You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Wichita not a bad ship for co-op!

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,476 posts

Had a nice game just now with Wichita.   I took it out, because I needed only 2 fires to finish that mission- I got 6.   Also 91.6k damage- and it would have been more, if our DD hadn't charged B and brought the entire bot team down on us.   It was still fun hammering away at them until my health ran out, lol.    I'm starting to really like this ship!

Just sign me:  "A sucker for US heavy cruisers"

2018143315_WorldofWarships3_7_201910_07_02PM.thumb.png.eb5120925054ebf6e247e7913f4e2f3c.png

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles

The Powers That be say this ship was designed for fans of the old T8 New Orleans. How do you think this claim holds up? 

(I'm not interested in buying Wichita because I already have a T8+ premium US CA in Salem, but I am asking out of interest.)

Members
1,935 posts
9,155 battles

I looked at it... but $50 is awfully steep for a cruiser and T8 mm is horrible. My Mass still sees some action, but these days I'm playing either tier 7 or tier 9. 

[PVE]
Members
11,838 posts
24,524 battles
9 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Had a nice game just now with Wichita.   I took it out, because I needed only 2 fires to finish that mission- I got 6.   Also 91.6k damage- and it would have been more, if our DD hadn't charged B and brought the entire bot team down on us.   It was still fun hammering away at them until my health ran out, lol.    I'm starting to really like this ship!

Just sign me:  "A sucker for US heavy cruisers"

2018143315_WorldofWarships3_7_201910_07_02PM.thumb.png.eb5120925054ebf6e247e7913f4e2f3c.png

Nice game. Yes, it is fun in Co-op. I bought it as well and don't regret it. Fun ship and another Premium to farm stuff with/train Capt's on.

39 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Powers That be say this ship was designed for fans of the old T8 New Orleans. How do you think this claim holds up? 

(I'm not interested in buying Wichita because I already have a T8+ premium US CA in Salem, but I am asking out of interest.)

Wichita uses the same AP ammo as NO (MK19) even though it has the Baltimore's guns. HE is the same between them all.

New Orleans:

• Guns - 203MM/55 Mk14
  • AP - Mk19 * 4600 * 853 m/s

Baltimore:

• Guns - 203MM/55 Mk15
  • AP - Mk21 * 5000 * 792 m/s

Wichita:

• Guns - 203MM/55 Mk14
  • AP - Mk19 * 4600 * 853 m/s

I believe when NO and Baltimore were dropped a tier at the split they kept their guns and ammo options with NO taking the older AP that had a higher velocity but less damage with it to T7 and Baltimore was still able to shoot the upgraded slower but more punishing AP at T8.

Wichita looks like Baltimore, handles like Baltimore, but has the guns of NO. 

Members
1,935 posts
9,155 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Wichita looks like Baltimore, handles like Baltimore, but has the guns of NO. 

Typical of many premiums they're putting out these days. It is really a tier 7.5 ship, that sees tier 10. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,476 posts

I don't play much tier 8 either,  but will be starting the Mogami grind soon, so...

I WAS a fan of the old New Orleans- and a bigger fan of the new one.  Wichita plays like a US CA- albeit a slightly stealthier and nimble one- so it fits right in in my port.  I haven't really noticed any huge difference in AP performance between it and Balti- it's there, but Wichita's guns are plenty powerful enough to do what is necessary.   If anything, the slightly faster shells make hitting a tiny bit easier (slightly less floaty)- which is always a plus, lol.   If it's not melting from AP salvos, I just switch to HE anyhow.

I did notice that it was irritatingly difficult to land a major blow on Benson last night- but that's just Benson, with a bot at the helm, lol!   It's fast and maneuverable,  which requires a silly amount of lead with US guns- and his allies kept taking pot shots at me, the stinkers.  (So I focused on kicking their a$$es, first!)

As a side note, I think I actually like the new, improved Shards map.   Heading to B isn't a death wish any longer, and it doesn't feel like 3 separate maps in one as much as the old one did.   It was both far to easy to run into the entire enemy team at once, AND to put yourself totally out of the fight for long periods of time.  (and THOSE parts always seemed to be magnets for players...)

I was just zooming around, smacking reds in the mouth- them popping behind an island when they looked my way, and opening fire on something else.  Rinse, repeat.  At one point, I had 4 of them chasing me around the map, lol.   The firing angles on Wichita are pretty nice- I never felt like I was showing too much to get the front turrets on target whilst kiting away.  They killed me with accumulated damage- not citadels.  Plus, it's rather agile for a tier 8 CA, so that helped, too.

