You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GrandAdmiral_2016

The RN CV Schtick

15 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
1,975 posts
19,085 battles

On the off chance that I could not play enough missions to unlock the 3 RN CVs early, I unlocked HMS Hermes and played herThis is where I stand at present:

Thirty games to get over 12,000 XP, enough to get me Furious in a normal grind. Playing Hermes in low tier co-op and getting only 7 ships kills in 30 games gives you an idea of how low tier AA shreds air groups, and how weak the attack groups are, especially when there are T5 ships in the game. I had 6 games with all T5s except me where I could not score a single hit regardless of how hard I manuvered my attack groups to avoid the AA. All I got were spotting points in those games. If Texas was in the game she had to be avoided like the plague. I managed 1 torpedo hit on a Texas (a down-the-throat bow approach shot-still got shot down). All of the two CV games against bots were losses as a 2 BB bot advantage and weak offensive potential of the CVs at that tier equals a loss, I don't care how good you are.

I will readily admit I have never been a fan of CV play, which is why I did this in co-op. I was not about to put a millstone around my team's neck in Randoms playing this ship, even at low tiers. As an RN main, this will be the only CV line I grind to T10. I can see why the average CV players are complaining about the CV rework. At the lowest tier, at any rate, AA beats airplanes for most players. Spotting against DDs is a farce. They are firing AA at you before you spot them. Kind of weird as ships are normally spotted by the naked eye from planes that size at about the same time the ship's lookouts spot the planes

Now I have played my share of Random high-tier games with CVs in the last two weeks to know that at Tiers 6 to 10, a team with a good CV driver will beat the team with an average CV driver every time, never mind the AA. Even at that level, the attack groups get shredded by AA. The rework suits the better players rather than the average player, at least at present. As far as gameplay is concerned, until we stop being guinea pigs for WG developers on the live server, the jury is still out on the CV rework and survival of the game platform itself. 

I do not say this lightly, having invested time and dollars over the last three years. I would hate to see it fold, but sometimes shite happens.

shot-19.03.06_20.34.09-0670.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
9,749 posts
19,264 battles

I would have to beg to differ on the two CV Co-op games.

Difficult yes; but isn’t that what Co-op mains have been asking for?

As well, it helps to have real players, NOT BOTS, (most of my games are 2300>, so lotsa bot ‘players...’) and also that they want to win.

Trust me; my personal feeling on the matter are basically that WG can (redacted)(etc...) so if someone who in effect would cry great big crocodile tears if the rework failed can make the carriers work, it can’t be all that bad.

Agree about not using them in Randoms. Ranger was passable in Killer Whale, and Ryujo in Aegis, but just barely, and I wouldn’t use them anywhere else.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
143 posts
2,405 battles

I don’t understand why a tier 6 cv only gets tier 6 planes when fully upgraded, seeing as you are facing tier 8 quite a bit.  I haven’t figured out the bombers yet, I much prefer dive bombers over level bombers.

[HELLS]
Members
1,975 posts
19,085 battles

Update: I got Furious unlocked in the missions and ran her up to 11,000+ ship XP in a dozen co-op games using available cammos. Even in co-op Furious is wasted when facing T8 AA with T6 planes. T7 she could handle. The next question is can I unlock Implacable in the Fly, Strike, Win missions. Since I got Hermes and  Furious strictly from the Fly, Strike, Win missions without buying any airdrop premium crates, all I have left is 70 crowns. If I play all available mission games from now until the Fly, Strike, Win event ends I will have enough crowns but I will be short 750 florins for Implacable unless they have two extra regular airdrop crates in each stage in the last two weeks' missions. Between now and then I should be able to grind 158,000 ship XP (Got enough to FXP it but am saving FXP for something better) to unlock Implacable when the line drops, in co-op 10 to 15 games a day for two weeks. Plus It will cost me 3,000 doubloons to premium cammo Furious and Implacable. Well Played, WG, you know how to empty our wallets....17 bucks for a damned paint job....

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,531 posts
4 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Update: I got Furious unlocked in the missions and ran her up to 11,000+ ship XP in a dozen co-op games using available cammos. Even in co-op Furious is wasted when facing T8 AA with T6 planes. T7 she could handle. The next question is can I unlock Implacable in the Fly, Strike, Win missions. Since I got Hermes and  Furious strictly from the Fly, Strike, Win missions without buying any airdrop premium crates, all I have left is 70 crowns. If I play all available mission games from now until the Fly, Strike, Win event ends I will have enough crowns but I will be short 750 florins for Implacable unless they have two extra regular airdrop crates in each stage in the last two weeks' missions. Between now and then I should be able to grind 158,000 ship XP (Got enough to FXP it but am saving FXP for something better) to unlock Implacable when the line drops, in co-op 10 to 15 games a day for two weeks. Plus It will cost me 3,000 doubloons to premium cammo Furious and Implacable. Well Played, WG, you know how to empty our wallets....17 bucks for a damned paint job....

