You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
772 posts
20,241 battles

Following the CV rework, destroyers became near obsolete.  With the nerf to gun bloom, the constant CV harassment, radar, and just about every other anti DD gimmick, I began looking for ways to keep my destroyers useful.  For the Shimakaze, I put an old hat on for work in a new meta, with a slight twist.  I armed my Shima with 20km torpedoes and then took every skill there was to decrease the reload time.  As a final feather in the cap, I threw in the legendary mod.  Torp reload, 136 seconds.  Essentially, I turned my Shima into an old school wall of skill.  This build requires a more passive play style, but it does work.  Pressing into a cap early will get you killed and or disable your torpedo tubes.  You must play the edge.

I scored numerous torpedo hits beyond 12km.  People just are not expecting it...so they eat them.

Just something for folks to consider as this CV rework and balancing act seesaws back and forth.

For someone really looking to be adventurous, I am sure the 20km set with the captain skill to increase speed by 5 knots may also be an interesting twist.  In my current configuration caught a lot of heavier ships napping.

Edited by Kongo_Pride

[HYDRO]
Members
2,215 posts
4,185 battles

Pretty interesting info,  I should keep that in mind when encountering Shimas.

Out of curiosity, did you keep a tally on your winrate with this playstyle?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,657 posts
17 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Following the CV rework, destroyers became near obsolete. 

Oh please, drama llama not needed. Far deadlier carriers existed prior to the update. Been cross-dropped by ONE carrier recently? No, didn't think so... 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,363 posts
47 battles

Shima 20km torps have horrible detection and lower speed and damage than the 12km torps. I tried using it a couple of times after the rework, and the slow speed coupled with the horrible detection gives enemies more time to dodge them even when launched at 10km from enemies.

[-K-]
Members
5,751 posts
9,793 battles

If you want 20km torps, why not just play Asashio?  At least those torps aren't spotted from the moon by enemy ships.

No offense, but the last type of Shimakaze player I want on my team is the one spamming long range torps 20km away from the nearest cap.

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
280 posts
9,438 battles

In fact, I use 20 km with torp acceleration, and albeit the spotting range, get a lot of strikes... those 15 torp rounds on bottlenecks at 15 kms pay well

Members
2,107 posts
10,673 battles
14 hours ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Following the CV rework, destroyers became near obsolete.  With the nerf to gun bloom, the constant CV harassment, radar, and just about every other anti DD gimmick, I began looking for ways to keep my destroyers useful.  For the Shimakaze, I put an old hat on for work in a new meta, with a slight twist.  I armed my Shima with 20km torpedoes and then took every skill there was to decrease the reload time.  As a final feather in the cap, I threw in the legendary mod.  Torp reload, 136 seconds.  Essentially, I turned my Shima into an old school wall of skill.  This build requires a more passive play style, but it does work.  Pressing into a cap early will get you killed and or disable your torpedo tubes.  You must play the edge.

I scored numerous torpedo hits beyond 12km.  People just are not expecting it...so they eat them.

Just something for folks to consider as this CV rework and balancing act seesaws back and forth.

For someone really looking to be adventurous, I am sure the 20km set with the captain skill to increase speed by 5 knots may also be an interesting twist.  In my current configuration caught a lot of heavier ships napping.

I have been running LU with 12km torps to good effect.  I cannot bring myself to run the 20km, just too visible for my liking.

Instead I have been playing around with my positioning when I am likely to be harassed by the red CV by keeping a couple AA ships inside or near my concealment circle on the mini map.  It works pretty well that the CV trys to hit me, but then loses his squad as it flies into AA ships AA on the re attack.  It ends up being time prohibitive to keep focusing a DD that is positioned in this manner down IME.  I have even been playing with gunboat TRB builds on most of the IJN torp line to see how far I can push this for randoms.  Its been working out so far.

Members
87 posts
1,803 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 6:44 AM, Kongo_Pride said:

So what do you do in the 2 min. Of  that painful torp reload time?

You might as well play the asashio with torpedo acceleration. 

Edited by Pyun

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,107 posts
4,337 battles

Okay it's neat that you're having fun with a new build, but aren't you forgetting that carriers now basically have to trip over destroyers to spot them? To the point that their rocket squadrons can't reliably line up attacks on destroyers unless another player is spotting for them? Doesn't sound like destroyers are "basically obsolete" to me.

[SYN]
Members
627 posts
7,200 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 6:44 AM, Kongo_Pride said:

20km torpedoes 

Hey, I took 20km torpedoes into battle for the first time ever last week. They worked ok. I too often get those maps with poor angles on red spawn. I also don't get to sink as many with 20km torpedoes. 

What I have found this week is that F3s are viable again. Radar ships and spotting DDs are fewer.

Yesterday I got some BBs bow tanking back of the cap. No cruiser and no DDs in area meant I could close to 7 km on broadside ships and wreck them. 

• Cool 1

Members
10 posts
1,586 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Hey, I took 20km torpedoes into battle for the first time ever last week. They worked ok. I too often get those maps with poor angles on red spawn. I also don't get to sink as many with 20km torpedoes. 

What I have found this week is that F3s are viable again. Radar ships and spotting DDs are fewer.

Yesterday I got some BBs bow tanking back of the cap. No cruiser and no DDs in area meant I could close to 7 km on broadside ships and wreck them. 

Oh man... the absolute best.  No Radar in sight, no DD spotting, can line up torps so wonderfully.  Ahhhhhh when the dream becomes reality

[HEROS]
Members
1,786 posts
5,667 battles
On 3/12/2019 at 1:07 AM, Pyun said:

So what do you do in the 2 min. Of  that painful torp reload time?

You might as well play the asashio with torpedo acceleration. 

it's more than 2 minutes. you can catch up on battle trollin, uh, I mean chat, facebook, twitter, make a few calls, pay some bills, use the bathroom, take a short shower, possibly check the minimap and see if any red ships are detected, move 10 km or so, and then go back to it if you haven't been detected.

so, there's always something to do.