You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

West virgin anybody own her? worth a punt?

8 comments in this topic

Members
1,393 posts
3,718 battles

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/9149/

Thinking about the west virgin bb.

Is she fun and does she hit hard?

What are the secondaries like vs close in dds and cruisers?

Better than the arizona?

Max secondary range?

Closest bb in fun to her?

Thanks.

Better than the amazing mutsu?

Edited by abyssofthetriffid

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,576 posts
2,611 battles

She has phenomenal guns, but she is slow. Secondaries are not worth speccing for, and are only useful against an enemy yolol DD. I think I would take her over Arizona... the gunnery is just phenomenal from what little I have played.

Keep in mind, there will probably be a 44 WV in the game at some point. Likely doesnt influence your buying.  But if your a history buff it might

Members
1,393 posts
3,718 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

She has phenomenal guns, but she is slow. Secondaries are not worth speccing for, and are only useful against an enemy yolol DD. I think I would take her over Arizona... the gunnery is just phenomenal from what little I have played.

Keep in mind, there will probably be a 44 WV in the game at some point. Likely doesnt influence your buying.  But if your a history buff it might

Hmmmmmm thanks the wv 44 will be tier?

[S0L0]
Members
30 posts
2,293 battles

I like her. If you are a fan of US Mid Tier bbs then you will like her. She hits hard. While I have not taken her out too much lately I find her lots of fun.

Her secondaries are just like the rest of the US secondaries.

I don't own Arizona yet but from everything I have heard they each play a little different. West has larger caliber guns at 16 inch so she hits harder. Ari is smaller at 14 inch but she is more accurate.

West Virginia 44 has NOT been annonced yet. All they have said is that they will make her some time in the future. We are probably looking at like 2020 for a release date.

I think she is worth picking up. She hits hard and I have alot of fun with her.

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
929 posts
6,522 battles
43 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Hmmmmmm thanks the wv 44 will be tier?

We don't really know anything. WG only promised to make WV '44 when the community had a fit that they copied Colorado, nerfed her a bit, and made WV. (It was pretty lazy - esp since only the '44 WV is famous)  But anyway, that's all they've said. They'll have to entirely model a new ship as after her rebuild she had major outside structural changes. I wouldn't count on it being any time soon. Also, she'd have to be at least T7... and would anyone buy a 21 kt premium ship at that tier? Not sure.... 

Members
1,393 posts
3,718 battles
1 minute ago, TheBlackWind said:

We don't really know anything. WG only promised to make WV '44 when the community had a fit that they copied Colorado, nerfed her a bit, and made WV. (It was pretty lazy - esp since only the '44 WV is famous)  But anyway, that's all they've said. They'll have to entirely model a new ship as after her rebuild she had major outside structural changes. I wouldn't count on it being any time soon. Also, she'd have to be at least T7... and would anyone buy a 21 kt premium ship at that tier? Not sure.... 

Thank you.

So the west virgin 41 is a solid buy :D .

[MOH]
Members
433 posts
1,703 battles
10 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/9149/

Thinking about the west virgin bb.

Is she fun and does she hit hard?

What are the secondaries like vs close in dds and cruisers?

Better than the arizona?

Max secondary range?

Closest bb in fun to her?

Thanks.

Better than the amazing mutsu?

Hardest hitting guns of T6 by far.  Will obliterate everything you hit.  Mutsu actually has very, very low penetration, whereas WV41' is top by a large margin.

Not as tanky or stealthy as the Arizona, but still beefy 'cause it's a US Standard BB.  Fewer hp than Arizona.  Lacks the Arizona's 37mm upper armor belt.  Lacks the Arizona's TDS.  Doesn't have the Arizona's 50mm turtleback armor belt, either.  Arizona also has better firing angles.  Doesn't maintain its speed like the Colorado.  AA is practically non-existent.  Secondaries suck like most other T6 BB's.

But them guns!  Ho-lee crap

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles

Those 406mm AP shells are expressly made for punishing Battleships.  They are the same ones that Colorado has in Tier VII.  Colorado has issues with accuracy but the power of her shells was never in question.

Someone a while back complained about his WV'41's shells Overpenning so much.  With some questioning, I found out he was trying to smash Cruisers.  I told him for Cruisers, if you don't hit right at the citadel / waterline to get the AP to fuse, you'll get nothing but Overpens.  Against BBs, they're strong and will do much, much better.  He changed his aiming habits, focusing more on BBs in particular, and ended up loving the ship a lot more.

It reminds me a lot of Roma's AP shells, TBH.  Roma's 380mm AP has good penetration values and very fast velocity.  But it was the same story.  You don't hit right for a Citadel on a Cruiser, you got only Overpens.  I changed my aiming habit and focused more on BBs and she got more damage as a result with the AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway