Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

Reports of the demise of CVs are greatly exaggerated.

34 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
361 posts
8,048 battles

Just played an 8 on 8 game with Noster jocking  the opposing team's CV. Even though they lost, he pretty much showed that a tier VI carrier can dominate. I was running a T61 and once he spotted me and focused, I decided to just run  with it and see if I could dodge his attacks-especially attack aircraft. No dice-he was pretty much able to hit me on every pass with rockets or his dive bombers. I realized that he is a good player but I think it serves as a good example of how very strong carriers are and how it all comes down to a the skill of the player. CVs are not nerfed to any great extent. It is however very nice to see so many games without CVs today because many CV players are convinced that they have been nerfed to redundancy. This is not true.

A DD captain who is operating alone and spotted is pretty much dead meat vs rocket firing aircraft if up against an experienced player. I can assure you of that from experience.  Dodging ,  jukeing and changing speeds did not seem to throw him off. So I say to CV captains that you need to quite complaining and just sharpen up your skills a bit. 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

I see a CV in every single game -- that I play a CV -- oh, wait...

You do realize that an 8 v 8 means that one CV was waiting for 5 minutes and a queue dump occurred?

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

Members
3,095 posts
12,105 battles
14 minutes ago, handybilly said:

A DD captain who is operating alone and spotted is pretty much dead meat vs rocket firing aircraft if up against an experienced player. I can assure you of that from experience.  Dodging ,  jukeing and changing speeds did not seem to throw him off. So I say to CV captains that you need to quite complaining and just sharpen up your skills a bit. 

Have you tried to turn your AA guns off?  Did you try to turn into his attack squadrons full speed once he loses sight of you?  You know, skilled players can be found on both sides of CV vs DD fight, and skilled DD player in royal pain in the neck with new changes.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles
4 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Just played an 8 on 8 game with Noster jocking  the opposing team's CV. Even though they lost, he pretty much showed that a tier VI carrier can dominate. I was running a T61 and once he spotted me and focused, I decided to just run  with it and see if I could dodge his attacks-especially attack aircraft. No dice-he was pretty much able to hit me on every pass with rockets or his dive bombers. I realized that he is a good player but I think it serves as a good example of how very strong carriers are and how it all comes down to a the skill of the player. CVs are not nerfed to any great extent. It is however very nice to see so many games without CVs today because many CV players are convinced that they have been nerfed to redundancy. This is not true.

Please do not tell the CV players it isn't broken, otherwise they will want to come back and use them.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
361 posts
8,048 battles

I do but I don't see what that has to do with my remarks. I  have played about ten games today and only seen carriers in about three.

Members
631 posts
11 battles

I gave you a +1 for positive vibes. that said, Tier 6 is goofy, I am sure Notser brought a 19 pt captain to a game stick fight... Was it a 5-6 game? or 6-8 game? 

Many players at tier 5-6 are brand new and don't even know how to spec captains yet.

[CVA16]
Members
4,994 posts
14,915 battles

Just wondering:

How much damage did he do per pass/strike? How many strikes to sink you (if he did)?

How many of his planes did you shoot down?

Was his spotting you causing you to take a lot of extra damage from other red ships? Preventing you from doing anything useful?

How was his final damage ranking on the red team?

[ARGSY]
Members
361 posts
8,048 battles
15 minutes ago, Excuse_Maker said:

I gave you a +1 for positive vibes. that said, Tier 6 is goofy, I am sure Notser brought a 19 pt captain to a game stick fight... Was it a 5-6 game? or 6-8 game? 

Many players at tier 5-6 are brand new and don't even know how to spec captains yet.

Very true, but my point was that it is not the CVs but the skill level of the players. Inexperienced players are going to suffer but from my experience here you can't blame the CV.

[-TOG-]
Members
172 posts
2,016 battles

So a Unicom player did well in a low-tier battle...tell us more about how a class you don't play isn't broken. 

Hint: It's broken. They broke the CV's. They were supposed to REDUCE the delta between a Unicom player and a normal player, not make it worse. That was the POINT of the rework. 

