You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
orangeandblue

Can Dunkerque and Jean Bart share a captain?

20 comments in this topic

[KMS2]
Members
475 posts
6,463 battles

I already have Dunkerque, thinking about Jean Bart even though it's pretty darn expensive. The higher end package does get a 10-point commander, however, 8,000 doubloons, 8,000,000 credits (meh - silver is alright but less appealing in a package as far as swaying my decision making), and about 150 each of assorted flags. The Jean Bart itself seems quite OP except for not having the best armor for tier IX. With the fairly recent Giulio Cesare nerf it does make one a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on premium purchases, especially the pricey ones.

But, back to the main question...can Dunkerque and Jean Bart share a captain if you opt for the lower package and already have a Dunkerque captain? Thanks. :)

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,080 posts
4,389 battles

Yes. They are both premium ships. Any French captain can sail them without penalty. If you train your captain to a tech tree ship, he can do all 3 without penalty, as well as any other French premium you own.

• Cool 3

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

Yah they are both premiums. As if both  benefit from the same skills also yes... mostly. If I had a 19 point captain for each of them, I would got for secondary spec for Dunkerque and AA or suvivability for Jean Bart. Dunkerque can also run Surviability fine though and secondary on Jean Bart is... interesting. I wouldn't really bother with AA on Dunkerque though.

• Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
475 posts
6,463 battles

Would the captain skills be about the same? I'm thinking probably likely quite similar on Dunkerque and Jean Bart since both have similar requirements and strengths to play to or weaknesses to bolster. 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,080 posts
4,389 battles
29 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

suvivability for Jean Bart. Dunkerque can also run Surviability fine

Interesting pick... I firmly believe that the little HP buff is an absurd waste of points on BBs, but that may be just me

28 minutes ago, orangeandblue said:

Would the captain skills be about the same? I'm thinking probably likely quite similar on Dunkerque and Jean Bart since both have similar requirements and strengths to play to or weaknesses to bolster. 

JB can do secondary specs, but its risky with how fragile she is. On top of that, Dunkerque with secondary spec isnt the brightest idea. Your best bet is a standard tank build.

1. PT (or PM if you got good situational awareness and hate loosing turrets)
  2. EM and AR (If you have a special french capt, he comes in handy here)
  3. Bos and Superintendent
  4. FP and CE  (lots of room to play here. Id skip MFAA and secondaries unless you decide for a secondary build. AFT is a valid choice though, especially if you take the secondary mod on JB. JB will actually wreck a DD in a knife fight, so especially for competitive, RPF might be fun to experiment with)

Remember, focus on JB more so for your capt. Its a higher tier, so skill builds actually matter. Down at tier 6, outside of the basics, its more quantity over quality. Better a good capt specced more for Jean in a Dunkerque than vice versa. IE I wouldn't take skills specifically for Dunkerque.

Also make sure said cap is trained to a tech tree ship. Even if its the dang tier 3. A captain trained specifically to a premium is useless, since they can operate them anyhow without penalty.

Edit: JB is a great ship. Not sure about buying tier 9 ships... It is available for coal after all. But great ship. MB reload is a freaking blast. Catch a broadside ship and that extra 15k dmg salvo feels oh so sweet. Gotta watch  taking fire though. Against a Musashi, you are helpless. if its a bow on fight. But it has great concealment, and every consumable imaginable in its toolkit to cover up for that weak armor. I am super hyped to get Bourgogne. 1150 away after ranking out

Edited by _1204_

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
6 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Interesting pick... I firmly believe that the little HP buff is an absurd waste of points on BBs, but that may be just me

Sorry when I mean survivability builds i just mean things like fire prevention,High alert and or superintendant. Things that keep the ship afloat. Survivability expert is a huge waste on BBs and really most cruisers. On that Note JB might be paper when it comes to HE, but like the rest of the high tier French BBs shes deceptively tanky against citadel hits.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,080 posts
4,389 battles
6 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Sorry when I mean survivability builds i just mean things like fire prevention,High alert and or superintendant. Things that keep the ship afloat. Survivability expert is a huge waste on BBs and really most cruisers. On that Note JB might be paper when it comes to HE, but like the rest of the high tier French BBs shes deceptively tanky against citadel hits.

