You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WhiteTulip

Hermes and Furious

36 comments in this topic

Members
627 posts
8,210 battles

I'm curious - how many others have played these two and find them very blah?

Hermes seems to have even less potential than Langly and Hosho. I got some better results with the improved planes on Furious, but still nothing to write home about. The rockets and the bombs seem particularly aimless (they go everywhere but where you aim them), and the torpedoes do very little damage. Admittedly, I haven't played many games in either one, so these are just initial impressions. But am I the only one that finds them even more tame than their USN and IJN counterparts?

[SALVO]
Members
22,374 posts
22,790 battles

I haven't played the Furious, don't have it yet.  But I have planed the Hermes.  Also, I haven't played the other tier 4 CVs post rework because I was past them, and had no desire to rebuy them for testing.  I will say that the Hermes' planes feel like crap.  I get that they're slow, and I guess that's OK.  They're ancient, slow, biplanes.  But their weapons are pathetic, with the possible exception of her torpedoes.  Those torps are slow as molasses, but fast enough to hit if properly aimed.  The rockets and bombs need to be buffed to the point that they're useful enough that you'd actually be willing to launch a rocket plane or bomber squadron rather than a torpedo squadron, because right now, it's not even close.  I've seen people suggesting to not even bother with anything other than torpedo bombers with the Hermes, and that's not good, IMO.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I haven't played the Furious, don't have it yet.  But I have planed the Hermes.  Also, I haven't played the other tier 4 CVs post rework because I was past them, and had no desire to rebuy them for testing.  I will say that the Hermes' planes feel like crap.  I get that they're slow, and I guess that's OK.  They're ancient, slow, biplanes.  But their weapons are pathetic, with the possible exception of her torpedoes.  Those torps are slow as molasses, but fast enough to hit if properly aimed.  The rockets and bombs need to be buffed to the point that they're useful enough that you'd actually be willing to launch a rocket plane or bomber squadron rather than a torpedo squadron, because right now, it's not even close.  I've seen people suggesting to not even bother with anything other than torpedo bombers with the Hermes, and that's not good, IMO.

The Langley and Hosho feel just as bad.  At least with the Hermes that 1 torpedo spread seems to hit stuff  most of the time.  But, tier 4 CVs are there to introduce the CV concept and not to show off the potential power of the class.

[SALVO]
Members
22,374 posts
22,790 battles
1 minute ago, galspanic said:

The Langley and Hosho feel just as bad.  At least with the Hermes that 1 torpedo spread seems to hit stuff  most of the time.  But, tier 4 CVs are there to introduce the CV concept and not to show off the potential power of the class.

Duh.  I get that.  But their different plane types should still each be good enough that you want to play them all, not just spam torp bombers all the time.  "Good enough" doesn't have to mean great.  But it does mean that they need to be better than they are now.  Just enough better that they feel on par with the torp bombers.

[NERO]
Members
3,629 posts

My only games in Furious were at bottom tier so none of my planes lived long enough to really feel like they're worth anything. Yay? 

I really want to get a taste for their unique bombing style too, assuming it's really all that different. Just need to actually get into a game at my own tier. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,090 posts
12,338 battles

Just got the Hermes and only have one match in it. The planes are much more survivable but with AA still being fubar that only helps a little and loses hurt more because of the small squadrons. The attack fighter rockets are very wimpy although they seem accurate so maybe that works out. The bombs seem to cause about the same damage per attack as the Langley DB's. The torpedoes though are wimpy even compared to the wimpy torpedoes on the Hosho and the Langley.

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
563 posts

One torpedo plane per attack run is meh at best . And they have a zero point drop range and still can't hit a ship with them.  Lol.Hermes to port queen status . Setting up drydock now. ...lol. the other two we shall see. ...

Edited by Versili

[SOFOP]
Members
1,437 posts
9,613 battles

What i like best about Hermes is the quick aiming time.  You can literally drop a torp on someone, make a hard turn, and within a few seconds you are back to torping them from the other side using the S key to slow way down.  If they don't have good short range AA, you can just unload on them for whatever damage you can do.  3 TBs in a flight (5 max capacity) so assuming you can regen 1 in that time, you really shouldn't run out of TBs if you are a little careful.  I really like the dive bomber animation on this as opposed to the IJN (I hate that one and it seems really inconsistent).

