Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordMoros

Laptop for WOWS, requirements?

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

6
[-UCS-]
Members
71 posts
8,238 battles

My buddy is looking to get a new laptop specifically to play world of warships, he is not sure what to get, and he is on a strict budget of $300.  Does anyone know if he can get what he needs to play world of warships for that? and if so where he could go to get said laptop?  He said that he doesn't mind playing on minimum settings, just that he wants to play again.  I did a quick search of the forums but didn't see any topics about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5,108 posts
9,327 battles

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

Here are the minimum and recommended requirements.  I would say the GTX 660 is underpowered for the current game.  I was having issues with my GTX 670 last August before I got my GTX 1080.  An onboard Intel graphics chip will not be enough - really needs a nVidia or Radeon mobile GPU. 

IMHO - it is going to be difficult to find a decent playing experience with a laptop:

https://laptop.ninja/finding-the-best-cheap-gaming-laptops-under-300/

He might have to go with a refurb unit from Best Buy or Microcenter.  Also note - the OS is going to have to be a 64 bit - they have dropped 32 bit OS support to get ready for the 64 bit client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[-UCS-]
Members
71 posts
8,238 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

Here are the minimum and recommended requirements.  I would say the GTX 660 is underpowered for the current game.  I was having issues with my GTX 670 last August before I got my GTX 1080.  An onboard Intel graphics chip will not be enough - really needs a nVidia or Radeon mobile GPU. 

IMHO - it is going to be difficult to find a decent playing experience with a laptop:

https://laptop.ninja/finding-the-best-cheap-gaming-laptops-under-300/

He might have to go with a refurb unit from Best Buy or Microcenter.  Also note - the OS is going to have to be a 64 bit - they have dropped 32 bit OS support to get ready for the 64 bit client.

Thank you for the quick response, I'll pass along the info to him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,688
[WOLF5]
Members
3,404 posts
3,540 battles

Oof, $300 is going to be tricky. You don't need a dedicated graphics card, that I do know from experience. The higher end integrated cards will run the game at 30 FPS on medium settings, which looks fine and certainly playable. You want a decent sized hardrive, and enough RAM (WOWS says 4 is the min, but I 8 is probably better with an integrated chip). The processor should be respectable, and the combination should work. I played on a 6th gen i5, 8GB RAM, with 1TB HDD and the integrated graphics. No issues at medium settings. That was around $400 new (3 or 4 years ago now). So if you really go bare bones on the other options, you might be able to make it work. Obviously used is a whole other ballgame, though make sure it's 64 bit system.

I do know that the most basics laptops are around $200, but they barely run Office, much less any game more than solitaire. I don't know if you can get something new that can handle WOWS maxing out at $300. Probably going to have to do some shopping around.

You said that it's only for WOWS, so other uses I guess aren't a concern. Good luck, I think you guys have some work to to. Used might be your best option. I know once you start raising budgets, things can inflate quick, but I really think upping it to $400 would give you some solid options. A $400 cap would get you a solid machine easily IMO. $300 is going to be harder, though I'd imagine if you look enough you can find something.

One last thing, get a mouse. The game is nigh impossible with a good trackpad, and it's unplayable on the dinky trackpads on lower end laptops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,243 posts
4,969 battles

About four years ago I bought a refurbished Acer Aspire E5 model refurbished with a decent Intel i7 (4712MQ), Nvidia 940m, 8gb ram, and 1tb hard drive. It wasn't amazing, but it played WOWS at maximum settings around 30-60 fps depending on the connection. The only downside of it was that the screen resolution was 1366×750 which made the UI seem crowded at times. The good news is I bought it around $400, which means it would be cheaper now and you might even be able to find a newer generation for a lower price.

Acer Aspire E5-572G-72M5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[-UCS-]
Members
71 posts
8,238 battles

Thank you all for the response's, I'll be sure to pass along the info/suggestions to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,787
[WORX]
Members
9,015 posts
17,157 battles
11 minutes ago, LordMoros said:

Thank you all for the response's, I'll be sure to pass along the info/suggestions to him.

FOr $300 bucks he is not going to make it in the laptop Dept.