The Implacable prem camo can be had for free from the collection.

Members
1,140 posts

If you think Hermes and Furious are bad in coop, don't go near Implacable at this stage, as even with the permanent camo from the collection, WoWs premium time and all the economy flags you will be lucky to make anything other than a financial loss in each game to the tune of -10k to -25k, in 7 games I made a profit once of just under +6k and that was in the first game in it.

I don't think they are really bothering to balance the RN CV much, they are from what I can see trying to balance the US and Japanese CV to each other first in the main, then they will balance the RN CV to that, so the RN CV are behind the curve.

[SOV]
Members
2,151 posts
On 3/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

On the off chance that I could not play enough missions to unlock the 3 RN CVs early, I unlocked HMS Hermes and played herThis is where I stand at present:

Thirty games to get over 12,000 XP, enough to get me Furious in a normal grind. Playing Hermes in low tier co-op and getting only 7 ships kills in 30 games gives you an idea of how low tier AA shreds air groups, and how weak the attack groups are, especially when there are T5 ships in the game. I had 6 games with all T5s except me where I could not score a single hit regardless of how hard I manuvered my attack groups to avoid the AA. All I got were spotting points in those games. If Texas was in the game she had to be avoided like the plague. I managed 1 torpedo hit on a Texas (a down-the-throat bow approach shot-still got shot down). All of the two CV games against bots were losses as a 2 BB bot advantage and weak offensive potential of the CVs at that tier equals a loss, I don't care how good you are.

I will readily admit I have never been a fan of CV play, which is why I did this in co-op. I was not about to put a millstone around my team's neck in Randoms playing this ship, even at low tiers. As an RN main, this will be the only CV line I grind to T10. I can see why the average CV players are complaining about the CV rework. At the lowest tier, at any rate, AA beats airplanes for most players. Spotting against DDs is a farce. They are firing AA at you before you spot them. Kind of weird as ships are normally spotted by the naked eye from planes that size at about the same time the ship's lookouts spot the planes

Now I have played my share of Random high-tier games with CVs in the last two weeks to know that at Tiers 6 to 10, a team with a good CV driver will beat the team with an average CV driver every time, never mind the AA. Even at that level, the attack groups get shredded by AA. The rework suits the better players rather than the average player, at least at present. As far as gameplay is concerned, until we stop being guinea pigs for WG developers on the live server, the jury is still out on the CV rework and survival of the game platform itself. 

I do not say this lightly, having invested time and dollars over the last three years. I would hate to see it fold, but sometimes shite happens.

shot-19.03.06_20.34.09-0670.jpg

Coop is harder than randoms when it comes to cv play. Try a few games in random. 

Ranger is a great CV so I would say get the Ranger before you give up on CV

[KMS]
Beta Testers
147 posts
4,731 battles

I believe they did mention that the RN carriers are a work in progress and we should expect changes.  It appears they are using those who choose to swap for them as "testers" to see just how good/bad they are.  No issues from here as I love how they look.  Now if we can just get an Ark Royal Premium I will be "forced" to re-open my wallet.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,975 posts
19,085 battles
18 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Update II: I took Furious out in Randoms and ran up 16,669 ship XP in 3 games. She definitely cannot handle T8 ships' AA and has a tough time with T7s as well, but she can cope. These totals are not impressive because I had her flagged to the hilt to maximize ship XP. I could do consistent damage up to T7 but T8 ships are pretty much unapproachable until they have been ground down by your team . Her AA shreds attacking planes along with the fighters so attacking an enemy Furious requires a co-ordinated attack by two air groups from two CVs. This is on a par with other comments on the CV rework. I managed to kill a single damaged straggler in three games. In all, I got 12 torpedo hits, 4 bomb hits, and 24 rocket hits. I totalled 67,717 damage points. IMHO, the RN aerial torpedoes need a 15% buff, the bombs 10%, and the rockets 10%. They were nerfed twice in testing and were weakened too much. This is true for other nations' CVs as well from the commentary I have seen.

Playing three or four games a day with Furious in Randoms should get me to 158,000 ship XP before the line drops, which is what I need for Implacable. BTW, I have the mission permacammo in my inventory as the collection is complete. The Fly Strike Win thing is a come on for the Premium Shop. We are still guinea pigs with fat wallets, folks....

[HMCS]
Beta Testers
11 posts
3,228 battles

If you think Furious is a struggle bus against T8 and T7 ship AA, wait till you fly the Implacable's planes into the T10 AA. It's beyond frustrating to say the least. When she is top tier, she does well enough with the upgraded planes, but anything T9 or 10 is a lost cause. I admit I am new to CVs, having never touched them after the rework until the RN stuff came out and maybe played a half dozen with the Saipan prior to the rework to ill effect; but, it's a bit much when you consider how little you can actually do to avoid taking copious amounts of damage even from median rated AA that isn't stacked with another ship. I think what is at issue is the degree to which your being up tiered really affects your ability to contribute and influence the battle. At least with surface ships, I know, regardless of being in a DD, CA/CL, or a BB, there is a means to deal out damage and contribute positively when playing smart and to the ship's strengths. You still notice the inferiority when you get caught, but that just doesn't exist with lower tier planes against up tired ships. Unless I'm doing this incredibly wrong, I just don't know how to counter such without floating around the map and avoiding contact to keep my planes alive and doing jack crap.