In other words, how to be an obnoxious pest 101.

Maybe you'll get lucky Ensign_C- and pull one out of a crate!

Members
1,935 posts
9,155 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, Fletcher7_1944 said:

As a side note, I think I actually like the new, improved Shards map.   Heading to B isn't a death wish any longer, and it doesn't feel like 3 separate maps in one as much as the old one did.

The new shards may become my favorite co-op map. Playing the center always pulls the bots in and now you're not a sitting duck for bot focus fire while doing it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 8:11 PM, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Maybe you'll get lucky Ensign_C- and pull one out of a crate!

Heh. With the exception of tech-tree early unlocks (T5 and T6 FR BB and UK DD), I have yet to win a crate ship. I'm sure the Huang He and Krasny Krym are well ahead in the line to be first contender when that finally happens. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF9]
Members
4,476 posts
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Heh. With the exception of tech-tree early unlocks (T5 and T6 FR BB and UK DD), I have yet to win a crate ship. I'm sure the Huang He and Krasny Krym are well ahead in the line to be first contender when that finally happens. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah, I got tired of trying to do the Exeter grind- with no enemy CV's- so I went and bought that ginormous bundle of flags, that also happened to include the Exeter.

I needed the flags badly.

The ship?  Meh is putting it kindly.   If the rest of the RN CA line is like this- it's a hard pass from me.   No wonder the RN chose to spend their money building light cruisers if this is what they got for a CA...   Low, low, LOW DPM- and paper armor that makes it extremely perilous to get close enough to ensure any torp hits.   The guns aren't good enough to stay at range, either.  Furutaka has essentially the same offensive setup- and is orders of magnitude more effective.   I'll stick with American and Japanese for heavy cruisers, thankyouverymuch.  German, if I want something different.   I think the Devs went rogue when they tried to come up with an individual schtick for the RN's, lol.

Huang He is a surprisingly fun and effective little ship.  Mine sat in port forever before I ever took it out, due to all the bad reviews.   When I DID play it, It was like " "Hey- I kinda like this!"  Once I got a handle on how to play it, I liked it even more.   It's just an oddball, and probably not a good fit for the Random meta.

Members
1,935 posts
9,155 battles
On 3/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Yeah, I got tired of trying to do the Exeter grind- with no enemy CV's- so I went and bought that ginormous bundle of flags, that also happened to include the Exeter.

I needed the flags badly.

The ship?  Meh is putting it kindly.   If the rest of the RN CA line is like this- it's a hard pass from me.

There likely won't be a RN CA line. York class were the last ones built. The preceding County class had 8 guns but no armor which, IMO, would be overkill at tier 4... so EX is likely the only one we will ever see. 

Really I think it is better for co-op than Furutaka, all the IJN CAs are floating citadels and easy meat for bots with their godlike aim... which is why I don't play the line. 

Members
1,935 posts
9,155 battles

Wife wanted to get me something for my b-day, so I picked up Wichita. 

Surprised at how quick that rudder shift is. I took steering gears mod 3 instead of concealment mod b/c the commander I have for her already has concealment expert, and that gets detection range down to like 11km, which is good enough for me. If something is that close I'm going to be firing at it anyways. 

With steering 3 by itself rudder shift drops to under 4 seconds. I've got DDs that don't snap as quickly. So I mounted damage control mod 2 to help fight those pesky fires bots are always setting. With no heal preserving HP is very important. 

My only gripe with the ship is that she seems to draw a large amount of bot attention... as soon as the cowardly DDs smoke up its everybody shoot Wichita time!

[WOLF9]
Members
4,476 posts

Yeah- Wichita seems to either get ALL the attention, or none of it...   Sometimes you can use that to your advantage, like I did, and kill and maim lots of bots.   Between the agility of the ship, and the conveniently located islands on that map, I was mostly able to minimize the amount of damage I took.  Either by dodging, or ducking behind an island.    I also got the fairly dumb ones that match- they followed me around in a conga line, instead of swarming from all sides, lol.

I gotta say, really good agility in a CA is an interesting and fun quirk.  Esp when you also get guns like that!

Tbh, the mediochre reception Wichita gets has everything to do with the to-do over GC; and Wichita being decidedly OP in one of it's earlier forms in testing- and very little about the ship itself.   That, and for some odd reason lots of players don't like US CA's...  (they do seem a tad better suited to the Co-op and ops meta than the stay at range Random meta, too.)   Beats me- I love em!