it or not as it usually pays off really well in exp. I always ask people to avoid going into the cap I am targeting for defense ribbons but of course not everyone will follow through with the request.

Edited by Lightninger

[WOLFG]
Members
9,575 posts
8,553 battles

Konigsberg vs. a US standard.  Multiple defense ribbons every 9 seconds.

Of course until some DD comes along and decides to deliver a load of fish.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,351 posts
23,919 battles

One more point about Defended ribbons:  In order to get subsequent ribbons, the red ship needs to be gaining capture points. This means that it needs to be uncontested and unmolested for 5-10 seconds.  If you are constantly firing faster than the red ship gets capture points, you will not get a defended ribbon.

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
12 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Konigsberg vs. a US standard.  Multiple defense ribbons every 9 seconds.

Of course until some DD comes along and decides to deliver a load of fish.

Another well delivered bit of info @AdmiralThunder; great unbias, to the point.

DrHolmes, as I believe as soon as the DD opens fire in Co-Op it will become the main focus for the bots, so why would it not use its torpedoes if it can? I am sure there is enough HP and ribbons for everyone?

[WOLFG]
Members
9,575 posts
8,553 battles
3 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Another well delivered bit of info @AdmiralThunder; great unbias, to the point.

DrHolmes, as I believe as soon as the DD opens fire in Co-Op it will become the main focus for the bots, so why would it not use its torpedoes if it can? I am sure there is enough HP and ribbons for everyone?

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek on the last part of that.

Farming defense ribbons is nice, delivering fish is a DDs job.

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

And my question was an honest one. I assume you were talking about Co-Op as when it comes to Randoms I don't really look at farming a great deal - just winning.

I'm also sure you play plenty of DD games so would know the pecking order in Co-Op - but I guess the subject is mute if you were having a joke. I guess I could make an equal joke about BBs entering the cap trying to hump the enemy to death because their HP pretty much allows them to get that close; but I didn't think Admiral's post deserved that. :Smile_honoring:

Edit: Apologies to AdmiralThunder

Edited by _WaveRider_

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,983 posts
14,243 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am stunned that by T5-T8 people don't know this but over and over I am seeing people say in chat they are here for Defense ribbons and then watch them charge into a cap with a red in it and then complain in chat they aren't getting their Defense ribbons. Hello!!! You can't be in there blocking their cap progress if you want them.

I mean if you would rather cap or are just playing the game normal fine but if you want to speed up the mission by getting a lot of Defense ribbons you have to let the reds get into the cap and then shoot them to reset the cap progress and get the Defense ribbons. 

I honestly can't believe people don't know this by T5-T8??? Not trying to be a tool about it either. I am done (thanks Mogami LOL). Just amazed people don't know this so figure post up and educate/remind people.

Ignorance is bliss, I would wager that 75% of the player base never goes to the forums....

[LUCK]
Members
1,945 posts

These are same people that:

- use their fingers to clean out the garbage disposal without shutting it off

- use a lighter to see the bottom of the gas can

(I'm guessing)

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,398 posts
15,819 battles

Well crap.... I did not know that either lol. 

I also rarely adjust my play when attempting to complete some task so... but still great PSA thanks for posting.

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

A DD can definitely farm defense ribbons. I do it all the time when I go to Coop. Go up to the edge of a cap and smoke when enemy ships are going through the cap.

[PHD]
Members
1,510 posts
6,439 battles

Just another bit of info you have to learn that is not spelled out. But WoWS does seem to be learn as you go.

Good to know though, thanks?

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
6,287 battles

Until you brought this to my attention I was just pleasantly surprised when I started getting them. Obviously the fault lies with my team mate who's sailed into the cap. I'll need to TK him first before resuming my collection of defense ribbons. Thx for the PSA and now - stay out of my cap!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,563 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 8:44 PM, Lightninger said:

A DD can definitely farm defense ribbons. I do it all the time when I go to Coop. Go up to the edge of a cap and smoke when enemy ships are going through the cap.

Yeah I do the same thing, much easier in a DD or a smoking cruiser to farm them than any other ship IMHO. 

[PVE]
Members
11,821 posts
24,479 battles
47 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah I do the same thing, much easier in a DD or a smoking cruiser to farm them than any other ship IMHO. 

Yes it is if you have smoke but I only have Kamikaze that qualified for this part in DD's so I just used 155MM Mogami and it took 2 games. Actually got more than needed.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,563 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yes it is if you have smoke but I only have Kamikaze that qualified for this part in DD's so I just used 155MM Mogami and it took 2 games. Actually got more than needed.

I actually finished my Fubuki grind during this event and got the Anasuckie or whatever it's name is. I really hate DDs, especially IJN ones but am looking to unlock the Kangaroo (sp ?) so I can put that Steampunk camo on her that I have had in inventory since a couple of Halloweens ago.. Using the Fubuki, the Ana-whatever, and my beloved Furry Taco, have finished the whole group of tasks. The hard one was getting floods. I got tons of torp hits but floods were a PITA. Finally mounted up the signal that gives a +15% flood chance and I got 8 floods in just two matches...That flag makes a big difference IMHO. 

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I actually finished my Fubuki grind during this event and got the Anasuckie or whatever it's name is. I really hate DDs, especially IJN ones but am looking to unlock the Kangaroo (sp ?) so I can put that Steampunk camo on her that I have had in inventory since a couple of Halloweens ago.. Using the Fubuki, the Ana-whatever, and my beloved Furry Taco, have finished the whole group of tasks. The hard one was getting floods. I got tons of torp hits but floods were a PITA. Finally mounted up the signal that gives a +15% flood chance and I got 8 floods in just two matches...That flag makes a big difference IMHO. 

Fubuki is awesome.  I did 8k base xp grind in COOP with it because I can usually kill 2-3 reds, with luck and a little support I can kill 4 reds.  Having 3 torp launchers with fast-ish reload is just too good.

Edited by ij70

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

I can't get domination games to even try and get defense ribbons.  I've been on over 10 hours today and gotten two domination games with legal ships.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

Need to educate the bots too. I took an Akizuki into a co-op game thinking I'd get a ton of easy defense ribbons, but friendly bots had other ideas.

There were 2 green battleship bots. One parked on the B cap and had a secondary duel with a red BB for 10 minutes, and the other did the same thing on the C cap. I got a single defense ribbon that game. :Smile_sad: