Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TacticalBeard

GC nerf? Or speculation

14 comments in this topic

[SALT-]
Members
9 posts
3,168 battles

So is wargaming really going to nerf the GC? Has there been an official announcement or just speculation I’m seeing. It’s a fun ship with good guns but other than that it’s pretty average for a BB at tier 5  and rather squishy actually. 

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

It is far beyond average. Anyone who played GC and says it is balanced is quite misinformed or has little to compare to.

It's nothing official yet, but when was the last time a WiP just got outright canceled? It's almost never. Might be an 8.2 thing

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
32 minutes ago, TacticalBeard said:

So is wargaming really going to nerf the GC? Has there been an official announcement or just speculation I’m seeing. It’s a fun ship with good guns but other than that it’s pretty average for a BB at tier 5  and rather squishy actually. 

It is under consideration. It may happen, it may not happen.

It's official that they're considering it.

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles

As far as "nerfs" go, they are considering moving her to T6. That's it.

Being a T6 though, she gets 25mm plating and the 4th upgrade slot.

• Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,492 posts
11,965 battles
2 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

As far as "nerfs" go, they are considering moving her to T6. That's it.

Being a T6 though, she gets 25mm plating and the 4th upgrade slot.

You can add to that, access to tier 6 operations, which with her speed and firepower, she should excel at most of them, much like the Kongo used to.

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles
1 minute ago, SgtBeltfed said:

You can add to that, access to tier 6 operations, which with her speed and firepower, she should excel at most of them, much like the Kongo used to.

Hmm, good point. Having GC in ops sounds great. Plus she's eligible for a lot of combat missions and stuff that's T6+.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,323 posts
10,186 battles
54 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

It is far beyond average. Anyone who played GC and says it is balanced is quite misinformed or has little to compare to.

It's nothing official yet, but when was the last time a WiP just got outright canceled? It's almost never. Might be an 8.2 thing

As "far beyond average" it seems to be that still doesn't change the massive difference between it and an Amagi or Richlieu. Some extra plating and another upgrade slot won't make it get pewped all over any less. Take a look at the armour viewer. It's going to get penned and cit all day from the rear of the first front turret all the way to the nose with as far back as that plating goes. It'll take damage like a QE or NY without the benefit of 381mm main guns. Guarantee it won't be fun at all.

Edited by Vekta408

[LOU1]
Members
4,060 posts
11,276 battles

The dev blog says they are considering supertesting chages to the GC.  That means they have to decide to test changes, design the changes, put them through ST, then release it to testers on the live server.  Right now, it is a twinkle in their eye that may or may not result in anything months from now.  Look at how long it took before they re-released Graf Zeppelin.  Oh wait, they still haven't re-released it yet...

[UN1]
Members
835 posts
2,941 battles
On 2/26/2019 at 12:36 AM, Vekta408 said:

As "far beyond average" it seems to be that still doesn't change the massive difference between it and an Amagi or Richlieu. Some extra plating and another upgrade slot won't make it get pewped all over any less. Take a look at the armour viewer. It's going to get penned and cit all day from the rear of the first front turret all the way to the nose with as far back as that plating goes. It'll take damage like a QE or NY without the benefit of 381mm main guns. Guarantee it won't be fun at all.

This is no different than any other T6 vs T8 ship.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,323 posts
10,186 battles
13 hours ago, Ranari said:

This is no different than any other T6 vs T8 ship.

Yes it is. Slapping some extra plating on and calling it a T6 doesn't change that.

[UN1]
Members
835 posts
2,941 battles
11 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

Yes it is. Slapping some extra plating on and calling it a T6 doesn't change that.

Mmm, not really.  While the CG's armor belt is thinner than most other T6 dreadnoughts (cause it's a battlecruiser), it is all external, and more than capable of bouncing AP rounds of all sizes.  The T5 CG can already be overmatched by pretty much every T5/6/T7 battleship, and all T8 battleships can overmatch T6/T7 battleships anyways.  That's normal for this tier bracket.

I won't disagree that I think the T6 version needs a tad bit of love, but it's not its armor that needs buffing.  Maybe a tad more range, maybe a spotter plane, and maybe even a slight reload buff.  It's AA was adjusted simply on the basis of it moving to T6 (some of the AA values are based on tier assignment, and if you look at the American ships you'll see this even though they're using the same exact and the same number of guns), but that can be looked at, too. 

