HamptonRoads

It can be done. . .

21 comments in this topic

[CO-OP]
[CO-OP]
Members
729 posts
21,220 battles

I am probably not the first to finish the Sail! Strike! Win! mission in co-op.  For those who need a little encouragement here is proof that it can be done:

image.thumb.png.92c0914ea37f434f8de6c1fca021dadf.png

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,011 posts
7,247 battles
3 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I think I'm at like 55 plane kills, it is a really poorly thought out mission. 

Fifty-five!!  I have exactly 6 plane kills.  Every one of them was a spotter plane.

Congrats to @HamptonRoads, well done and +1.

[PVE]
Members
11,226 posts
21,555 battles

Nice job @HamptonRoads.

I think I am around 70 +/-. Knowing how you play you probably got your plane kills like I have which is in close brawling with BB's and taking out the spotter/fighters when the red bots launch them.

If I get it I get it but if not I don't care. After the Might Prinz debacle with that final task I am done worrying about these requirements for things. 

[WOLFC]
Members
685 posts
24,973 battles

If you're in a ship with a spotter/fighter consumable, does launching it near a bot trigger the bot to launch their own planes? If it does, that may be a way to increase your plane kills.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
1 hour ago, Rumple010 said:

If you're in a ship with a spotter/fighter consumable, does launching it near a bot trigger the bot to launch their own planes? If it does, that may be a way to increase your plane kills.

Yes, bots will launch fighters when you launch a plane near them. I think that they generally launch spotters when they are ready.

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,253 battles
27 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yes, bots will launch fighters when you launch a plane near them. I think that they generally launch spotters when they are ready.

Yup. They will launch spotters instantly at game start and every cool-down cycle. They launch fighters as soon as a green plane is in the air.

[PTRGT]
Members
384 posts
41,674 battles
10 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

I am probably not the first to finish the Sail! Strike! Win! mission in co-op.  For those who need a little encouragement here is proof that it can be done:

image.thumb.png.92c0914ea37f434f8de6c1fca021dadf.png

Well done. I finished mine on Sunday. The plane kills were the hardest but I found if you got in Dirty with enemy ships you could get a couple plane kills. If you keep too far away from ships you AA can't reach the scout planes  to you need to take the chance of getting killed vrs planes kills

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
202 posts
22,327 battles

I am surprised about how many planes I have been shooting down in Co-op without trying.  The bot cruisers seem to launch them non-stop.  I did not know about the trick of launching my own planes.

Unfortunately, I have only gotten to 78 and I am having elbow surgery this afternoon, which will probably prevent me from playing for a while. 

Edited by Daffyd9x

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
1 minute ago, Daffyd9x said:

I am surprised about how many planes I have been shooting down in Co-op without trying.  The bot cruisers are launching them non-stop.

Unfortunately, I have only gotten to 78 and I am having elbow surgery this afternoon, which will probably prevent me from playing for a while.

Prayers for the doctor's discernment and a quick recovery.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
[CO-OP]
Members
729 posts
21,220 battles

A couple of practices that might help:

1. Acquiring opportunities:
    • You need to recognize which ships have spotters, fighters, and which ones don't have any planes.
    • AI ships with spotters will launch them at the start of the game, so unless you have a DD with hyperdrive you aren't going to get into AA range before the spotters need to land.  This means that for you to shoot down spotters you have to wait for their cool-down period.  This is a problem as most games don't last 6 minutes, especially if you have all human teams.  If you play with a lot of bots (i.e. non-peak times) you can increase the odds of stretching out matches. As a game progresses, BBs will likely be the last targets.  If the BB is spotter equipped you may have an opportunity.
    • My personal experience is that at lower tiers (5-6) it is more likely to see planes. 
  2. Killing Planes:
    • If you can get to the 5+ minute mark, you need to get close to potential launch platforms (ships with fighters/spotters)  Make sure that you are closer than your long range AA (preferably in medium AA range, by the time they launch.)  Because you're going to be close ANGLE YOUR SHIP, and don't forget your WASD hacks.
    • You can increase one side of your ship's AA.  Use the "~" key (the upper left key)
    • DFAA will also help a bit, but I wouldn't take it over most other consumable options, similarly I wouldn't take AFT (unless you're going for a secondary build,) or AA signals.
  • Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

Congrats!!!

I'm around 40 planes, so I'm not going to be finishing this mission in time.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,681 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

In PVP though right?

honestly...i think it was in Random... :Smile_hiding: that part is kinda sketch...i was bouncing back between Random, OP and Coop this weekend... :Smile_amazed:

[PVE]
Members
11,226 posts
21,555 battles
1 minute ago, Shinnidan said:

honestly...i think it was in Random... :Smile_hiding: that part is kinda sketch...i was bouncing back between Random, OP and Coop this weekend... :Smile_amazed:

Figured. Getting 100 in Co-op is really hard just because the opportunities are so few. I think I got 3 planes today in total in like 30-40 games.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,681 battles
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Figured. Getting 100 in Co-op is really hard just because the opportunities are so few. I think I got 3 planes today in total in like 30-40 games.

LOL....in coop my Atlanta's bofores are dying with rust.... with sea salt..   :(  to do her justice...i have to play Random...as much as i don't really want to...:cap_rambo: 

[PVE]
Members
11,226 posts
21,555 battles
3 minutes ago, Shinnidan said:

LOL....in coop my Atlanta's bofores are dying with rust.... with sea salt..   :(  to do her justice...i have to play Random...as much as i don't really want to...:cap_rambo: 

My high for planes post 8.0 was a game in Jean Bart where I was rushed and in close fighting 5 bots. I got 10 that game.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
10,681 battles
22 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

My high for planes post 8.0 was a game in Jean Bart where I was rushed and in close fighting 5 bots. I got 10 that game.

post 8.0 for me....all my ships...did not reach double digits in, Coop.  cause only planes to shoot down are scout planes.  :Smile_hiding: