You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GrandAdmiral_2016

I might just learn to like IJN DDs....

10 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
1,852 posts
17,977 battles

So I got Hatsuharu out of a mission Crackerjack box and ground her to go one better, get Shiratsuyu (Shigure's division sister ship in many fights), and see what that side of the IJN DD line was like. Beyond low tiers I have not been big on playing IJN ships other than the ARP ships and those I got for free ingame (Musashi, Katori, Mikasa, Tachibana Lima, Fuso and Ishizuchi). Yubari is the only ship I paid for (on sale for 3 bucks at one point). I played Shiratsuyu in Co-op until I had the B-hull and the fire control upgrade. I figured it was now or never for a splash in Randoms. I ended up in a 4 CV game in a weak AA ship. This is the result. I am not a good DD player at the best of times and have less games in DDs than any other type except CVs. I played her as a support ship and tried as much as possible to stay invisible throughout as with two red CVs, rushing the caps is a death sentence. I could get used to this if I get consistent in her...this is my first real game in the thing...

shot-19.02.19_16.18.07-0015.jpg

..and this is the scorecard....

shot-19.02.19_16.40.38-0101.jpg

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[PLPT]
Members
818 posts
7,866 battles

You have a mild IJN DD fever but don’t worry, T8 radar will cure you.

Edited by n00bot

[HELLS]
Members
1,852 posts
17,977 battles
12 minutes ago, n00bot said:

You have a mild IJN DD fever but don’t worry, T8 radar will cure you.

True. Already seeing that in my other DDs anyway and none of them have torpedoes as potent as the IJN DDs upgraded ones, and many have better concealment and better guns at mid-tiers than the IJN ships. We shall see how it goes...

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,355 posts
9,970 battles

I probably like my Japanese DDs overall more than any other line... just recently re earned my Hat and I too have put up some dandy games...  enjoy!  The only DD I like better than most of my Japanese is the Jutland.  I still take my Shimi out in the dangerous waters of CV infestation...just have to be careful.

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
314 posts

Hmmm, a Haragumo/Shima div shadowing each other ...I wonder. Would it work ? :cap_cool:

Meh just a pipe dream .

[CVA16]
Members
2,780 posts
10,470 battles

You did well inspite of having 2 CVs in the match. You were obviously spotted since you shot down 6 planes.

Shiratsuyu is definitely a DD that lives on the knifes edge. IF you can remain unseen, you can (often) do well. With TRB you can be an awesome ninja torp boat. With smoke you are a pretty meh DD. Either way, if the enemy is WASD savvy or has lots of hydro, you can waste a lot of torps. Did you have smoke or TRB?

I always groaned when I saw a CV in the match in the old system. Haven't tried my Shira yet with the new meta. Didn't want to be spotted all the time or spend the whole game in the shadow of an AA cruiser. Glad to see some can still have success with it.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,406 battles

image.thumb.png.c56767d705a9b0a67f42c448ed9fe167.pngimage.thumb.png.b7a6d1bbe32957231cd869bd8ea93054.png

Akatsuki T7, first Kraken in a DD. Ran around with no AA whole game. One red CV, Lexington, didn't do near as well as ours, which came in ahead of me in total damage. Theirs came in mid pack. Only their Wichita and me left, won by points.

[WORX]
Members
2,552 posts
13,870 battles
3 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

which came in ahead of me in total damage.

What depresses me is... 6 Floods only 269 DMG...Not good.

[KRAK]
Members
936 posts
11,406 battles

I have the base Type 8 Mod 2 torps package, maybe a bit better when I get the type 90 Mod 1s.

[SYN]
Members
627 posts
7,200 battles

IJN DDs are a blast. I was terrible in Shiratsu. But the Hatsuharu, the Yugumo, and the Shima are beasts.

If you really don't want to play against radar, put a 10 point captain in the Mutsuki and go hunting. Just never use your guns until two volleys will kill the red and no one else is around.