You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VaygrEmpire

Dive Bombers are new Rocket Planes!

40 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
184 posts

It is now more effective than Rocket planes in 8.0.3. against DD. Since DBs are ever so slow, it is easier for them to initiate attack as soon as they detect DD. Even a single hit (HE) will result in 3~4k damage. DD captains cried out to 10% hp taken away every time CV did attack run on them with rocket planes. Now look at where they ended up. 

Although I can foresee the future in 8.0.5. Dive Bombers will be nerfed as hell because DD captains are going to cry again nonetheless. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles

Meanwhile, Graf Zeppelin can be heard crying in the corner...

• Funny 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,564 posts
4,984 battles

Well all IJN carriers (except Kaga) can only effectively engage cruisers and battleships with AP yes. IJN TBs though can still land torps on DDs if you catch them unawares. Evens out suppose.

Members
3,725 posts
20 minutes ago, VaygrEmpire said:

It is now more effective than Rocket planes in 8.0.3. against DD. Since DBs are ever so slow, it is easier for them to initiate attack as soon as they detect DD. Even a single hit (HE) will result in 3~4k damage. DD captains cried out to 10% hp taken away every time CV did attack run on them with rocket planes. Now look at where they ended up.

There has been one CC saying since the beginning that if people would learn to use DBs they wouldn't rely on Rockets so much.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,880 battles
14 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Well all IJN carriers (except Kaga) can only effectively engage cruisers and battleships with AP yes. IJN TBs though can still land torps on DDs if you catch them unawares. Evens out suppose.

Anyone can torpedo DD's when you catch them unawares.

[CCTV2]
Beta Testers
469 posts
9,106 battles

dive bombing DDs are serious skills, but CV players are hardcore

• Cool 1

Members
4,083 posts
4,347 battles

Dive bombers have always been good. But rockets help prepare for RN bombers. I used to open with rockets for scouting, but now that they're nurfed and turn slow in an attack I find myself not using them as much. 

• Cool 1

[WO0KY]
Members
4,104 posts
3,189 battles
23 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

There has been one CC saying since the beginning that if people would learn to use DBs they wouldn't rely on Rockets so much.

One of the reasons you use rockets so much is low level DBs are so slow, a DD maneuvering underneath it is faster, very hard to hit with. So you learn rockets and it becomes habit 

[UNCLK]
Members
5 posts
4,303 battles

I've noticed this as well. I was using the HVARs on my rocket planes for better "accuracy" against DDs before 8.0.3, but since I use them on bigger targets I might just switch to the Tiny Tims for better damage.

[POP]
Members
1,566 posts
20,788 battles

They didn't suddenly become this … USN DB were always good against DD

[RLGN]
Members
13,529 posts
23,605 battles
19 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

What a load of (redacted) from whoever the CC was, smarmy much?

Must be nice to be able to so easily use dive bombers, without getting blown to hell and gone by AA in the process; kind of like Wargamming's moronic belief that everyone has the easiest time in the world using manual attacks, so it shouldn't be a problem making the carrier rework nothing but manual attacks.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
746 posts
6,024 battles

USN DBs was always the preferred weapon of choice against DDs. 1 Midway bomb does around ~3.5k per hit, so just 2 bomb hits can be massive. 

[KNFA]
Beta Testers
474 posts
4,786 battles
16 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

USN DBs was always the preferred weapon of choice against DDs. 1 Midway bomb does around ~3.5k per hit, so just 2 bomb hits can be massive. 

Well their full damage is 11k for 1 so technically the DD is getting off easy with only 3.5k a hit lol. Which I don't really get given the average DDs armor. They should take a lot more damage from 1 hit from the USN bombers.

• Meh 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,503 posts
11,213 battles
14 minutes ago, QinsCoCoPops said:

Well their full damage is 11k for 1 so technically the DD is getting off easy with only 3.5k a hit lol. Which I don't really get given the average DDs armor. They should take a lot more damage from 1 hit from the USN bombers.

DDs should take allot more damage from any aerial munition: DDs are being over compensated.

[POP]
Members
1,566 posts
20,788 battles

If they nerf USN DB they will just have to nerf torps (again), because with sufficient practice they can still be used against DDs

Edited by Alabamastan

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles
1 hour ago, QinsCoCoPops said:

1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

DDs should take allot more damage from any aerial munition: DDs are being over compensated.

The damage for any non-citadel penetrating hit is 0.33 x the listed damage of shells and bombs. This isn't something new or unique to bombs hitting DDs.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,503 posts
11,213 battles
14 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

The damage for any non-citadel penetrating hit is 0.33 x the listed damage of shells and bombs. This isn't something new or unique to bombs hitting DDs.

Which explains why DDs need citadels, especially since radar is getting a 6 second nerf.

• Meh 2

[KMK]
Members
218 posts
11,517 battles

Yesterday I did my first Devastating strike against a DD with DBs. I placed 3 bombs in it. (It wasnt 100%). Isnt so easy to do that, you need some skill, and you cant do it always. So I dont believe it need a nerf.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,536 posts
2,262 battles
6 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Meanwhile, Graf Zeppelin can be heard crying in the corner...

Which is right where she belongs.

2 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Which explains why DDs need citadels, especially since radar is getting a 6 second nerf.

They tried that way back in alpha testing.  It was not a good idea.

• Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
1,358 posts
10,040 battles
6 hours ago, VaygrEmpire said:

Last night, right at the start of a match, my Gearing was reduced from 22 to 8K HP after the first drop, and then to 500 HP after the second drop from a Midway. Tons of crits and fires as well, so yah, I'm wondering if WG is considering that as a problem and how they might alter things.

Edited by TheArc
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[KIA]
Members
241 posts
12,607 battles
3 hours ago, TheArc said:

Last night, right at the start of a match, my Gearing was reduced from 22 to 8K HP after the first drop, and then to 500 HP after the second drop from a Midway. Tons of crits and fires as well, so yah, I'm wondering if WG is considering that as a problem and how they might alter things.

Highly suggest you learn how to dodge bombs from a carrier and/or use your smoke appropriately along with not just yolo rushing the cap away from your friends at the start of a match.  Your lack of player skill isn't another reason to continue beating the dead/almost dead horse.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Dive bombers have been way better vs DDs since tst1. It used to be fairly easy to land them too from tst1 to 8.0 initial, but with how they keep making the controls worse for balance, it might take a bit more effort now. I haven't played CVs since the first week or so though

Edited by Tanuvein

[TARK]
Members
5,223 posts
2,146 battles

Instead of nerfing DBs...

Wargaming needs to nerf Battleship AA.

If WG expects CVs to counter BBs, and that does seem to be the expectation...given the continuing nerfs to spotting and DD attack mechanics...

Then making BBs attack able has to be the next choice.