You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Does WOWS ever remind you of a Flock of Birds?

13 comments in this topic

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,861 battles

Have you ever watched birds all fly in one direction, then all the sudden go the other direction, then all the sudden go the other direction?

It is like playing WOWS,  no one know where to go, one person goes left, so everyone goes left then one person turns right and no one wants to be left behind so they all turn right, and you never seem to go where you need to go.

Kind of reminds me of a flock of birds.  I am sure there is some complicated "Game Theory" that explains this but was just looking out the window at some birds and WOWS was the first thing I thought of.

• Funny 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,537 posts
10,372 battles

That's a pretty good observation.  There are plenty of people that don't want to be leaders, mostly because they are afraid of making a mistake and being the one blamed for leading others the wrong way.  Others are just observers and just want to be in the back, no matter where the back is.  The problem occurs, not just with games like WOWS, but with life in general, is that the wrong people become leaders.  You get people that don't know what they are doing, but think they do, leading others down the wrong path because everyone assumes that person knows what they are doing because they are out front "leading".  

My observation of WOWS leans more towards the observer way of thinking.  Most players just want to shoot things from the back so they don't have to take incoming fire and don't have to make any decisions that might lead to their premature departure from the game.  Playing longer in the game is a win to them.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,938 posts
5,814 battles

As this is World of Warships, I believe we would be more appropriately a school of fish.:fish_aqua::fish_aqua::fish_aqua::fish_aqua::fish_aqua:

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, and watch out for whales.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,592 posts
6,989 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

No, because flocks of birds don't ram into each other.

They do if they are headless chickens.

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

They do if they are headless chickens.

They probably aren't flying if they are headless.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,639 posts
14,467 battles

Only when a juicy, almost dead target shows up ... :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by DocWalker

[TOG]
Members
4,080 posts
22,298 battles
42 minutes ago, Murcc said:

That's a pretty good observation.  There are plenty of people that don't want to be leaders, mostly because they are afraid of making a mistake and being the one blamed for leading others the wrong way.  Others are just observers and just want to be in the back, no matter where the back is.  The problem occurs, not just with games like WOWS, but with life in general, is that the wrong people become leaders.  You get people that don't know what they are doing, but think they do, leading others down the wrong path because everyone assumes that person knows what they are doing because they are out front "leading".  

My observation of WOWS leans more towards the observer way of thinking.  Most players just want to shoot things from the back so they don't have to take incoming fire and don't have to make any decisions that might lead to their premature departure from the game.  Playing longer in the game is a win to them.

It boils down to map awareness and situational awareness. And also mental laziness. "I just want to Pew! Pew! PEW!" is the common thread. To be consistently good, you have to think at least a step or two ahead. 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,082 posts
4,438 battles
26 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

They probably aren't flying if they are headless.

Or if they are chickens:Smile_teethhappy:

Its more like a flock of birds over an airport. Something bad is gonna happen, you just dont know when

Edited by _1204_

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,861 battles
13 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It boils down to map awareness and situational awareness. And also mental laziness. "I just want to Pew! Pew! PEW!" is the common thread. To be consistently good, you have to think at least a step or two ahead. 

I do not know about that.  Like a flock of birds or school of fish, in WOWS everyone wants to be in the pack because if they are left alone you get focus fired and people will claim you were out of position.  That is why whenever anyone sees anyone moving away they turn quickly because they do not want to be abandoned on the flank.

Today I was in a 5 ship pack and was smoked and firing away in a Fiji when the timer was counting down and I realized my 4 ships were 3km ahead of me going back to the base and as soon as I left smoke my PT went up to 5.  Never made it back to safety.

Now you can rightly say I was tunnel visioned  and out of position but that goes to the whole flock / school mentality as I see it.  Always be in the flock and preferably in the back.  When everyone thinks the same way the flock or school moves randomly.

[TOG]
Members
4,080 posts
22,298 battles
2 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I do not know about that.  Like a flock of birds or school of fish, in WOWS everyone wants to be in the pack because if they are left alone you get focus fired and people will claim you were out of position.  That is why whenever anyone sees anyone moving away they turn quickly because they do not want to be abandoned on the flank.

Today I was in a 5 ship pack and was smoked and firing away in a Fiji when the timer was counting down and I realized my 4 ships were 3km ahead of me going back to the base and as soon as I left smoke my PT went up to 5.  Never made it back to safety.

Now you can rightly say I was tunnel visioned  and out of position but that goes to the whole flock / school mentality as I see it.  Always be in the flock and preferably in the back.  When everyone thinks the same way the flock or school moves randomly.

Ever see any of Flamu, Notsers or Zoup's videos? It's not a hard and fast rule you have to be in a pack. Only that you be in "supporting distance" and react to the situation in a timely manner. An example is a standard battle when 9 out of 12 ships start lemming to the enemy base. You get  a hot key message to defend the base. What do you do then?  

The better players don't think " Where can I hide and go pew pew pew!?" It's "where I can be at maximum advantage for an acceptable risk. " 

[TOG]
Members
4,080 posts
22,298 battles
33 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Except for just a couple ranked battles I played recently.  More like a herd of cats.

• Cool 1