 

You well need

  • minimum 8 GB to 16 GB of ram (4 GB machines are no longer supported for gaming)
  •  A 1060GTX graphics card ( I would not even go lower then that)
  • I7 core CPU min. .. (WOWS is a %50 GPU and a %50 CPU usage game)
  • 64 bit OS ( 32 bit OS is no longer supported).

based on this... Spend the Minimum $1,100. I haven;t touched on screen size, HD size... I mean laptops are expensive for gaming.

 

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63
[QQ7]
Members
491 posts
3,737 battles
40 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

FOr $300 bucks he is not going to make it in the laptop Dept.

 

You well need

  • minimum 8 GB to 16 GB of ram (4 GB machines are no longer supported for gaming)
  •  A 1060GTX graphics card ( I would not even go lower then that)
  • I7 core CPU min. .. (WOWS is a %50 GPU and a %50 CPU usage game)
  • 64 bit OS ( 32 bit OS is no longer supported).

based on this... Spend the Minimum $1,100. I haven;t touched on screen size, HD size... I mean laptops are expensive for gaming.

 

I agree.

 

Laptops are getting more expensive these days.. though mostly gaming laptops. It's better to just build a desktop anyway like I did, but spent roughly $1,900 and built my desktop myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,645
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,451 posts
31 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:
  •  A 1060GTX graphics card ( I would not even go lower then that)
  • I7 core CPU min. .. (WOWS is a %50 GPU and a %50 CPU usage game)

I agree that 8 GB RAM and a 64-bit OS are required.

However, you don't need an I7 to run WOWS, an I5 will do just fine. I'm running a Phenom II 965 and it is only at about 33% capacity while in the game. I'm also running a Radeon 6850 and it does just fine too on medium settings.

Of course, the bigger the better but WOWS actually runs well on very moderate systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,787
[WORX]
Members
9,015 posts
17,157 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

an I5 will do just fine

For now... Money wise if he can get an I7 for cheap in a CPU heavy usage as WOWS, go for it... I don;t  see I5 surviving much time. If I was a I5 gamer/WOWS laptop user, I would look for either a CPU upgrade OR a new laptop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,676 posts
14,434 battles

Tell him to save his money and wait because he's not going to get anything that works or plays smoothly for $300.00 unless he gets lucky and finds a used laptop with i5, 8G Ram and a fairy decent graphics card. 

He is more likely to find a used desktop with specs for the price (excluding monitor)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[-UCS-]
Members
71 posts
8,238 battles

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have advised him to save up for a new system for a while now, its just taking him a while to save up.  I will pass along all the suggestions, its up to him what he will do in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,821 battles

I play on a MSI GP72 that's a couple of years old now. Core i7, GTX 950M, 8GB DDR3 and am still getting 50-60 FPS on medium/high settings. The only time I notice any frame rate degradation is if I'm zoomed in on a target that is on fire, surrounded by shell splashes, smoke, secondary/AA guns firing, etc... basically conditions that put a lot of effects on the screen at once. Even then it is quite tolerable and does not effect my gameplay. 

I thought about upgrading to a new system with a better graphics card over X-mas, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money b/c I'm still very much pleased with the way my current laptop performs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
608
Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

FOr $300 bucks he is not going to make it in the laptop Dept.

 

You well need

  • minimum 8 GB to 16 GB of ram (4 GB machines are no longer supported for gaming)
  •  A 1060GTX graphics card ( I would not even go lower then that)
  • I7 core CPU min. .. (WOWS is a %50 GPU and a %50 CPU usage game)
  • 64 bit OS ( 32 bit OS is no longer supported).

based on this... Spend the Minimum $1,100. I haven;t touched on screen size, HD size... I mean laptops are expensive for gaming.

 

Pfft... I think you may be a bit spoiled if you think these are the minimum hardware you need to play WoWs.

I'm playing WoWs on a 7 year old, second-hand laptop with:

  • 3rd gen. Intel i7 3630QM 2.4Ghz
  • 8gb RAM
  • And Nvidia GT 635M

In fact, I have a bad VRM that actually prevents me from using the graphics card altogether, so I play with the onboard graphics accelerator that comes packed with the CPU itself.

And despite that, I still run a stable 40fps at med-to-low settings (oh and the CPU load is only 6-7%). Back when I was able to use the GPU, I'd get 70 fps at med-to-high settings.

WoWs is certainly not a system intensive game and it doesn't exactly have the best graphics out there, so even at low settings you aren't missing much but a few eye candies.

