You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
apostolos_teacher

Funny H-shaped chimney in most IJN DDs

9 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
1,993 battles

I've been wondering what exactly is the funny-looking H-shaped funnel found on many IJN destoyers. It normally "comes out" from somewhere under the front superstructure and ends up around the funnel. Could this be the chimney for a heater of some sort? My OCD has been bothering me something fierce. 

Any ideas (or even informed opinions) welcome. Thanks in advance!

[INR]
Members
655 posts
3,719 battles

Do you have any photos or ships in particular?

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,668 posts
10,496 battles

Probably some kind of draft ventilation system for a magazine. The Minekaze has two of them, forward and aft of the aft funnel, and they are connected to the deck houses that support the middle guns. Hot gasses rising from the funnel would pull a draft on the pipe if the ship is stationary with that boiler lit. Once the ship is moving, airflow running over the pipes would increase suction . This would pull the air out of whatever space that pipe goes to, you'd provide another intake of some kind to allow fresh air in.

The reason I suspect it's the ventilation for magazines is, such a system wouldn't have any electric motors that could cause sparks, and even today, sparks in magazines are bad, and great care is taken to avoid equipment that can create them. If also appears to be used where other forms of natural ventilation would be inconvenient. A simple check valve would keep anything from coming back down the pipe.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,054 posts
3,405 battles

It's just an exhaust stack cap that prevents rainwater from entering the exhaust.  It's one style of several that could be used to prevent rainwater from entering the pipe.

[CVA16]
Members
2,780 posts
10,470 battles

Always thought it was a galley (kitchen) exhaust vent. The H shape would be as Murotsu stated.

I always wondered why only the IJN adopted the around-the-bottom-of-the-stack uptake vent (I assume that is what it is, could be wrong). You can see it in the pictures above. The second DD (Fubuki?) has the old style cone vents beside the stacks. The first,  third and fourth boats all have collars around the base of the stacks. I don't remember seeing any other nations DDs with such a feature.

Edited by Sabot_100

Beta Testers
30 posts
5,094 battles
10 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Always thought it was a galley (kitchen) exhaust vent. The H shape would be as Murotsu stated.

I always wondered why only the IJN adopted the around-the-bottom-of-the-stack uptake vent (I assume that is what it is, could be wrong). You can see it in the pictures above. The second DD (Fubuki?) has the old style cone vents beside the stacks. The first,  third and fourth boats all have collars around the base of the stacks. I don't remember seeing any other nations DDs with such a feature.

I'm very certain it's actually the galley exhaust chimney. I don't have a reference to prove it. 

If I may theorize on the collar-style uptake, I believe it's a weight-saving measure. The Japanese were always finding clever ways to reduce topweight, designing the uptakes into the already-trunked stacks might shave off a few hundred more kilograms. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,780 posts
10,470 battles
12 hours ago, Old_Hickory said:

I'm very certain it's actually the galley exhaust chimney. I don't have a reference to prove it. 

I was a bit more uncertain. My reference would have been from building the plastic models decades ago where the part was labeled as a galley stack or something similar.

Good hypothesis on the collars being weight saving. They did seem to appear when the IJN was doing all their top-weight reduction.

Edited by Sabot_100