You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Slattery

Soviet Tier 5 BB Armor profile video

22 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
27,146 posts
16,403 battles

Stalinium armor working as intended 

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,490 battles

One of the balancing shortcomings of RU BBs is the limited damage control. And yet with 8.1, flooding isn’t much worse than a fire.  Coincidence? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
4 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

One of the balancing shortcomings of RU BBs is the limited damage control. And yet with 8.1, flooding isn’t much worse than a fire.  Coincidence? :cap_hmm:

Considering how well that armor performs, is the damage control really that much of a balancer?  Her superstructure is small, her main deck is mostly HE proofed, citadel is immune to plunging fire and torps have been nerfed as you pointed out.  What's the real downside to this ship?  Does she even have a real downside?

[WOLFG]
Members
9,615 posts
8,595 battles

Several people that have tested the PV have noted that it might be slightly difficult to send back to port.

• Funny 2

[SIM]
Members
4,931 posts
8,010 battles

Wargaming’s level of plot loss and lack of self-awareness seem stalinium stronk, at times. Hopefully this foolishness doesn’t make it into the final tech tree. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles

Does it play the Soviet national anthem when the battle starts? You know to really hammer hone the greatness of the motherland.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
2 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Does it play the Soviet national anthem when the battle starts? You know to really hammer hone the greatness of the motherland.

I play this sometimes when I'm grinding the RU line.

• Funny 1

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,213 posts
9,850 battles

75 mm upper and 125 mm lower armor on the bow - the 75 mm part alone is OVER TWICE THE BOW ARMOR OF A TIER 10 BB..... :cap_fainting::cap_fainting:

Add to that, much of the deck armor is 38 mm, 31 knots with a speed flag and an 11 second rudder shift, etc, etc..... And then you have the accuracy....

Mejash has a review video out on this beast. His take on the "worse dispersion at range, better dispersion close up than other BB's", is that it's more like "normal BB dispersion past 12 km, cruiser accuracy under 12 km". He showed both a test in the training room, and one game he played.

The training room test, he lined up a group of Pensacolas broadside at various ranges. Shooting at one out past 12 km, he managed 2 or 3 hits and one citadel, what looked like typical Tier 5 BB dispersion. Shooting at one just past 9 km, every one of those shells went right between the stacks dead center, instadelete.

The game he showed, he was literally wiping the floor with everything in front of him. If a DD got close enough to be spotted, it was dead. And god help any cruiser or BB that gave him a hint of broadside within that 12 km boundary.

This thing could do a fair job of holding it's own at Tier 7, facing 8's and 9's. They could have made it a premium and made a crap-ton of money selling it as-is. But it's going to be the tech tree Tier 5, available to everyone, facing 6's and 7's, and rather disturbingly, relatively new players in Tier 4's. If left as is, this thing will end up being the KV-2 of WoWS.

As OTT as this thing is for Tier 5, I have to wonder if WG didn't send this beast out for testing in this ridiculous state deliberately, just to generate hype for the Russian BB line, a PR stunt, and already have plans for dialing it down a few notches. At least I'd hope so, since it's still WIP. Seriously, you're going to move the GC to Tier 6, because it's OP at Tier 5 - but then you're going to put THIS thing in as a tech tree ship at the same tier? That's what leaves me feeling this HAS to be a deliberate troll by WG, just to get people to grind a new line. Mejash made the comment in his vid, that this would be a 58% WR ship if left in it's current state and tier. Right now, I see little reason to dispute that claim.

• Cool 1

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,895 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Captain_Slattery said:

Have you seen this video yet?  What do you think about this WIP?

Same history at T4. If you think Nikolai was OP wait until you see the new version.

I think this a perfect time to listen to this.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,918 posts
11,596 battles

gotta give the Russians one thing, if this was the actual armor scheme plans of this ship IRL, they knew how to keep their ship protected

Edited by tcbaker777

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
23 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

gotta give the Russians one thing, if this was the actual armor scheme plans of this ship IRL, they knew how to keep their ship protected

Not really. Wrap around belts fell out of favor pretty quickly because you could use that extra weight to further protect machinery spaces or remove it to get a faster ship. In IRL both of these are tremendously more useful than protecting an anchor chain.

Beta Testers
188 posts
86 battles
3 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

There's a good reason that other nations didn't do that. It basically didn't improve the protection of the ship significantly, and it added a ton of weight.

How fortunate then, that this IRL terrible design decision just so happens to be the best possible armor scheme in game.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

It goes without saying that if they retain that kind of power, I will be playing nothing but the RU BB.  Until if/when they get nerfed, and even then... how they get nerfed.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,721 battles

I know I laughed my head off watching it bow tank 3 Yammies. That was hilarious.  And if that makes it to the game that way, then it should get a special MM that is Auto Fail Div to T10 matches where it belongs.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, Supertester
946 posts
13,353 battles

Well no competition at t5 with GC gong to six....

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles
4 minutes ago, _greifer said:

Well no competition at t5 with GC gong to six....

Da thats the plan comrade. Also the T6 Russian version of the GC with make the old t5 look like a piker i bet.