You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKiwi_2016

Warspite's days numbered?

76 comments in this topic

Members
523 posts

I've seen quite a few threads regarding the T6 Guilio Cesare that is currently in testing, some say she's good, others say she's doomed. But if she is better at T6, would she take the crown away from Warspite? Warspite is the ship I am most comfortable with at T6, and I don't like the idea of a former T5 coming in and stealing the show. Warspite has been around way longer than Guilio Cesare, and its not fair for her to be overthrown by a ship that doesn't belong at T6 in the first place. 

Edited by CaptainKiwi_2016
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Nah. IMO, Warspite is better - if more difficult to use - than Giulio. Her guns can still hurt tier 8s, she's more robustly armored, possesses MUCH better secondaries, offers better AA, and features a spotter. The range does suck, of course, and the turret traverse is painful, but she's the superior ship.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 2

Members
523 posts
6 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Nah. IMO, Warspite is better - if more difficult to use - than Giulio. Her guns can still hurt tier 8s, she's more robustly armored, has better AA, and features a spotter. The range does suck, of course, and the turret traverse is painful, but she's the superior ship.

AFAIK, IRL, Warspite (Along with her sisters) was the most powerful dreadnought afloat at that time (Not counting the unfinished Bayerns) Guilio Cesare is armed with 12" guns, same as those on the German Konig Class Dreadnoughts, and from what I heard, they struggled to pen the Warspite with those guns at Jutland. 

Warspite's turret traverse was buffed shortly before the RN DD event, because all my clan mates were telling me that the ship's turrets perform better now that they originally did. 

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
Just now, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

AFAIK, IRL, Warspite (Along with her sisters) was the most powerful dreadnought afloat at that time (Not counting the unfinished Bayerns) Guilio Cesare is armed with 12" guns, same as those on the German Konig Class Dreadnoughts, and from what I heard, they struggled to pen the Warspite with those guns at Jutland. 

Warspite wasn't quite in a near-sinking state when she retired from the fray at Jutland, but she was pretty significantly damaged. The German guns were light, but they were also accurate, and their AP shell didn't shatter like the British one had a tendency to do.

The anti flash protection in the Royal Navy wasn't rectified across the board until after Jutland, so one wrong move and, yes, Warspite or any of her sisters might have been blown to pieces. They were, however, definitely the best ships of the war, really not eclipsed until Nagato launched.

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

Warspite gets overmatch and dat heal and GC won't.

Edit to avoid double post:

12 minutes ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

Guilio Cesare is armed with 12" guns, same as those on the German Konig Class Dreadnoughts

That's not quite true.

GC in Game has 12.3 inch guns while Konig has 12. GC's are also significantly more punchy (which is part of the reason this whole thing is happening).

GC was originally quite similar to Konig class, but is quite different in game.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News
  • Cool 1

Members
523 posts
6 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Warspite wasn't quite in a near-sinking state when she retired from the fray at Jutland, but she was pretty significantly damaged. The German guns were light, but they were also accurate, and their AP shell didn't shatter like the British one had a tendency to do.

The anti flash protection in the Royal Navy wasn't rectified across the board until after Jutland, so one wrong move and, yes, Warspite or any of her sisters might have been blown to pieces. They were, however, definitely the best ships of the war, really not eclipsed until Nagato launched.

The Nagato Class changed the meta altogether, those dreadnoughts were INSANE! And I just so happen to own both of them in WoWS. XD 

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,900 posts
4,598 battles
22 minutes ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

I've seen quite a few threads regarding the T6 Guilio Cesare that is currently in testing, some say she's good, others say she's doomed. But if she is better at T6, would she take the crown away from Warspite? Warspite is the ship I am most comfortable with at T6, and I don't like the idea of a former T5 coming in and stealing the show. Warspite has been around way longer than Guilio Cesare, and its not fair for her to be overthrown by a ship that doesn't belong at T6 in the first place. 

No, it’s all ships that are considered to be over performing that are doomed. Warspite will be fine, it’s those premiums that aren’t like a Kutuzov, but stray really close to being over performing that will get touched first and then obviously premiums like Kutuzov. 

Members
523 posts
1 minute ago, landedkiller said:

No, it’s all ships that are considered to be over performing that are doomed. Warspite will be fine, it’s those premiums that aren’t like a Kutuzov, but stray really close to being over performing that will get touched first and then obviously premiums like Kutuzov. 

+1 

Warspite is a wonderful vessel. Not under or overpowered, but balanced just right for a T6. I still don't see GC surviving at Tier 6 where she will face the Grand Old Lady, Japan's 16" 26 knot Torpedo Spewing Machine, and heaven forbid, the kings of T8, namely Amagi and North Carolina. I've seen Warspite being able to hold her own against these ships (I've done it with Mutsu), but I can't see Guilio Cesare standing up to them. 

• Cool 1

Members
523 posts
1 minute ago, Flashtirade said:

Warspite is also the most accurate T6 BB, and she can also pull of a decent secondary build.

