You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Ready Fight Friday - Dunkerque vs. Mutsu

22 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,571 posts
9,758 battles

Dunkerque_WG_SPB_WoWs_Screenshots_04_1920x1080.jpg.jpg WG_SPB_WoWs_Screenshot21_upd060_Mutsu_PREM_1920x1080.jpg.jpg

Which Tier VI battleship rules the seas: Dunkerque or Mutsu?

Dunkerque is the pride of Marine Nationale sporting 330mm main guns and good armor protection.

Mutsu enters the ring with formidable 410mm guns and a deadly surprise: torpedoes.

When heading into battle, will Dunkerque or Mutsu emerge victorious?

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu, Art of War

#readyfightfriday

#anchorsaweigh

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles

My money is on the Mutsu.  That Frenchie ship has a big nose and loves to take citadels.  And if memory serves, has 25mm bow and will eat pens when face-tanking from 410mm guns.

• Cool 1

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
582 posts
17,506 battles

Overmatch mechanics says hi.

A more evenly matched 1v1 would be Dunkerque vs PEF.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Yeah my vote would also be for the Mutsu as it was meant to be able to engage enemy Battleships and Dunkerque was really just the French response to the  Deutschland class “ Pocket Battleships” like the Graf Spee. Which for the French was understandable since they figured the Treaty of Versailles would have limited Germany to some coastal defense ships that could not be used offensively, and lol were they ever surprised by what the Germans managed to come up with. Ships that were close to treaty limits ( they were over treaty limits, were said to be within it, but of course they exceeded them.), could be used offensively, out gunned anything that could catch them, and outran anything that could out gun them at the time. So the French quickly designed and built the Dunkerque, which in such specialized ships there are often compromises made.

So in a 1 on 1 fight I definitely am going with the Mutsu.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,970 battles

I love all forward armament as much as the next guy, but I feel like Mutsu will be much more consistent. Plus 20 second reloading torp is just hilarious.

Dunkerque with her special camo wins the beauty contest though.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,022 posts
11,568 battles

I've citadeled Bismarck/Tirpitz in Mutsu, haven't in Dun - much as I like Dun's style think that sums it up. 

Edited by WanderingGhost
  • Cool 2

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,128 battles

Mutsu for sure. Neither has good armor but the snail hits harder. Dunkerque can put out more shells on a charging Mutsu, but as soon as the distance is closed the fight is over.

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,921 posts
19,012 battles

Have most of the tier 6 BBs, and the Mut and Dunk are two of the worst in my opinion. So, it is sorta like if two of the crappiest tier 6 BB battle - does it really matter who wins?  The Arizona or Warspite will just come along and clock the winner - so I say ramming is the right option (both win AND both lose).

• Cool 2

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,350 battles

Ok, I love Dunkerque and I think she's a great ship capable of taking anything in her tier.  With her all front big guns, she doesn't have to show any of her broadside to bring her full main battery to bear and the fast reload of her 13.4 inch guns means that a fresh salvo is never far away. 

That being said, my money is on the the Mutsu.  It's hard to argue with her 16 inch guns and those freaky little torpedo tubes can actually be effective.  She's nearly as fast a Dunkerque which means she can displace almost as well.  

It would be an interesting fight and Dunkerque is certainly capable of taking Mutsu down, but the edge goes to Mutsu. 

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,923 posts
7,996 battles

Mutsu would absolutely dominate in a fight against Dunkerque. Dunkerque is, unfortunately, a pretty weak ship in general, especially against something that can overmatch the heck out of it.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,983 posts
14,220 battles

Played a LOT of games in the Dunk, and it has its place, but overtime folks have figured out that she is an HP pinata.  Dunk needs to sit back and look for targets to burn up or opportune AP Broadside...a support BB.  Got Mutsu in Christmas crate and really like her....she beats the Dunk 1v1 .

• Cool 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,302 posts
9,235 battles

As the #1 Mutsu player and like, the #4 Dunkerque player on the server, I have to say that it’s not even a contest. Mutsu holds the overmatch advantage, a huge advantage in secondaries, and her drive by torpedos hurt a lot in certain areas. As long as Mutsu stays relatively angled, she is entirely immune to Dunkerque. I’m not sure why exactly you said Dunkerque has “good armor protection”, as she quite literally has the worst armor in her tier bracket.

I have brought up on numerous occaisions various changes which would help Dunkerque immensely in being more capable at tier VI in the world of overmatch, but seeing as I have consistently been ignored, and considering that apparently the developers divination stick pointed them to only a 2s reload buff being the optimal solution to her woes, I very much doubt we are on the same page.

Mutsu wins, period.

• Cool 1

Members
523 posts
On 3/8/2019 at 10:32 PM, WanderingGhost said:

I've citadeled Bismarck/Tirpitz in Mutsu, haven't in Dun - much as I like Dun's style think that sums it up. 

I did the same a few weeks ago. 

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,877 posts
17,913 battles

Mutsu.

Not only is overmatch in play, but all of Dunk's turrets are in front, making that the preferred engagement attitude.  On the flip side, those guns aren't that accurate...so RNG is a factor on getting a cit.  That said, it really boils down to the captain.  I'd put my money on the better captain.  

• Cool 1