Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

So, add 'kamakazes' to list of broken things with Dive Bombers.

10 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,430 posts

Thought I had seen this a couple of times before when playing my CV, but definitely had it confirmed tonight.

My dive bombers were on an attack run on a BB. Nicely lined up stem to stern for their first (and only) pass  - because I don't bother dodging flak anymore (it's pointless). I completely fill the green recticle with the BB (can't miss....right?) and hit my drop button. I hear the bombs whistle away as my planes are blown to pieces over the ship and - - -  nothing. No hits, no misses, NOTHING. Planes gone, bombs gone.

Apparently the planes have to survive long enough for their pseudo-kamikaze bombs to actually hit. If you blow up the planes before the bombs touch something (ship, water, whatever), they just disappear.

Look WG, if this is intended programming, just give me real kamakazes - at least I'd have the satisfaction of watching a real time effect of what is going on in-game. Planes die - no damage. Planes hit a ship - damage. Heck - -  you've already got me halfway there by having me ignore the flak just so I have a chance at scoring SOME damage. 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
15,660 posts
12,778 battles

You have to yell "Roosavelt Sama Banzai!!!!!!!" as you go in for suicide attacks. It helps them live longer.

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,362 battles

Hate to break it to you. The bombs have a flight time. When you drop them they don't teleport into the enemy ship. They fall. The sooner you drop the longer they fall, so that green reticle being on the BB means you probably landed your bombs behind the ship. start the drop sooner, aim ahead of them, and dive lower to drop on them or release early but in front of the target. The planes DO NOT need to survive to have the hits register.

Beta Testers
803 posts
4,837 battles

He's talking about when you drop your bombs right as your planes die, you hear the bombs drop but they don't actually. Had it happen dozens of times while grinding the Carrier medal in Midway. It's like COD when you'd launch a grenade and I'd disappear mid flight.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,741 posts
12,287 battles
28 minutes ago, Carrier_Graf_Zeppelin said:

He's talking about when you drop your bombs right as your planes die, you hear the bombs drop but they don't actually. Had it happen dozens of times while grinding the Carrier medal in Midway. It's like COD when you'd launch a grenade and I'd disappear mid flight.

Latency between the player and the server. CV player hits the button to drop the bombs, the computer does the animation and sounds while it sends the drop information to the server. The server had already determined the aircraft have been shot down before the drop information arrived.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,654 posts
14,584 battles
51 minutes ago, Carrier_Graf_Zeppelin said:

18 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Latency between the player and the server. CV player hits the button to drop the bombs, the computer does the animation and sounds while it sends the drop information to the server. The server had already determined the aircraft have been shot down before the drop information arrived.

Or is it more like the last second torpedo launches of yore - you would hear the sound and watch the animation of torps launch, but if server decided you died before the launch was complete, then no torps fired?

So many people complained about that such it was eventually ‘fixed’ to fire the entire launcher (or just single, if single fire) when you hit fire even if you die. 

I wouldn’t mind a similar approach to launch if the ordinance has left the aircraft then the aircraft is destroyed - if the plane is destroyed with weapons still on their racks then no launch. 

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,628 battles
4 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Or is it more like the last second torpedo launches of yore - you would hear the sound and watch the animation of torps launch, but if server decided you died before the launch was complete, then no torps fired?

So many people complained about that such it was eventually ‘fixed’ to fire the entire launcher (or just single, if single fire) when you hit fire even if you die. 

I wouldn’t mind a similar approach to launch if the ordinance has left the aircraft then the aircraft is destroyed - if the plane is destroyed with weapons still on their racks then no launch. 

Or just fix carriers so that there is only one per side and they can't swarm a target non-stop.

Honestly I think the problem with balancing CVs is this broken idea where either CVs get to keep their strike capacity through avoiding AA fire or they are punished for making a mistake...the balancing between those two sides is what is so broken right now CVs are for masochists. If WG wants to keep up the notion of unlimited planes on CVs they need to increase the refresh rate of planes given the current AA environment.

• Boring 1

[TMS]
Members
3,145 posts
31,203 battles
37 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The server also has a low tickrate.

If i switch targets quickly with my guns when in my DDs my first volley falls short/ low. I dont notice so much when playing BBs because longer aiming times.

Edited by Final8ty

[SIMP]
Members
1,430 posts
11 hours ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Hate to break it to you. The bombs have a flight time. When you drop them they don't teleport into the enemy ship. They fall. The sooner you drop the longer they fall, so that green reticle being on the BB means you probably landed your bombs behind the ship. start the drop sooner, aim ahead of them, and dive lower to drop on them or release early but in front of the target. The planes DO NOT need to survive to have the hits register.

You need to learn to read an entire post before commenting.

Read it again and you will see I said NOTHING happened - no hits, NO MISSES -  - NOTHING!

As others have said below you  - this seems to be the 'torpedo' glitch all over again. It's something that needs to be fixed by WG.

Edited by capncrunch21
  • Meh 1

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,362 battles
8 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

You need to learn to read an entire post before commenting.

Read it again and you will see I said NOTHING happened - no hits, NO MISSES -  - NOTHING!

As others have said below you  - this seems to be the 'torpedo' glitch all over again. It's something that needs to be fixed by WG.

Oh I read. I'm gonna remove the niceness in my original post this time. Your OP makes you sound: Bad, confused, wrong. Again, even if this bug existed, which it does not, you would be missing anyways. Pay attention, try to recreate it in training room, RECORD it. Until then I will not give this claim a second thought.

• Meh 2

Sign in to follow this