You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CraftsyDad

IJN Torp Boat Power Ups!

11 comments in this topic

Members
122 posts
4,460 battles

I was thinking of ways WG can breath new life into the old torpedo boat IJN line. its been power crept on now for a while and could use some love specifically at higher tiers where I think they struggle (ubiquitous hydro, CV, planes of all sorts, BB speed boosts (ok just french line - makes them really hard to torp), high maneuverability  BBs etc etc &c &c

This is what I would love to see

1. Give high tier captains the ability to have one spread of torpedoes be those used on the Asashio. I would frigging love that in my shimmy.

2. Higher speed torps and lower detactability.

Good, bad, ugly?

• Bad 1

[APOC]
Members
229 posts
7,291 battles
7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Keep those filthy DWT away from my IJN torp boats!

Most of my torp kills are on DDs.

Mine to.. but that's exactly why the line needs a buff of sorts. since the IJN torp line supposed to be the BB killers..

[CVA16]
Members
2,780 posts
10,470 battles
18 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Keep those filthy DWT away from my IJN torp boats!

Most of my torp kills are on DDs.

Would it be acceptable if it were an Option/Upgrade? After (IF) you unlock the DWT, you decide in port which ones you are going to bring into battle. Sort of like the F3's are now.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
2,107 posts
10,673 battles
17 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Would it be acceptable if it were an Option/Upgrade? After (IF) you unlock the DWT, you decide in port which ones you are going to bring into battle. Sort of like the F3's are now.

It would be fine as long as the regular torps were in line with what the line has.

This is the only reason I don’t own Asashio.

Members
64 posts
2,477 battles
On 3/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, soko99 said:

Mine to.. but that's exactly why the line needs a buff of sorts. since the IJN torp line supposed to be the BB killers..

They are. When used correctly. Most of my kills are battleships (not friendly ones, I swear :cap_haloween: ) and then destroyers, and lastly cruisers. I feel that is the normal hierarchy to have when you drive a good torpedo boat intelligently (I am NOT insulting anyone, just for the record).

I personally feel that if you get most kills on destroyers, then either you are not making the most of your concealment to get into the kind of range that makes a battleship captain think "this is like the horror movie, and I am the hunted," or you are getting kills on stupid destroyer players. Whenever you smoke up, you should be expecting torpedoes from players "hoping" for a kill more than actually going for one.

I do not feel that we need buffs. IJN torpedo boats have been indirectly buffed in the new meta, with -20% detectability by air and torpedoes no longer being detected by air. I would like to think that the new flooding mechanic will benefit IJN torpedo boats but I do not see that happening.

The reason I do not think so? The main selling point about the new flooding is that you can cause multiple floods in the new mechanic, but most IJN torpedo boats torp from 9-20 km away, so the torpedoes have time to spread out. If you use your concealment to get closer, you can even consistent multiple floods on cruisers' and battleships' broadsides because the torpedoes will have spread out much less by the time they reach their mark. Because of radar, you'll see less of a benefit from this new mechanic at higher tiers, obviously.

If you think I am talking slack, try driving the Hatsuharu where there's no radar. You'll come around...

[APOC]
Members
229 posts
7,291 battles
1 minute ago, TheYamato said:

They are. When used correctly. Most of my kills are battleships (not friendly ones, I swear :cap_haloween: ) and then destroyers, and lastly cruisers. I feel that is the normal hierarchy to have when you drive a good torpedo boat intelligently (I am NOT insulting anyone, just for the record).

I personally feel that if you get most kills on destroyers, then either you are not making the most of your concealment to get into the kind of range that makes a battleship captain think "this is like the horror movie, and I am the hunted," or you are getting kills on stupid destroyer players. Whenever you smoke up, you should be expecting torpedoes from players "hoping" for a kill more than actually going for one.

I do not feel that we need buffs. IJN torpedo boats have been indirectly buffed in the new meta, with -20% detectability by air and torpedoes no longer being detected by air. I would like to think that the new flooding mechanic will benefit IJN torpedo boats but I do not see that happening.

The reason I do not think so? The main selling point about the new flooding is that you can cause multiple floods in the new mechanic, but most IJN torpedo boats torp from 9-20 km away, so the torpedoes have time to spread out. If you use your concealment to get closer, you can even consistent multiple floods on cruisers' and battleships' broadsides because the torpedoes will have spread out much less by the time they reach their mark. Because of radar, you'll see less of a benefit from this new mechanic at higher tiers, obviously.

If you think I am talking slack, try driving the Hatsuharu where there's no radar. You'll come around...

That still leaves half the line though.  o just cant finish off the BBs hence why the kills are on DDs with them instead.  cuisers are my least but get a very good satisfaction out of killing radar cruisers :)

I do use the 20km torps and usually get 4-5 hits per game. But you are right the flooding is not paying dividends as WG claims.

Members
64 posts
2,477 battles
1 hour ago, soko99 said:

That still leaves half the line though.  o just cant finish off the BBs hence why the kills are on DDs with them instead.  cuisers are my least but get a very good satisfaction out of killing radar cruisers :)

I do use the 20km torps and usually get 4-5 hits per game. But you are right the flooding is not paying dividends as WG claims.

