Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Audioknight

So sick of being perma spotted radar and planes as a DD

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

75
[EPEEN]
Members
39 posts

So once again trying to play my shammy. At the start of the game i always stay close to the fleet till the rocket planes leave from their scout run to find dd's. So i try to flank A cap because i cant just go in to the cap because their will be 2 or 3 radar crusier's camping behind every island. And if i go straight in as soon as the cap starts changing here comes the planes and all the radar as soon as i pop smoke. So the only strat i have is try to flank the cap kill the radar camping crusier's from 12k or more but nope here comes the planes. So i pop smoke then the planes stay over my smoke till it ends and the radar cruiser come to get in radar range and now your radar-ed and have planes on you. Maybe you need to fix smoke so radar cant see through it. Some thing has to change. These little hot fixes didn't help much at all. So much radar in the game and so many planes that move so quickly the DD has a hard time of doing anything. Oh yeah and getting yelled at by your teammates why is our DD not capping. And don't say go play another DD with better AA. No i did the work grinding out the shammy that's what i like and should be able to play. DD's main protecting is speed stealth and smoke and now the planes are faster then you so speed is gone. You get perma spotted so stealth is gone .OK so you smoke nope once again you get radar ed or planes stay above you till smoke ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
602
[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,757 battles

Yep, it sucks, and it’s not gonna change. The proposed radar “nerf” is actually a buff because WG is retarded and can’t do arithmetic.  The 8.0.3 patch reduced air spotting range... for ALL classes. Yes it sorta helps but at 200 kph the CV’s seem to still find me easily. Once you’re spotted, it’s like you said... either planes overhead or radar incoming through rocks.  I simply stopped playing Shimakaze, sorry.

Edited by n00bot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,351
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,722 posts
8,649 battles
21 minutes ago, Audioknight said:

At the start of the game i always stay close to the fleet till the rocket planes leave from their scout run to find dd's. So i try to flank A cap because i cant just go in to the cap because their will be 2 or 3 radar crusier's camping behind every island. 

1) Dont go into caps unless you're reasonably sure where the radar cruisers are, or you got a plan to get out if things go south. For example, some caps have islands nearby that can shield you for the duration of radar. Remember, the cap is worth much less than you staying alive.

2) You can bait radar. For example, if you know there is a radar cruiser near a cap, then go in full speed, and stay near the edge without slowing down. Once the cap starts he'll pop the radar, that's where you turn tail and wiggle until you're out of range or radar runs out. Then come back and cap.

3) No need to stick to fleet at the start. Just turn off your AA, and be aware of where the enemy planes are going. For example, dont be in a straight line from those planes to a likely target on your team. Air sporting distance was always small enough to avoid airplanes most of the time, now it's even better. You can also always use smoke to disengage, most carriers arent patient enough to wait for you to come out.

4) Dont be a ninja at the edge of the map, separated from your entire team. This was always bad form anyway, with carriers its outright punishing. Be ahead of the team to screen enemy DDs and to torpedo the enemy capital ships that venture too far forward, but close enough to return to the AA bubble before the CV planes come back for the second time.

5) Do your best to survive unto the mid and especially end game, that's where DDs being to truly shine. If that means playing safe for the first five minutes, then so be it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,416
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,596 posts
17,309 battles

I know Random is like herding cats, but if you can find a friendly AA cruiser who knows how to keep you in his air bubble...that can help.  Especially so with the new spotting mechanic and the nerf'd fighter cap.

There's also timing.  A CV can only fly one squadron at a time.  And they often only do repeat business if you give them a reason to repeat.  As a CV captain, if I see a DD out of position without cover...I'm coming back again...and again (unless some other juicy target pops up or a greater crisis develops).  If you've got AA cover, I'm likely to go somewhere else.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,982
[PVE]
Members
3,802 posts
16,244 battles

The best solution is for everyone to play cv's!   I wonder what would happen if the random que only contained cvs?

Face it, the era of the WW2 role based dd is gone.   It and the baby went out the window with the bath water.    Now, it's all guns, radar and planes on small congested maps that produce fast games.    Arcade games.   The history perspective wasn't producing the revenue because the games were a lot slower.   So, the cruiser line split till now, the CV debacle.    

It may go full circle and get most of the way back to ww2 roles but, I doubt it.     Only time will tell.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,579 posts
21,429 battles

I've played Kagero and Yugumo since the CV rework launched but without smoke, I can't say I've had as bad an experience as the OP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
702
[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles

I know a shimmy, is a shammy it's stupid cousin? Because radar has been around a long time, so don't blame the CV for your radar problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
8 posts
5,932 battles
2 hours ago, Audioknight said:

So once again trying to play my shammy. At the start of the game i always stay close to the fleet till the rocket planes leave from their scout run to find dd's. So i try to flank A cap because i cant just go in to the cap because their will be 2 or 3 radar crusier's camping behind every island. And if i go straight in as soon as the cap starts changing here comes the planes and all the radar as soon as i pop smoke. So the only strat i have is try to flank the cap kill the radar camping crusier's from 12k or more but nope here comes the planes. So i pop smoke then the planes stay over my smoke till it ends and the radar cruiser come to get in radar range and now your radar-ed and have planes on you. Maybe you need to fix smoke so radar cant see through it. Some thing has to change. These little hot fixes didn't help much at all. So much radar in the game and so many planes that move so quickly the DD has a hard time of doing anything. Oh yeah and getting yelled at by your teammates why is our DD not capping. And don't say go play another DD with better AA. No i did the work grinding out the shammy that's what i like and should be able to play. DD's main protecting is speed stealth and smoke and now the planes are faster then you so speed is gone. You get perma spotted so stealth is gone .OK so you smoke nope once again you get radar ed or planes stay above you till smoke ends.

