You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BiggieD61

Something WG did right

18 comments in this topic

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,709 posts
16,214 battles

I applaud Wargaming for devising the simple but elegant system behind the Naval Battles for Clans.  It's neither gimmicky nor exclusionary and relies simply on clan members playing good games in their individual ships to help advance the clans score.

In essence:

1.) Monday through Thursday requires clan members to play normally and rack up 101,000 base xp in the "preparation" phase to qualify for the weekend "engagement" phase. No player can supply more than 20k of that base xp, so a clan must have at least 6 active members to grind out enough to qualify for the actual contest against another clan.

2.)  Friday through Saturday is the actual competition against another clan - picked from any server that plays WoWs.  Our opponent was a clan from CIS (Russia ) and got off to a very large early lead due to them being 12 hours ahead of us.  To score stars one must simply select the "Enable" button in the Naval Battles tab, and then beat the current XP bar for the nation/ship type you are playing.  All bars start at 300 xp and advance to 900 and then 1500 xp.  After that, the jumps are just 50 xp increments - the highest anyone in our clan got was beating an 1850 xp bar.

3. )  Each player in the clan gets EXACTLY 10 attempts to beat any of the bars.  After your 10th try, you are done and can't contribute any more to star gathering.  The idea here is that star gathering should be a clan-wide attempt, not just a few superstars running up scores.  The strategy element involves the fact that you only go up ONE bar at a time, so it's better to save your clans skilled players for later in the competition and let the new and average players scoop up the easier 300/900 xp hurdles. Once the bar gets raised to the 1500 point limit, then the better players can use their chances to gain the harder to achieve stars.

4. )  The reward is oil, 800 for qualifying for the weekend - 50 oil for each ten stars earned, and then 700 for a win, 400 for a draw and 300 if you lose.  Our clan earned 1,950 oil just from those bonuses, not counting the oil gains made from the daily crates earned while trying to hit new xp bars. 

The simple beauty of it is from the ability of an average clan that is ACTIVE to rake in a nice oil bump and build some comradery by coordinating who is going for what nation and what ship type.  We had a bunch of people working together on our Discord, giving updates on which stars they had won and which were available.    We won our inaugural competition by a 30-star margin and ended up with a ranking value of 244 ( how that number is generated I have no idea, it's the only hole in an otherwise straightforward rule set ) that put us at #23 across all the servers.  If you decided not to do it this first week, I highly encourage clans to try this out as a fun and low-stress way to build your clan unity.

• Cool 9

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
938 posts
11,629 battles

I concur. If your clan plays regularly there is nothing to lose by joining in. You earn oil which makes achieving some buildings that much easier. 

Nice write up summary of the event!

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,170 battles
26 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

I applaud Wargaming for devising the simple but elegant system behind the Naval Battles for Clans.  It's neither gimmicky nor exclusionary and relies simply on clan members playing good games in their individual ships to help advance the clans score.

In essence:

1.) Monday through Thursday requires clan members to play normally and rack up 101,000 base xp in the "preparation" phase to qualify for the weekend "engagement" phase. No player can supply more than 20k of that base xp, so a clan must have at least 6 active members to grind out enough to qualify for the actual contest against another clan.

2.)  Friday through Saturday is the actual competition against another clan - picked from any server that plays WoWs.  Our opponent was a clan from CIS (Russia ) and got off to a very large early lead due to them being 12 hours ahead of us.  To score stars one must simply select the "Enable" button in the Naval Battles tab, and then beat the current XP bar for the nation/ship type you are playing.  All bars start at 300 xp and advance to 900 and then 1500 xp.  After that, the jumps are just 50 xp increments - the highest anyone in our clan got was beating an 1850 xp bar.

3. )  Each player in the clan gets EXACTLY 10 attempts to beat any of the bars.  After your 10th try, you are done and can't contribute any more to star gathering.  The idea here is that star gathering should be a clan-wide attempt, not just a few superstars running up scores.  The strategy element involves the fact that you only go up ONE bar at a time, so it's better to save your clans skilled players for later in the competition and let the new and average players scoop up the easier 300/900 xp hurdles. Once the bar gets raised to the 1500 point limit, then the better players can use their chances to gain the harder to achieve stars.

4. )  The reward is oil, 800 for qualifying for the weekend - 50 oil for each ten stars earned, and then 700 for a win, 400 for a draw and 300 if you lose.  Our clan earned 1,950 oil just from those bonuses, not counting the oil gains made from the daily crates earned while trying to hit new xp bars. 

The simple beauty of it is from the ability of an average clan that is ACTIVE to rake in a nice oil bump and build some comradery by coordinating who is going for what nation and what ship type.  We had a bunch of people working together on our Discord, giving updates on which stars they had won and which were available.    We won our inaugural competition by a 30-star margin and ended up with a ranking value of 244 ( how that number is generated I have no idea, it's the only hole in an otherwise straightforward rule set ) that put us at #23 across all the servers.  If you decided not to do it this first week, I highly encourage clans to try this out as a fun and low-stress way to build your clan unity.

Thanks for the nice write-up!

Do you have any ideas on what you would like to see differently or streamlined?