The DBs and attack planes do seem weak.  Not sure if there is a "trick" or a specific way to drop them to do more damage, but less than 1k for an attack run on average is blah.

The tier spread isn't bad for T4, but the CV can't really do much damage either (I can do around 40k but thats REALLY focusing).  T6 can get uptiered to T8...and at that point, good luck.  I don't know how they are going to balance it.

[AMWKS]
Modder
309 posts
3,932 battles

I played them pretty exclusively during the final test phase and I took a pretty good liking to them.  I don't want to say too much until I get a good number of games under my belt with the live versions.  I'll put as much game play as I can up on Twitch just to have some context on how they play.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
196 posts
8,796 battles

Hermes torpedo plans are very accurate and turn sharply, the fighters and dive bombers are very mediocre. The continuing problem is how brutally effective AA fire is. The stringbags flown by Hermes are so slow, linger so long in AA that your planes will get blown out of the sky very quickly. Attacking T3 ships is easy, T4 ships can be challenging,  but attacking T5 ships is all but impossible. I like the way this CV looks, for a T4 ship the torpedo planes are good -- but it sucks to play a whole game of getting AA shredded pressing home attacks in the hopes of getting a few K damage for  match.

Example, a T5 Konig BB broke through my teams non-existent defenses as I was playing close to the front line. Supposedly it has only an AA rating of like 12 or so -- but against Hermes planes? Death! DBs could get one attack before dying. TBs could get one drop before dying. Fighters could get 2 rocket passes before dying and the flak clouds were so heavy both rockets and DBs were easily jostled off target. Needless to say I died.

Edited by EasyEight

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,478 battles

Hermes is like the other tier IV carriers.  Planes are painfully slow, but have a good HP pool, and with the British CV’s, you can drop torpedos at point  blank range.  Bombers I haven’t quite figured out yet.  I’m finding you have to drop the bombs where the ship IS GOING TO BE, as opposed to dropping them on the ship.  I like  dive bombers better at this point, they’re easier for me to use.

[FF]
Members
315 posts
9,768 battles

furious has good rocket and torp planes. The torp planes can drop very close to target as the arming distance is very short. the bombers are lucky to get 2 hits even with perfect aim and approach. the new buffs will hopefully improve this.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,901 posts
5,750 battles

Level bombing is turning out to be rather lackluster for me. The whole point is that you don't get high damage bombs, but you drop a LOT of them. This is a decent idea in theory. Problem with that theory: The aiming reticle is ALWAYS bigger than the ship you're targeting so unless you line it up juuuust right and RNGsus is on your side you're only going to get one or two hits. I have yet to use them effectively on non-stationary targets, the reticle is so long that simply turning is often enough to avoid the majority of the drop even if the squadron hits dead-center. I'm not a fan.

Members
80 posts
2,321 battles

Hermes is utter crap, don't waste your resources on it. Torpedo Bombers drop one torpedo, dive bombers don't do damage. Only Rocket planes manage to to something.

[DENY]
Members
834 posts
9,870 battles
34 minutes ago, tinfoilpaperweight said:

Hermes is utter crap, don't waste your resources on it. Torpedo Bombers drop one torpedo, dive bombers don't do damage. Only Rocket planes manage to to something

Wrong the.torpedo are the only thing you can use

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,856 posts
11,501 battles
On 3/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, Landsraad said:

Level bombing is turning out to be rather lackluster for me. The whole point is that you don't get high damage bombs, but you drop a LOT of them. This is a decent idea in theory. Problem with that theory: The aiming reticle is ALWAYS bigger than the ship you're targeting so unless you line it up juuuust right and RNGsus is on your side you're only going to get one or two hits. I have yet to use them effectively on non-stationary targets, the reticle is so long that simply turning is often enough to avoid the majority of the drop even if the squadron hits dead-center. I'm not a fan.

try lining up at about 5km from the ship then start your attack. was able to get  4 out of 6 a few times in the furious, and even landed a 6 for 6 "ONCE:. DB for RN feel very lack luster and overly inconsistent like most dbs. Torps bombers feel pretty secure and on isolated targets getting a full series on a bb was possible. Less so on cruisers which fyi is a pain in the [edited]to hit.

