You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tactical_Mentat

Correlation between Captain XP and Ship XP

26 comments in this topic

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles

I've been playing this game since CBT and with over 13k games in random alone, I'm still a little unclear about an aspect of Ship XP.  This has been a hard question to research, there actually isn't a thread directly about it that I could find.

I understand that Ship XP is calculated 1:1 with Captain XP, but all of the buffs say Captain XP.  None of them are for Ship XP nor do any say Captain & Ship XP...

This makes me wonder if; as they say, those items will only buff your Captain XP?

I suppose what I'm trying to ask in a long winded way is:

If I boost my Captain XP per round with signals and cammo am I also boosting my Ship XP per round?

Please, no guesses or conjecture... It doesn't help anyone when others reply with "what they think" is the case, in fact it usually leads the thread away from the topic. You either know or you don't.

• Meh 2

[SVG]
Members
1,912 posts
7,781 battles

There are no "ship XP" specific bonuses.  These are just called "XP" bonuses, because both Captain XP and Free XP are calculated after base XP modifiers.

Let me present a few scenarios:

Base XP: 100%, + Signal flag "+50% XP" = 150%.  This is where ship XP stops, and is recorded.

Captain XP: (BaseXP, 150% in this case) multiplied by the sum of modifiers - so a +100% Captain XP camo would give you 300% total instead of 200%.  Free XP works the same way, but obviously only with Free XP modifiers.  

Neither Captain XP nor Free XP modifiers alter your Base XP in any way.

Edited by GE_Capital
  • Confused 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,633 battles

Ship Xp is captain's xp 1 to 1 ratio.

You can have a ton of modifiers to XP and you will get the same in captains XP, BUT, when you apply modifiers to captains xp, they are calculated off of base xp, then  added to the Ships xp for a final result. 

Free xp is based off of the cumulative ship xp including modifiers, not base xp.

Members
3,097 posts
12,266 battles
16 minutes ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

I suppose what I'm trying to ask in a long winded way is:

If I boost my Captain XP per round with signals and cammo am I also boosting my Ship XP per round?

Please, no guesses or conjecture... It doesn't help anyone when others reply with "what they think" is the case, in fact it usually leads the thread away from the topic. You either know or you don't.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economics

The answer to your question is "NO".  Modifiers specific to Commander Experience are not present in the Ship Experience formula, and are only used in Commander Experience calculation per Economics article above. 

Edited by Ramsalot
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
19 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

The answer to your question is "NO".  Modifiers specific to Commander Experience are not present in the Ship Experience formula, and are only used in Commander Experience calculation per Economics article above. 

THIS^

This takes you straight to XP and the formulas.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Experience

• Cool 1

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,587 posts
19,583 battles
2 hours ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

None of them are for Ship XP nor do any say Captain & Ship XP..

Yes they do say either XP or Captain XP or both. (XP is Ship XP) Also many camos which work the same way.

list.JPG

list1.JPG

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles

Commander experience has no correlation with ship experience but there is the indirect correlation that the more training the captain has the better the ship can perform which increases ship experience.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Supertester
1,218 posts
11,144 battles

At least you've come to ask help about something now.

Any other topics that you would like answers for?

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,587 posts
19,583 battles
3 hours ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

No ...it's the other way round.

file2.JPG

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles
On 3/7/2019 at 1:28 PM, GE_Capital said:

There are no "ship XP" specific bonuses.  These are just called "XP" bonuses, because both Captain XP and Free XP are calculated after base XP modifiers.

Let me present a few scenarios:

Base XP: 100%, + Signal flag "+50% XP" = 150%.  This is where ship XP stops, and is recorded.

Captain XP: (BaseXP, 150% in this case) multiplied by the sum of modifiers - so a +100% Captain XP camo would give you 300% total instead of 200%.  Free XP works the same way, but obviously only with Free XP modifiers.  

Neither Captain XP nor Free XP modifiers alter your Base XP in any way.

Yeaaah... you didn't read the OP...  you just rattled on about a different subject mate....  It goes completely without saying to even the newest of players that you cannot modify Base XP...  That's why its called BASE XP.

• Meh 3

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles
On 3/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, Sweetsie said:

Ship Xp is captain's xp 1 to 1 ratio.

You can have a ton of modifiers to XP and you will get the same in captains XP, BUT, when you apply modifiers to captains xp, they are calculated off of base xp, then  added to the Ships xp for a final result. 

Free xp is based off of the cumulative ship xp including modifiers, not base xp.

Oook... another person that did not read the OP... wow folks...

• Meh 4

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles
On 3/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, GandalfTehGray said:

At least you've come to ask help about something now.

