You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EasyEight

Frustration if attacking invisible DDs...broken spotting system

12 comments in this topic

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
227 posts
9,702 battles

OK, playing more CV battles and spotting is completely broken. It is frustrating -- not to mention a stupid mechanic -- to have to deal with invisible DDs. By the time you spot them you cannot attack, so many times you have to anticipate where you think they will be and then start an attack run against an invisible target. Then if you're lucky you guessed right -- and you have split second to adjust aim and drop your weapons/shoot rockets, etc.

Completely busted, stupid and unrealistic. Yes I know that they don't want CVs to nullify DD stealth but this is ridiculous! Aircraft should spot a greater distance than ships, and shouldn't have to hope they guessed right about where an invisible DD will suddenly appear.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 4

[RLGN]
Members
13,516 posts
23,581 battles
1 minute ago, Leeroooy_Jenkins said:

Not broken, working as intended

Apparently true; as far as I can tell WG wants ships to scout for carriers.

Members
181 posts

specifically search for DD's ?..

hehe, my shadow will see them first before I will. which means I have to fly right over the DD to catch a glimpse of it.:Smile_amazed:

boats will see the DD before planes do, and planes attacking dd's doesn't do anyone any good. focusing attacks on DDs takes planes away from other productive tasks.

aww... looks like DDs must now re-adapt to scout again and CLs to hunt/kill them (and then the forum hate will become focused onto DD/CLs being too OP... "the DDs & CLs are killing me too fast!":Smile_child:)

• Cool 1

[SHPFC]
Members
258 posts
8,127 battles

I may make a harassing attack against DD's at the start to slow and or pause their approach to the cap. Other than that I would much rather hit a BB/CA/CL unless being hunted by the DD. Just seems to be a waste to waste the planes when I can get DOT's going.

Frosty

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
227 posts
9,702 battles

Other than that I would much rather hit a BB/CA/CL unless being hunted by the DD.

Yep -- and when you're being hunted by that DD, it's your airplanes with essentially a 1000 foot tall mast to spot from that can't see a DD until they fly right over it...

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

Not about DDs only. Cruisers as well.  My t6 ranger was broken against invisible Atlanta. i lost half sq till i just spot him. 

[_ARP_]
Members
155 posts
3,293 battles

Carriers aren't really supposed to be attacking dds in my opinion. Their lives are already hard enough with radar cruisers, other dds in knife fights, and a squishy health pool. You should be going after bigger more expensive targets like Bbs and some cruisers. You can still attack dds but predict and start your attack phase earlier. Also if the dds already spotted by your teammate then you will be able to line up a good shot.

Edited by Pyun
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
144 posts
2,491 battles

Before the last hotfix, I would generally fly my fighters around and look for targets of opportunity, and spot the enemy.  If I found a YOLO DD, I would light it up, and attack it.  Now, attacking is extremely difficult due to:

A) inability to spot until on top of targets.

B) dramatically longer attack run prep time, coupled with extremely short attack run.

C) aiming reticle bloom to max if even slightly adjust your course, mostly due to A.

The spotting mechanic is broken, as planes should not be shot by AA before they even see the ship shooting at them.  Maybe have ships spotted immediately upon firing their AA could be a possible fix for this, much like when they fire their main guns.

[NEON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
129 posts
3,003 battles
On 2/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, Sierra1968 said:

Before the last hotfix, I would generally fly my fighters around and look for targets of opportunity, and spot the enemy.  If I found a YOLO DD, I would light it up, and attack it.  Now, attacking is extremely difficult due to:

A) inability to spot until on top of targets.

B) dramatically longer attack run prep time, coupled with extremely short attack run.

C) aiming reticle bloom to max if even slightly adjust your course, mostly due to A.

The spotting mechanic is broken, as planes should not be shot by AA before they even see the ship shooting at them.  Maybe have ships spotted immediately upon firing their AA could be a possible fix for this, much like when they fire their main guns.

this!! pretty much by the time you spot a target he already has thrown every he has onto the air so you either lose a lot of planes or you get your planes so damage that you have to run away (trying to not lose all the planes) or make a drop that's not in optimal angle :Smile_unsure:

Beta Testers
144 posts
2,491 battles

Yeah, the devs are like “We’re changing CV play to make it easier, so more people will play them”, followed by:

1) Increase in attack run prep for torpedo bombers and fighters

2) MASSIVE buff to AA

3)Significant decrease in ability to spot, but not be spotted

4) Drastically reduced attack time for fighters, coupled with aim bloom for maneuvering with torpedo bombers and fighters

5) F key nerf (granted that was abused too much, but maybe needs rethinking now)

plus a few more things I’m probably missing. Ok, maybe CV’s were OP at first, but now, they are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to play.  Usually I’m the only CV in a match (besides my opponent) now, and it’s been REALLY difficult to try and be effective now.  Cruisers and battleships are grouping up now, and DD’s push forward under a Cruiser’s AA bubble now, so CV’s are in a pretty bad spot right now, unless you’re one of those players that knows how to abuse game mechanics right now, then you’re probably fine.  But the casual/recreational player gets boned.