You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Naval Battles: The Mystery of Clan Rating

23 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

For the first weekend of the new Naval Battles competition, Rogue Fleet was matched up against a EU Clan.  We won by a score of 116 stars to 85.

This awarded us 244 rating points, which at the time was good for 19th in the world and 4th on the North American server.  Several of the clans ranked in front of us had earned fewer stars and several behind us had earned more, so it was a bit of a puzzle.

For the second weekend we were matched up against another EU clan.  We won by a score of 118 to 100.

This awarded us 158 additional ratings points for a total of 402.  We are now nowhere near the top of the ratings, with the highest ranked clans having nearly 500 points.

So how do ratings work?  A few thoughts:

It's clearly not simply how many stars your clan earned.

Margin of victory may be important.  That could explain why our first week earned us so many more points than our second, in spite of our second week being an objectively better performance.

Relative ranking between your clan and your opponent may matter.  Like in Clan Battles: Beating a team in a higher league than yours might earn you 25 points, whereas beating a team in a lower league might only earn you 15.  If this is the case, everyone was on even footing for the first week, but we were ranked higher than our week two opponent and as such got fewer points for beating them.

Anyone else want to share your clan's results, so we can see if we can figure this out?

• Cool 2

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
19,150 battles

I asked @iKami if he could provide some insight into this as well because our experience mirrors yours in R-F.

Week 1 we received 244 points for an 87 to 55 win over a CIS clan.  They were Typhoon category in CB.

Week 2 we received 162 points for an 85 to 75 win over a different CIS clan.  They were a Hurricane level clan.

We are sitting at 406 points, and based on our results, it definitely supports your idea that the margin of victory has some value in the ranking points awarded.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
4 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I asked @iKami if he could provide some insight into this as well because our experience mirrors yours in R-F.

Week 1 we received 244 points for an 87 to 55 win over a CIS clan.  They were Typhoon category in CB.

Week 2 we received 162 points for an 85 to 75 win over a different CIS clan.  They were a Hurricane level clan.

We are sitting at 406 points, and based on our results, it definitely supports your idea that the margin of victory has some value in the ranking points awarded.

So in week one you earned 244 points for a 32 point margin of victory, which was nearly identical to our 244 points for a 31 point margin of victory.  That put both our clans tied in the overall ratings, near the top.

In week two our 18 point margin of victory earned us 158 points whereas your 10 point margin of victory earned you 162 points.  So by margin of victory alone we should have expected to earn more points than you in week two.  This suggests that there's some sort of strength-of-competition metric in play which judged your opponent to be stronger than hours.

Thanks for providing more info.

[KSE]
1,732 posts
19,150 battles

Someone mentioned the efficiency of the players as a possible point source, having people do more stars in their efforts ( like players getting 7-10 stars for their 10 efforts versus people only getting 5 stars for their 10 efforts ).  I honestly don't get it, but hopefully, if enough clans post their info, we might get a trendline to follow.  Or @iKami could just tell us and save us the effort.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,462 posts
14,950 battles

Simple concept, made far more complicated that it needed to be.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
3 minutes ago, Colonel_Vernon said:

Our clan had guys winning and not getting stars for the win.  No reply to the tickets.

I assume they checked to make sure they had attempts enabled?  What showed in the individual results page, anything?  Or was it like the battle never happened?

[SAMPS]
Members
42 posts
7,909 battles
6 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I assume they checked to make sure they had attempts enabled?  What showed in the individual results page, anything?  Or was it like the battle never happened?

Yes, the guy in question is competent.  I asked to make sure.  I know some are idiots, not this one.  Nothing was credited, it was just like it was a regular battle.

Edited by Colonel_Vernon

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles

Here's my thoughts on the matter:

1. Difference in stars earned
2. Number of players who made sure to enable the count (has to be done every week)
3. Average stars earned by all players who enabled the count

These are just ideas as to what could affect the rating.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
1 minute ago, Colonel_Vernon said:

Yes, the guy in question is competent.  I asked to make sure.  I know some are idiots, not this one.  Nothing was credited, it was just like it was a regular battle.

Did he surpass the Base Experience Threshold? 300/900/1500/1550, etc. (I don't know what's beyond 1550, my clan has yet to make it past that point).

So if one needs to get 1600, and you only make 1500 base experience, you will not be given a star.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
1 minute ago, Counter_Gambit said:

(I don't know what's beyond 1550, my clan has yet to make it past that point).

After 1500 it just keeps going up by 50 each time.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
14 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Here's my thoughts on the matter:

1. Difference in stars earned
2. Number of players who made sure to enable the count (has to be done every week)
3. Average stars earned by all players who enabled the count

These are just ideas as to what could affect the rating.

OH, some other possibilities:

4. Number of categories completed
5. Number of times a specific category was completed.

So for all we know, spreading the love to all eligible ships, rather than specific ships, could produce a higher rating, OR, completing a specific category more times, than spreading the love around could produce a higher rating.

[KSE]
1,732 posts
19,150 battles

So, I have pinged @iKami 5 times about this rating - and so far no info has been forthcoming.  If the question had revolved around how to buy the Exeter, @Radar_X would have supplied detailed instructions on how to link my future 401K account to Wargaming's bank in Cyprus to get it done....

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
9 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

So, I have pinged @iKami 5 times about this rating - and so far no info has been forthcoming.  If the question had revolved around how to buy the Exeter, @Radar_X would have supplied detailed instructions on how to link my future 401K account to Wargaming's bank in Cyprus to get it done....

WG's policy has always been not to reveal the EXACT formula for how things like base experience are awarded, because they want people to play the game, not try to game the system.  However the fact that this rating is so confusing is not a good thing.  Literally none of us know why our clan is near the top, or near the bottom, or switched from the top to the bottom.  Kind of makes the whole exercise feel futile, which is too bad because overall I think we've been enjoying the first new clan-based activity that's entered the game since Clan Battles.

[PVE]
Members
20,164 posts
13,050 battles
5 hours ago, Colonel_Vernon said:

Our clan had guys winning and not getting stars for the win.  No reply to the tickets.

5 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

4 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Did he surpass the Base Experience Threshold? 300/900/1500/1550, etc. (I don't know what's beyond 1550, my clan has yet to make it past that point).

So if one needs to get 1600, and you only make 1500 base experience, you will not be given a star.

Besides the items above, was he using a qualified ship? The Anshan and Loyang premiums count as there is a Pan-Asian DD line. But the T1 Chengan tech tree, Huanghe and Irian premiums don't count as there is no PA cruiser line. Same thing for French DDs, RU BBs, UK CVs, Graf Zeppelin, Poland, Italy, Pan-Am, and Commonwealth. Now when the UK full CV line is released with 8.2 scheduled for Mar 27th, then UK CVs will count. Same thing for the RU BBs when they are released as a full line.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
11 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I posted a thread in the Support section that discusses this.

#anchorsaweigh

Good to see that the bug is being looked into.  Do you have any insight on the nature of the rating system, bugs aside?

WG Staff
1,803 posts
11,084 battles
5 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Good to see that the bug is being looked into.  Do you have any insight on the nature of the rating system, bugs aside?

I'm not entirely sure either, but I can ask the QA team for support on finding out how the rating system is calculated!

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I posted a thread in the Support section that discusses this.

#anchorsaweigh

glad to hear that bug is being looked into. I'm also glad to say that my clan hasn't experienced this yet, fingers crossed that we never do.

• Cool 1