Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Awe5ome

Exeter Review

13 comments in this topic

[CFOA]
Members
15 posts
3,448 battles

HMS EXETER

Review

?imw=1024&imh=640&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Exeter (V) is one of the newcomers to World of Warships and an exceptional one at that. Here is my review of Exeter. 

Similar ships:

Furutaka (V) - Probably the most similar in terms of in gameplay style and feel. Furutaka like Exeter is a T5 ship with six 203mm (8") guns in 3 turrets. Both have long reload times but this is compensated for by the fact they can overmatch the bow and stern of other T5 cruisers.

Aoba (VI) - The T6 Aoba shares many things in common with Exeter, however, those are already listed above.

Leander (VI) - Those of you who are familiar with the British cruiser line will know how fragile they are and this holds true for Exeter. Both Leander and Exeter have to be careful not to get caught out in the open without a meat shield. Both are also VERY weakly armoured.

Survivability:

3B888FB9E0EF5AA70E312C27D07ACA270DB83DCC34796015500C5B5EF27BBC93ACA6EE567652D65F

(Fig top left: Exeter's armour layout, Fig top right: Exeter's citadel armour)

Hit Points: 29,400

Torpedo Reduction: 4%

Amount Healed from 1 use of Repair Party: 4,116hp

Amount Healed after all Heals used: 16,464hp (superintendent included)

Exeter pathetically light armour actually works well for her in this instance, because of her small citadel and light armour she takes a lot of over-penetration and HE damage but is rarely citadelled. Still sailing broadside is not recommended unless you want to reenact the second battle of the Java Sea. If you are playing Exeter think of yourself as a light cruiser with big guns. Fight enemy light cruisers and destroyers then kite away from battleships and heavy cruisers of higher tiers. If you are the person shooting at an Exeter know you will over-penetrate that cruiser and hope that you catch one while it's angling.

Artillery:

?imw=1024&imh=640&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true      

(Fig above: Exeter aiming her 8" guns)

Main Battery: Six 203mm guns in 3 dual turrets

Secondary Battery: Eight 102mm guns in 4 dual turrets

Main Battery Firing Range: 14.3km

Exeter's firepower for a T5 ship is exceptionally powerful the guns have a long range of fire and with the help of the "Adrenaline Rush" perk the reload of these guns can get down to ~13s. The guns have really good sigma values and are capable of accurately hitting targets even at maximum range. The shell velocity is also decent, 855m/s for AP and HE means Exeter doesn't have to adjust her lead when switching between ammo types. Finally, we have a British cruiser with HE (ex. Belfast) and with a fire chance of 15% she will light ships up quickly. This all means that regardless of the circumstances Exeter is always able to effectively strike back.

Torpedoes:

CB051A6008F9D0C8F6BCBFC4AC3B2B9D5262B8CC

(Fig above: Firing arcs of Exeter's Torpedo tubes)

Torpedoes: 3x2 torpedo tubes

Torpedo speed: 61kts

Torpedo range: 8km

Max Torpedo damage:  15,867hp

Exeter's rather small but deadly torpedoes are a force to be reckoned with, each one is quick travels for a decent range and hits for lots of damage. The quick reload time of 72s also helps with the rather small amount of torpedoes. And of course like all British things with torpedoes they can either be fired off in a narrow spread or can be single launched.

AA Defense:

2x4 12.7mm AA guns

2x8 40mm vickers AA guns

4x2 102mm dual purpose mounts

Exeter's weak spot is her AA defences, simply put: she don't have none. But Exeter does have access to the fighter consumable which helps greatly with the AA attacks launched by enemy aircraft carriers. Don't spec into AA defences because she won't ever be good enough.

Maneuverability: (flags not included)

Top Speed: 32kts

Turning Radius: 650m

Rudder Shift Time: 8.4s

Exeter is a very maneuverable ship with a combination of good rudder shift and small turning circle Exeter is quite good at trolling enemy battleships (just hope you don't run into Hood). I highly encourage you to take the propulsion modification for the second upgrade because sitting dead in the water is not good when enemy battleships can see you. Just keep moving and keep shooting make yourself a hard target to hit and Exeter will reward you well.

Concealment: (camo and concealment expert are included)

Detectability by sea: 9.6km

Detectability by air: 5.1km

Detectability when firing in smoke: 6.1km

Exeter is extremely stealthy she can out spot just about every other T5 cruiser giving her a considerable advantage in a gunfight. She also doesn't receive the same smoke firing penalty that cruisers of other nations get. Exeter is best used pushing in spotting making a few salvoes than kiting away to restore HP lost. Using her concealment to wear down enemies over time or if it's a 1v1 one engagement Exeter should try and close to medium to short range and just demolish the enemies with her guns and torpedoes.

Consumables:

R= Damage Control Party I/II

T= Repair Party I/II

Y= Hydroacoustic Search I/II

U= Fighter Aircraft I/II 

Upgrades: (my recommended upgrades)

slot 1: Main Armaments Mod 1

slot 2: Propulsion Mod 1

slot 3: Aiming Systems Mod 1

Captain skills: (Again this is MY build you can do whatever you wish to it)

T1: Priority Target - Because I like to know how many people are trying to make me their next meal

T2: Adrenalin Rush - For faster reload

T3: Superintendent  - To Heal more HP

T4: Concealment Expert - To make full use of her amazing concealment

Personal thoughts:

I like this bote, packs a good punch and it's fun. I would highly recommend if you like the British cruisers but felt like the small calibre was underwhelming or if you were frustrated by the lack of High Explosive shells that you pick up this bote. There are very few things Exeter is bad at and she all around is just an absolute joy to play.

f5ed8b61442b291ce583d3c44bb9a4c7.jpg

Thank you for reading, if the words I put down don't make sense in some places it's because I'm running on 5 cups of coffee and I don't think my 6th will help. I'm tired writing this so yeah... other than that let me know what you think of Exeter, you going to buy her? Grind her? Different build? Let me know! I love hearing about others ideas, and until next time take care, stay warm (my fellow Canadians) and have a good day!