That's just bad advice, you're giving bad advice; $300 is certainly enough for a second-hand laptop to play WoWs with.

Heck, I actually found one that's better than mine after 5mins of search on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovon-Thinkpad-W540-i7-4800U-2-7GHz-256GB-SSD-8GB-Ram/163525545952?epid=206909401&hash=item2612e1cfe0:g:qEcAAOSwIkNcWIX6&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

@LordMoros if you lend $50 to your friend he can have a decent laptop for some light gaming within the week (although it needs to be upgraded to Win10, but that's easy enough).

 

 

Edited by yacskn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,787
[WORX]
Members
9,015 posts
17,157 battles
11 minutes ago, yacskn said:

$300 is certainly enough for a second-hand laptop to play WoWs with. Heck, I actually found one that's better than mine after 5mins of search on eBay.
 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovon-Thinkpad-W540-i7-4800U-2-7GHz-256GB-SSD-8GB-Ram/163525545952?epid=206909401&hash=item2612e1cfe0:g:qEcAAOSwIkNcWIX6&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

One problem I see with this recommendation... It doesn't state if its a 32bit OS or a 64 bit OS, only that its OS is Win7...

One has to think how long will a $350 laptop last with a game with ever lasting upgrades. IMO, price/longevity over cheap and convenience. I wish I was spoiled but sometimes reality hits... I for one hate to be shopping for a laptop every 6 mts. :P

 

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
844
[INTEL]
Members
2,732 posts
14,685 battles
5 minutes ago, yacskn said:

Pfft... I think you may be a bit spoiled if you think these are the minimum hardware you need to play WoWs.

I'm playing WoWs on a 7 year old, second-hand laptop with:

  • 3rd gen. Intel i7 3630QM 2.4Ghz
  • 8gb RAM
  • And Nvidia GT 635M

In fact, I have a bad VRM that actually prevents me from using the graphics card altogether, so I play with the onboard graphics accelerator that comes packed with the CPU itself.

And despite that, I still run a stable 40fps at med-to-low settings. Back when I was able to use the GPU, I'd get 70 fps at med-to-high settings.

WoWs is certainly not a system intensive game and it doesn't exactly have the best graphics out there, so even at low settings you aren't missing much but a few eye candies.

$300 is certainly enough for a second-hand laptop to play WoWs with.

Heck, I actually found one that's better than mine after 5mins of search on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovon-Thinkpad-W540-i7-4800U-2-7GHz-256GB-SSD-8GB-Ram/163525545952?epid=206909401&hash=item2612e1cfe0:g:qEcAAOSwIkNcWIX6&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

@LordMoros if you lend $50 to your friend he can have a decent laptop for some light gaming within the week.

 

 

Same here.  I have a circa 2012 Dell laptop with Intel integrated graphics and similar specs to yours above that works.  It runs at 30 fps reliably and much of the time more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
844
[INTEL]
Members
2,732 posts
14,685 battles
4 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Same here.  I have a circa 2012 Dell laptop with Intel integrated graphics and similar specs to yours above that works.  It runs at 30 fps reliably and much of the time more.

This is pretty close to what I have

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-E6420-Processor-Professional-Integrated/dp/B00XGYP7UU/ref=sr_1_11?qid=1551731226&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A2224373011%2Cp_36%3A20000-30000%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A7817224011&rnid=2257851011&s=pc&sr=1-11

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
608
Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

One problem I see with this recommendation... It doesn't state if its a 32bit OS or a 64 bit OS, only that its OS is Win7...

One has to think how long will a $350 laptop last with a game with ever lasting upgrades. IMO, price/longevity over cheap and convenience. I wish I was spoiled but sometimes reality hits... I for one hit to be shopping for a laptop every 6 mts. :P

 

I've been using it for 3 years and gaming hard almost on a daily basis, previous owner also used it for gaming.

The VRM issue developed due to overheating over a period of 3 years, but then again the climate is hot here and I have no AC. Putting it on a table and a strategic placing of a fan could've helped with that.

The only repair I've done in that time was to replace the cooling fan (which is like 10 bucks) twice because the bearings had become wonky. That was because I use the laptop on my lap rather than on a table and it gets moved and shaked a lot.

