You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

West virgin anybody own her? worth a punt?

18 comments in this topic

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/9149/

Thinking about the west virgin bb.

Is she fun and does she hit hard?

What are the secondaries like vs close in dds and cruisers?

Better than the arizona?

Max secondary range?

Closest bb in fun to her?

Thanks.

Better than the amazing mutsu?

Edited by abyssofthetriffid

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

She has phenomenal guns, but she is slow. Secondaries are not worth speccing for, and are only useful against an enemy yolol DD. I think I would take her over Arizona... the gunnery is just phenomenal from what little I have played.

Keep in mind, there will probably be a 44 WV in the game at some point. Likely doesnt influence your buying.  But if your a history buff it might

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

She has phenomenal guns, but she is slow. Secondaries are not worth speccing for, and are only useful against an enemy yolol DD. I think I would take her over Arizona... the gunnery is just phenomenal from what little I have played.

Keep in mind, there will probably be a 44 WV in the game at some point. Likely doesnt influence your buying.  But if your a history buff it might

Hmmmmmm thanks the wv 44 will be tier?

Members
30 posts
2,468 battles

I like her. If you are a fan of US Mid Tier bbs then you will like her. She hits hard. While I have not taken her out too much lately I find her lots of fun.

Her secondaries are just like the rest of the US secondaries.

I don't own Arizona yet but from everything I have heard they each play a little different. West has larger caliber guns at 16 inch so she hits harder. Ari is smaller at 14 inch but she is more accurate.

West Virginia 44 has NOT been annonced yet. All they have said is that they will make her some time in the future. We are probably looking at like 2020 for a release date.

I think she is worth picking up. She hits hard and I have alot of fun with her.

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
8,862 battles
43 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Hmmmmmm thanks the wv 44 will be tier?

We don't really know anything. WG only promised to make WV '44 when the community had a fit that they copied Colorado, nerfed her a bit, and made WV. (It was pretty lazy - esp since only the '44 WV is famous)  But anyway, that's all they've said. They'll have to entirely model a new ship as after her rebuild she had major outside structural changes. I wouldn't count on it being any time soon. Also, she'd have to be at least T7... and would anyone buy a 21 kt premium ship at that tier? Not sure.... 

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
1 minute ago, TheBlackWind said:

We don't really know anything. WG only promised to make WV '44 when the community had a fit that they copied Colorado, nerfed her a bit, and made WV. (It was pretty lazy - esp since only the '44 WV is famous)  But anyway, that's all they've said. They'll have to entirely model a new ship as after her rebuild she had major outside structural changes. I wouldn't count on it being any time soon. Also, she'd have to be at least T7... and would anyone buy a 21 kt premium ship at that tier? Not sure.... 

Thank you.

So the west virgin 41 is a solid buy :D .

[UN1]
Members
835 posts
2,941 battles
10 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/9149/

Thinking about the west virgin bb.

Is she fun and does she hit hard?

What are the secondaries like vs close in dds and cruisers?

Better than the arizona?

Max secondary range?

Closest bb in fun to her?

Thanks.

Better than the amazing mutsu?

Hardest hitting guns of T6 by far.  Will obliterate everything you hit.  Mutsu actually has very, very low penetration, whereas WV41' is top by a large margin.

Not as tanky or stealthy as the Arizona, but still beefy 'cause it's a US Standard BB.  Fewer hp than Arizona.  Lacks the Arizona's 37mm upper armor belt.  Lacks the Arizona's TDS.  Doesn't have the Arizona's 50mm turtleback armor belt, either.  Arizona also has better firing angles.  Doesn't maintain its speed like the Colorado.  AA is practically non-existent.  Secondaries suck like most other T6 BB's.

But them guns!  Ho-lee crap

[WOLF3]
Members
23,745 posts
21,161 battles

Those 406mm AP shells are expressly made for punishing Battleships.  They are the same ones that Colorado has in Tier VII.  Colorado has issues with accuracy but the power of her shells was never in question.

Someone a while back complained about his WV'41's shells Overpenning so much.  With some questioning, I found out he was trying to smash Cruisers.  I told him for Cruisers, if you don't hit right at the citadel / waterline to get the AP to fuse, you'll get nothing but Overpens.  Against BBs, they're strong and will do much, much better.  He changed his aiming habits, focusing more on BBs in particular, and ended up loving the ship a lot more.

It reminds me a lot of Roma's AP shells, TBH.  Roma's 380mm AP has good penetration values and very fast velocity.  But it was the same story.  You don't hit right for a Citadel on a Cruiser, you got only Overpens.  I changed my aiming habit and focused more on BBs and she got more damage as a result with the AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2 posts
1,924 battles

With WV, you are slow.  So recommend speed flags for sure.  Also, use captain's skills to up survivabilty and concealment, as well as turret traverse.  Dispersion will annoy you.  I've had times where I've shot at something, and had things land all around it.  But when the guns hit right, they hit like a semi truck.  I've had a few instances already where I've given T7 or even T8 BBs a good shot.  Sunk a Bismarck B in one game.  Had another where I one shotted an Atlanta at full health, hit a BB and had 2 T7 BBs after me lol.  