• Cool 9

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
19,850 battles

Been winning with her often , good fun ship in tier 5 and 6 battles......

[CFOA]
Members
15 posts
3,448 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Very nicely done review. +1

Thanks your compliments are much appreciated! :D

Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles

image.thumb.png.2481ad31ea241158a1e916317829290e.png

Hey

This was my first game with the Exeter; good for 3rd place, notice the number of planes it shot down.  She's fragile, but quite fun too.

Pete

Members
16 posts
13,144 battles

Thanks for the review but.......

For background, I've been playing this game for over two years.  I have more than 20 premium ships and forty ships in port total.   Of all of them I have never been as dissapointed with any ship as much as I have been with the Exeter.  (although the Campeltown is close) The rate of fire is just so pathetic that in the tier 7 matches this ship so often sees, it just gets eaten alive.  I would rather play the Graff Spee which has similar characteristics.  At least that one has enough torps to be useful.

Despite the opinions of the OP,  The only thing I've had good luck with in this ship is shooting down aircraft.   I do have a 16 point captain in it currently with the Captain skill that buffs the R.O F of small caliber guns 10% (forget what it's called)  and I usually run the signal flag for AA buff.  So I had no trouble accumulating the 30 A/C shot down for the first stage of the Exeter event.

I saw a "review" on you tube where a community contributer who I usually like went gushing over on how overpowered this ship was.  Well I think that WG must have seen it because they Nerfed the crap out of this thing from its test version.

I really hope WG buffs the R.O F on this thing soon (even 1 second would help) or give us the smoke capability back or something.  My usual win rating in random has been running around 54% but so far out of the 20 or so matches I've been in with this, have only won two.

Sorry to come off as a whiner, but this is what my experience has been.  

Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles
40 minutes ago, IronBottom24 said:

Thanks for the review but.......

For background, I've been playing this game for over two years.  I have more than 20 premium ships and forty ships in port total.   Of all of them I have never been as dissapointed with any ship as much as I have been with the Exeter.  (although the Campeltown is close) The rate of fire is just so pathetic that in the tier 7 matches this ship so often sees, it just gets eaten alive.  I would rather play the Graff Spee which has similar characteristics.  At least that one has enough torps to be useful.

Despite the opinions of the OP,  The only thing I've had good luck with in this ship is shooting down aircraft.   I do have a 16 point captain in it currently with the Captain skill that buffs the R.O F of small caliber guns 10% (forget what it's called)  and I usually run the signal flag for AA buff.  So I had no trouble accumulating the 30 A/C shot down for the first stage of the Exeter event.

I saw a "review" on you tube where a community contributer who I usually like went gushing over on how overpowered this ship was.  Well I think that WG must have seen it because they Nerfed the crap out of this thing from its test version.

I really hope WG buffs the R.O F on this thing soon (even 1 second would help) or give us the smoke capability back or something.  My usual win rating in random has been running around 54% but so far out of the 20 or so matches I've been in with this, have only won two.

Sorry to come off as a whiner, but this is what my experience has been.  

Hey

I have to agree the ROF could stand to be increased a bit, 2-3 seconds would be good considering the gun count.  I have just a 10pt capt. with PT, EM, SI, CE.  She's fragile but fun, I was surprised by my AA count, seemed like planes were never ending with 2 carriers each side.

Pete

[BB68]
Members
35 posts
5,486 battles

Ahoy mates,

Just bought the Exeter and played my first game in her, in Coop... I already love her. I'm a cruiser guy, and this is one fun little tier 5. Here's the results of my very first battle. I took out a BB, 2 CL's, and severely damaged another BB, plus took top score for the game. Not too shabby for a first run. I think I'm going to like her.  ;)

shot-19.03.02_19.04.48-0182.jpg

shot-19.03.02_19.04.52-0375.jpg

shot-19.03.02_19.04.56-0896.jpg

shot-19.03.02_19.04.59-0227.jpg

Edited by FuBard123
spelling errors and grammer

Members
16 posts
13,144 battles

I have an addendum to my comments yesterday.  Played 10 more games in Random to finish the exeter events.  Had 6 losses and four wins.  The ship itself in my opinion is not great but not too bad if you play with a certain play style.  Yesterday I seamed to have a bad run of teammates who were "less skilled" (potatoes).  I'd go in towards a cap with 2 or three ships in support and my teamates tended to bug out as soon as any fire began.  This ship is terribly unforgiving of being anywhere alone.  also the rate of fire is so bad that if you are caught by almost any other ship at close range, you are pretty much toast unless they are dumb enough to run into one of your 3 torps or give you perfect braodsides. 

I had a one vs one encounter on 3 occasions with ships with similar amounts of health left and tier 5's.  A Omaha, a Okhotnik and a Konigsberg.  In all three cases I died long before being able to kill them.  In the case of the Okhotnick, I almost killed him but was forced to run away leaving only 2 slow guns aft to shoot with. (that dd can fire 12 torps but only to 4.5 kms so you cant allow him to get close).   The problem with slow rate of fire, big gun ships is that any misses hurt you worse than misses by ships with a high rate of fire.

In summary if you dont mind hanging in the rear firing at max range in support of a larger group then this ship can be fun and make a contribution to winning.  Unfortunately, personally that kind of passive play style is just not to my liking.

[-AJ-]
Members
24 posts
660 battles

Nice review, well written. Definitely interested in getting the Exeter, will wait until the standalone bundle arrives for it though.

Sign in to follow this