You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

On multi-national tech trees

Where does India stand?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which tech tree do you think India should be grouped with?

• Commonwealth
    • Pan Asian
    • Don't care, where's the bacon?

14 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles

This has been bugging for quite some time and I finally figured I should just make a poll on it to ask what everyone else thinks. Which tech tree should India be grouped with? On the one hand this is primarily a WWII game, and during that period India's navy worked just as closely with the Royal Navy as Canada's, Australia's, and New Zealand's, plus India is still part of the British Commonwealth. On the other hand India is very different from Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in their relationship with the UK after the war, largely doing their own thing, and has more in common nowadays with the other nations of the Pan-Asian tree. Plus there's that whole "colonialism" thing to think about.

So where does India fit? They've got candidate ships that can be put into the game including three R-class destroyers, now where would we put them? Does Pan-Asia or the Commonwealth tree fit better?

0 posts

Royal Indian Navy, for the period of the game, is all you need to know. Some famous (if minor) engagements, including an epic standoff between a RIN corvette, a Dutch tanker and 2 IJN commerce raiders.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
3 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Royal Indian Navy, for the period of the game, is all you need to know. Some famous (if minor) engagements, including an epic standoff between a RIN corvette, a Dutch tanker and 2 IJN commerce raiders.

5 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

*shrugs* Like I said I just wanted to see where other people stood on this. Every time I see an Indian ship proposed the poster always lists it as a Pan Asian candidate, hence the uncertainty.

0 posts
Just now, NCC81701 said:

I haven't met any Indians that wanted to be associated with the British Empire. 

this is the other side of the story, modern India (and its navy) are not so fond of that period or the colonial administration/devolved armed forces. But this is too, a reason why inclusion of a RIN ship in WOWS is problematic. The RIN was undeniably a Commonwealth navy, crewed by sailors from all over the globe, and so difficult (perhaps) to identify with.

[KWF]
Members
4,039 posts
6,189 battles

The question is how far do you go time wise with Indian ships. If you depict ships up to 1947 then Commonwealth should be the way. If post independence designs will also be used I think they would fit more in the Pan-asia tree.

In my opinion an accurate depiction of the Indian Navy at the time represented by it's ships shouldn't have much trouble. They were part of the Commonwealth until 1947 and as harsh as it may have been to be under colonial rule, this is just what happened.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
7 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The question is how far do you go time wise with Indian ships. If you depict ships up to 1947 then Commonwealth should be the way. If post independence designs will also be used I think they would fit more in the Pan-asia tree.

But they didn't just get rid of ships from the RIN era after 1947, a lot of them, including the four ships that are prime candidates to be included, kept serving for years beyond that time. So do you put in the ship as-built as a Commonwealth ship, or with a later refit as a Pan Asian ship?

0 posts
4 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

But they didn't just get rid of ships from the RIN era after 1947, a lot of them, including the four ships that are prime candidates to be included, kept serving for years beyond that time. So do you put in the ship as-built as a Commonwealth ship, or with a later refit as a Pan Asian ship?

What was the name of that ex RN Indian CV? Would be wonderful to see her in game. INS Vikrant 300px-INS_Vikrant_circa_1984_carrying_a_ 

She fits the game's era. (launched in 45.)

[KWF]
Members
4,039 posts
6,189 battles
2 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

I guess that would depend on the level of refits/modernisation they received and how big the difference was in their Commonwealth form.

On the one hand the more I think about the more I believe they should just be Pan-Asian and evade any controversy. On the other hand it's kinda obscuring history and the fact that these ships served during WWII with the Commonwealth.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
Just now, LoveBote said:

What was the name of that ex RN Indian CV? Would be wonderful to see her in game. INS Vikrant 300px-INS_Vikrant_circa_1984_carrying_a_ 

She fits the game's era. (launched in 45.)

Already looked into that. She'd have to be fudged a LOT to fit because of her air group (everything besides the Br.1050 Alizé was either a jet or a helicopter) in Indian service, and the fact that she was modernized with an angled flight deck and reduced AA armament of only eight 40mm Bofors at India's request.

Members
4,083 posts
4,347 battles

Not sure why I entered into this thinking this would be about a nato nation and ships helped designed by several countries. I'd argue Commonwealth though. 

[4HIM]
Members
2,908 posts
11,244 battles

Where would they logically belong?  Commonwealth no doubt as that's what they were when in service during the war periods we're playing.

Where would they go to sell them?  Not sure.  There is probably some bad blood toward the Crown from the colonial days.  Would that impact sales or RIN ships?  I'm not market savvy enough to say or even offer an educated guess.

And by and large, I don't think bacon is such a staple in India.  At lest it wasn't on the menu when the MUCH better half was there a few years back.  

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,720 posts
13,934 battles
4 hours ago, Landsraad said:

*shrugs* Like I said I just wanted to see where other people stood on this. Every time I see an Indian ship proposed the poster always lists it as a Pan Asian candidate, hence the uncertainty.

No you were right and I wasn't trying to be a smart azz, but its actually an interesting read.

• Cool 1