[HELLS]
Members
1,975 posts
19,085 battles

Update III: Got Furious up to 80,000 FXP. Have 3 sinks only in Random play (17 games-7 wins, 10 losses) average of 31,340 damage and 1172 XP per game in Random play. I won't have any trouble grinding enough ship XP to get Implacable when the line drops, but the math is against me getting enough florins (2,500 required, have 140 at present and used them only for the CV packages in the Arsenal, nothing else) to get her in the Arsenal with only two airdrop crates per mission stage and the daily missions as a source. Crowns are not an issue. Doubloons and cash purchases in the Premium Shop or Arsenal are not an option on a retiree's gaming budget. All this make the grind to Audacious that much longer unless I splurge a chunk of FXP to get her. That's just the way it is....

• Cool 1

[MR-1]
Members
34 posts
8,599 battles

I've heard so many players saying there gonna get rid of the Cv's since the rework has made them worse . I don't know personaly I would rather fly with the planes than watch everything unflold from a birds eye view . but hey im just a novice CV player with only a couple of games with ,a jap an American and with my hermes . still learning this even takeing the time to try in in training rooms .

I do find that I just cant get my timing right when to drop on my runs

[ASHIP]
Members
56 posts
6,151 battles

It just takes practice, take the 2 pt captain skill to speed up torps that helps some, really the dive bombers are the hardest to get the hang of, the ap ones are damage dealers on BBs and the he ones can actually be more destructive on DDs than the rocket planes

[HELLS]
Members
1,975 posts
19,085 battles

Update IV: Up to 103,397 XP in 26 Random and 21 Co-op games combined. Just starting to get consistent with dishing out damage with the weak weapons these things have. My captain is up to 12 skill points (I had a ton of elite XP and used a 100,000 EXP push to get him there when he got to level 5). Got one more sink in Randoms. Still negative in wins-losses, but most times that's more the team I draw than bad play on my part. Had two real potato games, but doesn't everyone? Stay tuned....

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[HELLS]
Members
1,975 posts
19,085 battles

Update V: Up to 122,890 XP in 31 Randoms and 21 Co-op games combined. Furious has 821,648 hit points and 1158 XP average to date in Randoms, which is higher than my overall average, with 6 ship kills and 165 aircraft shot down. At 14 wins-16 losses, and today went 5 wins-0 losses in her. Now getting consistent damage and expect to have enough ship XP by the weekend to halt the grind as I will get to the 158,000 ship XP needed for Implacable. This from a player that did not have 31 games total in CVs, Random or Co-op, since January 2016 when I first began playing the game,until this RN thing started. I guess this old sea dog is still up to learning a few new tricks.

At this tier, Furious cannot carry she can only contribute. To do that you have to survive beyond mid-game with your air groups relatively intact while scouting for your team mates and nibbling around the edges with your dive bombers. Players are now beginning to run in groups of 3 or 4 ships in the same AA umbrella instead of yoloing so you have to wait until the other team is ground down and you can attack single isolated ships to get decent damage with lighter plane losses. Most CVs have strong enough AA that attacking them early results in loss of your attack squadrons without making any damage.

In Furious, torpedoes are the weapon of choice. Dropped in pairs by each squadron, getting tight and leading the target properly can get you consistent double hits. Use the speed boost when you are inside the AA bubble, drop, and get the hell out while weaving. WSD works for airplanes! IMHO the torps need a 10% buff for damage and flooding. The carpet-bombing technique used by the bombers takes a bit of work to master but it does do reasonable damage if multiple hits are scored. The bombs could use a 5% buff for damage and fire. The rockets are only good against DDs and defending caps on anything bigger. They are simple to hit with but anemic, too much so for my taste. They need a 5% buff as well. Dropping fighters over you own ships must be done only on a situational basis when they are about to be attacked by approaching enemy planes that will pass through the zone they will cover. Your fighters are immune to own side AA, which can be an advantage in helping out your team. Almost half of my air kills were made by my fighters that I dropped over ships in trouble.

I do not camp in one spot, I keep moving around as much as possible from one side of the map to the other and make use of as much cover as the map affords to remain concealed. Sitting still is a recipe for getting sunk by an opposing CVs TB bombers. In Furious, speed is life, and she runs at a battlecruiser speed of 32.5 knots, which allows you to move around and stay out of sight as much as possible.

Finis for this thread, folks. Have fun!