You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

U.S.S. South Dakota premium ship

24 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles

I purpose that U.S.S. South Dakota (BB-57) be the newest premium ship be added alongside her sister ships, Massachusetts and Alabama.  Since she was the heaviest armed in AA (see attached links) among her sister ships (Alabama, Massachusetts and Indiana) her specialty would be Defensive AA fire. I am a little bias about her since my Father-in-Law served ('42-'46) aboard U.S.S. South Dakota.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.asp?ship_id=USS-South-Dakota-BB57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_(1939)

After you've read the above links provided you'll agree she should be sailing among her sister ships. 

Semper Fi

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,413 posts
10,140 battles

The special ability will be for random power loss and the inability to fire the weapons, steer, or change speed. :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 5

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,168 posts
4,816 battles

One day maybe, but honestly I don't think we need another sister ship when there are so many other ships and classes that haven't made it into the game.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,576 posts
2,611 battles

More the merrier right!

However please not at tier 8. We already have 3 tier 8 US premiums if you count Mass Black

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles

Just think,  one day you feel like specializing in secondaries and the next day you feel like specializing in AA after teaming up with a friend who's using his/her tier 8 CV.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,327 posts
15,768 battles
3 hours ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

I purpose that U.S.S. South Dakota (BB-57) newest premium ship be added alongside her sister ships, Massachusetts and Alabama.  Since she was the heaviest armed in AA (see attached links) among her sister ships (Alabama, Massachusetts and Indiana) her specialty would be Defensive AA fire. I am a little bias about her since my Father-in-Law served ('42-'46) aboard U.S.S. South Dakota.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.asp?ship_id=USS-South-Dakota-BB57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_(1939)

After you've read the above links provided you'll agree she should be sailing among her sister ships. 

Semper Fi

There are currently 5, (count them … 1, 2, 3, 4 5) Tier 8 USN BBs at tier 5 (although I will allow that one is a supertester only ship); how freakin' many does the game need when there are so many, many, MANY other alternatives?

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles
19 minutes ago, Umikami said:

There are currently 5, (count them … 1, 2, 3, 4 5) Tier 8 USN BBs at tier 5 (although I will allow that one is a supertester only ship); how freakin' many does the game need when there are so many, many, MANY other alternatives?

I'm not sticking a gun to you or anyone's head to purchase it if approved.  Players have a choice... buy or not. As time moves on the Premium store will need something fresh, different from tech ships.  Although another South Dakota is the same ship-class she would offer something else missing from the US BB line,AA defensive fire. Current CV meta would suggest a leap in sales to have such a ship. Moreover, some of us collect historical WWI and WWII ships.  However, you would deny the community of said ship(s) in the future.  I believe you are trolling here since you..... wait ...hold on the only 3 US BBs found from your profile are Arizona, New Mexico and Charleston.

Sir I suggest you move on this doesn't apply to you.  

• Bad 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,327 posts
15,768 battles
1 minute ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

As time moves on the Premium store will need something fresh, different from tech ships.

Italian ships, Pan-European ships, Pan-American ships, second US BB line, Austria-Hungarian ships; I would rather have any and all of these before we get another SD tier 8 clone.

5 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Current CV meta would suggest a leap in sales to have such a ship.

The current CV meta is in such a state of flux that neither you, nor I, nor the developers themselves can predict how it will be next week.

6 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

However, you would deny the community of said ship(s) in the future.  I believe you are trolling here since you..... wait ...hold on the only 3 US BBs found from your profile are Arizona, New Mexico and Charleston.

I'm not denying the community anything; I simply have different priorities. There are many more USN BBs that could be premiums; there are many more BBs of most nations which could be premiums. Tier 8 in the USN line is more than well represented, not unlike the tier 5 IJN BBs or the tier 7 RN BBs. In one sentence you state how the game needs more diversity, and in the next you promote a ship which already has more than enough representation. That is a very hypocritical remark …. be ashamed.

Oh, and FYI, Charleston is not a BB, but Ark Beta is. TRY to be somewhat more correct in the future.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,107 posts
4,337 battles

I'm going to say no for two reasons.

First, like everyone else has said, we don't really need another tier 8 premium battleship for the US. Especially since those other two premiums are the same class of ship. Alabama and Massachusetts are doing their job quite nicely, there's no reason to throw in another ~$50 South Dakota with a gimmick to muddy the waters at the moment. If anything the US's next tier 8 battleship premium should be Washington just to offer a change of ship class, but even that should be a ways off since we've got more lines and nations still to add.

Second, there's more than likely going to be a second US battleship line coming at some point, the devs have said that there's plenty of material for at least another line and people keep popping up recommendations for a US battleship line split every few weeks or so, so the idea has merit. If/when that does happen I say South Dakota, as the name ship of her class, deserves to be in the tech tree. She'd slot in quite nicely as a North Carolina alternative, with Alabama and Massachusetts already implemented most of the modelling work is done, it just makes sense. I'm not saying that this will happen any time soon, but it's very likely to happen within a couple of years or so.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles

Only smart as the info provided.  I cannot speak about IJN as I mainly play USN/French line.  Ah but you over looked the gimmicky trait of AA defensive fire. There isn't a BB with that yet.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,107 posts
4,337 battles
1 minute ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Only smart as the info provided.  I cannot speak about IJN as I mainly play USN/French line.  Ah but you over looked the gimmicky trait of AA defensive fire. There isn't a BB with that yet.