• Meh 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,868 posts
15,634 battles

I contributed 6400xp towards 20000xp, which is all one can do for a clan of 1.  However, it still pitted me against another clan, who never apparently realized they could compete and I won the 700 oil (and they got 300 for doing nothing) I don’t really know what the 20000 base xp is for, unless to gauge active clan players vs inactive.  It appeared to have to effect that I could discern.

[A-CUP]
Members
1,023 posts
8,230 battles

I like the idea as well, but, I think they should give prizes to whom participated in the Friday-Sunday showdown. By this im saying that if you earn 3 out of 10 stars you'll get 500 coal or 1 special flag of a variant (random), 5 out of 10 somewhere about 750 coal or some 3 flags or 2 FTW camo, and 10/10 1000 coal or 5 flags or 4 FTW camo..

Just so that there will be a small competitive taste between clan mates as well. Also will encourage participating.

Edited by Poisonous_Lily

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,709 posts
16,214 battles

@iKami If it's possible to give a brief explanation of how that rating number comes about.  It's obviously not just total stars, so there must be some add ons for total amount of players contributing, or going up for higher xp bars in some lines.  It's not that important to me, but people will probably be curious about it.

Aside from that, it was darn near perfect in my opinion.

[LUCK]
Members
1,789 posts
28,247 battles
32 minutes ago, DavidNXS said:

I concur but i think those CIS guys are haking and i blaim DD's entirely

Care to elaborate?

[KRAK]
Members
3,543 posts
20,217 battles
15 minutes ago, iKami said:

Thanks for the nice write-up!

Do you have any ideas on what you would like to see differently or streamlined?

I can. I would like to see all clan members automatically entered into these and not have to hit the "enabled" button. I would assume that 98 percent of my clan's members had no idea about any of this as only 3 of us "enabled" for our scores to be counted. 

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,551 posts
33,672 battles
25 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I can. I would like to see all clan members automatically entered into these and not have to hit the "enabled" button. I would assume that 98 percent of my clan's members had no idea about any of this as only 3 of us "enabled" for our scores to be counted. 

No. Clan Management must enable the Clan. The individual Enabled button should be the player's choice (as it is now). You only have 10 tries. I wasted 3 before I realized I had left it Enabled when I went to coop. Won't happen again. Now it is Disabled until I want to compete.

As for the Clan, and the Event. All Clans, big and small should participate. It is well thought out and has no downsides as even the losing Clan gets oil.

The only issue, as they asked, is that the original instructions are obtuse. Talk about making it tough to understand.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,071 posts
17,912 battles
28 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

The problem with that is that sometimes you want to mess around on a low-tier ship, and since stars are earned with Base XP, it's much harder to earn a star in low-tier matches . Without being able to decide when to use/not use an attempt, people wouldn't be able to play what they want until their 10 tryhard games are done.

[KRAK]
Members
3,543 posts
20,217 battles
47 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The problem with that is that sometimes you want to mess around on a low-tier ship, and since stars are earned with Base XP, it's much harder to earn a star in low-tier matches . Without being able to decide when to use/not use an attempt, people wouldn't be able to play what they want until their 10 tryhard games are done.

I see. Well, they should have made the rules or conditions more obvious in game somehow with a message on the home screen.

[KRAK]
Members
3,543 posts
20,217 battles
49 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

No. Clan Management must enable the Clan. The individual Enabled button should be the player's choice (as it is now). You only have 10 tries. I wasted 3 before I realized I had left it Enabled when I went to coop. Won't happen again. Now it is Disabled until I want to compete.

As for the Clan, and the Event. All Clans, big and small should participate. It is well thought out and has no downsides as even the losing Clan gets oil.

The only issue, as they asked, is that the original instructions are obtuse. Talk about making it tough to understand.

Yes, we enabled the clan but I think most members had no clue about the enable button.  Our guys are spread over many time zones and apparently many do not read clan chat. Clan chat is another issue that should be fixed, they need to make messages more obvious such as have the dialog box pop up instead of the way it is now.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,480 battles

im sorry but WG has not gotten anything right in a very long time, i want to be constructive with this idea that WG cares about player base, but it does not. This is reflected in the Premium ship choices and costs. the Clan idea of Naval Battles is good, but so many clans are having problems keeping players now that the CV fix has destroyed the game almost entirely. Ask yourself and all clans out there about how many players have been lost to Fornite and other games because of these issues. The games are not getting better. In fact scores are down, way down for all players even the devs see the issues. WG is now a failing stock and the idea of the Aprils fools being a rework of old ideas proves it. Before we as players used startgey in a 20 minute game. Now wins are more random than before.

WG has missed the boat

• Meh 1

[LEGIT]
Members
2,210 posts
30,233 battles

It took me a while to figure out the best way to contribute.  I have one or two ships I play well, and I think next time I may just concentrate on them and try to keep getting stars at the >1500 XP level.  

[36]
Members
449 posts
9,318 battles

@iKami ...A suggestion: I think each clan should have a ‘bulletin board’ for lack of a better term. A single screen available in-game through the Clan tab where announcements and clan specific information can be shared in a persistent, easily accessed form. This would alleviate the need to rely on the limited use of in-game chat/PM or using external services such as private emails. Thanks.

Edited by _Starbuck
  • Cool 1