You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadowfigment

Rental Ships - An Idea?

15 comments in this topic

[5IN]
[5IN]
Members
25 posts

Wargaming, I applaud your choice to let your players start renting ships in World of Warships. It is a good idea and one that I am happy to see. I would like to see you implement it a little differently. How about giving players rental ships for free after completion of random missions with completion of in game criteria? Perhaps you could also allow a 6 to 10 point rental captain with similar mission completion criteria? You could set the completion and rental time limit for three to five days on a random weekend and let players go wild, testing out whether they want to buy the ship or not. The rental captain would allow a player, without a proper captain, to see the potential of the ship ahead of time. After the allotted rental time, both the ship and captain would disappear. After this rental time, a player would be able to make an informed decision if they liked the ship enough to buy it.

If an announcement of the rental time was made one or two weeks ahead of time, in the web portal or in the game news notification, players could be ready to earn the requirements for the ship. This is my two cents. What do you all think of this idea?

P.S. I apologize if this idea has been shared in forum already.

[-K-]
Members
8,352 posts
14,149 battles

Is a $6 rental really going to break the bank?

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
21 minutes ago, Shadowfigment said:

Wargaming, I applaud your choice to let your players start renting ships in World of Warships. It is a good idea and one that I am happy to see. I would like to see you implement it a little differently. How about giving players rental ships for free after completion of random missions with completion of in game criteria? Perhaps you could also allow a 6 to 10 point rental captain with similar mission completion criteria? You could set the completion and rental time limit for three to five days on a random weekend and let players go wild, testing out whether they want to buy the ship or not. The rental captain would allow a player, without a proper captain, to see the potential of the ship ahead of time. After the allotted rental time, both the ship and captain would disappear. After this rental time, a player would be able to make an informed decision if they liked the ship enough to buy it.

If an announcement of the rental time was made one or two weeks ahead of time, in the web portal or in the game news notification, players could be ready to earn the requirements for the ship. This is my two cents. What do you all think of this idea?

P.S. I apologize if this idea has been shared in forum already.

I could see where this would work.

They could have a random rotation of free rental ships and then have other premiums people can rent in the shop/arsenal

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

for me, YES! If you want details as to why, send me a PM.

[ANK-A]
[ANK-A]
Beta Testers
48 posts
16,516 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

It would be nice if they give $6 discount from purchase price, if a user decides to purchase the ship, you know incentives work.

• Cool 2

[USCG]
Members
576 posts
19,969 battles
29 minutes ago, Pentium_ said:

It would be nice if they give $6 discount from purchase price, if a user decides to purchase the ship, you know incentives work.

I believe if you decide to buy the rental ship you do get your rental $ credited towards the purchase...

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,342 posts
19,563 battles

Where does the XP on the rental captain go after the rental period has expired, if you decide not to buy?

[A_51]
Members
961 posts

I don't see why WG doesn't make every currently available premium ship also available for rent, with the rental cost applied to the purchase price if you decide to buy it.  I think this would result in a significant increase in sales. 

[B808]
Members
1,315 posts
7,675 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

You can "rent" any tech tree ship for free simply by playing the PTS.

When did they offer tech tree ships for rent ? Rentals are premiums, no ?

[B808]
Members
1,315 posts
7,675 battles
Just now, Seaneroo said:

I don't see why WG doesn't make every currently available premium ship also available for rent, with the rental cost applied to the purchase price if you decide to buy it.  I think this would result in a significant increase in sales. 

Like that idea even better.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,878 posts
4,881 battles

i don't see any reason why not. they been doing this in world of tanks for ages now. But I never once saw it being in the premium shop like Wows has..... something is fishy

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
812 posts
3,470 battles
4 hours ago, Shadowfigment said:

Wargaming, I applaud your choice to let your players start renting ships in World of Warships. It is a good idea and one that I am happy to see. I would like to see you implement it a little differently. How about giving players rental ships for free after completion of random missions with completion of in game criteria?

If WG did this and I can almost guarantee they never will, the requirements for completion would probably be ludicrous, putting the free ship out of reach of most players.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[R_N]
[R_N]
Supertester
137 posts
9,153 battles

Fellow Captains,

Here is what you get for the RENTAL fee:

- Test drive of the rented ship for 7 days.

- Port slot which you keep.

- XP earned is transferred to the T1 CA of the rented ship's nation once the rental is up and you did not buy the ship.

- All Ship upgrades (Modification) added will be returned to your Inventory so they can be used on another ship if you did not buy the ship.

- Captain returned to the Reserve with all earned XP if you did not buy the ship.

In short the Rental fee covers the cost of a Port Slot and the cost to remove your upgrades to your inventory.

[5IN]
[5IN]
Members
25 posts
2 hours ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

If WG did this and I can almost guarantee they never will, the requirements for completion would probably be ludicrous, putting the free ship out of reach of most players.

The completion requirement do not have to be ludicrous. Making mission requirements reasonable would give interested players a sense of accomplishment for unlocking the rental. Also Wargamming could use these missions as a possible showcase for national tech trees, classes of ship or historical missions that involved certain nations. There are a lot of fun things that could happen with ship rentals. 

The current rental fee is not too steep for some, but out of reach for others. World of Warships is a free to play game first. Why not try making the rentals free for a period and use a similar method that Word of Tanks did? 

Just and idea.