Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Supporting Fire Friday - Battleships

9 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,504 posts
9,263 battles

image.png

*pictured - Marines from 1st Division, 5th Marines assembling off the coast of Okinawa while USS Tennessee (BB-43) provides gunfire support prior to "H-hour" on April 1, 1945*

Battleship captains, how do support your team's efforts in the heat of battle?

Well armored and heavily armed, battleships are the biggest and hardest hitting warships in the Fleet.

Not only do their big guns keep the enemy team at bay, but secondary batteries, anti-aircraft protection, and even her armor can support Allied efforts towards a victorious engagement.

When your battlewagon heads out with the Fleet, how best do you use it to support your team's march towards victory?

"I have just taken on a great responsibility. I will do my utmost to meet it." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#supportingfirefriday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,082 posts
4,438 battles

In terms of ranked, of course always go for the DDs. This is a key part of ranked and Musashis biggest failure. It cant shotgun the DDs unless they're within 5km. Even then, it is likley with AP because HE in musashi isnt a good idea. However DDs are Jean Barts strong points. 4 DD matches in a Jean are perfect. I can smack them for 4-6k dmg and have that main battery reload and great maneuverability to compensate. In heavy DD games I push up fairly close and cut loose on anything spotted. Supporting our DDs is supporting victory.

In randoms it is quite the opposite. I trust any given teammate just about as far as I could throw his ship. It's just a damage farm. Keep heavy fire on BBs and smack cruisers for everything they have. I always bear in mind dds, but unless they are dangerously close, or in a knife fight with an ally who needs support, I usually dont bother.

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,595 posts
13,479 battles

Use HE when something damacons :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,200 posts
13,844 battles

I typically support my team on the front lines in my BBs since I prefer close range or mid range fights in my BBs.

• Cool 2

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Well armored and heavily armed, battleships are the biggest and hardest hitting warships in the Fleet.

You've pretty much already answered the question - a few well placed AP salvos can do a lot to blunt a push, to make the enemy think that maybe they should be advancing in the other direction.

The BBs I play don't have much AA nor armor, nor hard to hit citadels... nor any fancy consumables like radar/hydro. So you won't typically find me front line pushing. But I try to make sure those that are have high caliber AP behind them. "Supporting Fire" describes it nicely.

• Cool 2

[RO-I]
Members
160 posts
1,144 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

image.png

*pictured - Marines from 1st Division, 5th Marines assembling off the coast of Okinawa while USS Tennessee (BB-43) provides gunfire support prior to "H-hour" on April 1, 1945*

Not only do their big guns keep the enemy team at bay, but secondary batteries, anti-aircraft protection, and even her armor can support Allied efforts towards a victorious engagement.

When your battlewagon heads out with the Fleet, how best do you use it to support your team's march towards victory?

"I have just taken on a great responsibility. I will do my utmost to meet it." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#supportingfirefriday

#anchorsaweigh

I keep asking myself: who on Earth had the time to take pictures in the middle of a fight for life and death? In those times the photo cameras didn't have the tiny dimensions of our digital cameras!

• Cool 1

[TURD]
Members
157 posts
3,557 battles
30 minutes ago, Rednecks_Slayer said:

I keep asking myself: who on Earth had the time to take pictures in the middle of a fight for life and death? In those times the photo cameras didn't have the tiny dimensions of our digital cameras!

Some of those war correspondents back then had stones, that's for sure. Some didn't come home either.

• Cool 2

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,504 posts
9,263 battles
On 2/22/2019 at 3:05 PM, Don_Alvarez said:

Some of those war correspondents back then had stones, that's for sure. Some didn't come home either.

The combat correspondent during World War 2 risked life and limb to cover the efforts on the front line, often times they too made the ultimate sacrifice only armed with a camera or sometimes just a notepad and a fistful of pencils or pens.

640px-EnterpriseBurningHellcat.jpg

This combat correspondent captured an F6F Hellcat as it hard landed on the deck of USS Enterprise (CV-6). 

The crewman seen is the Catapault Officer, Lt. Chewning, assisting the Hellcat pilot, Ens. Johnson, out of the cockpit and to safety.

Ens. Johnson received minor injuries and resumed flight status after recovering in sickbay. No other crewmen were injured during this incident.

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,030 posts

Combat camera ... it was recently deestablished... think it was John Ford that set it up at any rate... it was silly to get rid of it.  But the original question ... it's sort of a balancing act for a bb and the right choices vary between ships. The the that a bb has that no other ship does, is the ability to bounce/take damage and heal ... so in effect if you are getting through matches in a  BB without being hit, then someone else that could not heal as well as you had to take that damage for you and probably died. On the other hand, a ship has to be afloat to heal. So it's about taking damage, dishing it out and knowing when to get out. There is a lot of forecasting in US standard type bbs because the fight can outrun you or you can be left behind by your team pretty easily . 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this