You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheYamato

32-Bit Client Discontinued after 0.8.1

29 comments in this topic

Members
67 posts
2,479 battles

Hey guys,

So I run this game on Mac using the Wine booting option, and I am worried this update could be the nail in the coffin. Anyone able to confirm that this update won't discontinue Wine and that Mac users will still be able to play WoWS?

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
24 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

Hey guys,

So I run this game on Mac using the Wine booting option, and I am worried this update could be the nail in the coffin. Anyone able to confirm that this update won't discontinue Wine and that Mac users will still be able to play WoWS?

In 2015, almost 93% of Windows PCs were 64 bit. I don't think this will affect a bunch of people.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
4 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

In 2015, almost 93% of Windows PCs were 64 bit. I don't think this will affect a bunch of people.

He is on a Mac, not a Windows PC. Apparently, however, the latest version of Wine can now run 64-bit Windows applications on 64-bit Macs.

[-JIT-]
Members
127 posts
2,816 battles
33 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

Hey guys,

Are you even able to play successfully after 0.8 hit?  Because im on a Mac also and its unplayable with constant crashes since.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

He is on a Mac, not a Windows PC. Apparently, however, the latest version of Wine can now run 64-bit Windows applications on 64-bit Macs.

:Smile_facepalm:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
18 minutes ago, Wildfire32 said:

Are you even able to play successfully after 0.8 hit?  Because im on a Mac also and its unplayable with constant crashes since.

Several of us have had a lot of crashes on PCs after the rework hit too. I've had at least eight crashes playing CVs. Tech support was less than helpful as all they had me do was check drivers, make sure my PC was not running hot, check my drive, etc., which is maintenance I regularly do anyway. Finally, they sent me a link to an infected file that downloaded a rootkit bitcoin miner to my system. Needless to say, I closed the "support" ticket and won't be opening any more. 

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Several of us have had a lot of crashes on PCs after the rework hit too. I've had at least eight crashes playing CVs. Tech support was less than helpful as all they had me do was check drivers, make sure my PC was not running hot, check my drive, etc., which is maintenance I regularly do anyway. Finally, they sent me a link to an infected file that downloaded a rootkit bitcoin miner to my system. Needless to say, I closed the "support" ticket and won't be opening any more. 

Could please PM or list the link that supposedly sent you a rootkit?  We have a team of techs who are pretty savvy when it comes to malware and we do have players report a lot of false positives from their AV software.  I'd like to double check to make sure though. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
8 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Could please PM or list the link that supposedly sent you a rootkit?  We have a team of techs who are pretty savvy when it comes to malware and we do have players report a lot of false positives from their AV software.  I'd like to double check to make sure though. 

Will do. Here they are. I'm not 100% that's where it came from but the timing of the download and when the rootkit showed up was only a few minutes apart in the Event Viewer.

Note to others, please don't click on these links.

Edited by Snargfargle

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Will do. Here it is. I'm not 100% that's where it came from but the timing of the download and when the rootkit showed up was only a few minutes apart in the Event Viewer.

Not to others, please don't click on these links.

Thank you, I'm going to discuss further with our Support team. 

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,795 battles

I was having some crashes too after the 8.0 update but since the latest patch I do not think it has crashed on me. The game has been very stable until the release of 8.0. versions but maybe they have resolved whatever was causing it??? Ran the integrity check and shows no issues so who knows...one update can fix one thing and break another.

Members
67 posts
2,479 battles
1 hour ago, Wildfire32 said:

So when the 0.8 hit, I couldn't open the client at first - is this the issue you're alluding to? I just dropped my client in the trash and re-downloaded it. Took hours but it did solve the issue. 

Not having any issues as of yet. Just checking what wiser souls would say, so I can already get some solutions ready. :P

[-JIT-]
Members
127 posts
2,816 battles
58 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

So when the 0.8 hit, I couldn't open the client at first - is this the issue you're alluding to? I just dropped my client in the trash and re-downloaded it. Took hours but it did solve the issue. 