Any other topics that you would like answers for?

What???  just a random bunch of words in a string about XP...  Way to contribute to the solution!  wth??

• Meh 2

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles
On 3/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, SgtSpud said:

No ...it's the other way round.

file2.JPG

There are no ship XP bonuses... what is this talking about ship XP bonuses???  If you dont know dont answer...

• Meh 2

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles
7 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I begin to see how some people got negative ratings

I think some people just post to post... like they want their post count to go up but they dont have anything to add to the conversation.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLFG]
Members
9,599 posts
8,569 battles
Just now, RaunchyDogWind said:

I think some people just post to post... like they want their post count to go up but they dont have anything to add to the conversation.

I think at 10X my number of games, you probably should know how XP works.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Supertester
1,218 posts
11,144 battles
44 minutes ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

For me all the posts above mine covered the topic well enough that it didn't require further input. But if you have played 14k battles and have questions about how the XP system works I assume there are a ton of other things you don't understand and could use help on. Your new responses to all the information you received however tells me that it's most likely wasted time. 

• Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,633 battles
1 hour ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

Oook... another person that did not read the OP... wow folks...

-32 and counting

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,771 posts
4,631 battles
On 3/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, RaunchyDogWind said:

I understand that Ship XP is calculated 1:1 with Captain XP

Then you understand incorrectly. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

On 3/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, RaunchyDogWind said:

No.  Ship XP (usually just 'XP') is a component of Commander XP (CXP), not vice versa.  Boosting XP boosts both.  Boosting CXP only boosts CXP.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,771 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

There are no ship XP bonuses... what is this talking about ship XP bonuses???  If you dont know dont answer...

'XP' IS ship XP.  You're hung up on the word 'ship'.  'Ship' is used only when making a point that it is different from other types of XP, such as Commander XP.

A word of advice:  If you're not getting something, entertain the possibility that your assumptions are wrong.

And try not to be a richard.

Edited by iDuckman

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
5 hours ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

sooo what are you adding to the string?  Youre just being a troll as far as I can tell.

Ok, let's calm down and suss out the XP formulas.

The link I posted above takes you to the wiki on XP. Here it is again http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Experience

A better way to lay out the types of Ship XP would probably be Base XP first, then Ship XP and then Elite (ship) XP.

Base XP (BXP) is what you get for doing things in the game with your ship. Capping, doing damage, spotting damage, kills, etc. The only way you can increase this is doing more in game.

Ship XP (XP) is what shows after your premium time, flags, camo, first win bonuses, event bonuses, etc are taken into account. It is what you use to grind your ship.

Elite (ship) XP (ESXP) is the same as Ship XP, it is just earned on a ship that is Elite, fully ground out, or a premium ship and can not be used for grinding, unless it is converted to Free XP with doubloons. Note that event ships such as the Halloween and Space battles ships, are kind of a temporary premium ship for the special temp 19pt Cmdrs that come with those ships.

Cmdr XP (CXP/CmdrXP) is based off of the bonuses of ship XP and Cmdr XP and is used to grind Commanders. If a Cmdr is at 19pts, then this Cmdr XP is converted into Elite Cmdr XP (ECXP). ECXP is like FXP, in that it can be used on any Cmdr.

Free XP (FXP) is a bonus XP based on the Ship XP you earn in game. It can be modified by flags, camos, events, etc and can be used in place of XP or Cmdr XP.

Now that we have all the definitions out of the way for the newer players that may not know them, let's break them down. Note: Tech tree ships and especially premium ships can have coefficients that can affect any of the XP and/or credits. These coefficients are hidden and not released by WG as they are proprietary. So if you do the calculations for a game you have, it very well will be slightly different than these formulas show. NOTE, Co-op has coefficients to lower the base XP, base Credits and service costs when playing in that mode. These are not released either, except that the service cost is lowered by 25% in the background.

Say you play in a PvP match with a T7 and earn 1,100 base XP. This is the XP on the Team screen (2nd) of the results screens and is the one on the left of the XP screen (4th) of the results screens for when premium time is not factored in. So your base XP is used to calculate your ship XP (or ESXP if it is an Elite ship or a premium ship) and your Cmdr XP. 

So, let's say you are running WG premium time (1.5 XP bonus), have an Equal Speed Charlie London (+50% XP) signal, Zulu Hotel (+50% Cmdr XP) signal, Papa Papa (+300% FXP) signal, Leviathan (+20% credits, +50% XP, +100% CmdrXP, +200% FXP) signal, Blue Lagoon camo (-10% service cost, +10% credits, +75% XP, +50% CmdrXP), have a -5% service cost Clan bonus, +2% Clan XP bonus, +6% Clan CmdrXP bonus, +15% Clan FXP bonus, you completed the part of the Daily Chain that give 1,000 XP, and it is the first win for this ship and the first win bonus is 200%.

