Kelorn

Episode 123: In-depth with Soviet Battleships

8 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
317 posts
6,655 battles

Episode 123: In-depth with Soviet Battleships

Note: Timestamp links only appear to work in Microsoft Edge and Safari. Please use them as a guide to scrub forward to the times you'd like to start listening! Thanks!

00:26 General Soviet Battleship impressions

09:08 Pyotr Veliky

20:12 Izmail

26:05 Sinop

30:20 Vladivostok

36:15 Lenin

40:46 Sovetsky Soyuz

48:05 Kreml

59:50 Listener Questions of the Week

New Forum for the Podcast: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/307-the-warships-podcast/

Podcast Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs8t5v-yXYl9utoiJyPHkQ

This week the podcast crew breaks down the upcoming Soviet Battleships in from Tier 5 up and answers some of your Listener Questions of the week!

[A-I-M]
Members
1,582 posts
16,740 battles

Enjoyed the podcast, as always. The line sounds interesting and not stupidly OP overall as some on the forum have lamented. It sounds like these ships will really shine with teamwork to avoid side exposure. I tend to be hyperaggresive , good stats with DDs and CLs, mediocre/poor with CA's and BBs, and wonder what these ships will be like for me. 

I think at some point Kelorn mentioned how much damage he managed vs a Khaba; I believe that Khaba and Harugumo were excepted from the BB AP vs destroyers nerf, so that wouldnt surprise me, especially if you struck it such that the 50mm armor helped fuse your AP. 

I listened with interest to the repeated laments about timid teams. I am seeing this more and more and it is reaching down to mid tier games. I see several versions, in order of increasing timidity:

On a map where lateral repositioning is possible, both wings approach the enemy. One continues to close. The other hauls up and turns about, often even when they have numerical superiority, and head toward the other side. When they get there, they do not close, but use  the aggressive group to tank and spot while they fire at range. 

A meeting engagement develops. A group follows you, but as you approach the enemy, even with with numerical superiority, they turn about and flee or go to cover, sometimes completely shunning LOS. I suppose that the hiders are hoping that the enemy will continue to approach and they will have first fire with some cover. 

A groups steams toward an objective at speed and turns about at sight of the enemy, sometimes even when they have a numerical advantage. 

Someone in chat suggests defense. This is taken as either license to: 1) kite until they hump the back line and miss at range, or 2)  circle in spawn, constantly having to shift turrets around causing a disadvantage in gun power even against enemies using only their forward guns while bow tanking. 

One version of this or another is becoming the NA meta. I comfort myself with the knowledge that the enemy can always be worse. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
10 posts
2,989 battles

I'm not sure if this was the podcast talking about how to pronounce Jutland, but in essence, you are all correct. The Danes pronounce it with a hard "J",like "Django Unchained"...there is a bit of a "d" in the beginning. The Germans, however, the "j" is like a "y" in "yoyo" or "youth", so saying Jutland like "yutland" is also technically correct.

Beta Testers
1,747 posts
3,864 battles

Timid teams I call “world of lemmings syndrome” people coming in from world of tanks thinking that the same tactics world and they simply don’t. 

[BS]
Members
1,587 posts
8,296 battles
25 minutes ago, CaucasianReroll said:

@Kelorn are y'all ok? It's been two weeks, did I miss something ?

He went on a hunting trip, not sure how long though... maybe we'll still get it today

[-K-]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
317 posts
6,655 battles
4 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

He went on a hunting trip, not sure how long though... maybe we'll still get it today

Posting now!

Members
1 post
950 battles
On 3/10/2019 at 7:43 PM, Pugilistic said:

Enjoyed the podcast, as always. The line sounds interesting and not stupidly OP overall as some on the forum have lamented. It sounds like these ships will really shine with teamwork to avoid side exposure. I tend to be hyperaggresive , good stats with DDs and CLs, mediocre/poor with CA's and BBs, and wonder what these ships will be like for me. 

I think at some point Kelorn mentioned how much damage he managed vs a Khaba; I believe that Khaba and Harugumo were excepted from the BB AP vs destroyers nerf, so that wouldnt surprise me, especially if you struck it such that the 50mm armor helped fuse your AP. 

I listened with interest to the repeated laments about timid teams. I am seeing this more and more and it is reaching down to mid tier games. I see several versions, in order of increasing timidity:

On a map where lateral repositioning is possible, both wings approach the enemy. One continues to close. The other hauls up and turns about, often even when they have numerical superiority, and head toward the other side. When they get there, they do not close, but use  the aggressive group to tank and spot while they fire at range. 

A meeting engagement develops. A group follows you, but as you approach the enemy, even with with numerical superiority, they turn about and flee or go to cover, sometimes completely shunning LOS. I suppose that the hiders are hoping that the enemy will continue to approach and they will have first fire with some cover. 

A groups steams toward an objective at speed and turns about at sight of the enemy, sometimes even when they have a numerical advantage. 

Someone in chat suggests defense. This is taken as either license to: 1) kite until they hump the back line and miss at range, or 2)  circle in spawn, constantly having to shift turrets around causing a disadvantage in gun power even against enemies using only their forward guns while bow tanking. 

One version of this or another is becoming the NA meta. I comfort myself with the knowledge that the enemy can always be worse. 

Could this be because there isn't really a brawling centric cruiser line to follow all these brawling battleships into battle? I understand the German cruisers can do this at higher tiers, but otherwise, we don't seem to have a highly armored cruiser line that can brawl. Perhaps I underestimate available options for brawling, but, I think could impact things here. 

Edited by Killer375
  • Cool 1