13,793 battles

tviELDl.gif

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[SUNK]
Members
43 posts
6,880 battles

The only thing I can't stand about the Alaska is the 1mil XP cost. HMS Conquerer costs 255000 xp to research, I can research the ship almost 4 times for the same amount of XP. I wouldn't mind if Alaska was the previously standard 750K price point, but I can't get behind the extra 250,000. I don't think it's worth that much really. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

• Cool 2

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
208 posts
9,410 battles

With 1 Million FXP, I might as well purchase Alaska in 1867 from the Russian Empire.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[MOH]
Members
499 posts
1,880 battles

The 1M price tag is steep, but you also earn a lot more free XP these days, so it's all relative.  In other words, you have to look at it in reverse.  The Alaska costs just as much as the Musashi (relatively speaking), and the Nelson is now cheaper than she was before.

• Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
5 minutes ago, Ranari said:

The 1M price tag is steep, but you also earn a lot more free XP these days, so it's all relative.  In other words, you have to look at it in reverse.  The Alaska costs just as much as the Musashi (relatively speaking), and the Nelson is now cheaper than she was before.

I would argue that FXP has been cheapened so much by the addition of various premium ships that earn bonus FXP, various consumable camouflages and various flags, that Alaska's 1m FXP is considerably easier and quicker to farm than Missouri's 750k, when she first came out.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[MOH]
Members
499 posts
1,880 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

I would argue that FXP has been cheapened so much by the addition of various premium ships that earn bonus FXP, various consumable camouflages and various flags, that Alaska's 1m FXP is considerably easier and quicker to farm than Missouri's 750k, when she first came out.

Aye.  I mean, I know I was sitting in the 200k FXP range back in November, and I can buy her now.  FXP ships are meant to be pricey, but just like their namesake implies; free. 

• Bad 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,097 posts
7,105 battles
1 hour ago, Archimiedes said:

The only thing I can't stand about the Alaska is the 1mil XP cost. HMS Conquerer costs 255000 xp to research, I can research the ship almost 4 times for the same amount of XP. I wouldn't mind if Alaska was the previously standard 750K price point, but I can't get behind the extra 250,000. I don't think it's worth that much really. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

I don‘t think you can compare the research cost of a T10 like that. You need to consider that you must get to T9 first.

If anything, doing the calculation on how much FXP would be needed to skip to T9, and then fleshing it out. An additional post is then the Credit cost for purchasing the ship and upgrading the hull.

Then we can compare the price tags.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
7 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

But that takes effort, time and critical thought. Can't expect that on these forums. What do you think we are, well thinking adults?

• Funny 5
  • Boring 1

[SUNK]
Members
43 posts
6,880 battles
6 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I don‘t think you can compare the research cost of a T10 like that. You need to consider that you must get to T9 first.

If anything, doing the calculation on how much FXP would be needed to skip to T9, and then fleshing it out. An additional post is then the Credit cost for purchasing the ship and upgrading the hull.

I see the point you're making about relative costs, but I still think 1mil free xp is too much for the Alaska. What I really should have said earlier is that I don't understand why WG made the Alaska 25% more expensive than say the Missouri for example, arguably a better (albeit unattainable) ship. I know no one is forcing me to get her, but I just can't shake the feeling that WG went a little too far on the price.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
6 minutes ago, Archimiedes said:

I don't understand why WG made the Alaska 25% more expensive than say the Missouri for example

Because when the Missouri came out, there were only two ways to get FXP. Hard work or conversion. Now there are also camos, flags, resources containers, supercontainers, mission rewards ....

1m FXP today is a lot easier and quicker to earn than 750k fxp two years ago. Same as 1 dollar today is worth less than 50 cents 30 years ago.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,217 posts
9,450 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Because when the Missouri came out, there were only two ways to get FXP. Hard work or conversion. Now there are also camos, flags, resources containers, supercontainers, mission rewards ....

1m FXP today is a lot easier and quicker to earn than 750k fxp two years ago. Same as 1 dollar today is worth less than 50 cents 30 years ago.

