Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

Why can bombers detect each other at 10km away?

13 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,688 posts
12,778 battles

So, a DD can only be spotted inside of 2.5km, and this DD is like... <140m long and leaving a sizeable wake in the water.

Where as these bombers are like... around 11m long with 15m wing spans. and Since they are propeller aircraft, they don't leave a jet cloud behind

So, like... why are bombers spotting bombers at 10km a thing?

I'm just curious about the design decision, really. It seems a bit excessive, even if the idea is to reduce the chances of bombers sneaking up on ships.

0 posts
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

So, a DD can only be spotted inside of 2.5km, and this DD is like... <140m long and leaving a sizeable wake in the water.

Where as these bombers are like... around 11m long with 15m wing spans. and Since they are propeller aircraft, they don't leave a jet cloud behind

I'm just curious about the design decision, really. It seems a bit excessive, even if the idea is to reduce the chances of bombers sneaking up on ships.

Yes it is absurd, but what do you expect, seriously? Spotting/concealment in WOWS acts very oddly at all tiers, for all avatars.

Disregard how spotting/concealment works for a moment. Now spend a few minutes reflecting on how vision, light and visibility, works in the real world.

Spoiler

1. wows physics of visibility, even if we both have equally good eyesight, on a sunny day, without obstruction, wearing the exact same clothes, I can see you but you cannot see me/
  2. real world physics of visibility, if we both have equally good eyesight, if I can see you on a sunny day, you can see me too

Now ask yourself, how and why WOWS, reinvents these physics in such an unnatural, unintuitive, manner.

The compose a fresh /rant.

• Cool 1

[UNCLK]
Members
5 posts
4,303 battles

While I agree that the spotting/detection system is unrealistic, please remember that World of Warships is not advertised as a highly accurate military simulation.

• Cool 1

[WO0KY]
Members
4,104 posts
3,189 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

The cloud, the contrails, have nothing to do with jet exhaust. It is water vaper condensed off parts of the plane, and yes propeller aircraft can make them. Here's some B17s and fighters over Europe

contrail.jpg

[SYN]
Members
15,688 posts
12,778 battles
12 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

The cloud, the contrails, have nothing to do with jet exhaust. It is water vaper condensed off parts of the plane, and yes propeller aircraft can make them. Here's some B17s and fighters over Europe

contrail.jpg

and how high up are those in comparison to carrier based bombers?

[WO0KY]
Members
4,104 posts
3,189 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

and how high up are those in comparison to carrier based bombers?

At the cruising altitude of the SBD Dauntless

Edit misread the data, closer to the ceiling

Edited by Wombatmetal

[WO0KY]
Members
4,104 posts
3,189 battles

In eithe case doesn't matter. Contrails form at a certain air temperature, which in the South Pacific isn't like to happen. On a map like islands of ice would be lower by a lot

Point is propellers are quite capable of making them

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles
9 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

At the cruising altitude of the SBD Dauntless

Edit misread the data, closer to the ceiling

Although would that cruising altitude be the same as they use when actively hunting for ships, or would they drop down to say, 15000 feet when they got near the target area, to make wake spotting easier?

[R-F]
Members
1,770 posts
10,239 battles

I mean if you get down to it, ships should be more easily detected by planes than by other ships, shouldn't they?  No reason for a lesser spotting distance by air than by sea, other than the same reason for everything: game balance.

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Spotting things from a plane is way harder than you think. At 10k feet a gunner at a window needs strong binoculars to see a truck directly beneath. Without glint, any aircraft more than 5 miles away is nearly impossible to see, though if you have strong hearing and eyes, you might spot it from the ground. Without the ability to hear a plane to know its even there, you have a lot of sky to look through to spot that.

There is also cloud levels, darkness/twilight, and humidity that can effect it. Spotting ships would be easier, they are building sized or more, slow and not very well hidden on a potentially flat environment. The one thing I can theoretically think of that would effect this (I've never looked for a ship from the air) is sun glare off the ocean. Sea blindness feels like glass dust in your eyes.

[WO0KY]
Members
4,104 posts
3,189 battles
3 minutes ago, Tanuvein said:

Spotting things from a plane is way harder than you think. At 10k feet a gunner at a window needs strong binoculars to see a truck directly beneath. Without glint, any aircraft more than 5 miles away is nearly impossible to see, though if you have strong hearing and eyes, you might spot it from the ground. Without the ability to hear a plane to know its even there, you have a lot of sky to look through to spot that.

There is also cloud levels, darkness/twilight, and humidity that can effect it. Spotting ships would be easier, they are building sized or more, slow and not very well hidden on a potentially flat environment. The one thing I can theoretically think of that would effect this (I've never looked for a ship from the air) is sun glare off the ocean. Sea blindness feels like glass dust in your eyes.

There are so many cases of a pilot in the middle a scrum fighting for his life, next thing you know not a plane in sight.

Realistic or not the mechanic works

Sign in to follow this