If I buy a laptop and it lasts 3 years (new or used) without a major hassle for less than $300, that's a good [edited] deal in my book. That's 3 years of gaming for the price of 2 dozen large pizzas.

As for the OS, it needs to be upgraded to Win10 64-bit. Easy enough to do, there are videos on YouTube on how to do it. Or a computer shop/computer guy can do it for a fee.

Edited by yacskn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[BOTO]
Members
1,088 posts
13,709 battles
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

FOr $300 bucks he is not going to make it in the laptop Dept.

 

You well need

  • minimum 8 GB to 16 GB of ram (4 GB machines are no longer supported for gaming)
  •  A 1060GTX graphics card ( I would not even go lower then that)
  • I7 core CPU min. .. (WOWS is a %50 GPU and a %50 CPU usage game)
  • 64 bit OS ( 32 bit OS is no longer supported).

based on this... Spend the Minimum $1,100. I haven;t touched on screen size, HD size... I mean laptops are expensive for gaming.

 

Absolutley not.  You don't need half of this to run WoWs at completely acceptable frame rates.  I ran it just fine on my old GTX460 2gb card.  You keep posting these specs for desktops and even for a desktop this is far more than what you would need.  I can build a $700 desktop that would run WoWs at max settings just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,787
[WORX]
Members
9,015 posts
17,157 battles
2 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

I can build a $700 desktop that would run WoWs at max settings just fine.

Good for you if you love to spend money... The client (the OP) on the other hand has different priorities... IF he can get my minimum specs for cheap, even better. Realistically, lets be real now...

A gaming laptop for a never ending upgrades like WOWS... Depending on area availability of parts and the prices, will cost you more then say a desktop with the same specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,219 battles
2 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

I play on a MSI GP72 that's a couple of years old now. Core i7, GTX 950M, 8GB DDR3 and am still getting 50-60 FPS on medium/high settings. The only time I notice any frame rate degradation is if I'm zoomed in on a target that is on fire, surrounded by shell splashes, smoke, secondary/AA guns firing, etc... basically conditions that put a lot of effects on the screen at once. Even then it is quite tolerable and does not effect my gameplay. 

I thought about upgrading to a new system with a better graphics card over X-mas, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money b/c I'm still very much pleased with the way my current laptop performs.

I went the same route when my Asus went down on Christmas Day (yeah...that was a fun 2 weeks trying to find a replacement lol)...I went with the 1050ti, and on Max you can see mid 60s-70s FPS..so you're not going to see a real return if you step up to the next one past that...I think this game limits out at like 70s or so if you don't have a 120hz screen doesn't it?

OP...I know it's going to be over his budget a hair, but he may look for an Acer...especially if he can wait till August or so when the back to school specials come back around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[WOLF9]
Members
190 posts
8,422 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

You well need

  • minimum 8 GB to 16 GB of ram (4 GB machines are no longer supported for gaming)
  •  A 1060GTX graphics card ( I would not even go lower then that)
  • I7 core CPU min. .. (WOWS is a %50 GPU and a %50 CPU usage game)
  • 64 bit OS ( 32 bit OS is no longer supported).

based on this... Spend the Minimum $1,100. I haven;t touched on screen size, HD size... I mean laptops are expensive for gaming.

FYI: I play on a laptop with an Nvidia 1050 and I have no complaints.  I agree 8gb is the lowest you should get for any modern PC/Laptop, and there is no sane reason to get a 32bit mass market OS (Windows and Mac) period.  Intel Core i5's are fine, i.e. you won't notice a difference between an i5 and an i7 with comparable clock speeds. (EDIT: excepting the 'mobile' versions of each (typically ends in a 'Y').  Get as much CPU and GPU as you can though, the more you get the happier you'll be

 

Abbye

Edited by Abbye
Added 'Y' model caveat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
608
Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
48 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Good for you if you love to spend money... The client (the OP) on the other hand has different priorities... IF he can get my minimum specs for cheap, even better. Realistically, lets be real now...

2

Correct.

Except you were the one that told him to spend a minimum of $1100, when it's been made clear that the budget is $300.

At least we're trying to be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,787
[WORX]
Members
9,015 posts
17,157 battles
1 minute ago, yacskn said:

At least we're trying to be helpful.

and I was more realistic with the same mutual goal in mind :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×