No doubt, because of flags, containers and missions I'm nudging 3M fxp right now

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,257 posts
12,146 battles
5 minutes ago, Archimiedes said:

I see the point you're making about relative costs, but I still think 1mil free xp is too much for the Alaska. What I really should have said earlier is that I don't understand why WG made the Alaska 25% more expensive than say the Missouri for example, arguably a better (albeit unattainable) ship. I know no one is forcing me to get her, but I just can't shake the feeling that WG went a little too far on the price.

It's now possible to net 20-30k to in a single dynamo op in a properly outfitted Sims.  Due that 10 times a day for four days and you can earn between 800,000 and 1,200,000 for over those 40 battles.  That was NOT an option back when the Missouri was released.  You just have a false attachment to that lower 750k number.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,097 posts
7,105 battles
10 minutes ago, Archimiedes said:

Ehm... Alaska is 33.3% more expensive than Missouri... but anyway

Missouri was 750k because at the time of her release there was nothing really to grind FXP like we have it these days. 3-5k Free XP in a match were considered amazing. These days I know people who can go up to 40k in one go when playing an Operation.

WG tried to account for the inflation with Musashi, which was initially announced to cost 920 or 940k, I can‘t quite remember. Community complained how unfair the world was, how that would be way too much, WG gave in and made her 750k (note that both Missouri and Musashi were available at the same time). In case you are interested, I ran the calculations on Musashi, converted the Credits into Free XP, her price in FXP was somewhere around 1.1m and should still be.

With Alaska now WG made sure to clean the table first before offering a new bowl of soup. Hence why we get the increase now, which should‘ve happened some time ago already.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,251 posts
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

but these free experience ships have had a history of not sticking around for very long.

One hundred sixty three dollars?  So let's do the math..

163 x 10 = 1630, x100 = 16,300, x 1000 = 163,000 USD. I can't see them selling 10,000 or more, can you? I suspect a lot of players who obtain her will not require a lot of free XP conversion, so where then do they get any ROI for Alaska? 

Maybe in the follow-on T10 premium,  which will like be a $$$ ship? 

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

so where then do they get any ROI for Alaska?

That's a lot of hours played, thus providing population, thus helping keep the game healthy, to even earn enough XP to convert with $ to buy Alaska. Even more hours, by an order of magnitude, if the entire 1m FXP is earned for free. Plus, among all those hours played, there's a lot of temptation to buy premium time, other premium ships, etc.

That's why all those 'sale' specials in supermarkets and other stores sell articles-of-the-week at cost or even a slight loss, to lure costumers into the store where they'll inevitably buy other things, things that the store does make money on.

• Cool 1

[O_S_D]
Members
48 posts
11,424 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Camouflage

Camo.png

Alaska has a single camouflage pattern: Type 10 – Alaska providing:

• 50% bonus experience gains.
  • 10% reduction in maintenance costs.
  • 3% reduction to surface detection.
  • 4% reduction of enemy accuracy.

Are you sure about this? All other tier 9 premiums have 100% bonus experience and -20% maintenance costs.

[TOG]
Members
3,260 posts
17,119 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

One hundred sixty three dollars?  So let's do the math..

163 x 10 = 1630, x100 = 16,300, x 1000 = 163,000 USD. I can't see them selling 10,000 or more, can you? I suspect a lot of players who obtain her will not require a lot of free XP conversion, so where then do they get any ROI for Alaska? 

Maybe in the follow-on T10 premium,  which will like be a $$$ ship? 

Remember that a good chunk of the NA player population have the 1 mil FXP or close to it that purchasing up to $40-$50 in doubloons to make it. They may pull a few of the new players who are whales to make the direct purchase.  I'm betting it will be in as a FXP ship for the next patch or two then it goes into the arsenal for coal.

Good review LHM btw. You gonna be at Pax East?

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[TF77V]
[TF77V]
Members
75 posts
2,668 battles

Good review. As everyone has said, 1 million FXP is a lot and I really don't see what would be so "extra" special about the Alaska, so i would say the cost vastly outweighs the reward. Don't get me wrong I really enjoying playing USN cruisers, but I will focus on other goals instead of acquiring her.