Edited by Toxie2725
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,957 posts
14,614 battles

"Danm one unicum chase me to death! thats of course means the class still goodstrong!'

[ARGSY]
Members
361 posts
8,048 battles
18 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Just wondering:

How much damage did he do per pass/strike? How many strikes to sink you (if he did)?

How many of his planes did you shoot down?

Was his spotting you causing you to take a lot of extra damage from other red ships? Preventing you from doing anything useful?

How was his final damage ranking on the red team?

All good questions. T 61 has poor AA and I only shot down one. No surprise there. He did focus on me for a while but in an 8x8 game he probably had that luxury. I think I went down in six to seven strikes. We were alone so I took only damage from him.  He placed first by far on a losing team with three ships sunk. After I died, I watched him focus on a French BB while the game ran down. He took some losses but basically took the BB down from 60% strength in very little time. He was the last player and smoked one of two DDs that were stalking him and finished him with torps. But my side had five ships left when he was solo and he sunk two of them before going down. Good play for sure but in the whole scheme of things he showed want a carrier can do very well. 

[NAUTY]
Members
614 posts
29 minutes ago, handybilly said:

U do realize Notser is basically Unicum right? Unicums will be good if you give them a tooth pick to fire, and a spoon to paddle with . the game shouldnt be balanced areound Elite players, as it makes the game impossible for us average players looking to have fun and be decent in a class.

My next question is: Do you even CV bra? You obviously don't as you would see CV's are Completely Shot to crapnow.

a DD can slowly and leisurely make his way to my CV half speed, and I cant do crapto take him out..Literally NOTHING!.

EVERY shot misses NOW..

[WORX]
Members
9,645 posts
17,603 battles
52 minutes ago, handybilly said:

?????:cap_book:????:cap_wander:???:cap_popcorn:

If History was our best teacher...Some players distorted thinking (who dont play CV),  are the worst students...

I really have a issue when CCs or Youtube WOWs entertainers are now the barometer of game balance.  Because of these notions.. The worst patches of the game ( 0.8.0.1, 0.8.0.2, 0.8..0.3) were created... 

CVs are dead, its return to being invalid class cemented by powers at be whom are themselves going threw an identity crisis just like the CV class.

Until the role of the CV is defined,  as a DOT ship. Going after solely DDs  and denial to do DMG to big ships because of strong AA. IS the many reason the CV class is dead in WOWS. 

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
361 posts
8,048 battles
6 minutes ago, Toxie2725 said:

So a Unicom player did well in a low-tier battle...tell us more about how a class you don't play isn't broken. 

Hint: It's broken. They broke the CV's. They were supposed to REDUCE the delta between a Unicom player and a normal player, not make it worse. That was the POINT of the rework. 

Well, I think if one ship can dominate a game-no matter the player then it is a problem. You have to remember that the bulk of players in any game will be surface jocks and virtually all of us have been unhappy with CVs since the rework. That indicates that there is a serious problem. It does not matter if I play the class or not. If the bulk of the players are not happy then you have a broken game because they will eventually go play Fortnight or something else. Leaving you CV jocks with not much to do. I want you to have fun but if carriers dominate, then this game will die and die fast. 

• Cool 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,537 posts
10,372 battles

Most CV players are having a hard time at T6.  An example of a good player doing well at that tier is a great example of the problems with CVs.  The disparity between good and poor players is too great.  It makes it very difficult to balance the game.  There will always be a pretty big group that will be adversely affected no matter what is done to try to fix it.  That creates a problem for the game.  

[NAUTY]
Members
614 posts
11 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Well, I think if one ship can dominate a game-no matter the player then it is a problem. You have to remember that the bulk of players in any game will be surface jocks and virtually all of us have been unhappy with CVs since the rework. That indicates that there is a serious problem. It does not matter if I play the class or not. If the bulk of the players are not happy then you have a broken game because they will eventually go play Fortnight or something else. Leaving you CV jocks with not much to do. I want you to have fun but if carriers dominate, then this game will die and die fast. 

Your assertions are completely false.

I do the LEAST amount of DMG in a CV as compared to any other ship class I play. CONSISTENTLY. CV strengths are spotting, and slightly annoying players with they're drops..which are more like Bird droppings since they do sooo little DMG.