HMS Hood says "'ello guvner!"

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles
5 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

I'm going to say no for two reasons.

First, like everyone else has said, we don't really need another tier 8 premium battleship for the US. Especially since those other two premiums are the same class of ship. Alabama and Massachusetts are doing their job quite nicely, there's no reason to throw in another ~$50 South Dakota with a gimmick to muddy the waters at the moment. If anything the US's next tier 8 battleship premium should be Washington just to offer a change of ship class, but even that should be a ways off since we've got more lines and nations still to add.

Second, there's more than likely going to be a second US battleship line coming at some point, the devs have said that there's plenty of material for at least another line and people keep popping up recommendations for a US battleship line split every few weeks or so, so the idea has merit. If/when that does happen I say South Dakota, as the name ship of her class, deserves to be in the tech tree. She'd slot in quite nicely as a North Carolina alternative, with Alabama and Massachusetts already implemented most of the modelling work is done, it just makes sense. I'm not saying that this will happen any time soon, but it's very likely to happen within a couple of years or so.

Nice to know a fast battleship line is being considered. Shame that WG hadn't though of a BB-Ship Class where you can change out hull for AA (SD , hull Secondaries (MA), hull for radar(IN) and hull for (AL). Depending on what hull you select from would be the name of that ship.

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles
7 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

HMS Hood says "'ello guvner!"

Hello HMS Hood, Battle-cruiser how ya doing?.

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles

Are you all complaining for the sake of complaining?  Would bother you seeing her in the premium shop and couldn't stop yourself from purchasing it?  Did you bother to read SD's uniqueness over her sister ships?  From Top to Bottom are South Dakota, Massachusetts, Alabama, Indiana and North Carolina.

South Dakota.png

Massachusetts.png

Alabama Armament.png

Indiana.png

North Carolina.png

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[MOH]
Members
433 posts
1,703 battles

They are right, minus the complaining.  What the US line needs is more premium variety at T7 and T9.  I guess that T9 slot is being filled by the USS...Georgia?  But T7 could easily be represented by the 14" version of the original North Carolina, sans all that AA. 

If any USS South Dakota is to be introduced to the game, I want it to be a modernized USS South Dakota 1920 version at T9.  Booyah.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles

How many USN Battleships do we need in Tier VIII?

North Carolina

Massachusetts / Massachusetts B

Alabama / Alabama ST (very rare)

All but North Carolina are from the same class.  SD doesn't need to be in because there are already most of her sisters in the game.  I can see Washington making it in as a NC-class but that is still having a sea of USN BBs that are in all intents of purposes, pretty similar to each other in the same tier.

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,413 posts
10,140 battles
24 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

How many USN Battleships do we need in Tier VIII?

North Carolina

Massachusetts / Massachusetts B

Alabama / Alabama ST (very rare)

All but North Carolina are from the same class.  SD doesn't need to be in because there are already most of her sisters in the game.  I can see Washington making it in as a NC-class but that is still having a sea of USN BBs that are in all intents of purposes, pretty similar to each other in the same tier.

The biggest reason to not have an SD premium is it is the class ship and should be saved for a future additional US BB line.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles
On 3/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, BrushWolf said:

The biggest reason to not have an SD premium is it is the class ship and should be saved for a future additional US BB line.

That would be nice to have Battle Ship "X".  I have my Father-in-Law's (USN 1939-1946) two awards "Solemn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of the Deep"  Aug 1942, and Northern Domain of the Polar Bear Crossing the Arctic Circle Jun 1943.    

[TBOW]
Members
1,214 posts
11,342 battles

I understand the desire to add the SoDak. I personally would prefer USS Washington, which defeated the Kirishima after SoDak suffered the power failure and the DDs were scattered/sunk. Heck, give it Atlanta radar into the bargain. 

• Cool 2

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles
On 2/24/2019 at 8:07 AM, Ranari said:

They are right, minus the complaining.  What the US line needs is more premium variety at T7 and T9.  I guess that T9 slot is being filled by the USS...Georgia?  But T7 could easily be represented by the 14" version of the original North Carolina, sans all that AA. 

If any USS South Dakota is to be introduced to the game, I want it to be a modernized USS South Dakota 1920 version at T9.  Booyah.

http://www.steelnavy.com/IHPSouthDakota.htm  Because of the naval treaty she wasn't build that way.

[WOLF6]
Members
449 posts
5,349 battles
21 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

I understand the desire to add the SoDak. I personally would prefer USS Washington, which defeated the Kirishima after SoDak suffered the power failure and the DDs were scattered/sunk. Heck, give it Atlanta radar into the bargain. 

This would be my preference as well , the Washington handed out one hell of a beat down in that battle .

[DISST]
969 posts

The 1920 sd is a completely different ship design.   There really isn't any commonality between the two designs besides the name.