You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JoeSlackman

One Way to Describe Carrier Play Now - Awful

37 comments in this topic

[MMLAT]
Members
29 posts
8,075 battles

The fact that I can only fly one squadron at a time sucks..

The fact that AA is so powerful for level 8-10 vessels sucks.

The last match I played I literally lost my whole squadron every time I tried to make a run between AA and the new "drop fighters where ever you want" feature.

I have to say that carriers are just not any fun.  It is awful to play.  I can't make a difference for my team because all my planes are flying balls of flames.

I don't know why WoW went to the one squadron at a time controls.   I have to say that it is awful.  I used to be able to swarm and catch ships without any support or air cover.  Those days are gone forever I guess.  Now, I have to do one squadron at a time.  Is that supposed to be fun?

I liked Carriers the way they were when I first started playing years ago.  Why all the damn changes??

Joe

• Cool 7

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,144 battles

The CV gameplay has a lot of refining needed for tons of problems, but singular squadrons aren't of them.

The only thing that can be said is "git gud".

• Cool 1
  • Angry 2

[SALVO]
Members
22,937 posts
23,509 battles
15 minutes ago, JoeSlackman said:

The fact that I can only fly one squadron at a time sucks..

The fact that AA is so powerful for level 8-10 vessels sucks.

The last match I played I literally lost my whole squadron every time I tried to make a run between AA and the new "drop fighters where ever you want" feature.

I have to say that carriers are just not any fun.  It is awful to play.  I can't make a difference for my team because all my planes are flying balls of flames.

I don't know why WoW went to the one squadron at a time controls.   I have to say that it is awful.  I used to be able to swarm and catch ships without any support or air cover.  Those days are gone forever I guess.  Now, I have to do one squadron at a time.  Is that supposed to be fun?

I liked Carriers the way they were when I first started playing years ago.  Why all the damn changes??

Joe

Did you ever bother to watch the various developer diaries videos on the CV rework?  They explained all of this.

• Boring 1

[PIZZA]
Members
98 posts
28,627 battles

One answer to your question......two words.....CONSOLE PLATFORM.  Apparently they think the 4-14 year old crowd has disposable income to feed the Wargaming Machine with coinage. You know.....with their allowance money. 

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[MMLAT]
Members
29 posts
8,075 battles
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Did you ever bother to watch the various developer diaries videos on the CV rework?  They explained all of this.

Can you send a link?  I have not watched the videos.   

[SALVO]
Members
22,937 posts
23,509 battles
29 minutes ago, JoeSlackman said:

Look it up on the main website's news section.  You might have to go back 2-3 pages or so.

[SALVO]
Members
22,937 posts
23,509 battles
38 minutes ago, The_Hutt said:

One answer to your question......two words.....CONSOLE PLATFORM.  Apparently they think the 4-14 year old crowd has disposable income to feed the Wargaming Machine with coinage. You know.....with their allowance money. 

Personally, I love the CV rework's general paradigm, i.e. flying the planes and making the actual strikes.  My problem with the rework at the moment is the details.  Right now, I think that they're nerfed carrier play to such a degree that they're essentially unplayable if you want to be able to do decent damage.  I will say that one caveat could be that tier 10 CVs may not have quite as much difficulty as lesser tier CVs.  I don't own a tier 10 CV, and so don't have any direct experience with them.

• Angry 1

[-SYN-]
Members
197 posts
9,035 battles

The new CV attack mechanic is fun -- what is not fun is the broken AA system and the broken spotting system, which make CVs almost unplayable in many games.

• Cool 4

Members
32 posts
3,081 battles

Not poopn in anyones cherrios but they wrecked the carriers.  I do agree that when first introduced the 'play' was better.  But the dd rocket nerf. etc.  They broke it good.  like 8 in a squad but only 3 drop and all take damage on every run wth.  

Ok, its a game. But carriers are the paramount 1st strike weapon.  And the damage they do is unquestionable...  But in this game...  No shite  I did more damage by rushing (in co-op) trying to ram and eventually doing more damage with my AA then the entire combined airforce ROCKETS, torps & bombs lol.

Most expensive boats to buy and just about the worst xp?..., last game was in with a tier X , I have us tier 7...  I suicide to watch the tier X carrier.  I die fast get 8k (aa I guess).  Tier x plays all game gets 14K lol

I get it, you gave up on the carriers cuz nobody plays them and when you make them even slightly effective LARGER GROUPS OF PLAYERS COMPLAIN>

I guess my question is:  how long is WOWS offering the EXP buy back for the Carriers!!!

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles

Played about 15 games in my Saipan yesterday,  11 of them were t10 4 t8.   Highest damage game was about 110k, lowest 25k averaged about 60k. 