DOOD, CV's are NOTHING compared to what they used to be NOTHING literally. We used to be able to one shot ships...now we just sorta scratch paint. and you all STILL complain.

Go ahead..go play CV's now..its completely useless and no fun.

• Boring 1

[-TOG-]
Members
172 posts
2,016 battles
15 minutes ago, handybilly said:

EXACTLY. NONE of the CV players are happy EITHER. It's NOT FUN anymore, and the CV's are by FAR the hardest class to play, which was supposed to be the POINT of the re-work, and the up-tiered and layered AA makes it...suck. Hard. 

Members
488 posts
1 hour ago, handybilly said:

Dodging ,  jukeing and changing speeds did not seem to throw him off.

Explain exactly what you do when you see an attack plane squadron coming towards you, then explain exactly what you do after his first attack as he seeks to attack a second time.  

I don’t think dodging means what you think it means when it comes to DDs and attack planes (let alone bombers).  

I can only use bombers with any degree of success against clueless DDs who have likely never played carriers.  

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles

No, a well-played CV can still give you some headache.

Problem is WG focused on nerfing entire class instead of the individual ships to lessen the skill gap.  Made a couple adjustments to my Midway strategy and had a 130K damage in her--and I don't even main CVs anymore. Rockets are still good at nailing a DD if predict where he's going, DB are excellent at hitting hard, and the TB still make people panic.

It comes down to whether people stay grouped for AA, you know, adapt instead of dying 100x to the same thing. Even a Shima's AA will knock down planes that linger.

The stealth AA is a major PITA. Would've made more sense to reduce aerial detection of DDs by 10%, but no other classes. As a CR main, I'm used to being largely ignored for buff or nerf anyway, and BBs are more or less fine (a few, like FDG, could arguably use a little help).

Members
488 posts
1 hour ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Please do not tell the CV players it isn't broken, otherwise they will want to come back and use them.

Please don’t tell DD players people still play CVs, otherwise they will want to come here and whine about them. 

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
34 minutes ago, handybilly said:

I'm a CA player and have not had any issues with CVs since 0.8.0.0. Don't be putting words in my mouth.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,799 battles

Playing Kaga like a battleship. I am having "fun" even if I do die in each battle. I can get above 50k damage so I am happy enough. :cap_old:

[NAUTY]
Members
614 posts
11 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Playing Kaga like a battleship. I am having "fun" even if I do die in each battle. I can get above 50k damage so I am happy enough. :cap_old:

I hear you can actually do much better in a CV now..just yoloing in with a secondaries build and forget the planes entirely. I'm going to do that myself and provide result screenshots. And bye GOD if this yields better results then actually launching planes..WG has truly succeeded in the JOKEs department.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
5,906 battles
1 hour ago, Toxie2725 said:

Speaking as the normal player from your example, they haven't broken the class, and they have reduced that delta.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,357 posts
6,799 battles
15 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

I hear you can actually do much better in a CV now..just yoloing in with a secondaries build and forget the planes entirely. I'm going to do that myself and provide result screenshots. And bye GOD if this yields better results then actually launching planes..WG has truly succeeded in the JOKEs department.

Thing is, it's no different from RTS Ryujo. It's just that IDC whether or I win or lose in Ryujo because I had a lot of fun. I am in IDGAF whether or I win or lose in Kaga because... it's "fun" to not be able to slow down when I am in control of a plane. Anytime I use other than flying my planes is best used attacking faster and faster and faster until I get my 203mm guns shooting at the enemy and I am sunk in a hail of gunfire. I've sunk two ships and I put up to 30 shells into a Iowa and up to 20 shells into a Amagi like this. My excuse? I can't slow down or turn around. Keep in mind, even if I am playing in IDGAF mode I am still playing the similar to how I always have. I'm not just charging in the center to my death. I am charging on one side of the map to my death. :Smile_izmena::Smile_izmena::Smile_izmena::Smile_izmena:

Enjoy my short lifespan.

Edited by Vangm94

Sign in to follow this