Point is though, the T6 version is not going to feel as powerful relative to its tier that the T5 is.  That's the entire point of moving it to T6. 

Edited by Ranari

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,323 posts
10,186 battles
4 hours ago, Ranari said:

Mmm, not really.  While the CG's armor belt is thinner than most other T6 dreadnoughts (cause it's a battlecruiser), it is all external, and more than capable of bouncing AP rounds of all sizes.  The T5 CG can already be overmatched by pretty much every T5/6/T7 battleship, and all T8 battleships can overmatch T6/T7 battleships anyways.  That's normal for this tier bracket.

I won't disagree that I think the T6 version needs a tad bit of love, but it's not its armor that needs buffing.  Maybe a tad more range, maybe a spotter plane, and maybe even a slight reload buff.  It's AA was adjusted simply on the basis of it moving to T6 (some of the AA values are based on tier assignment, and if you look at the American ships you'll see this even though they're using the same exact and the same number of guns), but that can be looked at, too. 

Point is though, the T6 version is not going to feel as powerful relative to its tier that the T5 is.  That's the entire point of moving it to T6. 

*sigh* lets stop trying to make this something it's not. They're moving a T5 ship regardless of the state it got released in, regardless of what they tweak on it. I get why everyone that bought it or any other premium has an issue with it. If balance really was the entire point of moving it something fishing is going on here. They single out this one ship for this kind of "tweak" when there have been others that have been in the game far longer.

If it's going to be moved to T6 it's going to be moved. That's not the part I have an issue with. People are trying to pass this off as some kind of balance issue. Yeah I don't buy it after hearing all 3 sides of this.

[COOLI]
Members
92 posts
8,423 battles

Disclaimer: I havent tried GC in PTS yet, this is a set of fears and speculation

@Ranari I agree; armor is not the biggest issue. I'm far more worried about the range and reload. I have to constantly be aware of what battleships can outrange me at T5 and uptiering isnt gonna make that challenge any better. And as for reload i hope i don't have the same reload as 406mm guns because i'd like to be able to sneak a second salvo in before he does and kills me lol. And as much as i love my AA at tier 5, seeing T8 airplanes is not what it was designed for by any standards. He's the core of the issue: the GC is a beast at T5 of this there is no doubt. BUT if i can refer to my standard Tier-breakdown of 1-4: noobs and sealclubbers, T5-7 Midtier goodness, T8-10 competitive. So by taking a T5 which  was never designed to see "competitive ships" and uptiering it with an armor buff doesnt address the full set of issues. All this being said i need to educate myself in the PTS. I can say that Mejash rekt me in his T6 GC in a random the other day while i was sailing my T5 GC, but it was a good duel.

EDIT: I just realized the heart of the issue: i love this ship at T5 for the same reason i love all my T5 ships: i don't see tier 8s!!! i personally feel like games that include T8s are just a bit more competitive and a bit more serious. you just have to be that much more careful and cerebral. I would prefer they nerf it at T5.  Most people acknowledge the guns are great but the range is weak. so in a way i'd say that is balance right there; you can hit the enemy ship hard, but it can definitely hit you too. If anything its major advantage is its speed and maneuverability. i can dodge torps like a cruiser can. I don't fear DD's in this ship AT ALL and it doesnt even have hydro. But i do fear getting matched with T8s. The reason is, like the Kongo, it started as a battlecruiser. That means cruiser like manueverability and BB guns on a weak hull. the Ishizuchi is to be feared for the same reason at T4 but wouldn't be right at T5 even if it could handle it with a slight armor buff.

No matter what I'm sure its getting moved anyway and i'm afraid it just won't be the same ship.

Edited by dawggunner

[THREE]
Members
2,210 posts
11,724 battles

Hey

If Wargaming hadn't Nerf'd the Sigma many moons ago on the Konig; the GC would have some competition, they could also have buffed some of the other T5 BBs's to compete better but now they are going to shoe horn her into T6, buff the armor some, but the AA is very pathetic for T6; they will ruin what is a very popular ship.  They don't want a T5 GC beating up their new T5 Russian BB that is in work.  Bad idea moving it to T6 IMHO.

Pete

Sign in to follow this