After the last hotfix, all I can say is, "Do hear that Audioknight, it's the sound of the world's smallest violin playing just for you." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,610
[RLGN]
Members
13,488 posts
23,534 battles
1 hour ago, vak_ said:

3) No need to stick to fleet at the start. Just turn off your AA, and be aware of where the enemy planes are going. For example, dont be in a straight line from those planes to a likely target on your team. Air sporting distance was always small enough to avoid airplanes most of the time, now it's even better. You can also always use smoke to disengage, most carriers arent patient enough to wait for you to come out.

(snip)

5) Do your best to survive unto the mid and especially end game, that's where DDs being to truly shine. If that means playing safe for the first five minutes, then so be it.

3) amazed at how many played type/talk like they just charge right into a cap and expect not to be spotted. It’s not like you couldn’t see the planes first even in RTS.

It’s like nobody even thought of temporarily running to the side or something to avoid getting spotted...

5) So many times (but not every time of course!) I do exactly that and wind up winning games by being the last destroyer still alive.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,848
[WOLFG]
Members
27,103 posts
7,217 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I've played Kagero and Yugumo since the CV rework launched but without smoke....

I just got Kag, and I'm scared to try that, CVs or no lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

3) amazed at how many played type/talk like they just charge right into a cap and expect not to be spotted. It’s not like you couldn’t see the planes first even in RTS.

It’s like nobody even thought of temporarily running to the side or something to avoid getting spotted...

5) So many times (but not every time of course!) I do exactly that and wind up winning games by being the last destroyer still alive.

My solution to DDs:

 

Edited by Vangm94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,351
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,722 posts
8,649 battles
15 minutes ago, C14Alpha said:

DDs can maneuver to avoid attacks by planes, but it becomes nearly impossible to avoid destruction when the enemy team -and it can be a majority of the team- can also sustain focused fire on a single DD.

Reducing the air detection range of ships, reducing the alpha strike capability of planes, reducing the durability of planes, and increasing the AA strength of ships have not addressed the core problem.

No ship in the game can survive sustained fire from the majority of the enemy team. Some ships can live longer than others when this happens, but that's about it. It's this way by design.

Either avoid being in situations where everyone and their aunt will shoot at you if you get spotted (map awareness is key), or accept the risk of an untimely death if it's worth it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,780 battles
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

No ship in the game can survive sustained fire from the majority of the enemy team. Some ships can live longer than others when this happens, but that's about it. It's this way by design.

Either avoid being in situations where everyone and their aunt will shoot at you if you get spotted (map awareness is key), or accept the risk of an untimely death if it's worth it.

What's a minimap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
627 posts
8,271 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I just got Kag, and I'm scared to try that, CVs or no lol.

I haven't played smoke in ages, and Kagero is my top performing ship and Yugo is second or third. I get 200k damage once a year. I get 2k damage once a month. I can live with both. But breaking 100k is now a lot tougher since 8.0 hit. But TRB can still be played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,349
[--K--]
[--K--]
Members
4,214 posts
19,225 battles
3 hours ago, Audioknight said:

So once again trying to play my shammy. At the start of the game i always stay close to the fleet till the rocket planes leave from their scout run to find dd's. So i try to flank A cap because i cant just go in to the cap because their will be 2 or 3 radar crusier's camping behind every island. And if i go straight in as soon as the cap starts changing here comes the planes and all the radar as soon as i pop smoke. So the only strat i have is try to flank the cap kill the radar camping crusier's from 12k or more but nope here comes the planes. So i pop smoke then the planes stay over my smoke till it ends and the radar cruiser come to get in radar range and now your radar-ed and have planes on you. Maybe you need to fix smoke so radar cant see through it. Some thing has to change. These little hot fixes didn't help much at all. So much radar in the game and so many planes that move so quickly the DD has a hard time of doing anything. Oh yeah and getting yelled at by your teammates why is our DD not capping. And don't say go play another DD with better AA. No i did the work grinding out the shammy that's what i like and should be able to play. DD's main protecting is speed stealth and smoke and now the planes are faster then you so speed is gone. You get perma spotted so stealth is gone .OK so you smoke nope once again you get radar ed or planes stay above you till smoke ends.

  I'm sick of it too:etc_red_button::cap_rambo:

 Map awareness is gonna be huge don't forget to turn on your last known enemy position for your Mini map helps a lot

you have to be able to know where the enemy is even if you don't know where the enemy is

 It takes experience and thats the hardest part It's not easy but that's fun of it for me to play DDs

 I could go on and on there is alot you have to do to be good at it

 Anyways I wish you luck unless you're on the other team:Smile_honoring:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
117
[ENDO]
Members
280 posts
2 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I've played Kagero and Yugumo since the CV rework launched but without smoke, I can't say I've had as bad an experience as the OP. 

I believe that I have seen you play before. You do live up to your name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×