Oh jeez.... I guess the mind sees what it (doesn't) want to. I read that totally wrong:Smile_facepalm:. Yes, I agree, survivability builds are the way to go!

• Cool 1

[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,222 battles

If you've already got a 10 pt captain, I'd just buy the ship itself for 80 US if you're not going to spend the coal for it...although with Yoshini being announced for coal when it comes out, I can't fault you for wanting to hang onto your coal.

Edit to Add: Just looked at the premium shop...130 for the big package or 80 for the ship itself...you can get the ship itself, then throw the other 50 at the Admirals Bounty and come up with a month of prem and another 4,500 doubloons for the same price, just without the flags or silver...just a thought...that's enough doubloons for another T8 premium ship of your choice if ya want.

Edited by Purg473

[FML]
Members
3,654 posts
14,584 battles

Don’t spend money on ships you can get for free in-game. You have a French BB trainer in the form of the Dunkerque - no need to rush to get the JB. That coal stacks up quite quickly when you select the ‘more resources’ daily containers and do the daily missions. 

Muse those hard-earnt buckaroos on something you can’t earn in-game, like Tirpitz, Scharnhorst or Massachusetts.

• Cool 1

[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,222 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Don’t spend money on ships you can get for free in-game. You have a French BB trainer in the form of the Dunkerque - no need to rush to get the JB. That coal stacks up quite quickly when you select the ‘more resources’ daily containers and do the daily missions. 

Muse those hard-earnt buckaroos on something you can’t earn in-game, like Tirpitz, Scharnhorst or Massachusetts.

I tend to agree for the most part, unless he's saving his coal for Yoshini/Salem, at that point, it might be worth buying it in cash, not sure...the only reason I was able to get it when I did was I didn't have any interest in the rest of the coal ships for the forseeable future.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,718 posts
8,649 battles
1 hour ago, orangeandblue said:

Would the captain skills be about the same?

They can be, yes.

Your core build would be PT -> AR -> SI -> CE. SI is optional for Dunkie, but is a must on JB.

The rest is up to you. Personally, I'd spend the rest of points on Vig -> FP -> EM, but you can pick something else, for example BoS -> FP -> EM, or FP -> AFT -> PM.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,956 battles
1 hour ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Why bother with Jean Bart when you can have Richelieu for free?

Because MBRB is a thing, and a very fun one at that. Also having access to the T9 slot and gaining one of the best AA suites for a BB is a nice thing.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,374 posts
14,036 battles

Also Richelieu dispersion is questionnable. As much as I like this ship, she's very inconsistent at landing good volley. 

[VW]
Members
3,896 posts
18,798 battles
2 hours ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Because premium ships make more money and allow you to train commanders.

op, i run aft/bft on both, not tank build. This captain also works in aigle so you get a threefer.

dont spend cash, ise coal, it’s free. And jb is nowhere near op. I laugh when i see one in my mushy. I’ve already taken 3 jb on at once in mushy: killed 2, the third tucked tail and ran but my minions chased him down and finished him off since he only had 10kish hp left after the engagement.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
27,067 posts
15,603 battles

yes, in fact my Jean Bart, Dunkerque and Richelieu share the same 19pt captain 

run tier 9 rank? np~ I have the captain on my Jean Bart

clanmate want to div with me and grind their NC? np desu~! *transfers captain from JB to the Richelieu*

Im sick of this loosing streak and unicum players always on the enemy team!!  thats okaiis I just take my captain off my Richelieu and put him in my Dunkerque for operations 

also Le Terrible, Agile and Friant back in my port as well shares the same 19pt captain.

• Cool 1

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
On 2/25/2019 at 3:04 AM, AlcatrazNC said:

Also Richelieu dispersion is questionnable. As much as I like this ship, she's very inconsistent at landing good volley. 

As strange as it may sound I would trade one of Jean Bart's advantages for Richelieu's speed

[KRAK]
Members
3,547 posts
20,217 battles
On 2/25/2019 at 1:16 AM, Meeso_Thorny said:

JB is an awesome boat.

[WOLF8]
Members
6,828 posts
5,950 battles

I was going to say "Don't forget Gascogne too! She can be a fun ship as well!" but then I figured not as good as JB, lol.

• Cool 2