T10 ships eat my planes, the softer targets I can get a single strike before loosing the rest of the squadron,  the aa platforms delete my planes before I can even see them, dd's are pointless to go after due to minimal detection and the fact that rockets and bombs don't do hardly any damage to them anyway (I mean seriously,  as hard as it can be to land firebombs on something as nimble as a dd, if they do land they should be devastating not just incapacitate a module.).  I watched one dd outrun a torpedo strike too.  Due to the ridiculous aa and the terrible recovery rate of the saipan I was getting deplaned and spend most of the match flying partial squadrons and yes I know how to avoid flak.

In tier 8 I saw mostly cruisers and dd's,  cruisers.  Atlanta at t7 wrecked my planes like it was t10.  If 2 bb's are close to each other they may as well be a cruiser, they eat planes as well.  Finally found a full health bismark that was off by himself.  Pretty sure it was a bot as it did nothing to defend itself other than occasionally turning during a drop.  I worked on him the entire match and it took me the entire match to kill him.  Landing 3 to 4 torpedoes per strike, rockets and firebombs.  He killed most of my planes and by the time I killed him I was using squadrons of 2 because of it.  

Even the couple t6 bb's could avoid 2 out of 4 torps by simple maneuvers.   Oddly enough my highest damage to one ship was a Massachusetts I forced into beaching himself trying to avoid a drop and I managed to hit him with 2 sets of 4 torps 2 separate floods and fires although I did not get the kill.  It seems like the ability to do any real damage has less to do with how good the CV is and more how bad the ship he is attacking was. 

The low alpha strike damage and subsequent reliance on dot damage means people are constantly stealing your kills as well.  Definitely not a ship for racking up xp.

• Cool 2

[-TOG-]
Members
165 posts
1,599 battles

The idea of the DPS being a DOT that is applied by many attack run via squadrons is no more. The DPS isnt there because of the drop of a flight (Or two) so that you're not bleeding planes for the endgame. 

• Boring 1

Members
32 posts
3,081 battles

Ok, just to play devils advocate.  Since none of the existing groups want to be sacrificed to the mighty carriers.  Thoughts on making a group of planes with SUB specific bombs, give the subs the ability to stay under much longer and the planes able to detect them pretty well.

Then let the carriers and subs duke it out? ezpez :cap_popcorn:

• Funny 1

[USNCB]
Members
8 posts

I have seen a single CV have two squadrons (i.e. two torpedo bombers) in the air.  Is that because one is returning or is it possible to have two squadrons from one CV in the air attacking and if so, how?

Members
4 posts
16,857 battles

I am stopping playing this game because of this ship called carrier, gave a giant advantage to a horrible and useless ship for the game, only disrupts the development of the game.

• Cool 1

[-GS-]
Members
13 posts
4,215 battles
On 2/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, EasyEight said:

The new CV attack mechanic is fun -- what is not fun is the broken AA system and the broken spotting system, which make CVs almost unplayable in many games.

Agreed 100%. I like the new style. As long as I can just sightsee. If you want me to actually help my team? That's where everything breaks down.

Members
32 posts
3,081 battles

double or triple the EXP for the carriers until the rework is complete --- you will be able to work in peace and just about any change will be endured for a time.  You could even make the 'super exp' from carriers only useable to buy other carriers.  Certainly would get more boats in the water. 

[-TOG-]
Members
165 posts
1,599 battles
13 hours ago, Sharks777_1 said:

I have seen a single CV have two squadrons (i.e. two torpedo bombers) in the air.  Is that because one is returning or is it possible to have two squadrons from one CV in the air attacking and if so, how?

Yup, or they're planes returning from attack runs. 

[SHPFC]
Members
224 posts
7,311 battles

Ok calm down and let's think this through.

AA yes is horrible to deal with in tier 10 matches. I hate it with a passion. No need to attack anything USN or the Mino. But with the AA cruiser being spotted at 5km doesn't leave many planes left if any at all.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, JoeSlackman said:

I used to be able to swarm and catch ships without any support or air cover.

Next is this you must choose your targets wisely. People still isolate themselves. Typically a BB. And as far as the squad's yup 1 at a time. Multiple targets with 1 flight provided you make it through the AA.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:24 PM, piper____maru said:

I am stopping playing this game because of this ship called carrier, gave a giant advantage to a horrible and useless ship for the game, only disrupts the development of the game.

BYE.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:40 PM, Toxie2725 said:

The idea of the DPS being a DOT that is applied by many attack run via squadrons is no more. The DPS isnt there because of the drop of a flight (Or two) so that you're not bleeding planes for the endgame. 