If you can play her right, you are a threat if you can stay in position and know how to play American BBs and don't mind the 21 knot speed.

[LOIN]
Supertester
717 posts
On 3/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, abyssofthetriffid said:

Thank you.

So the west virgin 41 is a solid buy :D .

I would definitely say yes it's a solid buy. This thing packs a wallop, speed is slow (but hey it's a U.S BB what you expect) good armor, decent range and accuracy. I really like her.

[NVRDY]
Members
165 posts
13,294 battles

WeeVee is a solid ship , she puts all her chips on her guns which is great if you can aim well I enjoy her and do well in her 55%+ winrate in her . No better feeling than crushing bow tanking BB captains with cits through the face , but you have to learn not to go alone because cvs will love the taste of your blood. 

[JAWS-]
Members
15 posts
9,359 battles

I love WeeVee 1941. She's as slow as the South Carolina (actually, nothing's that slow), and I'm a fan of any Battleship Row. She's essentially a down tier Colorado base hull,  so walk in and pulverize them. Just make your shots count, because you won't have speed to flee.

Don't park her, either. Keep her speed up at all times (as with all other BBs).

Have fun.

Alpha Tester
700 posts
3,424 battles

You need to get the WV because the ship is really cute. 

The ship really excels at taking on other BBs and slicing them up with citadels while being a rather tanky ship bouncing incoming shells. I'd say it's about par for a premium, except that 10 BB games are really common, so it's often in it's element. 

I don't really bother shooting cruisers unless there's not much else as the shells sail right on through more often than not. 

In summary, it's a unique ship that highlights the best of the mid tier US BBs and is one of the best BBs in the game at taking out other BBs. 

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,134 posts
13,438 battles

After 17 battles I have a 53% win rate and 51.4K average damage. Server average is 53K damage. Still at 10 point captain, heading for AR (level 2) captain skill next. Only run the speed flag.

Members
2,421 posts
4,130 battles

West Virginia '41 is tied with Mutsu for "Most Fun in Aegis" to me. You sail up the island chain on the west side, blapping cruisers the whole way, then two salvos, and you insta-delete the fourth-wave BBs at close range.

Members
9 posts
3,739 battles

Upsides:

- Gorgeous with those cage masts, and that counts.

- Super hefty punch in her 16" guns. You will pulverize what you hit (usually).  She also seems to start a lot of fires, in my view, so don't be afraid to use the HE. I've killed many higher tier battleships in the WeeVee by starting fires. Accuracy is average to slightly above average; dispersion could be better.

- Decent AA and secondaries for a Pearl Harbor battleship; nothing to write home about, but good at close range where your secondaries will tear up destroyers and light cruisers. I killed ten planes in the WeeVee a few days ago, not bad for a mid tier slow battleship. 

Downsides:

- Slow speed, as others have commented. Don't try pushing with her. Instead, try to take a position where you can support the faster, more powerful battleships if you can. If things start looking bad, you'll have to decide whether to run or stay quickly, since she's too slow to run away. Whatever you do, commit to it fast.

- She should be able to turn MUCH faster to avoid torpedoes, but WoW hasn't replicated her actual turning abilities. These old battleships could easily evade torpedoes with enough notice in the real world, and did. They should be able to here in WoW, but they haven't given her that ability. You will be a torpedo magnet so keep moving and altering course constantly.

- She seems tender to me. Meaning, she can dish it out but she can't take it, at times. Looking at the real ship's immune zone and armor scheme, she shouldn't be citadeled as often as she sometimes is, especially versus 15 inch shellfire. Her armor scheme was designed to protect against 16 inch shellfire, yet smaller calibers seem to often do a lot more damage than they perhaps should. I've been absolutely devastated by the 14 inch guns of the New Mexico, guns the real armor of a Colorado-class battleship would laugh at. She should also shrug off cruiser fire, but sometimes cannot. This is a WoW problem, where cruisers seem to me to be vastly overpowered, especially when firing HE, compared to their historical analogs. However, it seems to be slightly to somewhat worse with the WeeVee.

Verdict...

- A fun ship to play, but you must know her weaknesses and not play to them.

- Get as many captain's points as you can.

- Load up as many flags as you can, especially those emphasizing speed and damage control. You'll need them.

[THREE]
Members
2,210 posts
11,732 battles

Hey 

West Virginia 41 is an excellent BB in many ways except she is very slow.  The guns are very good.  She does decently when up tiered because of those guns, fairly robust but the AA and secondary's are nothing to right home about but a good ship none the less, worth having in port.

Pete

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
837 posts
25,965 battles

Big quetion? I have the west Virginia 41, i get with dooblums at armery, but i want to get the commanders DUSTY RODERS. WG can to sale with COATS, XP,doobloums, at armery?  

39DA7457-C511-4855-B688-64A1EA1D95A1.jpeg