[KREW]
Members
255 posts
9,819 battles

WG said they wanted to make CVs more user friendly so that beginning and average CV players could be better in them. Well, all I can say is EPIC FAIL!! I have used Langley, Hosho, Ranger, Hermes, and now Furious. The ONLY one that is can get even half-way decent games in is Hermes, and then just now and again and by using torpedoes only... in all CVs the rockets are a waste of time, as are the bombs (except the Hosho, where the AP bombs can do some damage). The torpedoes are the only weapons I have found that can be at all effective, and really only on the Hermes, by my experience. But dropping them one by one and getting small damage for each takes a lot of time to do anything.

I just got the Furious, and boy is it a total waste of time to play. I tried the attack plane first... the entire squadron was shredded b4 I got anywhere near a ship. Next the bombers... exactly the same result. Torp bombers next... managed to launch one torp b4 they all got shot down, and it did miserly damage. Over and over as I got anywhere near a ship (any ship) my planes just melted in walls of flak and steady AAA dps. What an utter waste of time CVs are now.

Maybe unicums can make them work, but for the average player (the one WG said they wanted to be able to use CVs better), these things are an absolute and utter waste of time. Squadrons shredded b4 you can launch a single attack, and even if you manage a launch, the damage is so slight as to be laughable. The new CV playstyle is a complete joke... and a barroom joke at that.

No wonder I rarely see CVs in my games anymore.

Members
53 posts
3,464 battles

They are no good. Shelved them in hopes some day they make them worth playing. If you play one now you are hurting your team. 

Beta Testers
23 posts

Tier 4 CV's in general are crap no matter which nation you're playing to be honest. Their damage is crap, torpedoes are slow, most ships in that tier can easily dodge you. The Furious I did like for a tier 6 but due to MM +2/-2 seeing tier 8's in that CV or any CV for that matter is not fun. The Implacable I have and I like it except for 90% of the time when I am in tier 9-10 battles and there isn't much I can do except hope some idiot on the enemy team goes off alone.

[AMWKS]
Modder
309 posts
3,932 battles

@GrflrglI did a mini-marathon on the Hermes and logged 20 games on her over a 2-day span.  Streamed it on Twitch so you can have a peek at what happened if you like.  Average damage was 42.6k.  The damage will swing wildly depending on the length of the game.  Those that went down to the wire were significantly higher, while very one-sided games resulted in half that damage.  The key is to use your dive bombers on cruisers instead of battleships.  The bombs simply don't have enough pen.  If you're lucky enough to have a 6 point captain for her, invest in demolition expert.  The extra 5% fire chance to HE bombs will increase your damage noticeably with them.

I'd have to go back to the Hosho and Langley and log some games post-rework before I can compare it to either of them.

Members
4 posts
7,641 battles

Just played first game with Hermes OMG what a waste of time, one plane at a time . Who was the Rocket scientist that thought this up and that it was acceptable game play. 

• Funny 1

[O_S_D]
Members
104 posts
10,178 battles

I will sell the Hermes as soon as I can.  I will be getting the Furious tomorrow just for the premium time and signals if nothing else.  At least at T6 I can use her and have results count towards daily missions.  The Hermes at T4 just isn't worth the time and effort.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
21,834 battles
5 hours ago, Zeus_cat said:

I will sell the Hermes as soon as I can.  I will be getting the Furious tomorrow just for the premium time and signals if nothing else.  At least at T6 I can use her and have results count towards daily missions.  The Hermes at T4 just isn't worth the time and effort.

This is my plan as well. I will hang on to Furious in case there is ever a need to use a UK CV for some mission. It will be nice to have her for any future "Snowflake" or similar events too. If you don't mind the new carrier play, hanging on to Hermes may make sense to unlock the tier 5 assuming they add odd tier carriers back into the game. It is the only reason I am hanging on to Langley.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
196 posts
8,796 battles

Just got the Furious. The Hurricanes are OK, but the Barracudas are carp. They are big, floaty, slow planes that get completely shredded by AA. I cannot get through AA with the Barracuda DBs, and the Barracuda TBs are lucky if they can get one drop off before getting burned out of the sky. Not impressed. The Hermes has been more fun with its super accurate TBs.

[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
196 posts
7,100 battles

Will the Brit CVs be included in the 'Naval Battles' in the near future?