Accept they Nerf'd the chance of flooding and now if you do get a flood it is less damage. Granted ships can have 2 floods now but still less damage. And even less so when it takes 8-10 torps to get a flood going you don't have enough planes. Not to mention the CV I use is the Midway and most torp runs are evaded completely due to Excessive torp aim time (your in AA forever), How slow they get to the target with proper lead the ship will turn and you miss may land 1 to much lead all miss to little lead all miss. It drops 6 at a time and still horrible Dmg and chance of flood they are pretty useless,

Frosty

[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,017 battles
6 minutes ago, KAAOS_Frosty said:

Ok calm down and let's think this through.

AA yes is horrible to deal with in tier 10 matches. I hate it with a passion. No need to attack anything USN or the Mino. But with the AA cruiser being spotted at 5km doesn't leave many planes left if any at all.

Next is this you must choose your targets wisely. People still isolate themselves. Typically a BB. And as far as the squad's yup 1 at a time. Multiple targets with 1 flight provided you make it through the AA.

BYE.

Accept they Nerf'd the chance of flooding and now if you do get a flood it is less damage. Granted ships can have 2 floods now but still less damage. And even less so when it takes 8-10 torps to get a flood going you don't have enough planes. Not to mention the CV I use is the Midway and most torp runs are evaded completely due to Excessive torp aim time (your in AA forever), How slow they get to the target with proper lead the ship will turn and you miss may land 1 to much lead all miss to little lead all miss. It drops 6 at a time and still horrible Dmg and chance of flood they are pretty useless,

Frosty

LOL no the OP is right, awful is quite a good adjective for the current state of carrier play. IMHO it probably isn't strong enough, I think it sucks. Matter of fact, things that do suck find it offensive that they are being compared to carrier play. All over the world, "things that suck" are voting to get WoWS carrier play tossed out and given it's own word because it sucks worse than all the other sucky things. 

I always am amused at players who are so flippant about their fellow players being so frustrated that they quit the game. It is truly repulsive but I suppose eventually all that will be left playing the game is a handful of silly players watching their game die before their eyes. I have seen it many times over the decades of playing online games. It is shameful behavior but I expect nothing less from some people. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Funny 1

[SHPFC]
Members
224 posts
7,311 battles

Ok.

3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

awful is quite a good adjective for the current state of carrier play.

I hate the current state of CV play. I don't like flying into unknown AA ring's until my planes vaporize. They wanted to help the DD's not be spotted but gave every ship a 20% reduction in spotting range. It was bad prior to that you would fly to the edge of the ring and see them. Now you are well in the AA ring losing planes before you see them. They have Nerf'd every CV to the point they neither do Damage effectively or Spot effectively.

Frosty

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,873 posts
32,109 battles
On 2/24/2019 at 1:03 PM, JoeSlackman said:

Look up Farazelleth on YouTube. He was an ace CV player in the old RTS mode and did a great series of tutorial videos. He has tried very hard to be positive about the CV rework... with limited success. But you can track the development as he ran through various test server variations. 

P.S. I am trying hard to succeed with the new CVs but the mechanics keep changing. Rocket planes can’t aim any more.  You have to over-fly a DD, turn when it’s no l8nger detected, and start your attack run before spotting him again hoping the DD hasn’t turned unpredictably.  I dumped 5 torpedoes out of a single run into a Musashi for 11k damage. Whoop dee f-ing doo!  Lost the rest of my squad because the Mino behind it. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Funny 1

[-TOG-]
Members
165 posts
1,599 battles
12 hours ago, KAAOS_Frosty said:

Yes, the torpedoes are too hard to use well for the damage return, as are the rockets. I also use the midway, and hitting with a full load of torps does around 11.5k damage to a BB.

Another complaint is that it's overly punishing to try and burn down one target. It's more efficient to circle less and hit targets that are lined up for an attack run then circle and eat AA. This means that the majority of kills we really get are clean-up, or steals :p.

[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,490 battles
On 2/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, EasyEight said:

Totally agree.  Spotting needs bumped up 10%, and fighters need their attack parameters buffed up a bit also.

[MHG]
Members
292 posts
6,234 battles

I have to agree that its been going downhill since 8.0 dropped. Nerf after nerf has made them largely suck. Is it still possible to do some serious damage? Sure. But when you hit stealth AA, red blobs, smoked Minotaurs, more red blobs and planes evaporate... you get reduced to flying around for 10 minutes doing absolutely nothing. Its painful. Its not fun. It COSTS you money to play them. My Midway stats are not terrible but they are not amazing either. That being said- you can 100% tell which game is which by the damage output. Red blobs get you 50k damage IF you are lucky. Games where a few BBs split off and over extend or DDs push in too far away from the crowd are the matches where pulling six figure games are possible. Problem is there is no in between. You either have a good round where you can strike, lose planes but recover them over time or you end up in a match where you can either deplane yourself in 9 minutes and would have been better off AFK or fly in circles waiting for the AA to thin out somewhat so that maybe an attack run can happen without losing entire squads.