Don't get me started on those secondaries. I prefer using the auto secondaries, because their long range allows them to act as an alarm system to warn of any nasties that are getting to close. Many DDs have failed to get close to me because those secondaries just melt them like marshmallow! I've even taken out my fair share of Cruisers and Battleships with her Secondaries. 

0 posts

If Ceaser wants to try for a coup d'etat, then the Queen needs to marshall her guards.

• Cool 1

Members
523 posts
Just now, LoveBote said:

If Ceaser wants to try for a coup d'etat, then the Queen needs to marshall her guards.

I believe those would be Mutsu, Arizona, Bayern, Queen Elizabeth, Dunkerque, and WV 41, XD

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,631 battles

I would still rather play the Warspite than a T6 GC.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
485 posts
4,587 battles

Warspite is one of the longer serving premiums.  And she still spanks newcomers with regularity.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles

My feeling is Caesar will still be a good BB in Tier VI but the competition among Tier VI BBs is actually very good and not like the cr*pfest that is Tier V Battleships.

IMO, Tier VI is the first tier where BB strengths start being pronounced.  There is no shortage of same-tier BB competition:  Fuso, Arizona, Warspite are the traditional power houses.  Bayern isn't to be trifled with the closer you get and New Mexico, despite having inaccurate guns, has outstanding AP shells with high pen.  Normandie is blazing fast and has a decent set of guns.

The competition in Tier VI BBs is fierce.  Then there's contending with VII & VIII ships.

If Caesar's speed and stealth still translate into Tier VI then in a non-CV match she'll be fine.  Her speed and concealment let her dictate her engagements in Tier V, even when uptiered into VII matches.  She can do the same as a Tier VI.  Her players simply need to be smarter.  The competition at VI+ have better guns than the cr*pfest that is New York and other BBs in Tier V that can't hit sh*t.

As for Warspite?  If the Warspite user knows how to aim with those somewhat floaty shells, watch out.  She's maneuverable and has a special heal.  She's even accurate without ASM1 loaded.  In Tier VI Ranked, Warspite, Fuso, Arizona beat respect out of the competition because of their gunnery, so Warspite's accuracy and 381mm Overmatching AP has to be accounted for.

In Ranked, if Warspite users were picking off dancing La Gals, Budyonnys, Molotovs at long range, a BB-sized target isn't a problem.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,312 battles

The Warspite needs a range buff

[WOLF3]
Members
27,010 posts
23,803 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

The Warspite needs a range buff

She's fine.  She has the same range as Arizona and New Mexico.

Members
143 posts
2,610 battles

Well. It depends. As where GC stands now, the winner is ofc, the grand old lady. However, if WG decides that the GC is a bit underpowered for tier 6 and decides to buff her, we will see...

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,731 posts
14,312 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She's fine.  She has the same range as Arizona and New Mexico.

16.3 for the Warspite vs 18.6 for the Arizona is not exactly the same range

Members
523 posts
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

My feeling is Caesar will still be a good BB in Tier VI but the competition among Tier VI BBs is actually very good and not like the cr*pfest that is Tier V Battleships.

IMO, Tier VI is the first tier where BB strengths start being pronounced.  There is no shortage of same-tier BB competition:  Fuso, Arizona, Warspite are the traditional power houses.  Bayern isn't to be trifled with the closer you get and New Mexico, despite having inaccurate guns, has outstanding AP shells with high pen.  Normandie is blazing fast and has a decent set of guns.

The competition in Tier VI BBs is fierce.  Then there's contending with VII & VIII ships.

If Caesar's speed and stealth still translate into Tier VI then in a non-CV match she'll be fine.  Her speed and concealment let her dictate her engagements in Tier V, even when uptiered into VII matches.  She can do the same as a Tier VI.  Her players simply need to be smarter.  The competition at VI+ have better guns than the cr*pfest that is New York and other BBs in Tier V that can't hit sh*t.

As for Warspite?  If the Warspite user knows how to aim with those somewhat floaty shells, watch out.  She's maneuverable and has a special heal.  She's even accurate without ASM1 loaded.  In Tier VI Ranked, Warspite, Fuso, Arizona beat respect out of the competition because of their gunnery, so Warspite's accuracy and 381mm Overmatching AP has to be accounted for.

In Ranked, if Warspite users were picking off dancing La Gals, Budyonnys, Molotovs at long range, a BB-sized target isn't a problem.

I was never particularly fond of any T5 BB tbh. New York, Kongo, Okt Rev, Iron Duke, and Konig didn't perform as good as I thought. Texas I have mixed feelings about. I never owned Guilio Cesare (Though I wish I did) because I don't have funds to buy any in-game content. I'm a college student with no income. Hopefully my clanmates can provide me with the new T6 version if WG goes through with it. 

Members
3,727 posts
3 hours ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

Warspite is way better than Guilio Cesare. It's one of the reasons people are skeptical of a tier 6 GC.

Members
523 posts
3 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

Yes Warpite's days are numbered...

Balance-is-the-key-to-life.jpg

Wait is that the new Russian T5? Looks interesting. 

Update: I just watched the video, HOLY COW, a true "Gremlin Battleship" in the making!