Not having any issues as of yet. Just checking what wiser souls would say, so I can already get some solutions ready. :P

No I would be in game and it just crashes.  Sometimes to the desktop, other times a complete system freeze.  I had one match i tried to play and after 3 crashes i gave up.  0.8 jacked up CPU usage up over 200% also and lags everything like crazy.  Before the update I was able to run the game, and run discord/whatsapp behind it or google chrome to search things, and even answer facetime and had zero lagging with all that multitasking.  Now if I tried to do anything aside from play the game it is extremely slow and laggy.  I updated the client and even gone as far as full delete and reinstall.  

[LOSC]
Members
557 posts

Well first off if you are not running 64 you can only use just under 4 gb of Ram Why even play a game under that.

Division 2 Under Beta Technical testing had my system at 12.8gb under load.

[PVE]
Members
473 posts
9,373 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

And macs without 64 bit support are at least 12 years old. I suspect there aren't that many around being used for running WOWS

Members
1,933 posts
8,910 battles

Sell your Macs and buy real gaming PCs if you want to PC game. A decent Windows machine can be had for about $500. 

• Cool 1

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,523 battles
4 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

And macs without 64 bit support are at least 12 years old. I suspect there aren't that many around being used for running WOWS

Practically no one has been running 32-bit only in quite some time.  However, the shims that some of us use to play emulate 32-bit.

I was able to run the client on Wine from my Chromebook during my Christmas trip.  I think that was actually using 64-bit and DirectX 11.

I will be testing this tomorrow afternoon to see if I can use it during my next trip for the Daily Shipments.  5 secs per frame doesn't allow actual battle, but is enough for the Port.

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,291 posts
10,995 battles
4 hours ago, TheYamato said:

Hey guys,

Wine is capable of 64bit, including on Mac. The last Mac sold that was not 64bit capable was the 2006 Mac Mini, I will assume your machine isn't older than that . :fish_cute_2:

Members
67 posts
2,479 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_lowa said:

Wine is capable of 64bit, including on Mac. The last Mac sold that was not 64bit capable was the 2006 Mac Mini, I will assume your machine isn't older than that . :fish_cute_2:

Not older, but closer than you'd think! :P

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,291 posts
10,995 battles
Just now, TheYamato said:

Not older, but closer than you'd think! :P

Understandable, I'm still running a 2010 Mac Pro myself. Thinking to possibly upgrade soon though and looking forward to the new Pros, as in hindsight it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Plays WoWs real good though still!

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,483 posts
11,211 battles
3 hours ago, Radar_X said:

What about positive negatives? Im pretty sure there are allot of bugs that are not registered as malware...

Members
67 posts
2,479 battles
49 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Sell your Macs and buy real gaming PCs if you want to PC game. A decent Windows machine can be had for about $500. 

It's okay, when your parents don't pay for your stuff any more - you'll come back to this thread and you'll understand without me ever saying a word.

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,933 posts
8,910 battles
20 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

It's okay, when your parents don't pay for your stuff any more - you'll come back to this thread and you'll understand without me ever saying a word.

ROFL.

Gainfully employed, homeowner, been buying my own toys since I turned 18.

If you are going to PC game these days you need a gaming PC... period.

• Cool 1

[GT99]
Members
716 posts
11,126 battles
25 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

What is this supposed to mean?

Members
67 posts
2,479 battles
3 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

ROFL.

Gainfully employed, homeowner, been buying my own toys since I turned 18.

If you are going to PC game these days you need a gaming PC... period.

You're pretty much where I wish I was... 

I spent a year working in Madagascar (earned 273 dollars a month, most of which went to subsistence) and now looking for work in Mauritius. Shoulda gone with that first time, eh? :P

Members
1,933 posts
8,910 battles
6 minutes ago, TheYamato said:

You're pretty much where I wish I was... 

I spent a year working in Madagascar (earned 273 dollars a month, most of which went to subsistence) and now looking for work in Mauritius. Shoulda gone with that first time, eh? :P

Live and learn. We all have our ups and downs. 

My statement was more to the fact that you need specialized hardware if you are going to PC game in the 21st century. I used cheap computers with slow processors and integrated graphics for a long time until I realized that to get decent performance I had to have a mid to high end machine. I realize $500 may not be cheap to everyone, but it's a heck of a lot better than the $2000 we were paying ten years ago.