So your XP (ship) bonuses are in order; +50% (ESCL flag), +50% (Lev flag), +75% (camo), +2% (Clan), and +200% (1st win)

Your Cmdr XP bonuses are in order; +50% (ZH flag), +100% (Lev flag), +50% (camo), +6% (Clan), and you also add in the ship bonuses above.

Your FXP XP bonuses are in order; +300% (PP flag), +200% (Lev flag), and +15% (Clan)

Your credit bonuses are in order; +20% (Lev flag) and +10% (camo).

Your service cost discounts are in order; -10% (camo), -5% (clan)

The formula for XP (ship) is XP = {base XP} x {account type} x (1 + (the sum of all the bonuses to XP)) + {direct award of XP from missions} so...

XP = 1100 x 1.5 x (1 + (0.5 + 0.5 + 0.75 + 0.02 + 2)) + 1000

XP = 1100 x 1.5 x (1 + 3.77) + 1000

XP = 1100 x 1.5 x 4.77 + 1000

XP = 7,870.5 + 1000

XP = 8,870.5 which will most likely be rounded up to 8,871 XP for the results screen. This is also the final XP in the FXP formula below.

The formula for Cmdr XP is Cmdr XP = {base XP} x {account type} x (1 + (the sum of all the bonuses to XP) + (the sum of all the bonuses to Cmdr XP)) + {direct award of Cmdr XP from missions} so...

CmdrXP = 1100 x 1.5 x (1 + (0.5 + 0.5 + 0.75 + 0.02 + 2) + (0.5 + 1 + 0.5 + 0.06)) 

CmdrXP = 1100 x 1.5 x (1 + 3.77 + 2.06)

CmdrXP = 1100 x 1.5 x 6.83 

CmdrXP = 11,269.5 which will most likely be rounded up to 12,270 Cmdr XP for the results screen.

The formula for FXP is  FXP = {final XP} x 0.05 x (1 + (sum of FXP bonuses)) + {direct award of FXP from missions} so...

FXP = 8870.5 x 0.05 x (1 + (3 + 3 + 0.15))

FXP = 8870.5 x 0.05 x (1 + 6.15)

FXP = 8870.5 x 0.05 x 7.15

FXP = 3,171.2 which will most likely be rounded down to 3,171 FXP

Base credits are like the base XP which means you get it for doing things in a match and can only increase it by doing better in the match. Lets say it was 100,000 as an example.

The formula for Credits is  Credits = {base credits} x {account type, all premium is 1.5} x (1 + (sum of all the credit bonuses) + {direct award of credits from missions} so...

Credits = 100000 x 1.5 x (1 + (0.2 + 0.1))

Credits = 100000 x 1.5 x (1 + (0.3))

Credits = 100000 x 1.5 x 1.3

Credits = 195,000 and this is the value that various credit requirement missions use.

NOTE: The first win bonus is not a part of the credit formula.

The service cost for a T7 is 42,000 - any discounts against the service cost. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Service_Cost

Service cost = 42,000 x (100% - (-10% + -5%)) 

Service cost = 42,000 x (100%-15%)

Service cost = 42,000 x (85%)

Service cost = 35,700 credits

Note: a baked in service discount like the Salem has, is applied after the above process is done. It is not included into the service discounts.

If I made any math errors, please let me know.

Edited by Kizarvexis
mispelled CmdrXP
  • Cool 1

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,587 posts
19,583 battles
5 hours ago, RaunchyDogWind said:

If you dont know dont answer...

Hmmmmm ...seems like it's you that doesn't know or maybe just can't understand the WIKI?

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

XP distribution is literally one of the first things one learns about this game.  

Can't believe I'm reading this from someone with fourteen thousand battles, and with almost four times the number of Tier X battles as me.

• Funny 1

[COBRA]
Beta Testers
27 posts
18,988 battles

Man.... folks really like to be mean online huh?   Insults and rude comments... Jabs and blades...  All I did was ask a question, trolls and pretenders came out of the woodwork.   Thank you to Kizarvexis, It didn't answer my question directly but it was a very kind outlay of your time to put that much effort into an answer and into being respectful. I'm certain that answer will be a valuable reference for players curious about XP going forward.  I now of course expect mean comments from trolls criticizing me for saying It didn't answer my question.  Fire away trolls, the rest of this thread is yours. I've turned off notifications for it.

Edited by Tactical_Mentat