You probably torp from 17-20 km away then? I play Hatsuharu with 2 triple tubes (guilty of trying to grind Harugumo) and 1:22 reload yet I get 10-15 hits per game consistently, so much so that with flags and camo, it took me 9 games to get the XP needed for the Shiratsuyu. What I'm saying is: you won't finish anything off with 4-5 hits per game, except a destroyer (continued below) and that's on you, not WeeGee.

One Japanese 20 km torpedo won't kill anyone unless it's an exceptionally bad destroyer player, because those torpedoes can be spotted 2.5 km (!) away and they're sloooooow. Add in the fact that the further you are when you drop torpedoes, the more they will spread out before reaching the target, and you would literally need to be an idiot to take a torpedo launched from a Shimakaze 20 km away. You will never get multiple floods if that is how you play the Shima.

You have great concealment, get in closer. Even at 8-10 km, you are undetectable except by radar and plane, so you can launch torpedoes that are significantly more tightly grouped when they reach the target - that's the difference between a wall of torps and a wall of skill. Also, use torpedo acceleration or use the first torpedo upgrade on the Shimakaze. That extra torpedo speed makes them harder to avoid, and for passing from 20 km to 16 km range, it's such a good tradeoff since 16 km is still very good range, lol.

EDIT

I didn't mean to sound harsh by the way, so I am sorry if I do. If a Hatsuharu can easily land 10-15 hits with a 6 torpedo broadside, Shima's potential should up that to 20+ easily. If this is how you are playing the Shimakaze, then you are already shooting yourself in the foot as far as making the most of these mechanics goes. Just being blunt.

Edited by TheYamato

[APOC]
Members
229 posts
7,291 battles
55 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

You probably torp from 17-20 km away then? I play Hatsuharu with 2 triple tubes (guilty of trying to grind Harugumo) and 1:22 reload yet I get 10-15 hits per game consistently, so much so that with flags and camo, it took me 9 games to get the XP needed for the Shiratsuyu. What I'm saying is: you won't finish anything off with 4-5 hits per game, except a destroyer (continued below) and that's on you, not WeeGee.

One Japanese 20 km torpedo won't kill anyone unless it's an exceptionally bad destroyer player, because those torpedoes can be spotted 2.5 km (!) away and they're sloooooow. Add in the fact that the further you are when you drop torpedoes, the more they will spread out before reaching the target, and you would literally need to be an idiot to take a torpedo launched from a Shimakaze 20 km away. You will never get multiple floods if that is how you play the Shima.

You have great concealment, get in closer. Even at 8-10 km, you are undetectable except by radar and plane, so you can launch torpedoes that are significantly more tightly grouped when they reach the target - that's the difference between a wall of torps and a wall of skill. Also, use torpedo acceleration or use the first torpedo upgrade on the Shimakaze. That extra torpedo speed makes them harder to avoid, and for passing from 20 km to 16 km range, it's such a good tradeoff since 16 km is still very good range, lol.

EDIT

I didn't mean to sound harsh by the way, so I am sorry if I do. If a Hatsuharu can easily land 10-15 hits with a 6 torpedo broadside, Shima's potential should up that to 20+ easily. If this is how you are playing the Shimakaze, then you are already shooting yourself in the foot as far as making the most of these mechanics goes. Just being blunt.

I only launch from 16-20k at the start for area denial. I do close in and launch from 8-12.  I play objective not kills so if my torps will me someone turn to give broadside I will often do that even if I know most will get dodged. I tried the 12k one but found people outrunnng them too much and the slow speed of the 20km ones really confusing for them. I often have DDs end up trying to outrun them instead of angling away and eventually turning into them. Alternatively getting them coming around islands etc.

I used to have TA but swapped it for SE and RPF cause those help me a lot more in the DD vs DD fights or the times when I [edited] up and get caught in a radar and now CV spotting.

No as someone that progressed I can tell yoy that hatsu plays very different. I massacred with hatsu (especially the old one) but the shima does not play the same.  if you want I can upload some good/bad/ugly replays in a diff forum to show you how I play.  i find my torp hit ratio is very dependend on game matchup as you are right the torps suck against cruisers but are not as bad against BBs as you think. (The random spread distribution is annoying though)

Members
64 posts
2,477 battles
12 hours ago, soko99 said:

I only launch from 16-20k at the start for area denial. I do close in and launch from 8-12.  I play objective not kills so if my torps will me someone turn to give broadside I will often do that even if I know most will get dodged. I tried the 12k one but found people outrunnng them too much and the slow speed of the 20km ones really confusing for them. I often have DDs end up trying to outrun them instead of angling away and eventually turning into them. Alternatively getting them coming around islands etc.

I used to have TA but swapped it for SE and RPF cause those help me a lot more in the DD vs DD fights or the times when I [edited] up and get caught in a radar and now CV spotting.

No as someone that progressed I can tell yoy that hatsu plays very different. I massacred with hatsu (especially the old one) but the shima does not play the same.  if you want I can upload some good/bad/ugly replays in a diff forum to show you how I play.  i find my torp hit ratio is very dependend on game matchup as you are right the torps suck against cruisers but are not as bad against BBs as you think. (The random spread distribution is annoying though)

I must admit I am intrigued. After I reach Kitakaze I will grind the Shimakaze. Thanks ;)